Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Increasing labour efficiency and automation is one of the top priorities of marxists, just the idea is to pass the savings onto society rather than allowing a few capitalists to squander it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlRw7ytyIc
Did someone say driveless container trucks???

Those are awesome. Get them working at highway speeds and certified for the road and we are in business.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Cultural Imperial posted:

I'm surprised none of you marxist sjws have said anything about the erosion of labour rights as supply chains move away from trucking to rail.

Making it so improvements in technology and efficiency aren't at odds with employment and the well-being of the working class is an excellent reason to convert to Marxism-Sjwsism.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
So out of curiosity, is that freight transport-mix really that much less rail-heavy for Europe? Euro Truck + Train Simulator would lead me to believe that yes, quite possibly so!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Increasing labour efficiency and automation is one of the top priorities of marxists, just the idea is to pass the savings onto society rather than allowing a few capitalists to squander it.

There's a bunch of great articles on ftalphaville about how your assertion is something of a paradox. Check out their series on the rise of the robots.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/tag/robots/

The above link is a huge scattergun of stuff but the overall theme is, 'robots' and thus labour efficiency is bad for people.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

The above link is a huge scattergun of stuff but the overall theme is, 'robots' and thus labour efficiency is bad for people.

It probably will be, but it needn't be.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

There's a bunch of great articles on ftalphaville about how your assertion is something of a paradox. Check out their series on the rise of the robots.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/tag/robots/

That looks like it's talking about how things would play out within the status-quo of a capitalist economy (and is therefore very much old hat in Marxist terms - though the Beyond Scarcity series looks interesting enough to read regardless)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

It probably will be, but it needn't be.

I'm all in favour of a Piketty tax but hey, I also want a pony and that's not going to happen any time soon.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

I'm all in favour of a Piketty tax but hey, I also want a pony and that's not going to happen any time soon.

Well it's not like we have choice between that and a moratorium on productivity enhancing improvements either. So either you take what will happen as a given and start drinking or you start wishing for stuff and asking for it in some productive coordinated way, in which case, it's very stupid to ask for the latter.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Mr. Wynand posted:

That looks like it's talking about how things would play out within the status-quo of a capitalist economy (and is therefore very much old hat in Marxist terms - though the Beyond Scarcity series looks interesting enough to read regardless)

This article blew my mind when I first read it:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2012/12/10/1303512/the-robot-economy-and-the-new-rentier-class/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Mr. Wynand posted:

Well it's not like we have choice between that and a moratorium on productivity enhancing improvements either. So either you take what will happen as a given and start drinking or you start wishing for stuff and asking for it in some productive coordinated way, in which case, it's very stupid to ask for the latter.

Which is why I'm tailoring my life for myself and my family to be as mobile and marketable as possible. Which is why it's so infuriating to discuss community when it comes to economic necessity.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mr. Wynand posted:

So out of curiosity, is that freight transport-mix really that much less rail-heavy for Europe? Euro Truck + Train Simulator would lead me to believe that yes, quite possibly so!

Yeah basically Europe and the US have about equally developed rail networks for their population, europe uses the network to move people, the US to move freight. Europe has a much older network and smaller loading gauge (how big/tall trains can be) which is fine for passenger trains, which are not long or too tall, but can't exactly run 2km long double-stack container trains. Europe is though frantically investing in freight rail, and upgrading to hopefully one day be able to run double-stacks which are incredibly efficient at moving containers. That huge tunnel they built under the alps was basically to get trucks going from germany to italy to not have to drive through Switzerland and instead go on a train under it. Europe already pays way more for gas so the push to get more cargo on trains is big, plus those trucks pollute and clog roads.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

That's still pretty old-hat unless I'm missing something. Also Pickety basically made the same point but in a much more elegant and universally applicable manner. And so did another hirsute German fellow whose name escapes me just now.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This just popped up on my tweety

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=399582

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Which is why I'm tailoring my life for myself and my family to be as mobile and marketable as possible. Which is why it's so infuriating to discuss community when it comes to economic necessity.

As the thread's most enigmatic poster - can I ask what you do work wise? I'm guessing something in tech, but I'm curious what in particular (i.e. stack/expertise, not company).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

As the thread's most enigmatic poster - can I ask what you do work wise? I'm guessing something in tech, but I'm curious what in particular (i.e. stack/expertise, not company).

Orchestration - pretending to be a python coder most days.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
And now the bitterness makes sense.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How the housing market has cooled in most of Canada

quote:

"It’s not a disaster by any means, but we’re very much back to a normal or a soft market in a lot of parts of Canada," said housing analyst Ben Rabidoux, president of North Cove Advisors,

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Oh, thank goodness. We can finally get back to buying houses again, now that the market has cooled and had a soft landing.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

But... he just means number of sales, right? It's not like price:rent or price:income has normalized in most of Canada?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

But... he just means number of sales, right? It's not like price:rent or price:income has normalized in most of Canada?

I think it's just that the rest of the country is at the top of the rollercoaster waiting for gravity to take over.

One of the more obnoxious parts of real estate coverage in the media, is that Vancouver and Toronto stats are published like the apply to Canada as a whole, while the significantly less rosy Canadian numbers are not mentioned.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought they didn't track this stuff?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

Asians and Atlantic Canadians are causing our bubble. Jerks!

I suspect that what they track, and what they say they track varies quite a bit and the difference follows quite closely to what narrative they are trying to support.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are you suggesting MLS® and its REALTORS® ever cherry pick data to support their agenda?? REALTOR® wouldn't be a respected and protected brand name if these weren't informed people you can TRUST®.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Are you suggesting MLS® and its REALTORS® ever cherry pick data to support their agenda?? REALTOR® wouldn't be a respected and protected brand name if these weren't informed people you can TRUST®.

Why, it's almost as if it's a bad idea to let a parasitic, rent-seeking monopoly be the sole steward of data governing many billions worth of citizens' wealth and debts. :monocle:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

This is awesome. Where'd you get this from?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vibrantvictoria.ca has recently courted some REALTORS who do Q&A's and use the forum to market projects and them selves under the guise of volunteering their time to share their information and expertise with the community. Someone who knew what they were talking about could troll the gently caress out of that site and many of the REALTORS there.

It's mostly a bunch of housing bears, skyscraper boosters, libertarians, and bitter failed small business owners. "If only Victoria had more skyscrapers and less nanny state regulations everything would be perfect!" The few left of centre people and housing bears got driven away long ago.

The plus is that if you ask nicely, a lot of the REALTORS and development PR people will give out a lot of good and interesting information, if you can of course pick through the marketing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't loving wait for someone to spill the beans with the same chart for Vancouver.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I'm pretty curious where they sourced the data from. Voluntary disclosures or data mining people's service addresses as provided for documentation.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rob Carrick has put together an amusingly named Flipboard list called Housing Heretic:

https://flipboard.com/section/housing-heretic-bAh7Lg

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-18/canada-may-wholesale-sales-beat-all-forecasts-led-by-automobiles.html

quote:

Canada May Wholesale Sales Beat All Forecasts Led by Automobiles
By Greg Quinn Jul 18, 2014 5:30 AM PT 0 Comments Email Print

Canadian wholesale sales exceeded all economist forecasts in May, led by a jump in automobile sales, government figures showed.

Sales rose 2.2 percent to C$52.6 billion ($48.9 billion), Statistics Canada said today in Ottawa. The highest forecast in a Bloomberg News survey of 11 economists was 0.9 percent, and the median prediction was 0.6 percent.

Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz is counting on a rotation to business investment and exports from spending by indebted consumers to lead economic growth. The central bank forecast this week it will take about two years for the economy to reach full output.

Motor vehicle and parts sales jumped 9.8 percent to C$9.29 billion in May. Motor vehicles jumped 13.2 percent, the largest increase since November 2009. Sales excluding motor vehicles and parts rose 0.7 percent.

The volume of wholesale sales, which removes the impact of price changes, also rose 2.2 percent in May.

Statistics Canada today also revised April’s wholesale sales gain to 1.4 percent from its earlier 1.2 percent estimate.

Wholesale inventories increased 0.2 percent to C$65.2 billion, and the inventory-to-sales ratio fell to 1.24 in May from 1.27 in April.

This is loving awesome. I gurantee you loving shithead canadian prideful owners of houses are thinking, hey my house just went up 8% in value - time to realize some of those gains and buy a bmw!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-18/canada-may-wholesale-sales-beat-all-forecasts-led-by-automobiles.html

This is loving awesome. I gurantee you loving shithead canadian prideful owners of houses are thinking, hey my house just went up 8% in value - time to realize some of those gains and buy a bmw!

What?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/16/vancouver-real-estate_n_5592728.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

25 mil for a boarded up home in point grey

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Thirty years ago a lot of these mansions were being rented as rooming houses to university students, my old landladies told me stories of their friends holding parties in the one you linked. They were renting it for $1000/month in 1983. Only in the mid 1990's did the nouveaux-riche come along and start tearing down the old Point Grey mansions to build the tasteless mega-palaces that now permeate the area.

Sadly, as a result of this gentrification, the few older mansions left are now boarded up and being sold as land value only (this isn't the only one by far, I've been to at least six). After all, you couldn't possibly dream of renting it out for less than $6000/month, look at the neighbourhood! Point Grey commands a premium, and to hell if you're losing money hand over fist on the annual property taxes, renting the property is simply unacceptable.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Thirty years ago a lot of these mansions were being rented as rooming houses to university students, my old landladies told me stories of their friends holding parties in the one you linked. They were renting it for $1000/month in 1983. Only in the mid 1990's did the nouveaux-riche come along and start tearing down the old Point Grey mansions to build the tasteless mega-palaces that now permeate the area.

Sadly, as a result of this gentrification, the few older mansions left are now boarded up and being sold as land value only (this isn't the only one by far, I've been to at least six). After all, you couldn't possibly dream of renting it out for less than $6000/month, look at the neighbourhood! Point Grey commands a premium, and to hell if you're losing money hand over fist on the annual property taxes, renting the property is simply unacceptable.

I know there's a whole bunch of these rooming house mansions in shaughnessy as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think he means that a lot of people will spend (more money they don't have) on toys when their house values go up. I've seen it happen, our family rich friends bought a mansion a long while ago, it went up about 10% between assessments because bubble and they went out and bought a boat that coast about the same as their gains. No it's not like you actually get the money when your house value goes up, but you obviously will because equity is money in the bank.

This was rich people though not in massive debt.

Some people will see their house go up then on top of all their debt, take our more debt against their house because clearly they can afford more debt. For a scary number of people their livestyle is entirely based on how much debt they can afford, not how much spending they can afford. House went up? Awesome we can afford more debt now! Got a raise at work? Awesome I'll quality for more debt! They are constantly at as much debt as the system will possibly allow, this is the norm for them. And a lot of these people are struggling working families but full on "middle class" people who absolutely never needed to dig them selves into debt like that, but they just HAD to have that 800k house not the 600k house. They both needed the higher end model cars, it's part of their careers, others would judge them! They have no savings, only debt, but they feel everything is fine because their incomes keep going up, their house value keeps going up, and when they sell their house it will clear all their debt plus a healthy profit so why not live high on the hog now?

The slighest dip in home value or the economy can absolutely screw this sort of person over, and we've structured our entire financial system to encourage poeple like this to exist. I don't know if it's just short term stupidity or an actual "people up to their eyeballs in debt to sustain a very comfortable life don't rock the political boat" way of controlling society and ensuring the status quo is maintained.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

The slighest dip in home value or the economy can absolutely screw this sort of person over, and we've structured our entire financial system to encourage poeple like this to exist. I don't know if it's just short term stupidity or an actual "people up to their eyeballs in debt to sustain a very comfortable life don't rock the political boat" way of controlling society and ensuring the status quo is maintained.

It's the structure of capitalism. When you pay people less than the value that they produce debt levels need to continue to increase or no one would be able to afford anything.

Think about it. The economy produces X amount of products. The producers of said products are paid X-profit. People will never have enough money to buy everything they produce unless they go into debt.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 18, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The kind of debt you're seeing in Vancouver is definitely not a result of people not being able to subsist. It's straight up materialism.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
^ This. I have many friends that make nearly double my wage, if not more, yet subsist paycheque to paycheque. I tell them I put half my monthly take-home straight in my savings account and they struggle to understand how that is even possible. "It's called not being an irresponsible idiot with your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

I doubt that HELOC purchased BMWs are the new opiate of the masses, though they do make economic numbers look better than they would otherwise.