Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I ALSO HATE WHEAT BEER.

You know what I like? Mexican beer. A nice Sol or Pacifico or Negro Modelo with a lime is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

To the extent that it is used in this fashion it is lovely, because it connotates ambiguous meaning to "y'all", where it otherwise serves a perfectly valid and otherwise underserved grammatic use. This is why "y'all" is great, but it's the only good product of the horrible barbaric Southern culture(that I am from). Even when the South lucks out and produces a useful and valid addition to the english language, they still manage to gently caress it up and use it wrong.

The only thing more boring than proud Southerners is self-deprecating Southerners :keke:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

The only thing more boring than proud Southerners is self-deprecating Southerners :keke:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

You guys just need to learn more about beer. There are a bazillion styles of beers out there besides IPA's. Depending on where you live, you probably have a ton of local non-IPA options. Look into amber ales, or even stouts. A good Oatmeal or Chocolate stout might be want you are looking for.

I am kind of over IPA's in general now, although I drank some Founder's Devil Dancer last weekend(a 12% "triple" IPA) last weekend. It was good but it wrecked my life the next day.

I've grown to love Belgian beer the most. You just can't beat a good Trippel.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Quebec has an astounding amount of beer variety. I know Unibroue makes it into American markets but there's so much more if you go visit (Montreal, specifically).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude like 80%+ of artisan, bespoke beer are ales. So when you say oh there are tons of non-IPA options you mean there are tons of ales. Heavy, cloying ales.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

zoux posted:

Dude like 80%+ of artisan, bespoke beer are ales. So when you say oh there are tons of non-IPA options you mean there are tons of ales. Heavy, cloying ales.

Why do you hate wheat beer. What about nice dark porters and stouts and such?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't like the taste of wheat beer. Porters and stouts are too heavy to me, I drink one of those and it's nap time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Beer tracking apps rule for this kind of thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't like the taste of wheat beer. Porters and stouts are too heavy to me, I drink one of those and it's nap time.

Well maybe you should get up your tolerance for calories, then. And stop saying that it's bad beer, you just dislike good beer.

Well okay you maybe did say that it's just that you hate them, but still.

Mmm, dark beer. Also Trader Joe's makes a really tasty Dunkelweisen.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
IPAs are garbage.

I like lagers but Red Stripe tastes like someone put a cigarette out in it to me. I've never heard anyone else make that complaint, but I keep trying it and it tastes just like ashes. Maybe it's one of those weird chemical reaction tastes that only works for some people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only beer type I'll issue a fatwa against are IPAs. My friend always brings these goddamn IPAs over to my house.

Is Shiner Bock everywhere now? It used to be Texas only, it was like the ultimate party beer: reasonably priced and pretty much everyone likes it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
"session" beers i don't know, I usually just want a pilsner or lager if it's hot out, though Guinness or other mild stouts are a lot better for that than you might expect.

I don't like the "infected" beers (lambic etc.) or most other "Beligian-style" beers or wheat beers, IPAs, and I don't like beers to be too sweet (porters) or floral or fruity. Everything else is good and I'll even drink the ones I just listed, just would Bartleby not to.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The only real difference between a Lager and an Ale is the type of yeast used. Everything else comes down to the style of the beer.

You can get stupid high gravity lagers too, see: Doppelbocks

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's definitely true that there are just too many IPAs in the microbrew game these days. Breweries should stop cranking out three different IPAs at the same time, it's obnoxious.

But I'm not going to get on board this "gently caress all IPAs" bandwagon and you can gently caress right on off with "gently caress all wheat beer".

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

can't wait to get home and drink some of these.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

I ALSO HATE WHEAT BEER.

You know what I like? Mexican beer. A nice Sol or Pacifico or Negro Modelo with a lime is perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9UtIhOI8M

Even Bangkok is inundated with wheat beers and import IPAs and any Belgian beer in a cute ( ^___^ ) bottle or glass now. I'm dying inside.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The craft beer "scene" has a weird hops obsession. People assume the more IBU's(the measurement of bittering in the beer) = better.
It has become a weird hops arms race now to see who can cram the most into a beer. I blame Stone brewing for this haha.

I even went to a place once that had a "Randall". It basically ran your fresh draft beer through a series of tubes, into a tank of fresh hops, and then into your glass to add extra hops to and already hoppy beer.

The madness needs to stop!

I personally hate this trend. I used to love the super hoppy stuff, but as I get older I like it less and less.

Thankfully where I live(Michigan) we have ton of breweries who try to make good beers instead of just hoppy beers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's because IPAs are easy to make. Step One: DUMP IN A SHITLOAD OF HOPS.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zoux posted:

That's because IPAs are easy to make. Step One: DUMP IN A SHITLOAD OF HOPS.

zoux I think I might like you but only because of your hatred of hoppy beer, I reject wholesale your argument against wheat and dark beers. How do you feel about cider? Or liquor?

vvvvvvv yessss for the oktoberfest though pumpkin beer seems to be way "let's put it into everything!" just like hops for about a month

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just a couple of months until Oktoberfest and Pumpkin Ale season though :dance:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You know what's fun? Bia hoi in Vietnam. That's fun. Is it good? I don't know, but drinking bia hoi is fun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

zoux I think I might like you but only because of your hatred of hoppy beer, I reject wholesale your argument against wheat and dark beers. How do you feel about cider? Or liquor?

vvvvvvv yessss

Cider, feh, I don't like sweet brews.

I pretty much only like bourbon, I don't drink it straight because it gives me heartburn so my cocktail of choice is bourbon and cola. I guess I drink tequila when it's in a margarita or something. I hate vodka and gin. Oh and scotch tastes like bandaids, scotch drinking is cargo cult masculinity akin to the fedora imo.

Joementum posted:

Pumpkin Ale

loving goddamn Yankees man.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You should try an old fashioned, makes the bourbon nice and smooth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also this guy really makes me want to try an honest to goodness mint julep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Cider, feh, I don't like sweet brews.

I pretty much only like bourbon, I don't drink it straight because it gives me heartburn so my cocktail of choice is bourbon and cola. I guess I drink tequila when it's in a margarita or something. I hate vodka and gin. Oh and scotch tastes like bandaids, scotch drinking is cargo cult masculinity akin to the fedora imo.

I think you might just not like alcohol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's true I don't drink very much.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Here I though I was the only one. gently caress beer nerds pushing all this ale poo poo everywhere. You know what I like? Carlsberg.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't drink at all. I just hate the taste of alcohol.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Yeah, I'll admit that pumpkin ale is silly, but it's a nice treat once a year. And the advantage of drinking up North is that the winter is the perfect season for a porter. Drinking beers with coffee and chocolate in them in ninety degree weather is indefensible, but on a day when the snow is piled halfway up the door it's delicious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

W-winter? Snow?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'm not sure whether the Australian whose asleep now or the guy who doesn't really like 99% of alcohol is responsible for beer chat before noon, but here we are.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

but on a day when the snow is piled halfway up the door it's delicious.

Oh, so it was only a light snow.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

XyloJW posted:

I'm not sure whether the Australian whose asleep now or the guy who doesn't really like 99% of alcohol is responsible for beer chat before noon, but here we are.

All y'all are just a bunch of alcoholics. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was off of work yesterday and I was just catching up this morning and saw all the alcohol stuff and, well, I just had to chime in.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Unrelated, I'll be in Seattle next week. Anything I should see?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Wheat beers have that god awfully sweet to them that just makes me grump. Not to mention the nasty beer shits they give me after a six pack.

Then there's the XXX hardcore ultra hop IPA fad. No I do not want to drink a pound of hops thank you.

Uhhh the ol Black Butt Porter by Deschuttes kind of owns though. I can drink that all night then feel like poo poo in the morning.

Thank Jim Harbaugh football season is almost upon us so I can not be ashamed about natty light.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

I ALSO HATE WHEAT BEER.

I live in a minority-heavy area and as such I can always find Mexican beer on sale. Mexican beer is the best hot weather beer.

e:

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't drink at all. I just hate the taste of alcohol.
Have you tried butt chugging?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 18, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's cheap and good and light but not "light".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

Why would you not mention the Presidential Suite?

Was Rush Limbaugh president of the Astrodome?

• Locked thread