Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

I thought that only let you jump at range 8 and nothing in between? Lancers blow anyway, iirc you can't get a CT estimate of when they were going to land in the PS1 version.

Nah, the level 8 jumps let you jump up to 8 panels away/height and everything in between, making all the lesser jump moves totally worthless (except as a way to give you range while you grind JP).

And no, the game wouldn't tell you when Jump would land ahead of time. You had to do *shudder* mental math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
A nice rule of thumb is that if you have equal speed to the enemy, you can jump on targets that have <50 CT when you start the jump. If you're faster than them you can give it a bit of leeway higher.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Jump has a CT tick speed equal to twice your Speed stat. So if your speeds are equal, in the time it takes for their CT to tick 50 more points your Jump command can tick to 100.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Doesn't Ozma not drop Dark Matter unless you don't have one in your inventory (i.e., used it in the battle)?

It's just in non-guaranteed drop slots, nothing else fancy about it. "Not available unless it's not in your inventory" says Promist Ring to me more than anything.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Majorian posted:

Okay, here's a question for some of y'all: I'm playing FFIV: After Years again, for God only knows what reason. I think I am just bored at work, but I also probably have some self-destructive tendencies mixed in there. My question is, does anybody know if there's a way to get guaranteed drops in the iOS version? I know that there are ways to game the random number generator (RNG) in the Wii version, but I don't know if those tricks work on the iOS version as well. Anybody know? (my apologies if this has been answered already)

From what I understand, they axed the static RNG from every version of the game that came after the Wiiware one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So this is a thing: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197338-final-fantasy-ix/faqs/41181

It's a guide that was written very recently, for doing a "perfect" game. That involves: getting every single missable chest and pickup, AND getting enough of every missable item for everyone to equip one if they can, AND doing all missable sidequests (including the super long one that was discovered only recently), AND maxing out stats, AND doing all this in less than 12 hours in order to get Excalibur II. And apparently you don't even need to skip cutscenes. Just reading through it is boggling my mind. My mind is thoroughly boggled.

I... I think I'm going to try it.

e: holy poo poo why would i ever do this jesus christ

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 18, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well to be fair, a decent bit of it falls under the category of "leave yourself able to do it once you're no longer subject to the 12 hour time limit". For example, you don't actually max your stats so much as avoid getting experience in the first place, so you're free to level up with the best equipment at the end of the game.

It's something that's been on my radar waffling between "this would be neat to try" and "this would be a loving pain in the rear end".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well yeah everything up to Excalibur II looks pretty reasonable. But after that, the poo poo listed in there for a "perfect" game is just insane. 9999 games of Hot & Cold at each of three locations? That would take over 20 days of straight playing to do.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
No offence, but "perfect" FF playthroughs are for people who seem obsessive and autistic even to other obsessive autistic people. The amount of insanely detailed stuff in any given one is just mindblowing. Take this FF7 guide for instance:

code:
Level 0   - beat the game

Level 1   - Level 0 requirements
          - purchase the Costa del Sol villa
          - earn all limit breaks
          - get Yuffie and Vincent

Level 2   - Level 1 requirements
          - beat Ultimate/Emerald/Ruby weapons

Level 3   - Level 4 requirements
          - Full set of chocobos (see notes)
          - Chocobo Sage tells you everything
          - Everyone's Grudge does 9999 damage to each character

Level 4   - Level 2 requirements
          - at least one of each materia mastered
          - all characters at level 99

Level 5   - Level 3 requirements
          - at least one of each item/weapon/armor/accessory
          - complete all sidequests

Level 6   - Level 5 requirements
          - at least eight of each armor/accessory, unless the max is less
            than eight (thanks to nephalim for this suggestion)
          - max stats for each character

Level 7   - Level 6 requirements
          - maximum amount of items/weapons/armor/accessories

Level 8   - Level 7 requirements
          - max gil
          - max experience for each character

Level 9   - Level 8 requirements
          - complete set of materia

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Final Fantasy Type-0 fan translation received a cease and desist, although I'm not sure what the point is since it's already been released.

quote:

I sent SE a cease and desist letter for FF XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, but they didn't respond

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fan translation was pushed out quick because someone must have told him about the localisation being announced at E3, and he probably had rumblings from a source that they were preparing to send this too.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yeah, wasn't their original release date going to be August? SE probably had it ready to send but the fan translation guys beat them to it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fister Roboto posted:

AND doing all missable sidequests (including the super long one that was discovered only recently)

What's this now?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

What's this now?

There's a house (I THINK in lindblum) where more/different NPCs show up every time you go back after beating bosses in Memoria. It has a ton of steps so you basically have to go back after nearly every boss. The reward is pretty underwhelming, too... I think it's just a protect ring.

Either way, I've thought about doing an Excalibur 2 run but I don't really want to hook a system just for that. It also sounds like a huge pain. Stat maxing is a little much for me, especially in such an easy game. The closest I got was in FF3 where I grinded everyone up to 9999/9999 hp but I did that with autobattle on the psp while watching TV.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Silver Striker posted:

There's a house (I THINK in lindblum) where more/different NPCs show up every time you go back after beating bosses in Memoria. It has a ton of steps so you basically have to go back after nearly every boss. The reward is pretty underwhelming, too... I think it's just a protect ring.

The 'house' in question is the Tantalus troupe's lodging, and the NPCs are the Benero/Genero/etc dudes who help out with the plays.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

The Final Fantasy Type-0 fan translation received a cease and desist, although I'm not sure what the point is since it's already been released.

Hahah I like his response. But seriously, the cease and desist letter is pointless.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Well yeah everything up to Excalibur II looks pretty reasonable. But after that, the poo poo listed in there for a "perfect" game is just insane. 9999 games of Hot & Cold at each of three locations? That would take over 20 days of straight playing to do.

When I go for 100%-ish stuff, I'm cool with anything I could justify for the sake of practicality.

- As many reliably-obtainable copies of an equippable item as I could conceivably want to use concurrently? Sure. I'll even accept the stretch of "plus one to sit in the inventory".
- All pickups? Makes sense.
- All spells/skills/power-ups? For sure. (Possible exception for bullshit like Rydia's enemy-drop summons in FF4.)

But then we start getting into stretch cases like...

- Max stats? Depends on the grind involved. FF6 or FF9 wouldn't be all that terrible on that front, while FF8 would be pretty godawful, for example.
- Max possible quantity of some random consumable I'd never actually use? Depends on if it's pretty easy to get.
- As many copies of an equippable item as I could conceivably want, but they come from rare drops? Ehhhhhh... maaaaaaaaaybe? How rare are we talking here?
- Pretty number for the sake of pretty number in some statistics list or other that not even an NPC will care about? gently caress the hell off.

So if I were going to do that, I'd ignore the whole thing about, say, Hot and Cold statistics or jump rope statistics. While I'll definitely keep in mind the theoretical extremes, I consider things like that to be more in the vein of "here are things you can consider including in your personal 100% definition". But ultimately I'm the one who decides what lengths I consider worthwhile and what's just loving ridiculous, for my own playthrough.

... Admittedly, most of the time this boils down to "beat the game, complete all the sidequests, get some pretty high-end gear, and learn all the skills" and I give zero fucks about inventory or whatnot. Particularly in games where rare drops are involved.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I just remembered I've yet to play through FFX/2 HD. How much would a reasonable 100% run take me? (Killing all optional bosses, etc) I'm down for a good chunk of time, but I don't want to stare into the maw of madness. I'd also be using a guide for X-2, for the aforementioned reason.

Also, for an Excalibur II run (since I'm feeling particularly masochistic), can you skip the cutscenes on a PS3? Or a vita? I assume you can on an emulator, because if PS3/Vita are a no go I'm not going to dig up my PS1 or 2 hope that they still work.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What the guy said above, but for X-2.

I have never played X-2 before, and it seems like trying to go for 100% on a first playthrough will suck the fun out of the game. There's nothing wrong with a casual playthrough, then picking up the rest of the percentages on a NG+ is there? (assuming it even has NG+)

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

They can go gently caress themselves forever for not releasing Type-O on the game-starved PS Vita and THEN pulling this poo poo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Volt Catfish posted:

What the guy said above, but for X-2.

I have never played X-2 before, and it seems like trying to go for 100% on a first playthrough will suck the fun out of the game. There's nothing wrong with a casual playthrough, then picking up the rest of the percentages on a NG+ is there? (assuming it even has NG+)

It has a NG+ and there is nothing wrong with a casual playthrough. Although missing a dressphere can be a bummer.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

I just remembered I've yet to play through FFX/2 HD. How much would a reasonable 100% run take me? (Killing all optional bosses, etc) I'm down for a good chunk of time, but I don't want to stare into the maw of madness. I'd also be using a guide for X-2, for the aforementioned reason.

I got all the trophies in both games and the amount of time it took to complete the sphere grid/monster arena stuff in X is crazy. I reached the point where you can go fight the final boss in like 55 hours but I had 90 something hours on my file by the time I got all the trophies. X-2 took something like 70 plus 10-15 for Last Mission.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Thanks. That sounds like a relatively reasonable amount, provided the monster arena stuff isn't too tedious (I heard something about having to capture 10 of each type of monster? That sounds pretty bleh). I guess I'll just get started and shoot for 100% as long as it's fun. I've never played X-2 either, but my friends rave about the battle system.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Monster capturing aside, every RPG should feature a battle arena with optional challenging bosses. It's one of my favorite things in these games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I cannot fathom the mindset of a person who considers those "levels" of 100%-ing a game. What kind of person has the time to kill on that sort of thing? Why would a person possibly do it anyway? Does it cause genuine glee or just the kind of mild satisfaction that a person with obsessive tendencies gets from filling up a stamp book?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zero Star posted:

No offence, but "perfect" FF playthroughs are for people who seem obsessive and autistic even to other obsessive autistic people. The amount of insanely detailed stuff in any given one is just mindblowing. Take this FF7 guide for instance:

code:
Level 7   - Level 6 requirements
          - maximum amount of items/weapons/armor/accessories

Level 8   - Level 7 requirements
          - max gil
          - max experience for each character

Level 9   - Level 8 requirements
          - complete set of materia

Nobody said these guys were smart about having a method or anything, but a complete set of materia is a hell of a lot easier to amass than max XP or max gil considering gil counts out to like nine places :v:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I cannot fathom the mindset of a person who considers those "levels" of 100%-ing a game. What kind of person has the time to kill on that sort of thing? Why would a person possibly do it anyway? Does it cause genuine glee or just the kind of mild satisfaction that a person with obsessive tendencies gets from filling up a stamp book?

I plink away at what I consider 100% runs on games sometimes. I really don't spend much time working on them, because whoa tedium. But yeah, it pretty much gives me a sense of satisfaction, especially if the game actually has a percentage counter.

Granted, I do actually have OCD, and have real compulsions that relate to when I'm playing games (have to save a certain amount of times, recheck equipment over and over, etc.). So, there is that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The White Dragon posted:

Nobody said these guys were smart about having a method or anything, but a complete set of materia is a hell of a lot easier to amass than max XP or max gil considering gil counts out to like nine places :v:

I think they mean a complete set of Mastered Materia. :gonk:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regalingualius posted:

I think they mean a complete set of Mastered Materia. :gonk:

While it seems daunting, it isn't that difficult to get a complete set of master materia. The only real time-consuming part of it is mastering Full-Cure, Ultima, Contain, Mime, KotR, and Bahamut Zero, and even then most of that can be done in a single Weapon battle with a 3x growth weapon :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

The 'house' in question is the Tantalus troupe's lodging, and the NPCs are the Benero/Genero/etc dudes who help out with the plays.

It's notable because this sidequest was only discovered like a year ago or something. In a nearly 15 year old game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mak0rz posted:

While it seems daunting, it isn't that difficult to get a complete set of master materia. The only real time-consuming part of it is mastering Full-Cure, Ultima, Contain, Mime, KotR, and Bahamut Zero, and even then most of that can be done in a single Weapon battle with a 3x growth weapon :v:

See, but it already had this level:
Level 4 - Level 2 requirements

So mastering one of each materia is the "easy" part. I don't know what "complete set of materia" means unless they mean fill every single materia space you have with mastered materia, but how do you know what materia is allowed for a "perfect" set? Is there room for mastering 8 of every type of materia? I doubt it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's notable because this sidequest was only discovered like a year ago or something. In a nearly 15 year old game.

It's straight up listed in the Ultimania guide, though. Yeah, it's weird that no one ever made mention of it in the English stuff for nearly 15 years but it's not a super-new thing or whatever.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AnotherGamer posted:

From what I understand, they axed the static RNG from every version of the game that came after the Wiiware one.

Son of a bitch...and no sirens in the game, of course.

As I'm playing through TAY again, I'm realizing that part of what I dislike most about this game is that they did a lot of things RIGHT with it, and STILL managed to gently caress most of it up in the most needless ways possible. I like the broad beats of the Kain storyline. I like that, even though Edward is still useless in battle, his personality is at least improved (and so is his outfit!). I like that you can play as Golbez, and I'm not disappointed with how he performs in battle. I like a lot of the new characters, particularly Ursula, Leonora, and even grown-up Luca.

But all that said, you've got the unforgivably awful final act of the game, the painfully stupid looking last boss, and the fact that 90% of the locations are retreads from FFIV, with repeat enemies and bosses. It's kind of bizarre to me that they made so many mistakes that were this painfully obvious. It makes me think of a movie script that started out good before the studios put way too many writers to rewrite it. And then after all the time and money they spent on that, they didn't have any time or budget left for new areas to explore.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

See, but it already had this level:
Level 4 - Level 2 requirements

So mastering one of each materia is the "easy" part. I don't know what "complete set of materia" means unless they mean fill every single materia space you have with mastered materia, but how do you know what materia is allowed for a "perfect" set? Is there room for mastering 8 of every type of materia? I doubt it.

I looked it up because not understanding their curious levels of 100% was bugging me.

Basically, it's an arbitrary selection of mastered materia with the goal being max out your inventory. That means 280 total pieces of mastered materia: 200 in your inventory (max limit) and 80 on your inactive characters (8 slot weapon and armor combo). Here are a few of the recommendations in your quest for a complete set:
code:
Ultima              4
Contain             3
Transform           3
Added Cut           9
Added Effect        9
Elemental           12
Morph               4
Counter Attack      15
Phoenix             3
Alexander           3
Sounds fun, right?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

For some reason I just remembered I never finished my recent FF6 run. Got a decent ways into the final dungeon and then quit. I think I got stuck and couldn't figure out how to get passed even after consulting a few guides. I really should finish it up as FF6 one of my favorites in the series. Come to think of it, I never finished my recent FF8 run either. Man, I've got a lot of FF in my future.

BloodWulfe posted:

Sounds fun, right?
:stare: No, no it does not.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

For some reason I just remembered I never finished my recent FF6 run. Got a decent ways into the final dungeon and then quit. I think I got stuck and couldn't figure out how to get passed even after consulting a few guides. I really should finish it up as FF6 one of my favorites in the series. Come to think of it, I never finished my recent FF8 run either. Man, I've got a lot of FF in my future.

Where did you get stuck, if you remember? I am all-knowing about FFVI, because I played it repeatedly instead of having friends in 4th grade.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I wanna say it was just after killing the big robot guy (the Guardian? I don't really remember) and then stepping on a switch. After planting my rear end on that switch I swapped to my other two parties and I checked pretty much every inch of the tower and found no new openings. It's possible my copy is bugged or I may have missed something obvious :shrug:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

I wanna say it was just after killing the big robot guy (the Guardian? I don't really remember) and then stepping on a switch. After planting my rear end on that switch I swapped to my other two parties and I checked pretty much every inch of the tower and found no new openings. It's possible my copy is bugged or I may have missed something obvious :shrug:

I'll bet there was a switch you weren't standing on at the right time. Before you killed the Guardian, did you run straight backwards (with the same party) and step on the switch that opened the doors for the other two parties?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Probably not. I'll give that a shot when I get home, thanks!

This has been bugging me off and on for a few months now so this'll be a load off my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

Probably not. I'll give that a shot when I get home, thanks!

This has been bugging me off and on for a few months now so this'll be a load off my mind.

No prob, that part can be tedious. Here's everything you need to do in that whole area. This is from memory, so apologies if I get something out of order. Party 1, 2, and 3 are designated in the order you selected them at the beginning of the final dungeon:

-Party 1 and 3 are standing on the switches beneath the giant weights that you'll eventually have to push over, and the big door above the center aisle is open.
-Party 2 runs through the big door, steps on a switch in the next room, and turns either left or right, depending on your preference. (left is Doom/Fiend, right is Goddess) Party 2 goes down through the door of the side you've chosen and pushes the weight down, once you've moved Party 1 or Party 3. Party 2 then runs back and stands on the switch at the top of their aisle.
-Party 1 or 3 runs up the stairs, chooses the opposite direction from Party 2, pushes the weight down, and runs back to their aisle's switch.
-The remaining party runs up the stairs and stands on the third (central) switch. That should change the topography of the room a bit. This last party can then go down, through the new upper door, step on the switch outside, and cause a new door to appear on each side of the room. You can do this before or after you've beaten the Guardian. After all of that, the party that just beat the Guardian walks further up the tower until they run into Poltergeist/Demon, reach a save point, fall down a hole, and find a final switch to stand on.
-The other two parties should still be a couple rooms back, standing on switches. They can now go through the newly-created doors that will lead eventually to Doom/Fiend and Goddess. After they're dead, both parties can go into the next room and stand on their respective final switches, leading to the last boss.

Hope that's at least marginally clear! If it isn't, sorry about that - check a Let's Play video.:)