Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You'll change your mind when you have to connect from a regional jet flight to a mainline flight. ATL has gotten significantly nicer in terms of amenities over the past 5 ish years.

edit: this year I'm 52 segments DL, 38 segments AA/USAir. Atlanta is without a doubt the best hub I connect through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll change your mind when you have to connect from a regional jet flight to a mainline flight. ATL has gotten significantly nicer in terms of amenities over the past 5 ish years.

edit: this year I'm 52 segments DL, 38 segments AA/USAir. Atlanta is without a doubt the best hub I connect through.

I used to hate going through DFW a long time ago, but once they built the skyway I've always had good experiences using them as my AA hub. You can pretty much get dumped off within 10 gates of the one you're connecting to, and I'm always going from American Eagle to the bigger AA jets on the way out, which I think are terminals B and D. ATL seems pretty comparable overall but a little slower getting between gates. What from a business perspective puts ATL at the very top for you?

I love the postcard idea.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is getting in to flyertalk sperg city but if I recall correctly, CLT is only about 20% O&D. It's only strong by virtue of the fact that AWE routes a bunch of connecting traffic through. I would expect all of USAirway's hubs besides DCA to get a haircut.

Hmm, I hope PHL doesn't get hit too bad... is there anything official or is this all speculation at this point?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Lyon posted:

Hmm, I hope PHL doesn't get hit too bad... is there anything official or is this all speculation at this point?

Nothing official yet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
A little late on the advice but I'll add another voice to getting an external battery to charge your devices. I'd also add another vote for Red Oxx bags, but I greatly prefer a backpack or duffel to to a rolling bag. If you don't prefer to carry your luggage then Red Oxx is not going to interest you at all.

In regards to precheck, if you're flying enough to get status then I don't think you need to apply and pay the $85. I've had precheck for years now via my status with Delta and never paid a fee or filled anything out beyond having the information in my Delta profile filled in.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just upped my travel gear with some red oxx stuff and a set of those travel cubes.

I also second the guy that said just buy a second set of all toiletries and store them together. Your stress level with drop an entire level.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is getting in to flyertalk sperg city but if I recall correctly, CLT is only about 20% O&D. It's only strong by virtue of the fact that AWE routes a bunch of connecting traffic through. I would expect all of USAirway's hubs besides DCA to get a haircut.

Anyway, CLT is a poo poo design for a hub anyway, and from a practical point-to-point within the airside perspective, ATL is about a trillion times better.
I agree with you. We have a number of people that fly in and out of the southeast, usually connecting between mainline and regional jets, and CLT sucks. We hear far more poo poo about it than any of the other hubs.

While I agree ATL is far better, DFW seems to be the favorite. You can generally get between any two gates fairly quickly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

caberham posted:

Apps
Candy Crush - pack in a PS Vita if you like video games. Or play old titles rereleased like Chrono trigger on your ipad.

Games tend to kill my iPhone battery, even though they are usually a good choice for flights. So getting a dedicated game system is good advice.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

smackfu posted:

Games tend to kill my iPhone battery, even though they are usually a good choice for flights. So getting a dedicated game system is good advice.

I'm active on the 3DS thread, if that helps :v:

Reading about all those awesome un-wheeled bags is exciting my inner metrosexual. I think I'm more excited about a couple of those options than my wife was about her last Coach purse. Speaking of, re: $250 pieces of luggage... do you even bring it up with your employers as something to expense, or are you typically on your own for that kind of thing? I do know that office equipment, including an office chair "within reason", will be covered.

Aristotle Animes posted:

That and the only other main thing I recommend for essentials is get a good gps. Depending on where you go, the tower assist on your Phone will gently caress you. One minute you are on the freeway in a major city, next you are 50 yards away and one surface streets and then you missed the exit. This will make you late and look bad. And for gently caress sakes don't rely on those pieces of poo poo that come with the rental can. My I love my voice command garmin. So much less stress telling it to find me gas or coffee on the way to a meet.

Meant to reply to this part the first time... my phone has a pretty razor sharp GPS that has never done anything like that unless I lose the GPS signal. GMaps seems to be rock solid with knowing where to find coffee or gas or whatever as well. But I also live in a small city - is it the bigger ones where a phone's GPS would fall apart? I love the idea of having my own dependable GPS, in any case.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fryhtaning posted:

Meant to reply to this part the first time... my phone has a pretty razor sharp GPS that has never done anything like that unless I lose the GPS signal. GMaps seems to be rock solid with knowing where to find coffee or gas or whatever as well. But I also live in a small city - is it the bigger ones where a phone's GPS would fall apart? I love the idea of having my own dependable GPS, in any case.

I've never had any issue with my phone's GPS and google maps, personally. And I've used it all around the US and western Europe.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 17, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

smackfu posted:

I use an NES emulator plus external battery pack myself. Works pretty well.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Small White Dragon posted:

Is there an article somewhere ranking all the chains and describing how each treats their staff? Genuinely curious.

Let me ask my buddy. She's hardcore into labor issues and I just take her at her word. Hilton is supposed to be the best (well, least bad), Hyatt is supposed to be the worst and everybody else is kinda a big mix. I'll see if she can provide some hard data.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

We should send each other postcards. Although I'm not sure how many of you want stuff from Marysville, OH or El Paso... my job doesn't quite take me to the most glamorous places. I do use Foursquare/Swarm on the road, which ends up being pretty cool to see where I've been over the past few years.

Fryhtaning posted:

Reading about all those awesome un-wheeled bags is exciting my inner metrosexual. I think I'm more excited about a couple of those options than my wife was about her last Coach purse. Speaking of, re: $250 pieces of luggage... do you even bring it up with your employers as something to expense, or are you typically on your own for that kind of thing? I do know that office equipment, including an office chair "within reason", will be covered.
We get laptop bags kind of covered - usually there's a stash of mid-quality bags in the main offices (along with spare chargers!) that people can grab. We don't get rolling luggage paid for, just a small corporate discount through our "employee marketplace" portal.

Re: doing stuff on flights: I actually will just play games on my iPad on the flight, which usually isn't as necessary battery-life wise when I land. Or read. When I was doing 75% travel I was going through a book a week. One time, a lady on a NY-LA flight busted out her entire makeup regimen next to me and basically gave herself a spa treatment. Hung a mirror off that latch that holds the tray table up and everything.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Regarding the hotel worker chat, this is what one of my friends with a decade of union experience including several years managing hotel unions said when I asked:

quote:

So sweet of you to think about the hotel workers!  This webpage has links to hotels that have an active boycott or labor dispute:http://unitehere.org/industry/hotels/

Right now the hotel union has an active campaign against Hyatt.  It doesn't necessarily mean that Hyatt is that much worse than anything else; it's just how they are concentrating their resources in the campaign.  Overall, in my experience Starwood and Hilton (all their brands) were the best employers.  Marriott was pretty anti-union and Hyatt can be crappy.  But so much depends on individual general managers and a lot of times hotels are just using the brands but aren't managed by corporate.  So it is really really hard to figure it out. 

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Fryhtaning posted:

I don't know. It happened a few times. People look at me weird but I repeated it on the same stretch of road in Norfolk, VA *shrug*

I've sort of caved to just cramming my skooba with as much poo poo as I can and my nuvi 2597 was a good addition. I like a big screen and pictures of my exit and lots of other things that i didn't have with a phone plus if frees up the phone to do phone/media stuff?

Non wheel bags; I replaced my briefcase and got a backpack after I nearly dislocated my elbow running with it through an airport, it was giving me neck problems as well for a while. I hate how regressive agewise the drat backpack makes me look but I just couldn't handle any more dumb injuries before I get to the job. B&R backpack goes with the luggage. I'm old.

I've never asked to expense luggage. I understand how you'd want to but I'd never ask. There are other things you get out of being the guy they put in a slingshot to go around the globe... take this one on and invest in yourself. Let it slide.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 18, 2014

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Aristotle Animes posted:

Non wheel bags; I replaced my briefcase and got a backpack after I nearly dislocated my elbow running with it through an airport, it was giving me neck problems as well for a while. I hate how regressive agewise the drat backpack makes me look but I just couldn't handle any more dumb injuries before I get to the job. B&R backpack goes with the luggage. I'm old.

:corsair:

I use a messenger bag that has a small strap on the back. It slides over the handle of my wheelie bag so I only need one hand to haul everything around. My work sometimes requires me to haul around safety clothing (that I never use), I have a backpack with zippable handles for that. Everything zipped away there's no straps or whatever sticking out, but for some reason only elite desks give me grief when checking it, insisting on having me bring it to the special sized luggage desk. Economy desks don't give a poo poo if it gets ruined I guess? It always ends up on the carrousel though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That postcard idea kicks rear end, honestly.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

Same here. And I'm 6'8" so I look like a freak most of the time; having a puny-rear end backpack on doesn't help. Thankfully I found one that works well for my needs and fits on my back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

I used to hate going through DFW a long time ago, but once they built the skyway I've always had good experiences using them as my AA hub. You can pretty much get dumped off within 10 gates of the one you're connecting to, and I'm always going from American Eagle to the bigger AA jets on the way out, which I think are terminals B and D. ATL seems pretty comparable overall but a little slower getting between gates. What from a business perspective puts ATL at the very top for you?

I love the postcard idea.

I hate waiting around in Terminal B at DFW - never enough space. If I were flying from Knoxville, I wouldn't choose DFW because unless you are going coast-to-coast or to the center of the country, you'll fly west to fly easy a bunch of the time. The choice for Knoxville is basically ATL or CLT, and there's no contest between those two.

I like ATL because the plane train makes it so that you can get from any gate to any other gate in less than 20 minutes, and that's like T01 to E01. There are SkyClubs everywhere, usually more than one per terminal. ATL has relatively high frequencies to most domestic destinations, and because it's Delta's home base I've found them generally more accommodating about alternate flights and routings. There is free Wifi and an abundance of outlets in the gate areas. Southerners (the airport staff) are generally more accommodating and friendly. Also: http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com/

Oh, don't over pack. When I first started, I took way more poo poo than I needed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

In regards to precheck, if you're flying enough to get status then I don't think you need to apply and pay the $85. I've had precheck for years now via my status with Delta and never paid a fee or filled anything out beyond having the information in my Delta profile filled in.

That's really nice if you're a white guy without a foreignquestionable name that has kept one address for a long time. I was PM/DM for the duration of the precheck program and never received it until they allowed people to sign up for GE and pay for precheck.

Do you get precheck on other airlines as a FF? I use my NTN for everything so I always get it now, but for those whose precheck is tied to a specific FF program, do you get it on other airlines as well?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's really nice if you're a white guy without a foreignquestionable name that has kept one address for a long time. I was PM/DM for the duration of the precheck program and never received it until they allowed people to sign up for GE and pay for precheck.

Do you get precheck on other airlines as a FF? I use my NTN for everything so I always get it now, but for those whose precheck is tied to a specific FF program, do you get it on other airlines as well?

I've managed to only fly Delta since I started getting PreCheck, so I don't know if it follows me on other airlines.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Luggagechat: I was able to pick up some Swissgear stuff I liked from Nordstrom Rack a while back, but looking to try something different out. I did like the discounts they offered there, so anyone know which stores similar to that or Off 5th would carry Briggs and Riley? Wouldn't be surprised if I should just set aside more cash for the luggage if I need to.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

I've managed to only fly Delta since I started getting PreCheck, so I don't know if it follows me on other airlines.

This is one of the nice things about having a NTN via Global Entry; I provide that number to whatever airline I book a ticket with and I have yet to miss PreCheck.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

This is one of the nice things about having a NTN via Global Entry; I provide that number to whatever airline I book a ticket with and I have yet to miss PreCheck.

Same. In the last month I've flown Delta, SW, and United and I've been pre-check on every single one.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Lately I have been staying at hotels with crappy wifi/wifi device limits. Anyone with reviews/recommendations on plugin wifi repeaters/routers? I'm trying to avoid having to tether or pay for a hotspot.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i81icu812 posted:

Lately I have been staying at hotels with crappy wifi/wifi device limits. Anyone with reviews/recommendations on plugin wifi repeaters/routers? I'm trying to avoid having to tether or pay for a hotspot.

I've got one of these and I love it. I use it for WISP mode regularly. But do keep in mind that it may be the hotel's Internet connection that sucks. If that's the case, having your own router/repeater/access point isn't going to help.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

i81icu812 posted:

I have this one and I love it. Whenever I get stuck in a hotel with lovely wi-fi signal, I use this. It also comes in handy when I get to a work site that doesn't have any wi-fi at all. Doubles as a battery pack for recharging my phone and tablet when I can't find a power outlet at an airport.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you get precheck by way of a specific FF program, then you only get it if you're flying that airline.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Is anyone else getting randomed less at Precheck since they opened it up to more pax? I used to beep and get pulled ~quarter or more of my passes and now it's almost never.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Aristotle Animes posted:

Is anyone else getting randomed less at Precheck since they opened it up to more pax? I used to beep and get pulled ~quarter or more of my passes and now it's almost never.

Yes, I also noticed this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I stopped getting randomed when I switched from using status to my ktn.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Got to my hotel late last night. Checked in, got unpacked. Walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth and get ready for bed... and the bathroom ceiling was caved in along with there being a bunch of water on the floor.

I'd been avoiding this hotel the last few years due to some dead roaches in a light fixture last time I was there. Apparently I shouldn't have decided to give them a second chance. Its a Hampton next to a naval base and due to their location they know they can stay full without having to worry about cleanliness or upkeep.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Small White Dragon posted:

I agree with you. We have a number of people that fly in and out of the southeast, usually connecting between mainline and regional jets, and CLT sucks. We hear far more poo poo about it than any of the other hubs.

While I agree ATL is far better, DFW seems to be the favorite. You can generally get between any two gates fairly quickly.

USAir has really horrible hubs in general. CLT is bad but PHL is a nightmare.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Marriott gold status! Baby's first status! Next month I should get swa status and marriott platinum.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Marriott gold status! Baby's first status! Next month I should get swa status and marriott platinum.

Make sure to proactively inform everyone at the hotel of your status so they know how important you are oh god don't do this never be that guy.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I ask for an upgrade any stay over 2 days.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aristotle Animes posted:

I ask for an upgrade any stay over 2 days.

Marriott makes you ask for an upgrade instead of just giving it to you?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I guess on Monday the Hampton I'm at only gave me an upgrade to a non flooded room after I asked.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
For those of you who use Concur, is there a way to book for multiple people at once?

We just started using it, and it's tolerable for a single person traveling, but trying to book a group involves all of us getting on skype to agree on flight numbers. It's easier to book through some other site using the company card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Guy Axlerod posted:

For those of you who use Concur, is there a way to book for multiple people at once?

We just started using it, and it's tolerable for a single person traveling, but trying to book a group involves all of us getting on skype to agree on flight numbers. It's easier to book through some other site using the company card.

Does your company have a travel agent/contract with one? Just making them handle it is the easiest solution for multiple people if you want same flight and stuff.