Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

sativa dreams posted:

I'm not in college anymore so beer and food is not a handsome reward for using up an entire weekend day unfortunately.

Then don't go, but don't call on your friends when you need that kind of help. It's that simple.

I'm hoping to move fairly soon, and I'm probably going to ask friends to help. poo poo, as soon as I make it known I'm moving, people will volunteer. They're all out of college, too :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
I once had my work pay for movers to move some stuff two hours drive away. They managed to lose the bottom half of my bed and then proceeded to not tell me and thus not deliver all my other stuff while they looked for it (a few days). When I finally rang up and asked where my stuff was they advised me while delivering it that they lost half my bed. So yer, movers suck.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

This is relevant to this thread's interest:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2010/12/07/Down-and-Out-on-250000-a-Year

Just... I don't know where to start.

Folly
May 26, 2010
Cross country movers are a scam. I wouldn't use one unless I had an employer paying for it as part of a relocation package. If I had no choice, I'd just go into the arrangement assuming I was going to be suing them when it was over. Good local movers are, as said above, worth their weight in gold. The problem is finding them.

I think I used my last favor-from-friends move loading into my current house. If I move again, I'm going to have to pay somebody.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Folly posted:

Cross country movers are a scam. I wouldn't use one unless I had an employer paying for it as part of a relocation package. If I had no choice, I'd just go into the arrangement assuming I was going to be suing them when it was over. Good local movers are, as said above, worth their weight in gold. The problem is finding them.

I think I used my last favor-from-friends move loading into my current house. If I move again, I'm going to have to pay somebody.

I'm not sure what other option you have to move cross-country besides owning(or renting?) your own truck, or getting new furniture. I didn't want to hire them, but my new company was willing to pay for movers, but was not willing to pay for new furniture.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jeffrey posted:

I'm not sure what other option you have to move cross-country besides owning(or renting?) your own truck, or getting new furniture. I didn't want to hire them, but my new company was willing to pay for movers, but was not willing to pay for new furniture.

You could get friends to help you load up a U-Haul, and pay guys to help you unload. That way the schedule is set and you at least know stuff is packed safely.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nail Rat posted:

You could get friends to help you load up a U-Haul, and pay guys to help you unload. That way the schedule is set and you at least know stuff is packed safely.

Yeah those are separate parts, they bill separately for loading the truck and doing the move. The case for paying them to pack and load the truck is much worse. (I did end up paying for them to pack up my poo poo since it was really short notice for me to rally friends on a weekday, but it was reimbursed anyway. The only things broken were some computer chair wheels.)

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
My long distance moves have been me renting a Penske truck, hiring loaders at one place, and unloaders at the other, and I just drive the truck myself. I'm doing this in a few more weeks, driving a Penske truck to Florida, towing my car. Not thrilled about towing my car, but no other option.

One of the moving companies 'Mango Moving' that I researched in FL (I found them on Craigslist and they had pretty good prices on their website). It was too good to be true, glad it wasn't me. But they burned a lady really bad who was trying to save a few bucks. I've booked unloaders in FL with a reputable company now. It's not worth the risk of saving a few bucks through Craigslist.

The lady's experience:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mango-Moving-Christopher-Kuhnast/Tampa-Florida-33584/Mango-Moving-Christopher-Kuhnast-Load-Unload-Experts-Reliable-Moving-Mango-Moving-Labor-1139268 posted:

If I can save even one person from being taken advantage of, it is worth the time it takes me to write this.... I am very VERY busy, but I surely do not want anyone else to be taken advantage of like I was.

I am a single woman who is very nice, gentle, trusting and honest. I needed help loading a moving truck that I rented myself. I am in tears. Just distraught. These movers took advantage of me like you wouldn't believe. They lied- threatened me - stole from me. They went on a shopping spree in my house. The owner is a CONVICTED thief and birds of a feather flock together.

I just got to Texas and finished unpacking. They stole so many things from me. Nothing was left behind accidentally. My neighbors and I walked through for a last check. These movers knew I was moving to Texas and robbed me blind knowing it would be difficult for me to press charges from out of state.

They intentionally STOLE two brand new bikes, a big tub of stuff I had for natural disasters for my family (Non electrical supplies, crank radio, flashlights, water filters and liquid purifier - a bunch of stuff! Even israeli issued gas masks for my family, potassium tablets, etc. Not a conspiracy nut but I do believe in expect the unexpected and being prepared. That was for MY family protection and took me years to build up, *curses*) a jewelry box with all of my jewelry - thankfully I had my good stuff locked in my trunk in a suitcase, but still. It was a large collection of costume jewelry sets that I gathered for years.

Also a large bag of tools my ex husband had given me, my own personal hand truck for moving (I made SURE I said don't forget that is MY truck, I need it at the other end), several 1200 gram bath sheets and towels I paid $50.00 EACH for – they left me a couple like I wouldn’t notice the others missing. THANKS. A 5 lbs box of miracle gro, the portrait lamp to light the huge wall art they busted, an expensive cutting/ pizza board. And more. Seriously, they just went SHOPPING in my house like they were walking through Crate and Barrel on a free shopping spree!!

All three of those movers had to know what the others were doing. They were in on it together, as large items were stolen too. Basically took whatever they wanted, and I was STUPID and did not think I needed to watch every move they were making. Being a single lady, I was trying to clean and last minute pack as they loaded.....I just blindly trusted them..... and I feel so foolish.

I provided them with moving blankets for my expensive furniture, and ask them to wrap it. I did not bicker on the price or try to rush them. Take your time, the most important thing is please pack everything carefully and don't damage it. A Crown Mark Dining Table is destroyed. Several of the chairs have chunks out of them. They threw wrought iron barstools, metal art and wall hangings, etc right on top of it without even attempting to wrap it at all. 6 high end dining chairs just thrown in there like they were lawn chairs. Same with a high end bedroom. The dresser mirror survived, but they beat up most of my furniture really badly. I worked really hard to pay for nice things, so I take care of them. Nothing has EVER been handed to me, nor have I STOLEN any of it (ahem). I worked hard and I SAVED my money so I could have nice things that last.

A very large wall size and expensive Moulin Rouge piece of art that I have had for years that came out of my marital home as a gift for my wedding to my sons' father - DESTROYED - glass busted and cut the print beyond repair in several places. Again, I specifically provided wrap –a sleeping bag and several large cushions along with duct tape for this piece, tons of pillows and cushioning for them to use - and let them know how important and sentimental this was to me. They assured me they would carefully wrap and load it. They did not wrap it AT ALL! Just leaned it against the side and other things crashed into it on the drive. No cushions that I provided wedged between it - nothing. The glass from this cut a big slash in my expensive leather sofa. Right on the arm. No way to repair it. So many things that I had are destroyed or stolen.

At the end of the move, one of the workers said you owe for 2 extra hours above what you paid in advance, so I said fine, no problem, Thank you so much for helping me - I HUGGED THEM!!! - and handed them cash. I TIPPED THEM TOO! As I got ready to leave, the 'OWNER', showed up like he was a mafia member, looking real mean and threatening - blocked my moving truck and demanded I pay him $100.00 for two extra hours!!! I said I did pay the extra already. The worker denied me giving him the money, looking me right in my face after as nice as I had been to them through the whole move. He said real mean you aren't going anywhere until you pay me money.

It was midnight, I was looking at a 13 plus hour drive, I was exhausted, so - flabbergasted as I was at the LIAR not to mention the thug attitude (he could have called like a professional if there was a problem, even if the guy was lying to him and he believed it!) I said fine this is too much drama and $100.00 ends it and I can be on my way. Sometimes you must lose the battle to win the war. I had a big trip to make. I paid the "OWNER" AGAIN, and left the nightmare behind me (or so I thought).

I should have never pulled out of the drive. I should have refused to pay double and called the police right them and there. But I was SO TIRED. And there were four now turned thug men, plus a woman with several children in tow that showed up with big bad bully owner man- and just ME - so I made a very bad decision to just pay the man so I could get on the road and on my move. If I had only called the police then and there, I would have probably found out how much of my personal stuff they had loaded in their own trucks and vans instead of my moving van. But I didn't. If I had known then what I know now, I would have! $100.00 was the least of it as I found when I got here! And now from Texas, there is not much I can do.

They knew EXACTLY what they were doing. It was not a mistake. These are not good honest people. They're not. There is no honor, no chivalry as men, no respect for me OR my things. I'm not the only one. Search their name here on CL, the BBB and Google all of their personal and company names. These guys are flat out THUGS. I don't think they would have done it to a real man, cause a real man would have whipped their *ahem*. They just saw a chance to take advantage and that is what they did. They saw a pushover.

Please help right this wrong these horrible people did to me. Please do not use them to move. There are honest movers to use. I will not be able to get anything replaced, but I don't want them to be rewarded with business they don't deserve. Pay an extra $50.00 to honest ones. If you don't maybe you will be sorry next. I know moves are expensive - you want to do it as inexpensively as possible, but not with these guys. Their prices are gimmick fixed anyway, and they aren't even that much less expensive. SURE they charge 179.00 for 3 movers – then they carry one lamp at a time each to the truck instead of using the four wheeled dolly to haul several boxes at a time. Please don't reward dishonesty. There was just no sense in this to me. I could not have been nicer. I was a stranger to them. A paying customer. Lord help their enemies....

I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. Not a single bit. I can't stop crying.

The names are in the title. Search and you will see the aliases documented by the police.

They use and post several different names on here, as I found out later from the district attorney. DO NOT use Paypal to pay them - Paypal will not let you dispute a service. I would ask the paypal address just to be sure you aren't booking them under a different name, but don't use it. DO NOT PAY THEM CASH. If I could do it over, I wouldn't pay them a penny in advance. Watch EVERY move they make. There are other posts here on Craigslist that say they are drug addicts and beat up their wives. I believe it. They certainly had no respect for me, my good nature, my trust or decency, whatsoever.

I am so mad at myself for blindly trusting these scheisters.... I knew there were dishonest people in the world, but this was the worst nightmare that I, myself have ever had. I have helped homeless people and in my experience, most people do not take advantage of your trust if you extend it it with kindness, honesty and treat them fairly. These people certainly DID abuse my trust. I am not some kid. I am a 50 year old mother that raised a DECENT young man who is out in the world working and making an honest living. He was raised to honor and respect others, but especially women or those more vulnerable.

All I can say is - You people should be ashamed. I know you are not, but you SHOULD be. If I treated people like this I wouldn't be able to sleep or look a single person in the eye. I'd hang my head to my grave.

JESUS sees that stuff. You got me. I thought you were nice, but you are wolves in sheeps clothing. You really really should be ashamed of yourselves. I bet you are even laughing about how STUPID and nice I was too. All of the things I have read about you now, that I wish I had read earlier? I BELIEVE them every one. I believe you beat your wife, I believe you are drunks and drug addicts - I bet you steal from your own mother. Those poor babies and children you were dragging around at midnight looking at what you were doing out of your truck windows..... SHAME ON YOU! I can only imagine when no one is looking.

I hope the money and things you stole from me will go to taking care of your children, but I know it won't in my heart.

Surely to GOD something very horrible happened to you as a child for you to be these kind of people. I am not wishing it on you, but I am reaching to try and find a reason to make an excuse for you being such awful people with no morals or sense of doing the right thing. I will pray for you. TO GET CAUGHT!

Lowlives and poor excuses for what are supposed to be MEN. They are not men, they are thug animal THIEVES. I will never stop posting this warning. You got me, but I will save as many other unsuspecting people as I possibly can.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

FrozenVent posted:

Ah yes the "I'm not rich because I don't have any money after I spend it all" article that pops up when the rich are facing a 2% marginal tax increase.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FrozenVent posted:

Ahahahaha, their assumptions are straight up hosed. In their calculations they stipulate over $1100 per month on food in addition to $5000 for lunches at work over the year. They assume that both adults in the family are getting a $10 lunch, every. Single. Day. This, in addition to $3000/year for family/holiday gifts, $2400 per year in eating out (which might be reasonable, if it wasn't in addition to a previously stipulated $25/week for takeout), a $700 monthly utility bill, and a $2000 monthly mortgage. Well no loving wonder they're 2 grand in the red at the end of the year.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Not a Children posted:

Ahahahaha, their assumptions are straight up hosed. In their calculations they stipulate over $1100 per month on food in addition to $5000 for lunches at work over the year. They assume that both adults in the family are getting a $10 lunch, every. Single. Day. This, in addition to $3000/year for family/holiday gifts, $2400 per year in eating out (which might be reasonable, if it wasn't in addition to a previously stipulated $25/week for takeout), a $700 monthly utility bill, and a $2000 monthly mortgage. Well no loving wonder they're 2 grand in the red at the end of the year.

Our reactions aren't the normal ones in the middle class though. Most middle class Americans will read that article and nod solemnly and say "thanks Obama"

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

GanjamonII posted:

Helping your friends out is its own reward, or should be, and they will return the favor sometime.

Exactly. I love helping people move; for me, the pay is the sense of community and the good deed, not the food.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Whoever wrote that article really needs a life coach to help them understand how expensive things are supposed to be, apparently. Oh wait then there would be a life coach category.

* $100 per week for a maid
* Parking is somehow never free for these people, despite their $2-$3k per month mortgage
* $3k per year in car insurance
* $600 per month for a single car payment
* $500 per month in gas, implying 3000 miles driven per month
* $1860 per month in food
* $440 per month gas and electric (I live in a 3500 square foot house in Vegas with a pool and I hit $440 like once a year, when the temperature range is 85-118 all month long)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow. That article. Poor people living in $3000 a month homes, having retirement savings, full insurance, and a huge budget for entertainment,health, education, and vacation. And you want me to "Abloo bloo taxes" for them? gently caress you.

FrozenVent posted:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Not a Children posted:

and a $2000 monthly mortgage.

It's a $3,000 monthly mortgage. "Mr and Mrs Jones" took out a $560k loan at 5% on a $700k lovely mcmansion that's too big to clean themselves, and costs a mint to heat/cool because it's built like poo poo.

Looks like they're driving a $30k cars (cheaper than I expected, given everything else). Both SUVs, probably, since they're getting fuel mileage in the teens.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 18, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Droo posted:

* Parking is somehow never free for these people, despite their $2-$3k per month mortgage

They're paying to park one car in a parking ramp downtown every work day. The parking number actually stands out as surprisingly reasonable among the others.

Droo posted:

They probably just used the national average, which would be 2246 miles a month for two drivers.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 18, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As an insurance professional, I can say for auto insurance they are either getting tickets once a year or are driving $50,000 vehicles at all times. That is pretty high for auto and even home insurance.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Not a Children posted:

Facts. My ex recently used one to move all her stuff from Maryland to Texas. Well, unfortunately, she didn't do much research. They told her that it would be there by the time she arrived, in 5 days. Now they're saying it won't be there for another 3 weeks, leaving her with no clothes, no furniture, and no kitchenware until they get there. I'm sure they're also going to tack on some fees when they do get there (storage, unloading, whatever BS) and strong arm her into signing it just to be done with it.

Guaranteed they will hold her stuff as a ransom when they get there - if you're moving into an apartment complex, they'll block the entry to the complex to force your hand. It's unfortunately a common practice.

Also, they like to hire homeless people off the street to do the actual moving. When it happened to me, I said let me go in and get my chequebook, came back out with a fake cheque from an old account all filled out. They would call me about 20 times a day trying to harangue me about my bounced cheque, so I got Mr. Number and blocked them. What are a bunch of shady dudes halfway across the country going to do? Sue me? The company declared bankruptcy about a month later and reformed as a new company (a common practice when these moving companies get sued in small claims), that then went bankrupt about 2 months later and reformed as yet another company.

All in all, I got my poo poo, learned about Mr. Number, and pissed some rear end in a top hat off - a good month!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Guaranteed they will hold her stuff as a ransom when they get there - if you're moving into an apartment complex, they'll block the entry to the complex to force your hand. It's unfortunately a common practice.

Also, they like to hire homeless people off the street to do the actual moving. When it happened to me, I said let me go in and get my chequebook, came back out with a fake cheque from an old account all filled out. They would call me about 20 times a day trying to harangue me about my bounced cheque, so I got Mr. Number and blocked them. What are a bunch of shady dudes halfway across the country going to do? Sue me? The company declared bankruptcy about a month later and reformed as a new company (a common practice when these moving companies get sued in small claims), that then went bankrupt about 2 months later and reformed as yet another company.

All in all, I got my poo poo, learned about Mr. Number, and pissed some rear end in a top hat off - a good month!

Ugh, what a loving racket. The thing that really upsets me is that my ex is a total pushover when it comes to things like that, so I can already see them gouging her when the time comes. Maybe I can coach her up to calling the police if they try to pull any of that bullshit.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Not a Children posted:

It's just a dumbass anti-tax puff piece. I'm certain there's plenty of people out there that spend like these theoretical idiots, but that's all they really are, idiots. They need a tax cut so they can throw away more money on bullshit!

$3k/year investment income for people that are putting away $33k/year into their 401k. Ok.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Droo posted:

Whoever wrote that article really needs a life coach to help them understand how expensive things are supposed to be, apparently. Oh wait then there would be a life coach category.

* $100 per week for a maid
* $3k per year in car insurance
* $600 per month for a single car payment
* $1860 per month in food
* $440 per month gas and electric (I live in a 3500 square foot house in Vegas with a pool and I hit $440 like once a year, when the temperature range is 85-118 all month long)

$1860 for food? These....these are hypothetical people, right? Nobody's really wasting that much food, right? :ohdear:

Seriously, what do you want to bet the author just multiplied her budget by X to guess what rich people spend money on?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
$100-$200 of that is "household supplies", leaving about $1,000/month on groceries, which isn't particularly unreasonable for a family of four (particularly in the higher COLA areas).

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Barry posted:

It's just a dumbass anti-tax puff piece. I'm certain there's plenty of people out there that spend like these theoretical idiots, but that's all they really are, idiots. They need a tax cut so they can throw away more money on bullshit!

$3k/year investment income for people that are putting away $33k/year into their 401k. Ok.

If anything it's convincing me that these people need to pay more in taxes.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Zhentar posted:

They're paying to park one car in a parking ramp downtown every work day. The parking number actually stands out as surprisingly reasonable among the others.

The Naperville one is total bullshit. The only way to spend ~$300/month is to park in the loop. Nobody that lives in Naperville drives to work in the loop. Everyone takes the Metra. Well, I'm sure there are some outliers, but it's gotta be 99.9%+

e: I suppose it's possible that they might carpool, but then there's no way they're racking up as much mileage as claimed. Bleh.

Barry fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 18, 2014

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Those articles are never written about real people and real finances. It is always padded in ways to make them seem poor or richer in order to facilitate spin.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
By SA standards I'm somewhere to the right of Goldwater, but that article is pretty eye rolling. *Three* separate categories for eating at restaurants? (two $10 lunches/workday, $25 takeout/week, and $50/week in "leisure/eating out") $41k in college and retirement savings/year? $23k in child care, "after school activities" ($2000/kid??), and "family trip"? $8k in Gas/year (including taxes calculated separately)?

Let me get out my little violin.

eta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKzAPYow_0E

paperchaseguy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 18, 2014

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Doesn't seem too unreasonable for NYC. Food is really expensive here and it's common for people to out every meal.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Lowness 72 posted:

Doesn't seem too unreasonable for NYC. Food is really expensive here and it's common for people to out every meal.
I lived in NYC and managed to eat on a $500 budget for two. Lots of stuff is super cheap in the markets and delis, especially ethnic foods. Just because it's common for people around you to spend a shitton of money doesn't mean you have to do it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Lowness 72 posted:

Sure, but none of those "budgets" are for NYC.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

paperchaseguy posted:

$23k in child care, "after school activities" ($2000/kid??)

One kid is a toddler, the other is in school. One kid goes to a nice higher end daycare (not one of those places where poor people might go, ugh), and they need to send the school kid to after school activities because both parents are working 45 hours a week with hour long commutes trying to keep up their lifestyle and make sure everyone sees how successful and not poor they are.

The most unrealistic part is where they put money in savings instead of trying to install a pool or something just like their neighbors did.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Zhentar posted:

One kid is a toddler, the other is in school. One kid goes to a nice higher end daycare (not one of those places where poor people might go, ugh), and they need to send the school kid to after school activities because both parents are working 45 hours a week with hour long commutes trying to keep up their lifestyle and make sure everyone sees how successful and not poor they are.

The most unrealistic part is where they put money in savings instead of trying to install a pool or something just like their neighbors did.

Life lesson I learnt after making too much money, it's not how much money you make, it's how much you spend. My parents met a man who was making 300k a year who lost his job having no idea how he was doing to cope now. People get comfortable with their spending and take things for granted (needs vs wants).

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

sativa dreams posted:

I'm not in college anymore so beer and food is not a handsome reward for using up an entire weekend day unfortunately.

I guess I should be more specific in that my pet peeve is that these people say they can't afford movers, and then I watch as we fill up an entire 26' foot uhaul twice over with useless consumer crap as we move into their 3000' sq foot mcmansion.

In that case just learn to say no. "Sorry, I'm busy" and just leave it at that.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
That housing cost/tax fluff article was awesome. Wow...

sativa dreams posted:

Anyways, can we get back to people being bad with money? My pet peeve lately: people who make great money, have tons of useless consumer crap, are able to afford the purchase of a home, and yet still ask their friends and subordinates to help them move. Pay a goddamn mover, you are not in college anymore. I guess that is not so much being bad with money as it is being a cheap mofo though.
Sounds like good with money to me? My folks pay my friends $15/hr to move them. Its worked out perfect the last two times, and they have a lot of things worth a lot of money.. Zero breaks on the last 250mi move, yours truly driving! My folks had horrid experiences with 'professional movers' back in the 80s and have since used private parties. One of my buddies was a professional back in his youth (18-20 or so) and he sees how to stack stuff really logically.

OT, but always use Penske. I've driven a lot of Uhauls and they scare the poo poo out of me. The Penske I drove 250mi's over Christmas break for my folks, it was great. It did have a motor issue, but it didn't go all over the place, unlike EVERY frigging Uhaul I ever drove before! The reps apologize all over the place when they pulled it around the parking lot when we returned it, there was def something wrong with the motor, but the lack of power never scared me, unlike the Uhaul steering slop...

sativa dreams posted:

I guess I should be more specific in that my pet peeve is that these people say they can't afford movers, and then I watch as we fill up an entire 26' foot uhaul twice over with useless consumer crap as we move into their 3000' sq foot mcmansion.
Your bad? You didn't have to agree to move someone who isn't a close friend who does the same for you for free, sounds like YOU are the one who is bad with money here?

Not a Children posted:

Facts. My ex recently used one to move all her stuff from Maryland to Texas. Well, unfortunately, she didn't do much research. They told her that it would be there by the time she arrived, in 5 days. Now they're saying it won't be there for another 3 weeks, leaving her with no clothes, no furniture, and no kitchenware until they get there. I'm sure they're also going to tack on some fees when they do get there (storage, unloading, whatever BS) and strong arm her into signing it just to be done with it. The worst part? Federal law (the Carmack amendment) protects movers who do stuff like this from lawsuits; they're only liable for actual damage to the property. The most she could hope for is to sue for anything not included in the original agreed upon price, which would probably not be worthwhile in the first place. So yeah, there's a lot to be said for recruiting some buddies to throw stuff in a U-haul rather than hiring a moving company.
My downstairs neighbor had this exact issue...

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Wow, this thread is full of goons who love helping people move. I've probably done it a dozen times, and not once has everything been packed up and ready to go when I got to the house or apartment. I don't personally have fun jamming all their dusty computer cables into their hamper and taking their cardboard Ikea crap apart, but they're friends/family and I want to help.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I am the bad one with money, and I'm going to be making a "Help me make a loving budget" thread in a couple weeks. I'm not as bad as a lot of people (no debt whatsoever right now), luckily. I've done 3 trips to Afghanistan to contract: '10, '12, and this year. The first two were for ~18 months each, this time was supposed to be about the same but the contract got pulled. In 2010 I started off making 120k/yr, bumped up to 135k for the last couple months. The ~18 months of the 2012-13 trip I was making 210k pre-tax, so call it around 300k for the whole thing. After the tax exemption I banked quite a bit- probably close to 250, I haven't done the full math on it. And I have NOTHING. No house, no car, no possessions, barely any savings, no higher education, and the employable skills I do have are borderline at best because it's such a different culture. Aside from a couple nice watches and suits the money just disappeared into the ether. I started reading The Millionaire Fastlane recently and it's staggering how spot-on the poor path is for me with the appearance of wealth bullshit.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

cowofwar posted:

Those articles are never written about real people and real finances. It is always padded in ways to make them seem poor or richer in order to facilitate spin.

Are you sure about that? http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2b2msl/18295300_in_debt_no_mortgage_paid_off_5000_last/

200k earner, 182k in debt, stay at home wife who REFUSES STOP ASKING!!! to cut their $230/mo cable because she needs TV to watch her children.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

To be fair, reddit guy's debt is almost entirely from his school loans and he has 5 kids. He's been very reasonable in his responses and has already acknowledged that he'll be reducing his discretionary expenses drastically. So a success story?

The moral of the story to me is that it's very easy to blow up your finances when you're a single (even if it's high) income earner with a family if you don't have a budget.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Here's another one from D&D, this one has specific real life examples - http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2012/02/15/almost-rich/

The dude spending 12k/year on clothes makes me feel better about buying a new suit once in a while, for sure.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

xie posted:

Are you sure about that? http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2b2msl/18295300_in_debt_no_mortgage_paid_off_5000_last/

200k earner, 182k in debt, stay at home wife who REFUSES STOP ASKING!!! to cut their $230/mo cable because she needs TV to watch her children.

Reddit went way overboard on the importance of cutting the cable bill there. Cutting any of his expenses would be a better use of his effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Whoa with that house in Minnesota that was a lemon and stuff..I notice that he keeps having inspectors come out and check his work and OK it with the city.

Why didn't that have to be done before the property was sold, by law?

• Locked thread