Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

evil_bunnY posted:

You can get plenty of OOF areas with a Crop sensor and a fast 50.

Yeah, for sure.

I posted this in the Canon thread so SoundMonkey might probate me if I post it a third time.. but I LIKE IT.

Nifty 50 1.8 wide open with a 450D (XSi apparently to you American folk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah, for sure.

I posted this in the Canon thread so SoundMonkey might probate me if I post it a third time.. but I LIKE IT.

lol if you think i'd either make or enforce a rule that involved me having to count how many threads an image was posted in

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
70D , 50 1.4 @ F2 - You definitely don't need a 200mm f/2

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

timrenzi574 posted:

Yep. I was going to say, my Nikon D3200 with the 50mm f/1.4 lens produces beautiful bokeh on portraits, usually around f/2 as well.

I know that full frame and medium/large format can produce way better, but you can totally get good bokeh on portraits for not too much.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah, for sure.

Nifty 50 1.8 wide open with a 450D (XSi apparently to you American folk).

timrenzi574 posted:

ok so both of these are tiny subjects framed closely

I was saying if you want the hot hot delicious bokeh on a full length portrait (of an adult) you want the 200 f/2.

You can certainly make do with a crop sensor and your platform's 2.8 zoom or a 50mm or even the 35mm to get some oof backgrounds but it's not gonna give you super amazing bokeh.

My favorite bokeh is adapted lenses on crop mirrorless bodies, if I were buying my camera poo poo today I'd get a fuji and a t/s adapter for nikon.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I realize there's probably a mirrorless thread but I follow this thread so I'm going to ask here.

My 20 month old broke my really old point and shoot that I use for work. Real Estate Appraisal, so I shoot exterior and interior pictures of houses.

I'm torn between buying a rugged point and shoot just for ease of use at work. Or do I buy a mirrorless camera? We currently have a canon xsi and sigma 30 1.4. It would be nice to be able to have an autofocus which could keep up with a toddler yet still be lighter and easier to fit into a stuffed full diaper bag.

Things I need for work. Wide Angle. Flash (for shooting in attic's)

Things I want for personal use. Something fast enough to follow a toddler and as good or better as our current DSLR setup. (canon xsi + sigma 30mm 1.4)

Hdip fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 15, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
What is your current DSLR setup?

And yeah, mirrorless thread is over here

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Dren posted:

ok so both of these are tiny subjects framed closely

I was saying if you want the hot hot delicious bokeh on a full length portrait (of an adult) you want the 200 f/2.

You can certainly make do with a crop sensor and your platform's 2.8 zoom or a 50mm or even the 35mm to get some oof backgrounds but it's not gonna give you super amazing bokeh.

My favorite bokeh is adapted lenses on crop mirrorless bodies, if I were buying my camera poo poo today I'd get a fuji and a t/s adapter for nikon.

Yeah - that was very close and uncropped. This one is less tightly framed (cropped from bottom right maybe 1/3 of the frame) @ 85mm f/2.8 , and the rock wall and plants in the far back (30ft away or so) are just mush. I guess if you have a space constrained environment and 7 grand to burn, the 200/2 would be perfect, but I have to settle for a more plebian lifestyle :)

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 15, 2014

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Took the thread's kit lens advice into account, did a bunch more research. Gave serious thought to m43 cameras, but decided that I could live with the DSLR I've mentioned since it's still pretty small and has better lens options. Plan A shifted to "get a D5100 body used ($342 keh) and an 18-55mm kit lens new ($119 VR, $197 VR I, both B&H)," but that price total is $461-$539. I would not be able to afford a VR II kit lens on that budget, but I think I could make do with the old VR model (which I've used before on my friend's D3100).

Plan B is to get a D3200 on Amazon for $479 new which comes with the old VR kit lens. I'm not inclined towards the higher MP count (and the resulting processing slowdown) or the fancy wifi stuff, but it seems like a more direct analogue to what I've shot with before, it's $60 cheaper than getting a used D5100 with the same lens, and it's a new body (with the 1-yr warranty) that will supposedly hold value better than the D5100. Main drawback I've read relative to the D5100 is that the latter has slightly superior low-light functionality.

My question is this, since I'm not experienced enough with deeper functionality on a DSLR to automatically pick the D5100 - is there any reason not to get the D3200 and put the money I'd be saving towards a better lens than the VR? I'm leery about getting a used body and paying more for the same lens or less for an inferior one when the D3200 seems like a safer financial investment.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Somebody is probably selling a vr2 on your local Craigslist for $100 right now.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
28mm, f7.1. Look at that nice out of focus area.

poo poo by TomOlson, on Flickr

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

zgrowler2 posted:

Took the thread's kit lens advice into account, did a bunch more research. Gave serious thought to m43 cameras, but decided that I could live with the DSLR I've mentioned since it's still pretty small and has better lens options. Plan A shifted to "get a D5100 body used ($342 keh) and an 18-55mm kit lens new ($119 VR, $197 VR I, both B&H)," but that price total is $461-$539. I would not be able to afford a VR II kit lens on that budget, but I think I could make do with the old VR model (which I've used before on my friend's D3100).

Plan B is to get a D3200 on Amazon for $479 new which comes with the old VR kit lens. I'm not inclined towards the higher MP count (and the resulting processing slowdown) or the fancy wifi stuff, but it seems like a more direct analogue to what I've shot with before, it's $60 cheaper than getting a used D5100 with the same lens, and it's a new body (with the 1-yr warranty) that will supposedly hold value better than the D5100. Main drawback I've read relative to the D5100 is that the latter has slightly superior low-light functionality.

My question is this, since I'm not experienced enough with deeper functionality on a DSLR to automatically pick the D5100 - is there any reason not to get the D3200 and put the money I'd be saving towards a better lens than the VR? I'm leery about getting a used body and paying more for the same lens or less for an inferior one when the D3200 seems like a safer financial investment.

I would also look at Pentax, though I am a fanboy. The K-30 pretty much sits at the price range your looking for and offers more features than the D5100 including weathersealing and built in shake-reduction. Hell you could get one in blue if you wanted:
https://www.keh.com/363522/pentax-digital-pentax-k-30-crystal-blue-with-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-da-al-wr-52-digital-camera-16-3-m-p

Plus the 18-55 WR completes the weather sealing and is a pretty drat good kit lens.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
If you dont buy full frame, you a scrub. :snoop:

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

zgrowler2 posted:

Plan B sounds like the best deal for you. And even though it has an "old" VR lens, and doesn't have the low light capability of other DSLRs, if you are coming from cell phones and point-n-shoots, an entry level DSLR with a kit lens will be orders of magnitude better and it will take years for you to start feeling limited by what that camera offers.

And don't worry about the body holding value. That is the part that wears out and becomes obsolete the fastest. You want to agonize more over lenses, because those are the parts you can keep using for many years as you upgrade the bodies.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

But enough about your posting.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Local Craigslist has a D5100 with 18-55mm VR lens, strap, and bag for $425. I checked on that this morning and haven't received a response yet (the ad is about a month old, so I'm not too optimistic). If it's available, I'll take it, but if not, the 3300 is increasingly enticing since the D5100 is the only listing in-state for any of the Nikon models I'm looking at. A good friend of mine who does professional work is pushing the D5100 as more upgrade-proof, which I can understand, but it's like you said - it'll take me quite a while to exhaust the features on the D3300. Hell, I barely clicked away from Auto ISO when I used the D3100. I've got a ways to go.

I looked at Pentax equivalents briefly this morning. While I do appreciate the weather-sealing and in-body stabilization, Nikon seems more user-friendly and accommodating with lenses. If I knew anyone local who'd let me try out a Pentax, I'd be interested in the opportunity, but I don't see myself buying one at this point.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. Y'all are super helpful.

e: on Pentax, the idea of shooting in the rain uninhibited has some deep appeal to it, especially since we have a bunch of areas around the county that look pretty jaw-dropping in heavy rain, but I wouldn't wanna make an all-around purchasing decision based on one niche case.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 15, 2014

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
pretty sure the 3200, 3300, 5200, and 5300 all have the newer sensor and you're probably going to want that so don't buy a 3100 or 5100

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Yah, nothing is upgrade proof, and the D5100 has already been superseded. By the time you reach the limits of what you can do with something like the D3300 (which could possibly never happen) the D5100 will probably be painfully old.

And if you never really left the auto modes of the DSLR your borrowed for a short time, you haven't even scratched the surface.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

As an update, Craigslist offer on the D5100 fell through. After lots of painstaking research on the D3200 and some inherent issues with the model, I decided to take a hard left and go with a refurbished Pentax K-30 w/ accompanying 18-55mm lens ($450, both pieces weather and dust-resistant, $30 for a 3-year warranty). Beats both the D3200 and the T3i by the numbers in image quality and most other areas that aren't video (I don't care much about video), plus legacy lens access is a cheaper and more accessible perk than a plethora of upgrade options.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Welcome to Pentax. You've just fallen for the usual post-hoc rationalizations that most new-Pentax-DSLR owners use - weathersealing, legacy glass, pretty, pretty numbers. Don't forget to talk about the dual control wheels and practice waving your hand dismissively every time somebody says "full frame".

Now shoot pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Also,

TAv mode and 2 user-defined modes. :pusheen:

(Yeah, I know that Canon and Nikon have custom modes on their dials.)

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 17, 2014

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

hail satan, etc.

Camera should hopefully be here by Saturday.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Currys / PC World have sent me a letter offering me the 5 year knowhow insurance on the D3200 I bought a few weeks back. It's £60 for 5 years, which seems like a pretty astonishingly good deal. Doesn't insure against fire, theft or weather damage, but it does insure against non-negligent accidents and any repairs.

Seem like a good deal? Anyone have any experience with them? Ordinarily I wouldn't go with C/PCW but the camera was on clearance for £240.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Currys / PC World have sent me a letter offering me the 5 year knowhow insurance on the D3200 I bought a few weeks back. It's £60 for 5 years, which seems like a pretty astonishingly good deal. Doesn't insure against fire, theft or weather damage, but it does insure against non-negligent accidents and any repairs.

Seem like a good deal? Anyone have any experience with them? Ordinarily I wouldn't go with C/PCW but the camera was on clearance for £240.

non-negligent accidents? so like, a car wreck? I have to assume that "crap I dropped my camera" falls under negligent accidents, and thus not covered. Usually those types of extended warranties are a license to steal, but I'm not sure if UK consumer protection laws help that some.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

non-negligent accidents? so like, a car wreck? I have to assume that "crap I dropped my camera" falls under negligent accidents, and thus not covered. Usually those types of extended warranties are a license to steal, but I'm not sure if UK consumer protection laws help that some.
That's why I'm doubtful, I've worked for a funiture insurance call centre and it really was a case of having a clause to cover everything.

The clause in question says they won't cover "repair of the product which has been neglected, abused, misused or damaged intentionally. You must take reasonable care of the product."

It specifies on the front of the policy the benefits are "unlimited free repairs including parts and labour, protection from technical faults, protection from mishaps, speedy repairs, no fault no charge, free replacement if it can't be fixed in 14 days."

Mostly I'm worried about a repeat of what happened with my Minolta 5d where it stopped working from a manufacturing fault.

tldr: my reading is that it covers 'mishaps' that are not due to 'neglect, abuse, misuse or intentional damage.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 18, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Seems like you'd be betting £60 on "My camera will suffer from a problem that is covered under this slightly vague descriptive list". If you win that bet, you get a £240 camera replaced or repaired for £60; if you lose that bet you either get a £240 camera that just keeps working (because no "mishaps" happened in 5 years) or you have a £240 shelf decoration.

That's a quarter of the value cost of the camera (I say cost because if you decided to sell that camera tomorrow I doubt you'd get £240 for it; depreciation happens quickly). Given what your camera will be worth in 5 years if you seal it in carbonite and nothing at all bad happens to it in any way (i.e. not much), I'd say no to this warranty.

The big risks to a camera, as far as I can tell, are things covered by tenant's or home insurance (theft, fire) or not covered by any insurance ever (being a dumbass). None of those things are covered by this policy. You might, if something happened, be able to argue that the camera should not have been rendered non-functional by whatever apparently minor thing happened, but is spending hours and hours on the phone with some insurance company minion worth £180 to you?

Put another way, do you want to spend £300 on a £240 camera?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Where do these knockoff lenses come from?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/85mm-Portrai...=item4622ef1d7f

I mean, for that price I can only assume it's a knockoff. But do they even work? Wouldn't it be a lot of effort to make a fake Canon lens?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Same place all knock-offs come from. China.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

triplexpac posted:

I mean, for that price I can only assume it's a knockoff. But do they even work? Wouldn't it be a lot of effort to make a fake Canon lens?

They're not knockoffs of anything, they're never branded as actual Nikon or Canon lenses. They seem to be mostly sold under the Opteka or Vivitar name.

They're just cheap, Chinese made portrait lenses likely made with an optical design from an older 85mm lens from another manufacturer with an expired patent.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Cant be any worse than a Bowyer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also it's manual focus, if that matters.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

quote:

85mm f/1.8 manual focus, digitally-optimized fisheye lens with Canon mount
An 85mm fisheye would be weird. It's probably not actually a fisheye lens, the seller likely copy-pasted from an ad for one of those terrible screw-on fisheye adaptors. I hope. As far as the effort required to make a non-Canon lens that works on a Canon camera, it's a matter of reverse-engineering and copying the lens mount. As long as you get the precise measurements right (flange focal distance, diameter, the various protruding and recessed parts of the bayonet mount) it will fit on the camera.

"for Canon" does not mean "Canon". It means "Third party". Quality of third-party lenses ranges from very good (Sigma, Tamron) to hilariously bad (Phoenix, modern Vivitar). I don't know about that particular lens or manufacturer, but that's a pretty picture of some horses.

im an orange
Jun 24, 2005
i'm interested in getting a 70-300 mm lens for my nikon d3200. can anyone recommend me a lens? cheap but still good. i'm hoping to keep the budget under $200-250 if possible

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

im an orange posted:

i'm interested in getting a 70-300 mm lens for my nikon d3200. can anyone recommend me a lens? cheap but still good. i'm hoping to keep the budget under $200-250 if possible

That price range would seem to fit a used Tamron 70-300mm VC USD. Not sure about Nikon's offerings in that range though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

im an orange posted:

Tamron stabilized

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

theloafingone posted:

That price range would seem to fit a used Tamron 70-300mm VC USD. Not sure about Nikon's offerings in that range though.

The 70-300 VR (the Nikon one) is middlin and costs way too loving much for what it does.

Go with the Tamron VC used.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

As an update, very pleased with the Pentax K-30. took it out for a few test shoots around town and the kit lens does real well. Bought a Vivitar Series 1 v3 70-210mm to accompany it and that lens is gorgeous. Heavy, imperfect, but gorgeous. There's something about manual focus that resonates with me.

Gonna try to get a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 at some point before the year's up, maybe a 200mm f/4 if I can stretch my budget. Think I'll be set for a while at that point.

Question - I keep seeing things about reverse adapters for macro. Are those usable with zoom lenses or primes only? I don't think I'd need or want one unless I get into really detailed macro (210mm at min range of 0.8m on the Vivitar is good for most things that aren't super close-ups), but I'm curious as to what all can be used with them.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

zgrowler2 posted:

As an update, very pleased with the Pentax K-30. took it out for a few test shoots around town and the kit lens does real well. Bought a Vivitar Series 1 v3 70-210mm to accompany it and that lens is gorgeous. Heavy, imperfect, but gorgeous. There's something about manual focus that resonates with me.

Gonna try to get a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 at some point before the year's up, maybe a 200mm f/4 if I can stretch my budget. Think I'll be set for a while at that point.

Question - I keep seeing things about reverse adapters for macro. Are those usable with zoom lenses or primes only? I don't think I'd need or want one unless I get into really detailed macro (210mm at min range of 0.8m on the Vivitar is good for most things that aren't super close-ups), but I'm curious as to what all can be used with them.

I guess there's no reason you COULDN'T use a zoom, but most people used relatively short primes (fiddys, 28s, etc). It can be cool for like REALLY TINY stuff, but the working distance is hilariously small, as is the DoF. It's certainly worth blowing $10 on a reversing ring and giving it a shot, but don't count on it being your breakthrough into the world of macro.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

SoundMonkey posted:

I guess there's no reason you COULDN'T use a zoom, but most people used relatively short primes (fiddys, 28s, etc). It can be cool for like REALLY TINY stuff, but the working distance is hilariously small, as is the DoF. It's certainly worth blowing $10 on a reversing ring and giving it a shot, but don't count on it being your breakthrough into the world of macro.

Sounds neat, thanks. I wasn't expecting fantastic results by any means, but I may give it a shot sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

zgrowler2 posted:

A DCR-250 or other decent quality diopter thing might work really well with that 70-210 for pretty serious macro stuff. I tried one on my basic Canon 70-300 and it basically became a ~0.3x-1.5x adjustable macro lens with pretty good working distance and subjectively 75% the image quality of my 100mm L macro lens. Got the DCR from a goon for $60, and you should be able to find it for around that price pretty easily. I think a couple goons with very prolific insect photos in the macro thread use this or similar on basic lenses.

• Locked thread