Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think it's fairly intentional that Allison is a literal Social Justice Warrior. She's a hosed-up teenager, not Superman -- her moral compass isn't perfect, she gets angry and does stupid poo poo, and she doesn't even know what's right any more, which makes doing right very difficult.

That said, if you have super strength and you want people to identify somebody for you, holding him up so everyone can see him seems pretty reasonable to me. I think she was just picking the guy up and the whole "I have super-strength and am holding a regular person in the air by his neck" thing didn't register. Because, y'know, she was mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
No, she wasn't mad, she was chill. What made her mad was more that her friends got bothered about how she handled it. If she was like, 10 years old maybe that would make sense but realistically if she casually assaulted people like that and she was ever mistaken (i.e. Miles actually turned out to be Drunk Girl's husband and was not a Total Douchebag (TM), because Allison was absolutely guessing) more than once or twice then I'm pretty sure this comic is actually The Boys and not Superman a la Tumblr. If she's that dumb then she'd occasionally pinch off the wrong dude's head.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Absolutely guessing? She didn't just see a guy leaving with a drunk girl and assault him. She questioned him, and he totally failed.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Flesh Forge is inching further and further into Not All Men territory, and it's getting kind of obnoxious.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Flesh Forge posted:

No, she wasn't mad, she was chill. What made her mad was more that her friends got bothered about how she handled it. If she was like, 10 years old maybe that would make sense but realistically if she casually assaulted people like that and she was ever mistaken (i.e. Miles actually turned out to be Drunk Girl's husband and was not a Total Douchebag (TM), because Allison was absolutely guessing) more than once or twice then I'm pretty sure this comic is actually The Boys and not Superman a la Tumblr. If she's that dumb then she'd occasionally pinch off the wrong dude's head.

Dude, she asked him if he knew her, then he 1) claimed to be her friend and 2) didn't know her name. She was working on a strong hunch at first but she absolutely was not guessing by the time she had him by the shirt collar.

I'm kinda surprised that so much of the thread has been comprised about people getting pissed off that the flawed and impulsive protagonist acts in ways that are flawed and impulsive. Remember the time she was a teenager and cheerfully threw a giant robot into a hospital, killing a whole bunch of people? This isn't really a shocking character trait; her basic characterization is that she's a good person and wants to do good things but has problems solving problems in ways that don't involve physical force because talking things out tends not to work and force is so easy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Flesh Forge is inching further and further into Not All Men territory, and it's getting kind of obnoxious.

Wow, haha go gently caress yourself.

Wittgen posted:

Absolutely guessing? She didn't just see a guy leaving with a drunk girl and assault him. She questioned him, and he totally failed.

Oops, sorry, she did ask him literally one question which he seems not to have answered to her satisfaction and thus full on physical assault is totally justified I guess. What the gently caress.

e:

Alopex posted:

I'm kinda surprised that so much of the thread has been comprised about people getting pissed off that the flawed and impulsive protagonist acts in ways that are flawed and impulsive.

Yeah see her actions at the party are not impulsive, shown not to be flawed, and she's even chill! My problem with this scene is not that she beat up a dude, it's that if you or I (or anybody) were in this situation then physical force would be the absolute last resort, and not the first item on the agenda. Pretend for a minute the guy is not a Date Raper but maybe he's going off to rob a bank or manipulate some stock trades or some other villainous thing that isn't Date Raping. Is it still the correct first response to grab him and hold him up in the air by his windpipe?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 18, 2014

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Flesh Forge posted:

Oops, sorry, she did ask him literally one question which he seems not to have answered to her satisfaction and thus full on physical assault is totally justified I guess. What the gently caress.

No she didn't literally ask only one question, but you really don't seem too concerned with what happened in the comic and are on some weird "Won't someone think of the date-rapists!" crusade.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Pretend for a minute the guy is not a Date Raper but maybe he's going off to rob a bank or manipulate some stock trades or some other villainous thing that isn't Date Raping. Is it still the correct first response to grab him and hold him up in the air by his windpipe?

Is it seriously this hard for you guys to talk about this topic without getting lovely and personal about it? Wow jesus christ.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
turns out that kinda poo poo is pretty personal for some people, tho?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Her first response was to investigate and question the guy which, if you paid attention to the comic, you should have seen!

You keep making it out like she coldly and calmly walked up to the guy without word or provocation and started choking him out, but that's not what happened.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

Is it seriously this hard for you guys to talk about this topic without getting lovely and personal about it? Wow jesus christ.

You're not arguing in good faith. In fact, you're arguing to try and make this as easily misinterpreted as possible. Take your own advice and chill out, maybe take a break from this thread, comic, whatever. If you want to see a comic about the Zen Buddha, I don't think SFP is for you. It's about a profoundly flawed person whose first impulse is to act just like a comic book superhero, trying to make positive social change in a comix world. Allison probably has quite the journey of selfdiscovery to go on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Apparently positive social change begins with choking people! Okay yeah I don't care to be dogpiled for not liking a scene in a webcomic so maybe this thread is not for me. Hugs and kittens dudes!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Your response to the scene was really disproportionate to what actually happened, so yeah, it's kind of easy to see why people are getting a vibe off your arguments you didn't intend.

I have a hard time believing the response to Allison's use of force would be nearly this severe if she were a male superhero. We already saw Miles grow visibly aggressive after his vague and logically inconsistent responses failed to satisfy Allison's query. And she only took physical action when he started to get confrontational. And she left him for the most part physically unharmed, which is better than he would've gotten had he gotten that aggressive at a bar.

Just so we're clear, over the past pages we saw someone unironically cast aspersions towards people who disagreed with them that their arguments weren't borne from reason or values but rather a vindictive urge to say "gently caress those date rapers." And with it, the implicit suggestion that vindictiveness towards those who commit sexual violence is wrong and that we should be ashamed of feeling that way. On top of that, the same person unironically, if indirectly, compared a webcomic character to Hitler for the heinous crime of nonlethally subduing an aggressive alleged date rapist.

And that posted wanted anyone who disagrees with them to feel ashamed for not being as morally upright as they were.

Sorry if you were offended by me thinking you were a troll, Flesh Forge, but holy poo poo how are you not a troll

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 18, 2014

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

Apparently positive social change begins with choking people! Okay yeah I don't care to be dogpiled for not liking a scene in a webcomic so maybe this thread is not for me. Hugs and kittens dudes!

rotinaj posted:

a profoundly flawed person whose first impulse is to act just like a comic book superhero

Almost as if they're trying to further make the point that superheroics are the easy way to do things, but aren't a realistic way to solves problems. ...Nah, that can't be it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Flesh Forge posted:

Alison lifted the dude by his shirt collar, which ranks pretty low on the scale of 'violent acts' in the first place (especially when you take superpowers out of the equation), at which point the comic spent a full four pages (which is a very long time in terms of comic real-estate!) analyzing whether or not her use of force was justified or necessary, a question they basically answered with "it's not that simple." I'm not sure why the message you're getting out of that is "violence is the answer" but you're missing the point by a wide margin.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Since this argument has now come up a few times, I actually engaged in a little bit of poop-touching and just flat out asked Brennan Lee Mulligan what he intended with that scene. He was kind enough to respond. To summarize his response using two quotes from it:

quote:

The appropriate use of force is one of the central, overarching themes of SFP in total, not just the current chapter, and it is definitely one of the main things Alison wrestles with, given her superpowers!

quote:

As much of a cop-out as it sounds like, I as a writer try and avoid persuasion or “intending” the reader to come to a given conclusion... Writing loses all credibility and meaningfulness when it becomes propaganda, EVEN propaganda for a good cause or a point of view I hold deeply.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Opposing Farce posted:

Alison lifted the dude by his shirt collar, which ranks pretty low on the scale of 'violent acts' in the first place (especially when you take superpowers out of the equation).

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-20-3/

Take a look at the page again her hand is around his throat,and above his shirt and his face is turning red. It could be embarrassment/anger, but it could also be that she's cutting off the blood flow to his head. I think it fits for her to go a little to far. Allison has little to no experience solving "normal" crimes and this is what she thinks is an appropriate way to interrogate a source. I don't know what kind of training or oversight she had when she was working for the government, but she is a violent person who likes solving problems with violence, so it's not surprising if she uses more force then is strictly necessary.

quote:

As much of a cop-out as it sounds like, I as a writer try and avoid persuasion or “intending” the reader to come to a given conclusion... Writing loses all credibility and meaningfulness when it becomes propaganda, EVEN propaganda for a good cause or a point of view I hold deeply.

This definitely seems like a cop-out, there's a lot of space between writing to persuade and propaganda

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Take a look at the page again her hand is around his throat,and above his shirt and his face is turning red. It could be embarrassment/anger, but it could also be that she's cutting off the blood flow to his head. I think it fits for her to go a little to far. Allison has little to no experience solving "normal" crimes and this is what she thinks is an appropriate way to interrogate a source. I don't know what kind of training or oversight she had when she was working for the government, but she is a violent person who likes solving problems with violence, so it's not surprising if she uses more force then is strictly necessary.

Honestly I'd be more surprised if Allison's tendency to use force weren't addressed and discussed in the rest of the chapter.

Is it appropriate? Probably not. She's not a monster, but she ain't exactly a saint. A lot worse could've happened if Allison hadn't shown what restraint she did, but a lot of people agree she didn't show enough. I'm not particularly perturbed though. If Allison weren't superhuman and didn't have the ability to shut the situation down in an instant, it could've gone poorly for her. Miles didn't seem the type to react calmly or reasonably when caught, even setting aside his willingness to take advantage of someone's intoxication as a replacement for consent. But she did have the ability to shut him down, quickly, and without injuring him. Gave him the fright of his life, though.

(All that aside, what kind of idiot gets aggressive with Mega-Girl? She breaks poo poo constantly without even trying, super-accuracy is not one of her anomalies.)

I do think it's very telling that nobody really noticed or cared that she casually used a not-insignificant amount of life-threatening superstrength to interrogate a man whose only power seems to be "is a man and also a rat," but she manhandles a probable rapist and it's a mild controversy that she would stoop so low as to mete out Tumblr justice.

Runa fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 18, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Patrick Spens posted:

Fair enough. I misremembered the panel and didn't look closely enough when I went to look it up. Still, I maintain that the party scene and the especially the scene right after are pretty clearly meant to underline a lot of moral ambiguity, and Flesh Forge is taking the exact wrong thing away from it if he thinks "violence is the answer and everyone but Alison is wrong" was the intended message.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 18, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Christ, how are we having this argument again? I know for a fact some of you were posting during the first go-around, and you surely can't have forgotten:

ChairMaster posted:

Eh, I disagree. If you're stronger than anyone else in the world there's no reason not to use that strength to make things better and scare lovely people.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Was lifting him by the neck necessary? Probably not, no. Is it a particularly big deal? Nah, gently caress 'im.

ChairMaster posted:

She just picked him up by his neck, big deal.

thatbastardken posted:

Not saying that she doesn't have issues with enjoying violence, but this was an appropriate use of force.

Phylodox posted:

gently caress people who want to defend date rapists. gently caress people who want to stop and talk about it and maybe discuss how there are two sides to every story, man.

Phylodox posted:

Seriously, I'm kind of taken aback at the lengths to which people are going to inject "shades of grey" into this.

Guy's a lovely rapist. He got off with a sore throat. He's so loving lucky.

Several people completely miss the point of the panel. Several posters in this very thread have done exactly what Flesh Forge complained about, and absorbed the message that the violence was perfectly justified. Flesh Forge is an idiot, in that he can't seem to understand the basic concept that the audience can sometimes take away a message that is not what the author intended. But he still had... some semblance of a point, that a good number of posters in this thread found Alison's actions perfectly acceptable, and did not glean the tiniest bit of the nuance the author was intending to interject into the scene.

The hilarious part is that FF is also misreading authorial intent, and decided to keep arguing that point after literally being told from the author what the intent was. So that got a good laugh out of me. :v:

Also, in regards to the Rat thing, yeah she did use too much force there as well. But nobody commented on it because the thread was started about two chapters after that whole thing happened, and the Miles situation is what was happening during the first few pages. Plus there's only been a handful of new pages since, so not a whole lot of discussion fodder to move the conversation forward.

One thing I think people keep missing, in various ways, is that creating media is not just a one-and-done. Media is, at the very least, a three-pronged approach. An author has an idea they want to convey, generally with some kind of a point or message. They produce work that encapsulates the message they want to send. (Encoding) And then, most importantly, the audience takes their work, and tries to glean a message from it. (Decoding) At any point in the entire affair, spanners can and do get gummed up in the works. The author may not have a clear message they're trying to send. (Probably not the case here) In the creation of the work, the message the author is trying to send might get muddled, or confused. Or the work might have other issues unrelated to the message being encoded. (This is what I was talking about when I was complaining about how two-dimensional and hamfisted the "bad guys" in this chapter are.) And then the audience will decode the work in their own individual ways. No matter how clear the message, no matter how well-done the media, there will always be some people that flat-out don't get it. That take away a point completely different than what the author intended. Sometimes, this is the author's fault, in this case I think it's almost certainly completely on the viewer end, but no matter the reason the fact is that the message which was intended to be sent did not transmit.

When this happens, you can try to rework your... work, so that it becomes more clearly understood. Or you can try to talk it out with people and explain what they're misunderstanding. But by and large, the most effective method is to ignore the idiots. If a majority of people aren't picking up what you're putting down, you need to take another look at your content. But if a small minority refuses to get your message, and refutes all attempts at explanation, chalk it up as an unavoidable loss and move on. Otherwise you're just feeding the drat trolls. Obviously this lecture is meant for the creator of a work, but it seems like a bit of advice some people in this thread might want to consider taking as well.

And, to actually move the conversation forward here, I am actually creeped out a little by how closely I can connect with Brad here. I'm basically in that exact situation now, where I've had to quit a work enviroment in which most everyone has been trying so hard to keep all the pieces together. It really, really sucks to work alongside people, befriend them, share in their struggles... and one day just say "Enough, it's not working, I can't do this anymore." Of course, I imagine it's a bit harder when you have a bat-face and your coworkers are superheroes, but still! Everything I was complaining about weeks ago with feeling disconnected from the comic has utterly evaporated in the last two pages, because holy poo poo I empathize with Brad so much.

Seriously, if they show a scene where Pintsize tries to passive-aggressively guilt Brad into not leaving, I'll be convinced that the author is spying on me. :tinfoil:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 18, 2014

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Opposing Farce posted:

Fair enough. I misremembered the panel and didn't look closely enough when I went to look it up. Still, I maintain that the party scene and the especially the scene right after are pretty clearly meant to underline a lot of moral ambiguity, and Flesh Forge is taking the exact wrong thing away from it if he thinks "violence is the answer and everyone but Alison is wrong" was the intended message.

I agree that the scene was meant to be ambiguous, Alison was right to step in, I don't even feel the issue is with the fact she was choking Miles, but that ultimately whatever action she took there, whether a firm grip on the shoulder, or simply blocking him from leaving comes with the fact that she is Mega-girl and this isn't going to happen by virtue of implied violence. You can see this in the response from the other party goers, they see Miles having a drunken hookup, not Miles is going to assault a woman who cannot consent; this is a societal issue that as Mega-girl she can't solve. Which is one of the major themes of the comic, Mega-girl can prevent crime on the individual level, but can't enact change on the society issues that lead to crime in the first place, so now she is exploring what she can do as Alison Greene.

IVS, is also showing this, their vengeance won't prevent future rapes, and from the scene of the victim watching the news on TV hasn't done anything to resolve the trauma.

Batman can't save Gotham, Bruce Wayne can enact change.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 18, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

When this happens, you can try to rework your... work, so that it becomes more clearly understood. Or you can try to talk it out with people and explain what they're misunderstanding. But by and large, the most effective method is to ignore the idiots. If a majority of people aren't picking up what you're putting down, you need to take another look at your content. But if a small minority refuses to get your message, and refutes all attempts at explanation, chalk it up as an unavoidable loss and move on. Otherwise you're just feeding the drat trolls. Obviously this lecture is meant for the creator of a work, but it seems like a bit of advice some people in this thread might want to consider taking as well.

That's fair. It's easy to forget sometimes that it's just not worth it getting into a pissing match on the internet.

As far as Rat goes, even when it was current, nobody really noticed it or paid it much mind and the comic certainly didn't dwell on Allison's casual use of excessive force. Here, the comic did spend a fair amount of time pointing out Allison's excessive use of force, even if it also highlighted some of the basic hypocrisies of rape culture in the process of it.

In that incident, an apparently harmless mook is kicked high up into the air and trapped in a trash can, and even Allison's attempt to give him breathing/speaking holes was at serious risk of killing him if she pushed her fingers a little too far in. There were no bystanders to react with horror, so we didn't have any frame of reference to judge this except by what we already knew. She was a "superhero," he was a "mook," and he also had unfortunate visual signifiers that would indicate that he's an "acceptable" target (being distinctly ratlike).

If the comic itself didn't draw attention to Allison's actions at the party, how many of us would have noticed? This clearly demonstrates authorial intent to address Allison's use of force. The author could very easily have ignored it like in the Rat interrogation scene. And Allison's hardline stubbornness the morning after is clearly presented as a flaw and an unwillingness to reason, not as proof of her righteousness.

I won't admit that seeing Miles get held up wasn't cathartic, however.

Yak of Wrath posted:

I agree that the scene was meant to be ambiguous, Alison was right to step in, I don't even feel the issue is with the fact she was choking Miles, but that ultimately whatever action she took there, whether a firm grip on the shoulder, or simply blocking him from leaving comes with the fact that she is Mega-girl and this isn't going to happen by virtue of implied violence. You can see this in the response from the other party goers, they see Miles having a drunken hookup, not Miles is going to assault a woman who cannot consent; this is a societal issue that as Mega-girl she can't solve. Which is one of the major themes of the comic, Mega-girl can prevent crime on the individual level, but can't enact change on the society issues that lead to crime in the first place, so now she is exploring what she can do as Alison Greene.

IVS, is also showing this, their vengeance won't prevent future rapes, and from the scene of the victim watching the news on TV hasn't done anything to resolve the trauma.

Batman can't save Gotham, Bruce Wayne can enact change.

The partygoers' reaction, and more importantly lack of reaction prior to Allison taking action, did feel like the bigger issue that Allison tried to address. She wasn't speaking from smugness when she asked if they could see Daphne now, that was cold indignation. Ironically, her use of violence drew more attention to her actions and not the real issue, that all of them were willing and able to let Miles get away with taking advantage of a girl they didn't know, all because they did know him.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm looking at Moonshadow right after most of the super villains were dealt with...

and current Moonshadow

I believe the last two years have lead to some change in the character's outlook.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

We already saw Miles grow visibly aggressive after his vague and logically inconsistent responses failed to satisfy Allison's query. And she only took physical action when he started to get confrontational.

This, and later on Miles yelling about Allison being a monster, took me right out of the scene. Who would act this aggressively to someone everyone knows is basically in invincible superwoman? Like, I honestly cannot tell if that was meant to add some moral ambiguity or whatever that Allison used an amount of force that tells everyone in the room that she could kill them and there's nothing anyone can do, or that he just talks back to her because he's a bad rape-man and calls her a monster because she's a good guy and that's what bad men do or whatever.

I'm not asking that rapists are written with sympathy or empathy or whatever, it's more that what would have felt like a natural and believable scene suddenly isn't because Allison is there and people talk like she could just kick 'em of the roof like it's no thing but don't act like it? It just made the entire scene feel fabricated and took me out of it is what I am saying.

Anyway my money is still on Paladin being the mystery vigilante, but Allison will initially suspect Moonshadow only to have her accuse Allison of having a holier-than-thou attitude or something.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

a cartoon duck posted:

This, and later on Miles yelling about Allison being a monster, took me right out of the scene. Who would act this aggressively to someone everyone knows is basically in invincible superwoman? Like, I honestly cannot tell if that was meant to add some moral ambiguity or whatever that Allison used an amount of force that tells everyone in the room that she could kill them and there's nothing anyone can do, or that he just talks back to her because he's a bad rape-man and calls her a monster because she's a good guy and that's what bad men do or whatever.

I'm not asking that rapists are written with sympathy or empathy or whatever, it's more that what would have felt like a natural and believable scene suddenly isn't because Allison is there and people talk like she could just kick 'em of the roof like it's no thing but don't act like it? It just made the entire scene feel fabricated and took me out of it is what I am saying.

Anyway my money is still on Paladin being the mystery vigilante, but Allison will initially suspect Moonshadow only to have her accuse Allison of having a holier-than-thou attitude or something.
But Allison doesn't look threatening. If she was in costume, carrying a gun, or otherwise embodying the trademark symbols of danger, I doubt Miles would pushed his luck. Even after she's just picked him up like a toy, she still doesn't code as 'nightmare' to anyone in the same way knife-hands McCancer does. She looks like a thin college student of the sort no one pays much attention to.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Maybe before she lifted him up by his throat, sure, but afterwards they ask her not to kill him, Miles mentions the hospital incident and calls her a monster, Violet accuses her of having PTSD and all that. Everyone talks about how her gesture was basically hella-threatening to non-biodynamic people, but they act like she just peppersprayed the guy.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think they still really have no idea how dangerous she is. They act like it was a party fowl, like she punched him in the neck or something a normal person could do. Only one of the bystanders seems to realize how effortlessly Allison could wreck their poo poo. Miles is just a fratboy with injured pride, talking big without realizing how much trouble he's in. He - and larger society in general in this world - has not truly connected 'near-massacre on the news' with 'tiny blonde student.' When he has time to think about this later, he is going to poo poo his pants.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Then why call her a monster and talk about how she threatened to murder the hospital protesters when he's not suggesting that she could murder them all in a heartbeat? If they just see her as a college student who's a bit strong why not call her an overreacting bitch instead?

I assume most of us didn't go to college with someone who lifted a car and then threatened to kill a bunch of people, all on live tv, just to then act like she's a slightly odd weirdo who is a bit too political about stuff maybe. I just kinda get the feeling the writer wants to have his cake and eat it too.

VVV He recognised her as the person from the hospital incident. Hell, that fact alone makes this whole thing even dumber. The more I think about the scene the less I like it.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 18, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Squidster posted:

But Allison doesn't look threatening. If she was in costume, carrying a gun, or otherwise embodying the trademark symbols of danger, I doubt Miles would pushed his luck. Even after she's just picked him up like a toy, she still doesn't code as 'nightmare' to anyone in the same way knife-hands McCancer does. She looks like a thin college student of the sort no one pays much attention to.

Also, don't forget that Alison arrived to the superhero theme party she was specifically invited to by leaping onto the roof like a boss. Everyone watched. Some even took pictures. Maybe this dude has some severe mental retardation or short-term memory loss, but at one point he definitely knew that she was extremely biodynamic, even if he wasn't aware she was Mega-Girl.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, don't forget that Alison arrived to the superhero theme party she was specifically invited to by leaping onto the roof like a boss. Everyone watched. Some even took pictures. Maybe this dude has some severe mental retardation or short-term memory loss, but at one point he definitely knew that she was extremely biodynamic, even if he wasn't aware she was Mega-Girl.
Shoot, you're right, I had forgotten she mega-jumped her way in there in a splashy way.

I still maintain that there is a common mental disconnect between how dangerous she is and how society perceives her. Allison's talked about it with Feral and Cleaver - how because they look scary, they get treated worse despite Allison easily outshining them both in threat.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Captain Bravo posted:

Christ, how are we having this argument again? I know for a fact some of you were posting during the first go-around, and you surely can't have forgotten:

Several people completely miss the point of the panel. Several posters in this very thread have done exactly what Flesh Forge complained about, and absorbed the message that the violence was perfectly justified. Flesh Forge is an idiot, in that he can't seem to understand the basic concept that the audience can sometimes take away a message that is not what the author intended. But he still had... some semblance of a point, that a good number of posters in this thread found Alison's actions perfectly acceptable, and did not glean the tiniest bit of the nuance the author was intending to interject into the scene.

The hilarious part is that FF is also misreading authorial intent, and decided to keep arguing that point after literally being told from the author what the intent was. So that got a good laugh out of me. :v:

Also, in regards to the Rat thing, yeah she did use too much force there as well. But nobody commented on it because the thread was started about two chapters after that whole thing happened, and the Miles situation is what was happening during the first few pages. Plus there's only been a handful of new pages since, so not a whole lot of discussion fodder to move the conversation forward.

One thing I think people keep missing, in various ways, is that creating media is not just a one-and-done. Media is, at the very least, a three-pronged approach. An author has an idea they want to convey, generally with some kind of a point or message. They produce work that encapsulates the message they want to send. (Encoding) And then, most importantly, the audience takes their work, and tries to glean a message from it. (Decoding) At any point in the entire affair, spanners can and do get gummed up in the works. The author may not have a clear message they're trying to send. (Probably not the case here) In the creation of the work, the message the author is trying to send might get muddled, or confused. Or the work might have other issues unrelated to the message being encoded. (This is what I was talking about when I was complaining about how two-dimensional and hamfisted the "bad guys" in this chapter are.) And then the audience will decode the work in their own individual ways. No matter how clear the message, no matter how well-done the media, there will always be some people that flat-out don't get it. That take away a point completely different than what the author intended. Sometimes, this is the author's fault, in this case I think it's almost certainly completely on the viewer end, but no matter the reason the fact is that the message which was intended to be sent did not transmit.

I was going to do a response to the arguments here, but really, just read this post by Captain Bravo

a cartoon duck posted:

eh, that was fairly realistic. Ever watch anyone get into it with cops? Doesn't matter how much they can annihilate every aspect of your life, people will scream at them because they don't like being made to feel so powerless and small. Which is another layer to this scene.

a cartoon duck posted:

Maybe before she lifted him up by his throat, sure, but afterwards they ask her not to kill him, Miles mentions the hospital incident and calls her a monster, Violet accuses her of having PTSD and all that. Everyone talks about how her gesture was basically hella-threatening to non-biodynamic people, but they act like she just peppersprayed the guy.
I figure it either has to be they are downplaying it because they are terrified (rightly so) or because they don't appreciate how dangerous she is. Hell, people in this thread don't see what she did as incredibly dangerous, and it was. Even cops are trained not to grab people by the throat like that (its excessive force charges waiting to happen) because of how easy it is to do severe damage to someone like that. Now add in that Alison literally shreds tanks with her bare hands, she trashes infrastructure on accident, and just trying to leave Carver away she ends up trashing the school and park. She applied a level of force so high that there really isn't a metaphor for it in a dangerous way on a hunch in a situation she knew nothing about.

Captain Bravo posted:

Squidster posted:

Shoot, you're right, I had forgotten she mega-jumped her way in there in a splashy way.

I still maintain that there is a common mental disconnect between how dangerous she is and how society perceives her. Allison's talked about it with Feral and Cleaver - how because they look scary, they get treated worse despite Allison easily outshining them both in threat.

I checked the arrival page, he's not there when she shows; I'd expect he was off (I don't know the right verbage here, isolating? finding?) the drunk girl at the time and has no idea who he is talking to.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 18, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I can say from personal experience that sufficiently dense guys will absolutely not emotionally register a woman, even an armed one, as being a proper threat. Whether that would apply to someone as blatantly powerful as Allison is unknown, but it's definitely a thing that happens.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alison is most famous as a superhero. She was invited to the costume party. Everyone trusts - well, trusted - her not to hurt people. I'm sure that guy knew who she was, he just didn't think she would actually hurt him, so he wasn't afraid to get aggressive with her.

The moment it became apparent that she'd be willing to hurt him, the tables were turned, and suddenly she's a monster that's too dangerous to be around. The guy and probably his friends were likely seeing it as making sense with the mentioned scene at the hospital, that she's turning into a dangerous lunatic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Small Frozen Thing posted:

turns out that kinda poo poo is pretty personal for some people, tho?

Authors included a trigger warning for that reason http://monstertag.tumblr.com/post/81358742522/this-upcoming-chapter-of-strong-female-protagonist

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

It's because no one on the roof besides Allison thought anything wrong. They probably heard about the hospital incident, but how much of the details do they know? Protesters, firebomb, Allison freaking out at the protesters. They probably figure it's either none of their business or hey, Allison goes to our school and is a friend of a friend, she probably had a good reason to freak out at those protesters.

When Allison confronts the crowd with the fact that there is something wrong AND that hey might be partly responsible in the situation they instead make excuses for Miles/brush off her behavior: Miles is a friend of a friend/Allison has PTSD or something, rather than face their own possible culpability in the situation.

It's the same psychology at play when people don't worry about something until it directly affects them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Alison is most famous as a superhero. She was invited to the costume party. Everyone trusts - well, trusted - her not to hurt people. I'm sure that guy knew who she was, he just didn't think she would actually hurt him, so he wasn't afraid to get aggressive with her.

The moment it became apparent that she'd be willing to hurt him, the tables were turned, and suddenly she's a monster that's too dangerous to be around. The guy and probably his friends were likely seeing it as making sense with the mentioned scene at the hospital, that she's turning into a dangerous lunatic.

Also a valid read, and I won't be surprised if public perception of her changing is part of the long story arc, but I will point out that knowing of a famous person doesn't mean you recognize them when you encounter them .

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Fried Chicken posted:

I checked the arrival page, he's not there when she shows; I'd expect he was off (I don't know the right verbage here, isolating? finding?) the drunk girl at the time and has no idea who he is talking to.

The drunk girl is one of the people taking a picture of Alison. You're right, though, he's not explicitly drawn into the scene, so maybe he somehow missed the biggest event of the party?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

considering shes gone on record that her favorite thing to do is punch things hard enough to kill people and that her version of losing her temper is to threaten to murder a crowd of people, thats not a wholly inaccurate opinion

also, haha alison is a dick to her teammates' living situations

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

The drunk girl is one of the people taking a picture of Alison. You're right, though, he's not explicitly drawn into the scene, so maybe he somehow missed the biggest event of the party?

poo poo, I didn't think to look for her. Maybe he was somewhere else or maybe he is that loving dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

It could be that he was just off-screen for Alison's intro. I'd expect a New York apartment roof to be larger than what is shown in this page so I think the more likely answer is what Fried Chicken suggested.

• Locked thread