Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
One thing I really like about PN equipment (I think it's from PN anyway) is a 40mm grenade launcher with a 4 round magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I agree, just do a full install on PN. I've used it for so long that I barely remember how to play without the slow motion or grenade hotkey. At the very least, I hope the grenade throwing is implemented in Fallout 4 because it's useful as hell (and it's still perfectly immersive unlike Halo or COD because the hotkey simply equips, pulls the pin, and throws by holding one button rather than needing to use quick select hotkeys or sort through it all manually).

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Is there anything for Fallout 3 comparable to NVAC, or am I stuck with a game that crashes more frequently than drunk russian drivers?

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Is there anything for Fallout 3 comparable to NVAC, or am I stuck with a game that crashes more frequently than drunk russian drivers?

NVAC will work with Fallout 3 through fose, though it will not work as well as it would with New Vegas.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Also consider Tale of Two Wastelands + NVSE + NVAC.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

One thing I really like about PN equipment (I think it's from PN anyway) is a 40mm grenade launcher with a 4 round magazine.

That's in the base game actually; the (China Lake) Grenade Launcher.

I like shelling cazadores with it at a distance.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also consider Tale of Two Wastelands + NVSE + NVAC.

Seconding this.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Seconding this.

What compatibility issues does TTW have? The only overhaul-ish mod I use is Project Nevada, and I think there's a patch for that. Are there any big things I need to look out for with it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

razorrozar posted:

What compatibility issues does TTW have? The only overhaul-ish mod I use is Project Nevada, and I think there's a patch for that. Are there any big things I need to look out for with it?

I haven't really had any compatibility issues. Some things might be unavailable until you get to the Mojave, but I just got there at level 9.

I did have to ditch IWS, because it seemed to cause a lot of slowdown in the DC area.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hey I noticed that someone went and uploaded the fomod for that animation replacer. So instead of downloading the pistol and commando files, then downloading gopher's pre-fabricated package, then installing, you could just download that mod and install. The original author apparently hasn't been on in years so there's a slim chance that it'll be taken down.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Welp, I've decided to uninstall TTW, and just install Fallout 3 by itself. This should not be read as an unendorsement of TTW, just a caveat: TTW basically doubles the size of the game. Just because the NV engine runs flawlessly with the highest settings with the base game does not mean that one can continue to run it like that with TTW. :(

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Trying to install TTW, I get the following error message while it's "Building Fallout 3-MenuVoices":

"An unhandled exception has occurred: The file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\TempExtract\sound\voice\fallout3.esm\creaturesupermutantdc\audioholot_mq08sheltontape_000cb573_1.lip' already exists."

My FO3 install is clean; my FNV install is not. Do they both need to be clean? The TTW installer won't run past that point, because something's keeping it from creating the voice file right.

The problem might just be that I'm trying to install it to my FNV folder; do I need to put it elsewhere?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

razorrozar posted:

Trying to install TTW, I get the following error message while it's "Building Fallout 3-MenuVoices":

"An unhandled exception has occurred: The file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\TempExtract\sound\voice\fallout3.esm\creaturesupermutantdc\audioholot_mq08sheltontape_000cb573_1.lip' already exists."

My FO3 install is clean; my FNV install is not. Do they both need to be clean? The TTW installer won't run past that point, because something's keeping it from creating the voice file right.

The problem might just be that I'm trying to install it to my FNV folder; do I need to put it elsewhere?

You need to point the installer at another folder. I used c:\ttw\

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

You need to point the installer at another folder. I used c:\ttw\

In the process of doing that now.

I have been making just the stupidest errors with Fallout modding recently. :downsgun:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

razorrozar posted:

I have been making just the stupidest errors with Fallout modding recently. :downsgun:

Also, don't bother creating the fomod at the end unless you have at least 8gb of ram, because the fomod won't work then. I created the one for the optional files, but for the main files you're stuck doing a manual install if you have less than 8gb of ram, which means you'll need to copy the files into your data folder AND do the ini changes mentioned in the instructions.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, don't bother creating the fomod at the end unless you have at least 8gb of ram, because the fomod won't work then. I created the one for the optional files, but for the main files you're stuck doing a manual install if you have less than 8gb of ram, which means you'll need to copy the files into your data folder AND do the ini changes mentioned in the instructions.

Just double-checked (on roommate's computer) and I have 8 total, 7.4 usable, so I should be fine with the .fomod. Thanks for the tip, though; my computer only has 4 so if/when I put it on there I'll know to do that.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

razorrozar posted:

Just double-checked (on roommate's computer) and I have 8 total, 7.4 usable, so I should be fine with the .fomod. Thanks for the tip, though; my computer only has 4 so if/when I put it on there I'll know to do that.

Yeah I only read that part of the instructions after I sat there going why the gently caress isn't this FOMOD working. :downs:

In my own modding news, I started a new playthrough sans TTW (I realized that I really just wanted to gently caress around in the Mojave this time) and Im using CCO + jsawyer*. God have mercy on my soul, because last time I did this I got murdered by that bark scorpion between goodsprings and the graveyard and gave up. :ohdear:

Not in hardcore mode, though. With CCO and jsawyer, that's basically just handing my computer a note saying "Please kick me in the dick repeatedly."

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

razorrozar posted:

I got the exact same message, and noticed something weird: the installer hangs when it finishes building the textures and I have to restart it to build the voices. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

First MO, now TTW... in addition to my own stupidities everything is being stupid at me too. :sigh:

e: I'm manually clearing the TempExtract folder and then I'll try running it again. I can't imagine that won't work.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 17, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The compiler seemed to work that time, but then it hung again once that command window closed.

gently caress it. gently caress TTW, gently caress MO, gently caress NMM, gently caress it all. I'll just dump the files straight into the data folder from now on. Nothing else works.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Agents are GO! posted:

Welp, I've decided to uninstall TTW, and just install Fallout 3 by itself. This should not be read as an unendorsement of TTW, just a caveat: TTW basically doubles the size of the game. Just because the NV engine runs flawlessly with the highest settings with the base game does not mean that one can continue to run it like that with TTW. :(

Agents are GO! posted:

Weird. I'm on a pretty weak system (Dual-core, 4GB of RAM). TTW ran just fine for me and the FOMOD worked perfectly. :psyduck:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Weird. I'm on a pretty weak system (Dual-core, 4GB of RAM). TTW ran just fine for me and the FOMOD worked perfectly. :psyduck:

:Bethesda:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

It's kinda surprising we don't have a :bethesda: emoticon by this point. I guess :sterv: might work...

I installed Character Overhaul, Realistic Wasteland Lighting, Interior Lighting Overhaul and Onix ENB, and holy poo poo, this game actually looks pretty good now. Shame there's no mod to replace all the janky animations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Snofeld posted:

The auto-sort doesn't seem to work well with GRA weapons (I think that's the issue, or possibly the way JSawyer mod merges them) and there's a few visual glitches, plus my companions seem to glitch through the floor now and then.

Ah, I never had the glitches, but it just sticks DLC stuff (incl. GRA) into the misc. stuff lockers. I like it enough that it doesn't bother me so much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OH NO MAN posted:

It's kinda surprising we don't have a :bethesda: emoticon by this point. I guess :sterv: might work...

I installed Character Overhaul, Realistic Wasteland Lighting, Interior Lighting Overhaul and Onix ENB, and holy poo poo, this game actually looks pretty good now. Shame there's no mod to replace all the janky animations.

Absolutely, especially when combined with NMC's textures and a weather mod like Nevada Skies or Western Skies. The game can be massively improved in appearance with relatively little impact on performance.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I was using Nevada Skies URWLfied for a while and it was really nice, but I really liked the look of the Onix ENB (it's a miracle, someone made an ENB preset that doesn't look like the next-gen filter cheat in Uncharted!) and it is made especially for Realistic Wasteland Lighting so I ended up removing Nevada Skies and installing RWL. Would be nice to have some rain and storms every once in a while, but I'm not sure if you can use Nevada Skies or Western Skies with RWL and I don't want to break all my poo poo with weird mod conflicts.

I already had a weird glitch with RWL where the sun would be replaced by various ground textures (:catdrugs:) whenever I exited an interior cell, but redoing the archive invalidation in FOMM seems to have fixed that issue.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OH NO MAN posted:

I already had a weird glitch with RWL where the sun would be replaced by various ground textures (:catdrugs:) whenever I exited an interior cell, but redoing the archive invalidation in FOMM seems to have fixed that issue.

I had the same glitch with Nevada Skies.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thanks for recommending that ENB, it looks great if I don't use DOF which I can't stand in any game that doesn't ship with it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hey, no problem. I wasn't even planning on using an ENB because all the ones I had found were of the popular "let's remove all the color and add bloom until you go blind, it's realistic! :downs:" variety, but the Realistic Wasteland Lighting page on Nexus had a link to Onix and I thought it looked fantastic. I also hate DoF most of the time because usually it just seems to simulate your character being very drunk instead of anything resembling a DoF effect, but it's not too bad on Onix.

I ended up uninstalling Interior Lighting Overhaul because even though the dark and moody interiors look great (and make for cool screenshots), I prefer to see where I'm going.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Hilariously, they actually create mods which more realistically simulate what looking at a nuclear irradiated Nevada desert in the middle of the day without even knowing it

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Enhanced shaders without any weather mods (which all suck) is pretty fantastic. ENB is really performance intensive though, I'm not always getting a smooth 60 fps even with a GTX 780.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49882/

Smol fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 18, 2014

cndblank
Nov 6, 2012

Mr E posted:

Thanks for recommending that ENB, it looks great if I don't use DOF which I can't stand in any game that doesn't ship with it.

Onix is great.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Onix is sick, wow. Just started up a new game with it :)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The look Onix gives the game kinda reminds me of Red Dead Redemption, which I'm perfectly fine with because RDR was one of the best-looking games of the 360/PS3 generation.

Only 145 endorsements :eng99:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm making some good progress on the explosive shotgun ammo, there's just a.... slight problem with the basic 20Ga. one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70p6mzA966M

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

watho posted:

I'm making some good progress on the explosive shotgun ammo, there's just a.... slight problem with the basic 20Ga. one...

I'm not seeing any problems here.

Edit: VVV Well, it IS shotgun ammo...

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 18, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems like it's firing multiple explosive buckshot pellets rather than one explosive projectile.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

watho posted:

Heh. If you want to fix that (though why would you want to?), set the number of projectiles per shot to 1.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It is only shooting one projectile. That's the weird thing.

Edit: Well, it's shooting a bunch of them but it is set to only shoot one.

watho fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 18, 2014

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

OH NO MAN posted:

The look Onix gives the game kinda reminds me of Red Dead Redemption, which I'm perfectly fine with because RDR was one of the best-looking games of the 360/PS3 generation.

Only 145 endorsements :eng99:

That shot does remind me of the sun-baked Mexico lighting. It's a shame that RDR isn't a PC release, because I can't be bothered to load up my XBox360 these days.

My PC is a modest Intel i3-2130, AMD HD6850, 8 GB RAM, so I'll probably forego the ENB for the sake of maintaining a high frame rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

watho posted:

Now make them Fat Man explosions.