Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So I'm on a study abroad, and because my internet sucks right now I've been taking a break from FFXIV (can't dodge poo poo in dungeons with this bad internet). I've been dicking around in SWtOR, got a Jedi Guardian to 27 and joined a random pubbie guild that is truly loving awful. I had forgotten how much I like this game, though. While I'm playing a lot now, at the end of August it's going to be my "side-game" while I'm mostly poopsocking FFXIV.

Just rolled up a Bounty Hunter, was hoping I could get into the guild, as long as being super-casual isn't an issue. Name is Frostypox.

Right now the plan is get one of every class to 55 to enjoy the story lines and then... I dunno. Do whatever it is you can do at 55 that doesn't involve dedicated scheduling I guess.

EDIT: Whee, I'm in TNG now. I'll have to get that Pub character into the alt guild at some point, I suppose, since I want to finish leveling that one too.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

So wait, all these high-level biochem stuffs require you to have that biochem skill to use it? What the hell? The enhancements my friend gave me sure didn't work that way.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sighence posted:

So wait, all these high-level biochem stuffs require you to have that biochem skill to use it? What the hell? The enhancements my friend gave me sure didn't work that way.

The reusable biochem stuff does require the skill, it's a perk of the crew skill. However, the blue versions are actually better than the purple ones (for stims, packs and adrenals) so they are actually preferred for endgame.

Edit - most skills actually have something they make that only they can use. Artifice gives you BoP Rakata relics, others have armoring, and Cybertech gets reusable grenades. The difference, of course, is that biochems are actually useful.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Finally got my new PC so I can play without constant crashes. TNG Imp is the popular one that everyone's in and actually raiding with, right? Might transfer a character over.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

Finally got my new PC so I can play without constant crashes. TNG Imp is the popular one that everyone's in and actually raiding with, right? Might transfer a character over.

Cool guild, yes. We have problems with people wanting to raid though. :)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Cool guild, yes. We have problems with people wanting to raid though. :)

Don't blame me, I was on vacation!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What kind of problems?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

We get people that show up on our Sunday "open raid" night, which is usually something Story Mode, but there is a lack of interest in people trying to do a "serious" raid group to try the harder content for better gear/etc. We have one main raid group that is pretty consistent, but there seems to only be 2-3 other people who want to do the heavy endgame (For reference, we have close to 500 people in the guild, though not all active, and half of them are me and Oedzi's alts). Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, it's just...not a lot of point in having a 55 if you don't want to challenge yourself a bit. :)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm currently busy with FFXIV or I'd play more :(

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

KaneTW posted:

I'm currently busy with FFXIV or I'd play more :(

I'm not going to say that you've made the wrong choice...

...but I'm going to strongly imply it and let you come to your own conclusion.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

They're both fun MMOs, it's just that I'm significantly more invested in FFXIV than SWTOR.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Is there someone on that can invite right now? :shobon:

Also would like an invite on Imp side JC. I'm on as Neon'icon.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I imagine posting the results of our Star Wars Pretty Princess Dressup Games may be frowned upon but I'm pretty proud of finally making a good looking sorcerer. Still looking for a crystal that fits better, but derelict purples are like 800k and that's stupid.

Sorry for the lowish quality, I was on my work computer.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 18, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I imagine posting the results of our Star Wars Pretty Princess Dressup Games may be frowned upon but I'm pretty proud of finally making a good looking sorcerer. Still looking for a crystal that fits better, but derelict purples are like 800k and that's stupid.

Sorry for the lowish quality, I was on my work computer.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is anyone in a decent west coast guild? JC and the other east coast servers give me about 300ms which is doable I guess, but I'll avoid it if I can.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can you use more than 1 referral link to get more free character x-fers?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Don't think so, I tried using a few different referrals when I decided to re-sub a few days ago, and none of them worked for me - I'm assuming it's because I already used one the last time I subbed, and it's a one-time thing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm in SF but I play on the East severs and I never have a ping above 70ish. Odd.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's correct! There's also a republic guild on JC, but there's not many people active at any given time.

We had about 6 the other night. But that was a first I guess for a long time. It would be nice to see more repub players. I played Imp for so long, I was due for a change. Plus I wanted to play through the Jedi Knight and Smuggler story lines. My agent, SI and SW are all on the imp side on JC.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Something about some stupid planet that couldn't possibly hold any relevance for the near future.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20140718

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Revan's still alive and breeding a Firaxan Shark army on Manaan using Darth Bandon's DNA, you heard it here first.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Something about some stupid planet that couldn't possibly hold any relevance for the near future.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20140718

quote:

It serves us well to strike a balance. After all, what guarantees do we have that either side would remain at arm’s length if left unchecked?

I'm sure that won't come up though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man, was that the sealab planet? gently caress that planet.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
The one with blubbering fishmen and trial of breaking a few laws. If my OCD about story order wasn't so bad, I could just jump in once that comes out.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Crindee posted:

Don't think so, I tried using a few different referrals when I decided to re-sub a few days ago, and none of them worked for me - I'm assuming it's because I already used one the last time I subbed, and it's a one-time thing.
According to the site and FAQs, you only become eligible for a referral again once you've been unsubscribed for 90 days. You don't get any more free character transfers though, that's a one-time thing only.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blhue posted:

Man, was that the sealab planet? gently caress that planet.

Might be good minus sealab.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

I'm in SF but I play on the East severs and I never have a ping above 70ish. Odd.

I'm in Australia so that extra distance makes quite a difference unfortunately.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Insert name here posted:

According to the site and FAQs, you only become eligible for a referral again once you've been unsubscribed for 90 days. You don't get any more free character transfers though, that's a one-time thing only.

I've definitely been unsubscribed for over 90 days and it won't let me take a second referral, so I don't know about that.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Rasmussen posted:

Is anyone in a decent west coast guild? JC and the other east coast servers give me about 300ms which is doable I guess, but I'll avoid it if I can.

omg chael crash posted:

That's probably because, despite EA/BioWare claims to the contrary about East Coast servers being in Virginia, the ip trace puts Jedi Covenant (an East Coast server) in Redwood City, just outside SF.

Realistically though Rasmussen, if you want to play with goons on a regular basis you'll need to bite the bullet and join Jedi Covenant and just live with the lag - it's really not THAT bad. I've managed to PvP and raid without major dramas despite the ping differential.

[Edit]: Fixed tpyos.... mostly...

OzCavalier fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 19, 2014

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Yeah I rolled a character to try it out and it's not too bad, I'm just bitter after they shut down the APAC servers and I went from 25ms to 180 on harbinger and now I'll be at 300ish on JC. Oh well it's better than playing alone or with randoms.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

How do you people get 300ms from the US when I get 150ms from Europe?

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

KaneTW posted:

How do you people get 300ms from the US when I get 150ms from Europe?

Unlike Europe to US, Australia only has 2 fibre-optic cables linking between the two countries, both of which terminate in NSW. Combined with a lack of any significant fibre-optic cable network for broadband internet, and thus having to primarily rely on an aging (and mostly copper-phone line based) system between those nodes and the rest of the country...

FWIW, here is the result of a Speedtest conducted between my ISP in Melbourne, Australia (internode) and San Jose (Internode): http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3634424204

(Note that to my local ISP servers the same speedtest returns a 26ms ping, with average speeds of 5+Mbps Down, 2.5Mbps up)

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Is there a "correct" way to set up one's action bar as a healer? Should I have two action bars set up, one for healing and one for solo PvE and switch between the two? How do ya'll do it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

Is there a "correct" way to set up one's action bar as a healer? Should I have two action bars set up, one for healing and one for solo PvE and switch between the two? How do ya'll do it.

Having two to switch between is the only way I could even imagine doing it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dr. Tough posted:

As an operative healer, I just have one action bar I use for both. Cooldowns and stuff I don't need to use constantly are on sidebars that I click. I'd probably use a dedicated healing one for ops though, as I do have a few things I click now that I'd probably want to hotkey, and I don't think I'll be using overload shot or throwing grenades as much there as I do in flashpoints.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've said it many times..if you can afford a Razer Naga mouse it makes playing the game so, so much easier. Having easy access to 1-12 is easy mode.

I have pretty close to this same setup on my characters -

Linked because it seems like TIMG isn't working

The bottom are 1-12, and shift 1-12. On the left side I bind C, E, Q, f, G, Shift+E, Shift+Q. Role dependent I put the middle mouse buttons there, but for my healers I change them to target self/target focus.

If I'm PVP'ing I do some minor rearranging to get warzone medpacs and stims on the 2nd bar, but I definitely don't have two setups. Quickbars 5+6 in the top go away when raiding, they're the legacy quickbars and the "toys" quickbar.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

As a Sorc healer, I use one hotbar for both healing and DPS, only moving Crushing Darkness to a less used key when healing.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Well I do not have a fancy mouse, so I'll roll with the one action bar style.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

At least put a second one above the first and bind as shift+nums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Speaking of re-specing I finally got my true nerd on.

• Locked thread