Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Lumpen posted:

Get snow (or ice) into your inventory.
Press g, then choose Make a Campfire.
Press Ctrl-I for advanced interaction. Choose your snow or ice from the menu, then you'll be given the option to to heat it by the campfire. Snow/ice is now drinkable water in your inventory.

Also... if you are deep underground and find nothing but undrinkable muddy water, you can fill your backpack or waterskin with the muddy water, then pour it on the ground, then refill your container from "here" and the water will be clean and drinkable.

Note: this does not work in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

You used to be able to slake your thirst by drinking the water covering off yourself after hopping in a pond or getting rained on, but it looks like that's been nerfed.

It still satisfies, but not very well. And there's a danger of getting so full on slurped up water that you can't fit anything else in, and still not have your thirst quenched.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So... invasions automatically win still right?

I retired a fort, made another mini fort, game back not even a year later to find that 1 human attack later (for unknown reasons I was peaceful with them...), all the dwarfs living at the first fort got beheaded or impaled on copper spikes and now there's a poo poo ton of humans there.

Kind of a barrier to letting forts retire if the first people to come by can take it over and kill everyone living there.

e: and the game crashes when I try to reclaim the first fort. Oh well time to gen a new world. loving humans.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 18, 2014

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Trying to properly outfit my military dudes and wanted to do this odd "first use minimal clothing uniform then real uniform" thing to make sure they got it all on them. Then I realized I dunno some facets of the screen. So..

1. Is there some trick to changing the uniform set completely from one to another that I'm not seeing? I don't want to go through each guy individually, but I guess just removing them from the squad and making another with the proper uniform might work.

2. This is hard to word. In the military screen, is the option CURRENTLY visible (like replace clothing/over clothing) the one they are working under, or not? The squads all have a weird mishmash of clothing so its hard to tell either way.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Are the vaults with the divine metals in them adventure mode only, or can you embark near them in fortress mode?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
So I started playing again, not the new version...yet..and I have this odd quirky thing about my fortress. Every once in a while the entire fortress goes on a puke fit to end all puke fits. Like one dwarf will get nauseous and projectile vomit and then eventually it'll make the rounds to all 100+ of them and the entire place will turn into a vomit slicked nightmare. I narrowed it down and it seems to happen whenever I have my brewmaster make another huge batch of spirits for the winter season.. Kinda like the pie eating scene in Stand By Me except in bizarro world with dwarves.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Was your brewmaster ever contaminated by forgotten beasts?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Nah, none spawned at that point. It's just this occasional vomit wave when I start brewing. Everyone seems happy enough, they just get all pukey sometimes.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Nah, none spawned at that point. It's just this occasional vomit wave when I start brewing. Everyone seems happy enough, they just get all pukey sometimes.

Might be cave adaptation. Does it happen near your entrances? Did you recently build some skylights in the dining hall?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cave adaptation also adds an entry to the dwarves' recent thoughts list that's something like "was nauseated by the sun lately".

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Have you brewed any cave plants lately? I remember reading about how someone brewed up a bunch of poisonous cave plants and it created a sea of vomit.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Since Therapist is working, I decided to try a fortress again. My embark was immediately slaughtered by some undead ravens.

Tried a SECOND fort, and things started going a bit strange. For one, I'd keep getting messages that something has collapsed on the surface. My best guess is that the twigs in the trees couldn't support the weight of blossoms.

The second odd thing is that it started raining elf blood.

And I'm nowhere near an evil biome.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

StrangeAeon posted:

Tried a SECOND fort, and things started going a bit strange. For one, I'd keep getting messages that something has collapsed on the surface. My best guess is that the twigs in the trees couldn't support the weight of blossoms.

I got this when I accidentally dug into some tree roots. The trees survived but I'm not sure if they lost some branches or what.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I have a new arrival dwarf who is a proficient speardwarf, but she won't show up in the military list. She's checked in at the meeting hall and everything, I can assign her to a room, but she just doesn't show up on the screen where you assign dwarves to squads. Can dwarves be pacifists now?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Speaking of vaults, how do you find a vault? Do you have to stumble across it, or can you look up its name in legends mode and hope someone can at least give you directions?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Are there any bugs related to training crossbowmen? I set up a room with archery targets, I have enough crossbows and ammo, all my ammo is set as "okay for training AND combat," my squad is active/training, they're assigned to the room... but they're just not doing anything.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Roctavian posted:

Are there any bugs related to training crossbowmen? I set up a room with archery targets, I have enough crossbows and ammo, all my ammo is set as "okay for training AND combat," my squad is active/training, they're assigned to the room... but they're just not doing anything.
Do you mean "I've set up a barracks (from an [armor stand | weapon rack | chest]) whose area happens to include some Archery Targets"? Because that's not sufficient. You need to setup a room from the Archery Target itself. This room can encompass multiple Archery Targets, but the key thing is that it will have a directional designation (such as "Shoot from Left to Right") which must be set correctly. As with a barracks, the archery training room must also be designated training use, by the appropriate squad(s), via the ZTIQ+- keys. The final point (which is tedious/annoying) is that you must do the whole q-menu thing for each Archery Target independently. Don't worry if the resulting room-definitions overlap with each other (it doesn't cause any problems). Be sure to set the correct shooting direction, squad assignment, and training option on all of them.

The archery training area can overlap with a normal barracks-training area, but that probably isn't a good idea - especially if you're using metal bolts. A pair of sparring dwarves might grapple each other right into the line-of-fire and get punctured.

Other stuff:
  • do you have quivers?
  • has each of the marksdwarves equipped a quiver?
  • do the equipped quivers contain bolts?
  • does the marksdwarf squad also have a regular barracks+training area assigned to them?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GulMadred posted:

The final point (which is tedious/annoying) is that you must do the whole q-menu thing for each Archery Target independently.

Ooooooh, thanks for this. I noticed occasional archery shooting the last time I made a barracks but I didn't pay enough attention to notice only one was being used.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
40.03 DT memory layouts for linux are up.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/DF2014/etc/memory_layouts/linux/v040.03.ini

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Dammit, I was just coming here to post that.
:black101: Get to work you lazy bastards!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Embarking on a populated cave crashes the game :(

nudipedalia
May 29, 2008
Just a reminder (mostly to myself as I am rediscovering Dwarf Fortress) that embark points-wise most efficient industry is glassmaking.

Let's take an example: I want to make some large pots because they store twice as much as barrels and look better. I assume here you have a fire-safe building material such as can be made by deconstructing a wagon and making ash.

Metal pots. Bring 2 bituminous coal (cost 3 per unit), 1 wood (to booststrap coke production, cost 3), 3 units of native copper (cost 3*6). Bituminous coal gives 9 fuel per unit giving you 17 fuel that melts 3 ore into 12 bars of copper. From 12 bars you make 12 pots and there's two fuel bars left over. 12 pots for the cost of 27 embark points.

Glass pots. Bring coal and fuel same as before (cost 9), and 16 units of sand (cost 1*16). 16 fuel gives you 16 pots. As a bonus you get 16 bags previously used for sand. 16 pots for the cost of 25 embark points.

Stone pots. Bring 9 stone (cost 3*9). 9 pots for the cost of 27 embark points.

And other industries just get more efficient since you need wood only to start coke production, and this doesn't even take into account larger items that require several metal bars such as doors.

nudipedalia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 18, 2014

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
That sure is a :spergin: post about pots, all right.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

nudipedalia posted:

Just a reminder (mostly to myself as I am rediscovering Dwarf Fortress) that embark points-wise most efficient industry is glassmaking.

Let's take an example: I want to make some large pots because they store twice as much as barrels and look better. I assume here you have a fire-safe building material such as can be made by deconstructing a wagon and making ash.

Metal pots. Bring 2 bituminous coal (cost 3 per unit), 1 wood (to booststrap coke production, cost 3), 3 units of native copper (cost 3*6). Bituminous coal gives 9 fuel per unit giving you 17 fuel that melts 3 ore into 12 bars of copper. From 12 bars you make 12 pots and there's two fuel bars left over. 12 pots for the cost of 27 embark points.

Glass pots. Bring coal and fuel same as before (cost 9), and 16 units of sand (cost 1*16). 16 fuel gives you 16 pots. As a bonus you get 16 bags previously used for sand. 16 pots for the cost of 25 embark points.

And other industries just get more efficient since you need wood only to start coke production, and this doesn't even take into account larger items that require several metal bars such as doors.

You can make wood large pots, and you can get 9 logs from chopping down one tree. For free.

Rock pots made sense in previous versions because wood was limited. Now you usually have a shitload so use it up.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wish I could find iron

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

nudipedalia posted:

I'm not super experienced here, but are rocks really something you need to embark with? I was rather under the impression that most areas don't exactly have a shortage of them, so in practice you get ∞ pots for the cost of 0 embark points.

I really don't understand what you're getting at here.

nudipedalia
May 29, 2008

esquilax posted:

You can make wood large pots, and you can get 9 logs from chopping down one tree. For free.

Rock pots made sense in previous versions because wood was limited. Now you usually have a shitload so use it up.

Well, look at this fancy dwarf with trees and poo poo <:downs:>. You might as well ask for stone you can dig or actual trading caravans.

e: Really this is for special projects like embarking on an isolated island and other ideas when dfhack works again.

nudipedalia fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 18, 2014

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

I wish I could find iron

Keep going down

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Iny posted:

I'm not super experienced here, but are rocks really something you need to embark with? I was rather under the impression that most areas don't exactly have a shortage of them, so in practice you get ∞ pots for the cost of 0 embark points.

If you are doing some serious :spergin: min-maxing you need to bring a few rocks with you to build fire-safe buildings from so you can smelt your first picks, and not having rocks when you are trying to pierce an aquifer can suck.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I haven't had a hard time with embark points since the 2d version. You can bring enough supplies to feed and outfit dozens of dwarves now, let alone 7.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Iny posted:

I actually do bring a big heap of stone with me because it's nice to get an early start on a walled courtyard before you get underground.

But if you're at the point where you need pots, yeah I'm not sure if you need to worry about embark efficiency, just refill the old ones.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I haven't had a hard time with embark points since the 2d version. You can bring enough supplies to feed and outfit dozens of dwarves now, let alone 7.

If people are putting many points into skills, the number of points decreases quite dramatically. Same if you're trying to bring a decent set of armor or something. Other than pitfalls like that though, yeah, never had much trouble with it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I think the only time you really need to :spergin: this hard is if you're embarking onto a glacier with an aquifer between the ice layer and the stone layer.

nudipedalia
May 29, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

If people are putting many points into skills, the number of points decreases quite dramatically. Same if you're trying to bring a decent set of armor or something. Other than pitfalls like that though, yeah, never had much trouble with it.

It's really for special projects where every point counts.

Long time ago when I tried some DF I did this (ignore the name). Then I tried embarking without anything at all on an isolated island where all edges are water. Once I had built some green glass and horse fat spires I got bored again. It's really like Nethack conducts where the fun is in the limitations (and I'm still :spergin:pissed about losing illiterate on my rogue when zap-iding wands).

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Wow, my latest dwarven home-civ is pretty progressive. Despite only containing seven hundred goblins to over seven thousand dwarves, it's ruled by a 125 year old goblin queen.

I'm kind of surprised that the goblin outpost liaison I was visited by didn't cause any problems, but if this fortress ever becomes the mountain home, I fully expect things to break.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I will do things like bring a little bit of every type of milk I can so I can make it all into cheese for cheap and have a bunch of spare barrels, but that's about as far as I'll go with regards to min-maxing. I could get bags of sand and dump the sand for cheaper bags... or I could just bring more bags, or make my own, or whatever. But milking is annoying and a pain and a lot of dwarves like cheese so it works well?

I just like having a designated cheeselord.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mygna posted:

Wow, my latest dwarven home-civ is pretty progressive. Despite only containing seven hundred goblins to over seven thousand dwarves, it's ruled by a 125 year old goblin queen.

I'm kind of surprised that the goblin outpost liaison I was visited by didn't cause any problems, but if this fortress ever becomes the mountain home, I fully expect things to break.

Then some dwarf ultranationalist starts going "Down with the 10%!"

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
I always seem to be overrun by baddies before I have a functioning military, no matter how much I try to be-line for it. Necromancer hordes spiralling out of control are particularly annoying, and I have no idea how to fight them. Should I start with coal/ore and immediately forge a set of equipment from the start?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

ProfessorCurly posted:

I always seem to be overrun by baddies before I have a functioning military, no matter how much I try to be-line for it. Necromancer hordes spiralling out of control are particularly annoying, and I have no idea how to fight them. Should I start with coal/ore and immediately forge a set of equipment from the start?

I haven't played the new version yet but...

Walls, moats, traps, and disposing of bodies properly = dwarf fortress easy mode.

First step of safety should be to channel out a moat surrounding the entrance to your fort. Be sure to remove the ramps up and build a bridge.

Second step is to set up traps around said bridge.

Third step is to construct walls.

Disposing of bodies properly, unless this has changed you should be able to dump bodies in magma and then set up an engraved slab in their honor. Or if you want to have even more fun, build catacombs and wall off coffins after they're filled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nudipedalia posted:

Does "Take one unit of all the cheap meats/fish and cook them into roasts to free up the barrels" not work anymore or something? that gets you a unit of food and a barrel for 2 points total. so basically on embark point = 1 barrel.