Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It is completely ending the arc though. The first film begins with Tony Stark becoming Iron Man because of his trauma and the last film is him getting over his trauma and giving up his safety blanket.

Edit: Even the second film is about how Tony Stark's arc reactor is literally poisoning him. He solves that problem (through way more of a deus ex machina than in IM3) but the thing is never portrayed as very healthy for him.

You were sarcastic before I was. I mean I'm not trying to be a dick but I really don't agree with the idea that someone in the audience missing something is a failure on the film-maker's part.

The end of Iron Man three is about him being a human being again. The second he was kidnapped, he was on this roller coaster ride.

First film, he looks at who he was and decides he needs to change and undo the damage. By the end of the first film he thinks the whole this is cool and gets cocky. Film two, he is feeling like a rock star living up behind iron man even though it is having intense adverse effects in his life. Even when he fixes the problem, he may have calmed down a bit but he is still cocky and in rock star mode.

Film three he is a mess after the avengers because he finally recognizes that being cocky rock star man isn't as fun when poo poo gets real. Being iron man is no longer a lark, it's serious business with real consequences. While not perfect, I took the end as Tony Stark realizes he needs to stop loving around and get serious. He is not indestructible and his work isn't a game for cocky rock star man. At the end, his priorities have started to change. I didn't get the impression he was done with iron man, but that he would need to move forward with a new Vision of what iron man should be.

That being said I hope that ultron is a tony stark screw up. At least not directly. I can accept tony building the thing, but I'd hope third party intervention is what makes it go ultron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At the end of Iron Man 3, Tony overcame his addiction to armor; it ambiguously implies he has learned that armor can now fulfill a balanced, healthy role in his life, based on how cool and useful it is. The armor is not Iron Man.

The Avengers 2 is a corollary to Iron Man 3, based on "What if that epiphany were incomplete?" He destroyed the armor because he wanted an end to the power that the armor had over him. He liberated himself from the need for armor, but not from the fear of the need for armor. He will try to renounce the armor for good, but when he sees that his attitude toward it is still harmful (as symbolized by the robotic destruction, etc.), he will work to overcome that overcorrection. The result will be that he has attained a more complete understanding of the idea of Iron Man, which was created in that cave.

It's okay for it to Tony to need to learn a similar lesson a second time, because overcoming alcoholism is not easy. It's also okay because Iron Man is kind of dialectical.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I really don't understand how so many people took the ending of IM3 to mean he'd given up being Iron Man forever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

The ending of the film is literally him fixing Extremis and then saying he's going to use it for himself. Like he has to fix it for Pepper first.

Nope. You see he used Dr. Wu or whatever his name was to preform heart surgery. Now, who is this character? Where did he come from? He was right there in the beginning. Tony is introduced to this heart surgeon during the opening scene and that is who he calls upon years later. Why? So they can sell the movie to china. There was a whole extra scene with that character because he was famous in China or something.

So the pieces are all there. They're just a little buried. But I love the ending for Iron Man 3 because it made the fanboys cringe when they saw pieces of metal explode. Seriously, he's Tony Stark. He could poo poo out Iron Man suits all drat day like it was nothing. I don't know why people didn't get that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

I really don't understand how so many people took the ending of IM3 to mean he'd given up being Iron Man forever.

Because he did. Heck, the concept of Ultron in The Avengers 2 is it is replacing him in The Avengers.

The entire movie is about how he is more than his iron suit and can do more for the world if he stops trying to create increasingly better iron suits all the time and ends with him removing his Arc Reactor and blowing up all his suits. He obviously was going to return as Iron Man in the next film because MONEY but within the confines of the actual film it was the clear end to his superhero role and a move into his Inventor role instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Then why is the last line of the film "But there's one thing they can't take away from me...I am Iron Man."

That goes against what you're saying. Tony is only saying he doesn't need any of this poo poo to be Iron Man. He is Iron Man. Like that one Batman line about it's not who you are or some poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Then why is the last line of the film "But there's one thing they can't take away from me...I am Iron Man."

That goes against what you're saying. Tony is only saying he doesn't need any of this poo poo to be Iron Man. He is Iron Man. Like that one Batman line about it's not who you are or some poo poo.

Tony Stark is Iron Man, not the suit. When we're saying "he won't be Iron Man anymore" it's referring to being the suited-up superhero Iron Man. He is still the person who was inside of that suit and who was capable of doing all those things.

It's a direct parallel to the first movie where his final line is "I am Iron Man." Here the emphasis is moved from "Iron Man" to "I." He is still the guy who did all that stuff but the suit is completely unimportant except as something he created. It was his cocoon and he has left it behind and is a changed man.

I mean as far as a butterfly metaphor would go, it doesn't make much sense for him to return to the armor. He literally calls the armor his cocoon and talks about how he has emerged from it a changed man. The butterfly imagery doesn't work if it is followed by "and then I get right back in the cocoon."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 18, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. Now we are on the same page.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I forgot Tony helped design project insight, at least the helicarrier component. Maybe his idea with Ultron is humans can't be trusted with that kind of power and he needs an AI making decisions.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

greatn posted:

I forgot Tony helped design project insight, at least the helicarrier component. Maybe his idea with Ultron is humans can't be trusted with that kind of power and he needs an AI making decisions.

According to the EW article, Yeah, pretty much this. Basically, SHIELD has been broken, because it was run by people, and people are full of flaws and bad decision making. If we want to keep people safe, we can't rely on people to make the important decisions, so let's instead rely on an unfeeling AI. But that would take too long to build from scratch, so I'm just going to use my own brain as a blueprint because, hey, smartest loving guy on the planet right here. What could go wrong?

I think this was kind of the plot to MGS Peace Walker, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New GotG spot with lots of new footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRlfIhic_Es

Apparently Ronan is just going to be a straight up bad guy.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
So I read a thing about Captain America today..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28340644

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently the best way to get massive media coverage for your comic book is to make a white man character not that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Making him the other guy from the movie helps.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What happened to Bucky-Cap?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kingtheninja posted:

That was just a phase.

Though if I'm reading speculation right, Bucky's going to be the new Nick Fury.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bucky Cap gave the shield back to Steve Rogers when he came back alive.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

This makes me think Drax is going to be a lot of fun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kingtheninja posted:

Baron Zemo leaked that the new Captain America was the winter soldier and was responsible for a bunch of assassinations and terrorist acts. He was brought to trial and while he got off in America Russia extradited him. There he was sent to a gulag and fought for the wardens entertainment. He was able to escape, but his rep made it so he could no longer carry the shield. Soon after Fear Itself happened and Red Skull's daughter killed him. However, he was holding on and he faced his death with Fury and Black Widow's help. Steve was later told, but due to his death he picked the shield up again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Baron Zemo leaked that the new Captain America was the winter soldier and was responsible for a bunch of assassinations and terrorist acts. He was brought to trial and while he got off in America Russia extradited him. There he was sent to a gulag and fought for the wardens entertainment. He was able to escape, but his rep made it so he could no longer carry the shield. Soon after Fear Itself happened and Red Skull's daughter killed him. However, he was holding on and he faced his death with Fury and Black Widow's help. Steve was later told, but due to his death he picked the shield up again.

I really liked Bucky-Cap because it was all about how difficult it was to be Captain America. It was hard to throw the shield right, it was hard to get the shield to come back to him, guys like Batroc were major challenges. In a world where Cap looks like a "normal human" in comparison to guys like Thor, it was cool to see how difficult his job really was for a non-super soldier.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

He won't be. Its just Marvel trying to hide that Thanos is the villain of the film.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So I read a thing about Captain America today..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28340644

Anthony Mackie has to be totally hoping that this has implications for his future career.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

theflyingorc posted:

Anthony Mackie has to be totally hoping that this has implications for his future career.

Since the comics pretty much exist as marketing tools these days, it probably has.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

He won't be. Its just Marvel trying to hide that Thanos is the villain of the film.

Not "the" I mean "a". Ronan never struck me as a villain as much as a loyal soldier of the opposition.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

e X posted:

Since the comics pretty much exist as marketing tools these days, it probably has.

Sure, wasn't Chris Evans completely disinterested in doing more Cap movies after Avengers 2?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Not "the" I mean "a". Ronan never struck me as a villain as much as a loyal soldier of the opposition.

He was a complete villain in many of his early appearances.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hakkesshu posted:

Sure, wasn't Chris Evans completely disinterested in doing more Cap movies after Avengers 2?

That's the rumor that's going around.

I really, really, really hope that they turn Falcon into Cap in the movies. Both for how angry it will make racists and how awesome it will be for black youth.

It's basically the perfect move for minority representation in comics - he's a popular hero, his powers aren't wacky, he's mostly known for his brain, and his role is basically embodying all the good things about America.

It also doesn't feel forced because Captain America is more of a title than a person anyway, unlike if, say, you made Wonder Woman black.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I got nothing against Falcon or him being Cap for a while but I just don't feel it has as much pathos as Bucky Cap or Miles Morales Spidey. It just feels like a friend filling in for Steve's shift. Although it does explain why Falcon made the big save in the last storyline.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Sure. But Anthony Mackie like a lot if the good actors there will do fine in their careers because they are good at what they do. They'd find success anyday. What they hope is for the payday blockbusters bring. Okay maybe some noteriety.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

I got nothing against Falcon or him being Cap for a while but I just don't feel it has as much pathos as Bucky Cap or Miles Morales Spidey. It just feels like a friend filling in for Steve's shift. Although it does explain why Falcon made the big save in the last storyline.

Well, there's no question that Steve's coming back. Although we all KNEW he was coming back after Bucky, it was at least permanent to the characters in the story. And for Miles, Peter almost certainly isn't coming back (that would be the worst possible revival ever, ugh). Since Steve isn't even dead right now, there's a lot less "I hope I can live up to his legacy" because you could just, y'know, ask him.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, that always seemed like an obvious answer to me. He can't be peak Spider-man without the webs, and he wouldn't trade financial security for his ability to fight crime and save lives.

That said, the organic webbing of the Raimi movies feels more organic, to put it as redundantly as possible. Parker's smart but not a super genius, which makes sense because he's just a kid in highschool.

Getting off Iron Man chat and moving to a previous discussion in the thread:

I've always viewed Peter as genious derailed. He's definitely no Reed Richards/Tony Stark, but there's little doubt that he'd have a Dr. attached to his name at the very least if he didn't fill his life with heroics.

If you sat down Peter and Reed Richards and asked each what their primary vocation is: Peter would say "Super Hero" and Reed would say "Scientist" and their priorities show in the books.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rhymenoserous posted:

If you sat down Peter and Reed Richards and asked each what their primary vocation is: Peter would say "Super Hero" and Reed would say "Scientist" and their priorities show in the books.
Man, Peter's really been letting his photography slide.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
a couple full clips from Guardians have come out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jIM9OPYao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bFmqO7IF_A

Im loving the dialogue already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So. loving. Hype.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Love everything about that second scene.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

That's the rumor that's going around.

I really, really, really hope that they turn Falcon into Cap in the movies. Both for how angry it will make racists and how awesome it will be for black youth.

It's basically the perfect move for minority representation in comics - he's a popular hero, his powers aren't wacky, he's mostly known for his brain, and his role is basically embodying all the good things about America.

It also doesn't feel forced because Captain America is more of a title than a person anyway, unlike if, say, you made Wonder Woman black.

I agree with this 100%, and I hope it all happens. At least in the comics, Steve is going to stick around to help Sam out as he transitions into the role of Cap, probably like a less gruff version of old Bruce Wayne mentoring Terry McGinnis.

But in the movies, if Chris Evans wants to retire the costume after Cap 3 and Avengers 3, I can't think of a better solution than Anthony Mackie. Mackie's star is on the rise, he was awesome in Cap 2, and his character was shown as a decorated veteran soldier who helps other veterans, and he was quick to rise to the occasion and join up with more heroes to do the right thing.

While I wouldn't be surprised if Cap 3 includes a redemption arc for Bucky, I'd rather they not turn him into Cap, but keep him as Winter Soldier for black ops missions that tie into darker corners of the MCU.

Sam Wilson has already proven to be a brave, patriotic badass who also smiles and has fun, and I think it would be amazing for children of color to have one of the most prominent and respected superheroes look like them. And there's precedent, since Steve Rogers has stepped aside and been replaced before, so it won't come from out of nowhere.

(And the Fox News crowd will lose their minds, which I'm already gleefully anticipating.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do you think they need to make Wilson superhuman in some way to take on the role?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

Do you think they need to make Wilson superhuman in some way to take on the role?

I think it can work either way, but either one would be a very different film from the other. A non-powered Cap would almost have to have his arc be about how he can be powerless and still be Captain America.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

(And the Fox News crowd will lose their minds, which I'm already gleefully anticipating.)

I remember how they suddenly gave a poo poo about Ms. Marvel for just long enough to get outraged over Kamala Khan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Captain Obama's America

• Locked thread