Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DemeaninDemon posted:

Do you only drink Idaho Silver?

Absolut, Smirnoff and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paranoid randroid posted:

have u ever eaten a donut & thought, man this could use some stale reeses puffs or maybe a pepto bismol glaze? come on down to voodoo donuts.

Have you ever wanted a donut shaped like a massive dick and balls?! Have you ever wanted a donut with M&Ms on it named the Marshall Mathers Donut?! Have you ever wanted to get married in a donut shop?!?!?!?! Boy howdy do I have the place. For. You.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I loving hate Voodoo Donuts because I live in the city but commute to the suburbs for work, and everyone in my office gets so excited when some rear end in a top hat brings them in. This lovely stale donut has lovely stale froot loops on it! Well this one has a cold piece of old bacon! Amazing! :wth:

Tonalli's Donuts on NE Alberta rules though

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
haha hey guys sorry im late for the meeting, but i brought donuts! *plops bakers dozen of Magnum Dick-nuts down on conference table*

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My power is out :/

And my batteries are at like 50% :ohdear: GF on her way to visit family. I'm about to be bored as gently caress. What am I supposed to do with no power, no internet, and no company? Maybe have a wank, I guess :/

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ReidRansom posted:

And my batteries are at like 50% :ohdear: GF on her way to visit family. I'm about to be bored as gently caress. What am I supposed to do with no power, no internet, and no company? Maybe have a wank, I guess :/

But you said you'd have no internet! :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReidRansom posted:

Read a book, dumbass.

Wait, if the power's out, how are you online?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Read a book, dumbass.

Cell service and Awful app?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DemeaninDemon posted:

Cell service and Awful app?

Damned kids with their smartphones, get offa mah lawn!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Chantilly Say posted:

I've honestly never even tried it because they only sell it in the airport, to tourists.

Voodoo is a local donut shop that specializes in making 'weird'/obscene donuts and in getting people to tell tourists 'you gotta go to Voodoo it's a Portland thing' and they're better than Krispy Kreme but not by that much.

Actually, I should be fair: if you show up when there's not a line out the door and you want a donut, the cinnamon blunt donut is actually pretty good.

The Dunkin' Donuts in my old neighborhood turned into a check cashing place a while back. Ever since, I haven't had the heart to get donuts from anywhere else; their stuff wasn't necessarily good, but it at least knows that it's mediocre, unlike loving Voodoo and Krispy Kreme. :sigh:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Read a book, dumbass.

I have a single candle. It'll have to do.

But yeah, mobile+tablet until the batteries go.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hedera Helix posted:

The Dunkin' Donuts in my old neighborhood turned into a check cashing place a while back. Ever since, I haven't had the heart to get donuts from anywhere else; their stuff wasn't necessarily good, but it at least knows that it's mediocre, unlike loving Voodoo and Krispy Kreme. :sigh:

Dunkin' gets a pass from me just from the nostalgia of spending years 4-9 of my life in Connecticut. I ran on Dunkin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReidRansom posted:

I have a single candle. It'll have to do.

But yeah, mobile+tablet until the batteries go.

In the future I would recommend stocking on flashlights. They're wicked cheap, and the LED ones are pretty darn strong, good enough to read to comfortably if you prop one next to your head.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Miltank posted:

I went with New Amsterdam, got a 750 for $12.00.
Good choice!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A vodka that has an actual taste, and a taste that is good, is Prairie vodka. I heartily endorse and recommend it. It's not even that expensive. Although it is made from corn so I guess it's more of a diluted moonshine that calls itself a vodka.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In the future I would recommend stocking on flashlights. They're wicked cheap, and the LED ones are pretty darn strong, good enough to read to comfortably if you prop one next to your head.

My nephew keeps taking my flashlights, lol. He's 3 and I keep buying cheap ones so I let him. I may still have a head lamp around here somewhere though, but finding it in the dark...

Kinda wish I'd actually bought all the disaster preparedness poo poo on my amazon list right about now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
An actual lamp that lights up the room can create quite a nice ambiance.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Chantilly Say posted:

Dunkin' gets a pass from me just from the nostalgia of spending years 4-9 of my life in Connecticut. I ran on Dunkin.

I feel a lot of nostalgia about them, as well, and I did genuinely like some of their donuts (mainly their Boston creme).

cheerfullydrab posted:

A vodka that has an actual taste, and a taste that is good, is Prairie vodka. I heartily endorse and recommend it. It's not even that expensive. Although it is made from corn so I guess it's more of a diluted moonshine that calls itself a vodka.

This feels like sacrilege, somehow.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

No matter now, power is back on :)

But yeah, warm color lamps are where it's at. I usually switch from overhead to a warm, low wattage lamp right around the same time f.lux kicks in.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hedera Helix posted:

I feel a lot of nostalgia about them, as well, and I did genuinely like some of their donuts (mainly their Boston creme).

This feels like sacrilege, somehow.
These things can be said about Prairie vodka:

1. It's tasty
2. It costs ~$20 for a 750 ml bottle
3. The label says vodka
4. It'll get you drunk

Everything else, up for debate.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I know this is difficult for you to understand, but this is how people from states that produce things of quality act.
I know how it is. Perhaps you would like to buy an artisanal, fair trade world's first domed stadium?

It's vintage and everyone from Bob Dylan to Elvis Presley to Billie Jean King has performed there. It might even be twee if you cover it in frayed denim and some leather. Maybe hang a beard on it. I dunno.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

paranoid randroid posted:

:ssh: voodoo donuts are really overrated and usually just involve slapping a bunch of dumb poo poo on a pastry, so that beer is a p good representation of the brand

Bacon should be eaten with beer, not brewed in beer. I will fight those that disagree. :colbert:

I'll be in Portland for a family wedding in a couple of weeks, I must see this travesty in person. And eat terrible donuts.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
There's a local bakery a short drive from here that makes really good donuts and mexican pastries. What I'm saying is I pity all of you.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Cercadelmar posted:

There's a local bakery a short drive from here that makes really good donuts and mexican pastries. What I'm saying is I pity all of you.

:yayclod::hf::yayclod: I love walking to my corner bakery for an early morning treat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

I know how it is. Perhaps you would like to buy an artisanal, fair trade world's first domed stadium?

Why would you not mention the Presidential Suite?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cercadelmar posted:

We have those in Portland too. Also Vietnamese and Chinese bakeries. It's pretty great.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Fallacy- false dichotomy.

"all of you all" is redundant, exactly.

Deny. This usage draws the distinction between "all of you all" and "some of you all", meaning that both words are addressed to the entire group, but the latter phrase concerns information needed by only a subset of the group. Southerners like to hear themselves talk, and they like everyone else to hear them talk as well, even if not everyone is the object of their conversation.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

sup?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

nm, people want to start a war with Russia because hot nuclear fire is good for everyone

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Watchin' Kerbal Space Program videos. I need to play this game again.

(holy poo poo my phone knew the word Kerbal)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

pretty upset about child murder atm

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

mdemone posted:

Deny. This usage draws the distinction between "all of you all" and "some of you all", meaning that both words are addressed to the entire group, but the latter phrase concerns information needed by only a subset of the group. Southerners like to hear themselves talk, and they like everyone else to hear them talk as well, even if not everyone is the object of their conversation.

To the extent that it is used in this fashion it is lovely, because it connotates ambiguous meaning to "y'all", where it otherwise serves a perfectly valid and otherwise underserved grammatic use. This is why "y'all" is great, but it's the only good product of the horrible barbaric Southern culture(that I am from). Even when the South lucks out and produces a useful and valid addition to the english language, they still manage to gently caress it up and use it wrong.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

razorrozar posted:

Watchin' Kerbal Space Program videos. I need to play this game again.

(holy poo poo my phone knew the word Kerbal)

oh splode from the auspol gbs thread was streaming it earlier.

i just got drunk instead and watched community.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

but now i'm out of wine.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Listening to death metal and drinking coffee.

This how I start every morning.

Also getting excited for my 36 hours for work in 3 days starting tonight. :/

The good thing about working that much is I don't have time to be depressed by the news for a few days!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fact that they make Red Stripe tallboys should obviate all other beer chat outside of "Oh boy, I sure love giant cans of Red Stripe".

But apparently I'm the last man alive that prefers lager to ale.

The endless proliferation of IPAs must be stopped. HMMMM I'd like to become a beer brewer, but I don't know poo poo about brewing. What if I were to mask the taste of my beer behind a wall of bitter, bitter hops! The reason it's called an "India" pale ale is because the British needed some way to get beer overland from Britian to India during the Raj without it spoiling. Hops is a natural preservative so they loaded the poo poo up with hops, not out of taste reasons but out of necessity. So people that drink and like IPAs are bad beer drinkers. Same deal with gin and tonics. The two ingredients weren't paired because they went so well together, they literally had to put gin in tonic water to get soldiers to drink their disgusting medicine.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm sick of overly hopped beers. It tends to be a per-brewery thing. I went to local micropub where they make a variety of house brews and 5/9 of the house drafts they had were some variety of hopped pale ale. gently caress that. At least in the last couple years multiple breweries have opened in my area and they tend to focus either on belgians or weirder poo poo like gose.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I HATE GODDANM ALES AND THATS ALL EVERYONE MAKES gently caress SWEET BEER

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Weissbier is really tasty though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

The fact that they make Red Stripe tallboys should obviate all other beer chat outside of "Oh boy, I sure love giant cans of Red Stripe".

But apparently I'm the last man alive that prefers lager to ale.

The endless proliferation of IPAs must be stopped. HMMMM I'd like to become a beer brewer, but I don't know poo poo about brewing. What if I were to mask the taste of my beer behind a wall of bitter, bitter hops! The reason it's called an "India" pale ale is because the British needed some way to get beer overland from Britian to India during the Raj without it spoiling. Hops is a natural preservative so they loaded the poo poo up with hops, not out of taste reasons but out of necessity. So people that drink and like IPAs are bad beer drinkers. Same deal with gin and tonics. The two ingredients weren't paired because they went so well together, they literally had to put gin in tonic water to get soldiers to drink their disgusting medicine.
I'm with you on the loving IPAs. They're fine but goddamn ducking into convenient bars to watch World Cup games on tap they would have like 6 IPAs, some weird fruit beer a Belgian thing a white beer a wheat beer a red ale (always red I don't know why) etc. Put a pilsner/lager in there that isn't Coors/Bud/Etc. you dicks!

• Locked thread