Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Silk Road recently stocked a high quality Yancha.

http://www.silkroadteas.com/wuyi-yan-cha/

Any more per pound then this and you're getting into rare collector's teas that aren't worth the cost.

Their top shelf Ti Kuan Yin is very good as well.

http://www.silkroadteas.com/drunken-concubine-zui-gui/

Also tried some yellow tea recently

http://www.silkroadteas.com/fragrant-sprout-xiang-ya/

I've been hesitant to try this with my history of destroying delicate tea. If I take the trouble to brew it carefully its been very good, like a Chinese green but a bit more earthy, less grassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yancha's really gone up in price lately :( Teavivre still stocks a pretty competitively priced da hong pao though. I've had some of Silk Road's ma liu me TGY and wasn't terribly impressed, how do you like their drunken concubine? Though to be honest it's probably because I just really prefer my TGY heavily roasted.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Is it just me or is Twinings Lapsang Souchong a bit on the weak side? I mean, yeah, Twinings. But really.

Yes. If you want a decent lapsang souchong, try Adagio's. I got some in their pyramid bags for making at work, but note they are NOT individually wrapped, so store in a tin to contain the smoke. If you want really good lapsang souchong, try Upton's Imperial.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

milpreve posted:

Yes. If you want a decent lapsang souchong, try Adagio's. I got some in their pyramid bags for making at work, but note they are NOT individually wrapped, so store in a tin to contain the smoke. If you want really good lapsang souchong, try Upton's Imperial.

You know, I just might. Thanks for the recommendations!

I should probably not be drinking this much hot tea in July.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Verdant's 5 samplers for $5 is back. They're not my favorite vendor but it's still a drat good deal. http://verdanttea.com/teas/5-for-5-tea-samples/

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I also really like the Adagio lapsang. The only other one I have tried is the loose leaf from Wegmans, it was okay but I found it comparably weak. I do very much like having a grocery store nearby that stocks loose leaf tea though, so Wegmans rules.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Yancha's really gone up in price lately :( Teavivre still stocks a pretty competitively priced da hong pao though. I've had some of Silk Road's ma liu me TGY and wasn't terribly impressed, how do you like their drunken concubine? Though to be honest it's probably because I just really prefer my TGY heavily roasted.

It is the best TGY I've ever had. It is light, maybe not the lightest, but pretty light.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You are welcome. Lapsang souchong is my favorite. And it was common practice in the ancient Middle Eastern cultures to drink hot tea in the heat, as it makes it feel less hot outside.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I also really like the Adagio lapsang. The only other one I have tried is the loose leaf from Wegmans, it was okay but I found it comparably weak. I do very much like having a grocery store nearby that stocks loose leaf tea though, so Wegmans rules.

Try the Upton Imperial one. It's really complex. Adagio's, to me, is pleasantly smoky. Upton's is specifically reminiscent of a campfire in a pine forest after it rained.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Crazy rear end Teavivre anniversary deal, 5 samplers for $1 (Shipping $4-$6, china post or usps). About 40g of premium chinese tea for dirt cheap.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Crazy rear end Teavivre anniversary deal, 5 samplers for $1 (Shipping $4-$6, china post or usps). About 40g of premium chinese tea for dirt cheap.

I saw this post this morning, and I thought, 'oh, I'll have to grab that during my lunch break!' NOPE. It's already sold out. :saddowns:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Niemat posted:

I saw this post this morning, and I thought, 'oh, I'll have to grab that during my lunch break!' NOPE. It's already sold out. :saddowns:

Yeah.. it sold out crazy fast, a few hours after I found out about it. I think one of the puerh they're giving away is old stock they're clearing out room with. I got mine in with a 100g dragonwell order though, yay me!

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah.. it sold out crazy fast, a few hours after I found out about it. I think one of the puerh they're giving away is old stock they're clearing out room with. I got mine in with a 100g dragonwell order though, yay me!

It sold out between putting it in my cart and paying for it. :colbert:

Any tips for cold brewing Dragonwell? I'm making a ton of iced tea for a picnic, and I don't know if I'll have a way to make hot water.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Batch #2 teavivre samples is up and in stock, who knows how long it'll last. http://www.teavivre.com/special-anniv-sampler-pack/

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Batch #2 teavivre samples is up and in stock, who knows how long it'll last. http://www.teavivre.com/special-anniv-sampler-pack/

Thanks I managed to get in this time and was worried it would sell out so I just got the sampler. $3.90 shipping to Korea, though it will probably arrive when I am actually in Yunnan on vacation.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DontAskKant posted:

Thanks I managed to get in this time and was worried it would sell out so I just got the sampler. $3.90 shipping to Korea, though it will probably arrive when I am actually in Yunnan on vacation.

Boo. It was in stock when I put it in my basket and already out of stock. Or maybe it was my sample selections. Either way I guess I'll check again tomorrow morning.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

Boo. It was in stock when I put it in my basket and already out of stock. Or maybe it was my sample selections. Either way I guess I'll check again tomorrow morning.

It's back in stock today if anyone else was trying to snag it.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Upton teas... They are best for the Indian teas?

Teavivre may be my new source for great Chinese stuff. Problem with actual getting them at tea shops here in Asia is they are always usually open air and distinctly remember that degrading quality. It's great for cheap stuff though, but if I'm paying $15 for 200g of coffee (almost the minimum) then why skimp out on my tea.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Jhet posted:

It's back in stock today if anyone else was trying to snag it.

I managed to snag it this time, and I picked up their oolong sampler that was on sale as well! Did everyone else get YET ANOTHER free sample at check out...? Or was that attached to me picking something else up in addition to the $1 sampler? Either way, I'm excited. :3:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Niemat posted:

I managed to snag it this time, and I picked up their oolong sampler that was on sale as well! Did everyone else get YET ANOTHER free sample at check out...? Or was that attached to me picking something else up in addition to the $1 sampler? Either way, I'm excited. :3:

Yeah, I got another free sample with my order of under 30$. It looks like if I'd ordered more than 30 there would have been even yet another sample added. I'm excited to try another source for my tea making pleasures. I feel a little like I'm cheating on my usual supplier, but maybe I'm just not a one tea shop sort of guy?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Jhet posted:

Yeah, I got another free sample with my order of under 30$. It looks like if I'd ordered more than 30 there would have been even yet another sample added. I'm excited to try another source for my tea making pleasures. I feel a little like I'm cheating on my usual supplier, but maybe I'm just not a one tea shop sort of guy?

It's 2014 a man can have as many tea shops as he can manage. We've earned this.

So to get that sampler I just add another one manually? Or should they be giving me options? Think they'll have a non puerh $1 sampler? Already got that one.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They give you an additional one at checkout I think. Not sure if you get it with just the dollar sampler but I got an extra one with an added dragonwell order.

Guhhh I hate waiting for international orders

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DontAskKant posted:

It's 2014 a man can have as many tea shops as he can manage. We've earned this.

So to get that sampler I just add another one manually? Or should they be giving me options? Think they'll have a non puerh $1 sampler? Already got that one.

I bought a few other teas while I was at it because shipping was only 5bux. When I checked out it asked me what sample I'd like. They were all the same as the samples as part of the sample pack, but that means I got 6 instead of 5 sample sized teas (and a few non-sample sized).

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I know someone in the thread had mentioned trying it, but can anyone tell me anything about coffee cherry tea? My boss is obsessed with weird coffee stuff and I thought it'd be cool to get her some to try.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I know someone in the thread had mentioned trying it, but can anyone tell me anything about coffee cherry tea? My boss is obsessed with weird coffee stuff and I thought it'd be cool to get her some to try.

It's the dried fruit of the coffee tree. Brewed like a tisane, can be quite jammy and fruity. Sometimes like a black tea. Has caffeine, but isn't too popular so it's not necessarily cheap. Counter culture sometimes sells it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm new to making tea, and I wanted to play it safe first and try tea bags. I was thinking of trying the tea bags from adagio.com and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on those?

I was thinking of either trying Irish Breakfast; https://www.adagio.com/black/irish_breakfast.html or Early Grey: https://www.adagio.com/black/earl_grey_bravo.html

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tea bags are way more expensive in the long run (just look at the math on the teas you're thinking of - over 2x more expensive than an equivalent amount of loose tea). Then again, if you don't know if you'll drink tea all the time, I suppose it would cost more to buy loose tea and an infuser and then lose interest. Either way, I like both those teas from Adagio. The Earl Grey is VERY strongly bergamot flavored if I recall correctly, for me that means it's good but it's strong enough that it might turn some people off. The Irish Breakfast is kind of one-note to me, and demands milk, but is certainly drinkable.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

I think it'd be a good gift for her but it doesn't taste like coffee at all. Mine is from Verve Roasters.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I'm new to making tea, and I wanted to play it safe first and try tea bags. I was thinking of trying the tea bags from adagio.com and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on those?

I was thinking of either trying Irish Breakfast; https://www.adagio.com/black/irish_breakfast.html or Early Grey: https://www.adagio.com/black/earl_grey_bravo.html

If you prefer british style tea w/ milk get this.

http://smile.amazon.com/Taylors-Harrogate-Yorkshire-Gold-160-Count/dp/B000XEV9YE/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for the suggestion! I added this to my wishlist and will buy this instead once I run out of my current tea.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe I'm uncouth, but I've always preferred PG Tips in the pyramid bags or Canada's Red Rose. But it's also what I grew up on, and nostalgia/familiarity is a powerful influence.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

milpreve posted:

Maybe I'm uncouth, but I've always preferred PG Tips in the pyramid bags or Canada's Red Rose. But it's also what I grew up on, and nostalgia/familiarity is a powerful influence.

Definitely not uncouth. Red Rose Orange Pekoe is my go-to in terms of bagged teas. PG Tips is just a tad bitter for me. I am also influenced by nostalgia/familiarity, so take that as you will.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

detectivemonkey posted:

I think it'd be a good gift for her but it doesn't taste like coffee at all. Mine is from Verve Roasters.

Is it more along the fruity side of the spectrum, or more like black tea? I'm curious to try it myself.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Is it more along the fruity side of the spectrum, or more like black tea? I'm curious to try it myself.

Fruitier, but dried fruit. A little red winey and black tea like. It can be a little tannic i think.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

PG Tips is pretty good and fairly widely available. Esp if you live in north america, any of these british teas will blow away Lipton or other american bagged black teas.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

taters posted:

PG Tips is pretty good and fairly widely available. Esp if you live in north america, any of these british teas will blow away Lipton or other american bagged black teas.

It really depends on what your tastes are like too, Twinings, Yorkshire, Clipper, Tetley (which I personally really hate but some friends who grew up with it love tetley), I quite like Sainsbury's own but my normal go to is PG Tips or Yorkshire for the everyday because its very unoffensive and oh god I have 20 people coming round I'm not using my Gyokuro Asahi for this. Normal PG Tips / Yorkshire is pretty great for the price for your bogstandard tea though! Twinings is 4.4 per cup, clipper 3.2p, yorkshire gold 4p, PG tips (depending on how much you buy) 3p a cup. But god drat never get teapigs for your everday brew. Saw them in supermarkets lately and it works out almost 30p per cup (27.7p).

Lipton popped up in supermarkets here a couple of years ago, I got a box one time just to see and it was pretty much a mess and kept reminding me of this really bad lipton ice tea I had mistakenly bought once when not wanting something alcoholic at cornershop. :negative:

I like most bogstandard / premium everyday tea though but holy moly I hate Tetley. :(

Fluo fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 21, 2014

taters
Jun 13, 2005

I like the Twinning's first flush darjeeling. Don't really care for the other twinning's stuff.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

taters posted:

I like the Twinning's first flush darjeeling. Don't really care for the other twinning's stuff.

http://nmteaco.com carries a reaally nice first flush darjeeling.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Twining's loose leaf is reasonably good quality for the price. The orange tin is a pretty standard Ceylon OP, but I think the purple tin Darjeeling is a BOP and not that great. The Prince of Wales and Earl Grey are also fair quality.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Hey I was told this is the place to ask about the best way to microwave yourself a cup of tea? Do I put the milk and sugar in before I microwave it or after? How long should I be microwaving it for? Right now I'm doing it for 2 minutes in a 700w, is that ok or should I be leaving it in there for longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Gum posted:

Hey I was told this is the place to ask about the best way to microwave yourself a cup of tea? Do I put the milk and sugar in before I microwave it or after? How long should I be microwaving it for? Right now I'm doing it for 2 minutes in a 700w, is that ok or should I be leaving it in there for longer?

As a general rule I would say to just heat the water up only in the microwave and then steep the tea afterwards, then add milk and sugar to taste when you're done. You can experiment with what works best for you. Microwaving to heat water generally is suitable only for black teas, since you don't have any real control of the water temperature. The only thing you should keep in mind when microwaving is that water can get hot without appearing to boil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0