Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

JoeMB posted:

I love the screenshots for NZBGet showing what they're downloading.

Like they would be downloading anything else. What a ridiculous idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
A lot of times adding the EU servers for your existing providers can help, but not always.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't know if this happens all the time and I've just not noticed it, but there's been a really bad looking scifi flick uploaded literally 30 times over the last 10 days. It doesn't seem to have been DMCAd at all, it just seems to be there to flood the listings. I wouldn't be surprised if its the producers of the film actually uploading it for publicity, or to try and sue people or something I dunno. It's just odd.

And the sad thing is, looking at the poster for it I know that 10 year old me would have rented this for sure. I might watch it out of curiosity now, dammit - their plan has worked!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Huh. I thought nzbget was a web server / daemon like sabnzbd? It looks like an app from that screenshot, unless its a really stripped down screenshot of a web browser?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

Huh. I thought nzbget was a web server / daemon like sabnzbd? It looks like an app from that screenshot, unless its a really stripped down screenshot of a web browser?

Yeah, it's a daemon and that screenshot was the webapp with the browser chrome trimmed off.
It also pretty much owns.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Any idea why certain downloads from supernews max out my connection and others (older stuff) only utilize about 50%? Do older articles get put in some lower performing category or something?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It's probably churning through articles that don't exist or hitting your backup if you have one set. You can just watch the debug in real time to verify what is happening, I forget how to do this on SAB since its been awhile that I used it but in nzbget you just click on messages and watch.

Edit: oh and possibly check retention too.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 18, 2014

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

cr0y posted:

Any idea why certain downloads from supernews max out my connection and others (older stuff) only utilize about 50%? Do older articles get put in some lower performing category or something?
I've noticed the same behavior on many-years-old articles on Giganews.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
It seems at least that Highwinds has acquired readnews which BlockNews is resellers of. http://www.readnews.com/dmca.php "Please send all DMCA notices to dmca@highwinds-media.com."

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I asked this over in the Cutting Cable thread, but it's probably more appropriate here: I got Sickbeard and SABnzbd working last night, but I can't seem to figure out how to get Sickbeard to automatically download when something on my list appears - I wind up having to hit the magnifying glass icon on the right to get the download started. Is there a way around that? To be honest, I can take just as much time in my NZB indexer of choice, download the file (and be more selective about it,) and have GrabIt automatically repair and extract the files.

Also, what are people's thoughts on NzbDrone? I saw a few people elsewhere recommend it as a better alternative to Sickbeard.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I asked this over in the Cutting Cable thread, but it's probably more appropriate here: I got Sickbeard and SABnzbd working last night, but I can't seem to figure out how to get Sickbeard to automatically download when something on my list appears - I wind up having to hit the magnifying glass icon on the right to get the download started. Is there a way around that? To be honest, I can take just as much time in my NZB indexer of choice, download the file (and be more selective about it,) and have GrabIt automatically repair and extract the files.

Also, what are people's thoughts on NzbDrone? I saw a few people elsewhere recommend it as a better alternative to Sickbeard.

Yea it should be doing that automatically, I haven't used it in a while so I've forgotten everything about it. The main pro of NZBdrone is that when a download fails it will download another on instead and it's also getting updated much more frequently.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Make sure its set to "wanted". I don't use Sickbeard anymore but if something is set to skipped then it won't bother. You can set Wanted to be the default state of new things you add.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ah, ok. I'll have to check out how to toggle "Wanted" to be the default. As far as I know, everything appears without being in a category.

Have you guys switched over to NZBdrone, or are you using something else?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SB also only checks every 30 minutes by default. You can change the time if you want. Don't expect it to grab stuff the second it's posted. You should get the stuff pretty close to after it has been posted though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

pixaal posted:

SB also only checks every 30 minutes by default. You can change the time if you want. Don't expect it to grab stuff the second it's posted. You should get the stuff pretty close to after it has been posted though.

I let it run overnight. It also did a weird thing - I've got a folder set up for the file, and while Sickbeard/SABnzdb did place the file in the correct folder, it also left a duplicate copy in the root folder (i.e. a copy in "TV" and a copy in "TV/TVshow." This may be my fault though, as I was making modifications to the download configurations while the file was downloading. I'll have to confirm tonight.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ah, ok. I'll have to check out how to toggle "Wanted" to be the default. As far as I know, everything appears without being in a category.

Yeah I use NZBDrone, its a bit different than SB but the fundamentals are similar.

If you're having issues with SB and duplicates make sure you setup post processing correctly. There are a few tutorials for it online but if you can't get it then post and we'll help you out.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think you should switch to NZBDrone while you are still setting everything up.
I switched a few months back when I was getting a bunch of failed downloads and manually having to replace them with sickbeard became to much of a pain. NZBDrone seems alot smarter feature wise. And it runs faster than sickbeard was on my server.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'll take a look at my post processing and give NZBdrone a try. Thanks guys.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Does NZBDrone have an internal TV feed like SB does? It's become such a pain in the rear end to maintain functioning NZB aggregator site accounts that I've been falling back on SB's feed a lot until I can get an NZB indexer up and running on my server.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lawen posted:

Does NZBDrone have an internal TV feed like SB does? It's become such a pain in the rear end to maintain functioning NZB aggregator site accounts that I've been falling back on SB's feed a lot until I can get an NZB indexer up and running on my server.

Nope, it has has no internal index. I don't know what you mean about maintaining NZB indexers though, I just set them up in Lastpass and then fill the info into NZBDrone, done. I've had the same set of 5 for years now. Hell my setup is overkill, many people just go with 1-2 solid ones. You can also setup your own index on a fileserver if you like but personally I found adjusting the regex and adding groups every few months to be too annoying.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lawen posted:

Do you mean sites going up and down? The only site I can remember having issues with was nzb.su and I just kept my nzbs.org and dognzb accounts. Of course there is always a chance a site might get nuked but its certainly a lot better then post-newzbin. If you need an invite you can PM me I probably have invites laying around.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah exactly. Or just spend like 30 minutes going through the Usenet subreddit, so many sites advertise there, free and otherwise. Sign up for a bunch of accounts, spend 10 mins throwing them all into Drone/CP and then forget about it.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I've been running Sickbeard for a few years since I built my NAS. In a couple of months I'll be building a new machine, and all this talk of NZB Drone is making me wonder what to install on the new NAS. Does anyone know of a comparison between the two? I only have one indexer other than Sickbeard's own so that gives me pause.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

modeski posted:

I've been running Sickbeard for a few years since I built my NAS. In a couple of months I'll be building a new machine, and all this talk of NZB Drone is making me wonder what to install on the new NAS. Does anyone know of a comparison between the two? I only have one indexer other than Sickbeard's own so that gives me pause.

NZBDrone is cool, but as of a couple months ago it had a really annoying bug where it would just randomly decide to go backfill old stuff that it had already grabbed and that I had already watched and deleted.

It was marked as a bug by the dev, and they said they fixed it, but it kept randomly downloading stuff. So I got tired of it and uninstalled it. The process for installing and uninstalling it is also pretty user-unfriendly for Windows users.

Basically, it's nice beta software. Ultimately I came back to Sickbeard which I never really had any problems with. In a year I'll try Drone again to see if it has improved.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
NzbDrone has an "Ignore Deleted Episodes" switch (which is off by default), plus if it finds episodes that aired >14 days ago then you can have it add them to Sabnzbd as paused.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Oben posted:

NzbDrone has an "Ignore Deleted Episodes" switch (which is off by default), plus if it finds episodes that aired >14 days ago then you can have it add them to Sabnzbd as paused.

I'm aware of these switches, but the bug persisted in spite of using the former switch, and clearing my queue of paused downloads got annoying pretty quickly.

Couch hasn't displayed odd behavior like this in years. Drone will get there someday too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's weird, I've never encountered that and my library is pretty massive. The development is pretty active so I would check it out again sometime. I stopped using the DroneFactory functionality awhile now that they added proper PP functionality.

They are effectively the same thing, my preference for NZBDrone is just the failed download functionality (great for grabbing older stuff that might be nuked) and the better interface. I used Sickbeard for a few years though and there is nothing wrong with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bobfather posted:

The process for installing and uninstalling it is also pretty user-unfriendly for Windows users.

This is funny because it should be easy in Windows.

After spending a couple hours trying to get mono 3.x installed on Ubuntu 14.04 yesterday I gave up on NzbDrone...again.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Probably easier to just run it in a VM (or just keep using Sickbeard) :)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

This is funny because it should be easy in Windows.

After spending a couple hours trying to get mono 3.x installed on Ubuntu 14.04 yesterday I gave up on NzbDrone...again.

Actually you're right - its nzbget that is pretty user unfriendly to install on Windows.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I doubt it but does anyone in here use a powerline network adapter? I've got to use one where my pc is set up and I find that half the time I try to download poo poo my speeds are a fraction of what they should be. I should be right around 3.0 MBps but often it will drop down to 500-600 kbps for no particular reason, then on another download it will go back up to full speed. I've checked all my settings and everything seems to be set right so I'm guessing its my powerline setup? I'm on a newsgroupdirect unlimited account.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

visuvius posted:

I doubt it but does anyone in here use a powerline network adapter? I've got to use one where my pc is set up and I find that half the time I try to download poo poo my speeds are a fraction of what they should be. I should be right around 3.0 MBps but often it will drop down to 500-600 kbps for no particular reason, then on another download it will go back up to full speed. I've checked all my settings and everything seems to be set right so I'm guessing its my powerline setup? I'm on a newsgroupdirect unlimited account.

I use a PowerLine adapter and I get full speed (~50mbps) constant. It's much more likely your server simply searching for missing articles.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I use a powerline adapter and I get my full Fios speed (75mbps). Are you having issues with other things like streaming? If not then it's probably missing articles like Gozinblux said.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

visuvius posted:

This should be really easy to test. When you see a slowdown, pause your downloads and run a speed test. If you get ~3.0Mbps it's not your powerline.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I used powerline adapters, and speeds were complete poo poo. There'd be the poo poo days where you could squeeze 1MB/s over it, but more often it'd be more in the 3-500kB/s mood, and then you had the periods where it just wouldn't connect at all. Redid my setup and upgraded hardware so I could use wifi instead, just couldn't take no more of that slow-rear end temperamental bullshit.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Lawen posted:

This should be really easy to test. When you see a slowdown, pause your downloads and run a speed test. If you get ~3.0Mbps it's not your powerline.

I'm a retarded baby and should have done this sooner I suppose. Yeah at this point I'm guessing you guys are right and its probably searching for the missing articles since my speeds seem fine otherwise.

Is the solution for this to try a different provider and/or try a backup provider like a lot of people in here have?

Mighty Zoltar
Aug 18, 2004

I AM A PIECE OF SHIT. IF YOU SEE ME ON THE STREET, PLEASE STAB ME.
Anybody know how to change your email address on nzbs.org? I will be losing a domain in a couple of months where my account is registered, so want to get it updated. The site is not helpful at all

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Mighty Zoltar posted:

Anybody know how to change your email address on nzbs.org? I will be losing a domain in a couple of months where my account is registered, so want to get it updated. The site is not helpful at all

I'm guessing the "Contact Us" form is your best bet? Cause yeah there is not a whole hell of a lot to that site.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
nzbget 13.0 is now stable, server stats tracking seems to be the most notable feature. In typical nzbget fashion it is difficult to find but if you click on the little clock below the speed meter and click Total Downloaded you'll see a breakdown. It also shows you during the download what percentage of articles are being taken from your primary vs backup servers, pretty nifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So it seems most people are preferring nzbget + nzbdrone over sab + sick these days.