Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ProfessorCurly posted:

I always seem to be overrun by baddies before I have a functioning military, no matter how much I try to be-line for it. Necromancer hordes spiralling out of control are particularly annoying, and I have no idea how to fight them. Should I start with coal/ore and immediately forge a set of equipment from the start?

If you can funnel the zombie hordes through a killzone of spiked balls, axe blades and getting hurled into deep pits, you're all set. The main point of pulping is not to be some nebulous extra shortcut to killing something, it's about mangling corpses into a permanently inanimate state.

They're not much help in a real fight, but making shields and training weapons from wood is a great way to get a headstart on the militia training regime before you get your ironworks rolling. They can still whack kobolds, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How well do pits and walls work now that enemies can climb?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

How well do pits and walls work now that enemies can climb?

Make deeper pits.
Fill them with lava.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, presumably, build an overhanging ceiling. Unless they can shimmy across those too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Michaellaneous posted:

Make deeper pits.
Fill them with lava.

Can things climb upside down? Like could you make your pits bigger one z-level down:

code:
--| |--
|     |
-------

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, hooray!

0007063: AI prefer punching and kicking to using weapons, even as weaponmasters

Toady One posted:

Ah, it appears one of my more recent changes to support multiple wields had the unintended side effect of screwing up everything else. Hopefully it'll be better for next time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
And devlog :siren:

Toady One posted:

07/18/2014 Weapon use was very broken, so I fixed up the frequencies there. People will still occasionally do non-weapon attacks based on opportunity, but they won't prefer non-weapon attacks like they did when it was broken. I also made strangulation work more quickly. Animal training should work now -- residual combat data was screwing that up. I fixed an error causing too many saplings to die -- saplings are supposed to die when they try to grow up and are shaded by other trees or otherwise blocked, but they were also dying most of the time in general. I fixed up a few of the bugs that were patched in 34.11 -- the side finder should find flux layers properly now (Quietust) and construction removal jobs should no longer teleport nearby items (ag/Quietust). I probably won't get a chance for a log tomorrow, but the next release shouldn't be too far off either.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dag, he folded in Quietust's thankless bugfixing that he got a handle on by tearing apart the last 2D version with his own scabby hands? Maybe he'll even accept the DFHack-repaired armory behavior one day.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh, that explains why I was having such difficulty getting my dogs trained.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Haha, my migrants this map are arriving a few tiles from the edge of a crater. Two dwarves are slowly climbing in and out of it. One dwarf I'm sure just ran onto the map and dived straight in. :iit:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Therapist as linked by the OP: is that Windows only? I want to play this poo poo on my mac but I'll be damned if I'm going to manage labors the Toady way.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Therapist is updated for linux too - if you're on a Mac, sucks to be you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bummer, that's a change. For a while, Therapist was MOST updated on OS X.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So regarding moods: I have a dwarf that just claimed a mason shop and mutters about needing stone, rough gems, and cloth.

I have tons of stone and rough gems lying around from mining everywhere and several bins full of pigtail cloth but he won't budge. Is it possible that he needs a specific kind of stone, gem, and cloth that I may or may not even have in my entire fort? And if so, I just need to mine randomly hoping that I find the right one? That would seem pretty unreasonable.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So regarding moods: I have a dwarf that just claimed a mason shop and mutters about needing stone, rough gems, and cloth.

I have tons of stone and rough gems lying around from mining everywhere and several bins full of pigtail cloth but he won't budge. Is it possible that he needs a specific kind of stone, gem, and cloth that I may or may not even have in my entire fort? And if so, I just need to mine randomly hoping that I find the right one? That would seem pretty unreasonable.

Do you have any silk cloth? I'm not sure if its changed ever, but plant fiber and silk cloth used to be counted separately for mood purposes.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Try cutting a gem. Alternately check his favorites to see if he likes any particular materials.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

:iit:

I claimed the fortress he was in in the name of Ancientbattle the Artificial Square of Cancer and started murdering everyone who wouldn't accept my invite to be a hearthperson. So far I've killed everyone in the fortress and everyone I've talked to on the street. Adventurer mode was always fun, but now it is even more so now that I can butcher sentient corpses and subsist solely on the hearts of my enemies.

Yes my adventurer is crying, why do you ask?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

PublicOpinion posted:

Do you have any silk cloth? I'm not sure if its changed ever, but plant fiber and silk cloth used to be counted separately for mood purposes.

No silk and no spiders in my cavern to make any.

Flame112 posted:

Try cutting a gem. Alternately check his favorites to see if he likes any particular materials.

It specifically requested rough gems but I can try that. He has a favorite stone and gem but there's pretty much no chance of me finding them randomly.

Edit: Double checked and both his favorite things are found in layers that don't exist in my fort location.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 19, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Try cutting some rock blocks.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

tbh he probably wants wool cloth, I always forget to stock up on that and all sites count as having it available (unlike, say, shells)

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Check the workshop ("t" I think) to see what he already has. Maybe he wants thread instead of cloth.

If you're on DF2012 there's a DFHack command to see what a mood needs, "showmood".

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Apoffys posted:

Check the workshop ("t" I think) to see what he already has. Maybe he wants thread instead of cloth.

If you're on DF2012 there's a DFHack command to see what a mood needs, "showmood".

He ended up going insane even after I got some wool cloth, which he didn't want. He had 2 silver nuggets gathered so far.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

He ended up going insane even after I got some wool cloth, which he didn't want. He had 2 silver nuggets gathered so far.

He was just going to make a lovely Granite scepter with menacing spikes of cat fur.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Unless it's changed since the last version, it's most likely the cloth. Sounds like it's time to wall up that workshop.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I always took it for granted that for big, vertical excavation projects, designating ramps is best. Looking at some archived forts, some people use up/down stairs. Is there any advantage to stairs if you're not using the cave-in method?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Dilkington posted:

I always took it for granted that for big, vertical excavation projects, designating ramps is best. Looking at some archived forts, some people use up/down stairs. Is there any advantage to stairs if you're not using the cave-in method?

Stairs can be free standing, ramps require a solid wall next to them

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Other than that is there any functional difference between stairs and ramps?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Other than that is there any functional difference between stairs and ramps?

Wagons can use ramps, but unless you are trying to kill caravans this isn't going to be useful.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A ramp must be against a wall. On top of that wall must be pathable ground, including more ramps. Stairs, however, can be purely vertical and stacked however high you like.

The only real advantage to ramps is that you only have to designate one end of them and the other turns up automatically. Otherwise it's purely aesthetic.

nudipedalia
May 29, 2008

Zereth posted:

Does "Take one unit of all the cheap meats/fish and cook them into roasts to free up the barrels" not work anymore or something? that gets you a unit of food and a barrel for 2 points total. so basically on embark point = 1 barrel.

It still mostly works, DF just puts all the meats (lung, heart, intestines, liver, tripe etc) from the same creature in the same barrel. It's just that this principle works not only for pots but most other items like furniture too. More importantly, there are almost no circumstances where food is a problem. For about the same 24 embark points you can take a breeding pair of turkeys and a breeding pair of blue peafowl that with nestboxes provide much more food than you can possibly need or take on embark. All food needs immediately after embarking can be served by butchering draft animals.

Of course, if you are planning something interesting, things might vary.

Also

Glory of Arioch posted:

If you are doing some serious :spergin: min-maxing you need to bring a few rocks with you to build fire-safe buildings from so you can smelt your first picks, and not having rocks when you are trying to pierce an aquifer can suck.

If you are doing some serious :spergin: min-maxing, you just bring one piece of copper nugget (native copper): build a wood furnace using the copper nugget, deconstruct wagon, use the three wood logs to make two charcoal and one ash, build a smelter with ash, deconstruct wood furnace getting your copper back, make four copper bars at smelter using one charcoal. Deconstruct the smelter, build a forge with ash and an anvil (every embark needs an anvil. but this is still the weak link if you can possibly trade), make a pickaxe out of copper with the last piece of charcoal.

nudipedalia fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 19, 2014

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I thought I remember reading that stairs can be much more taxing on the pathfinding algorithm versus ramps, but who the hell knows anymore. The only real advantage I've seen with ramps is that you can make a wagon-accessible rampway that dwarves and other creatures can't use, due to "unusable" ramp tiles. That's more of an exploit than an argument for ramps over stairs though.

I like to have a wagon entrance with ramps that goes down 100z levels to the trade depot, and a safer, separate central stair system for dwarves, kobolds, thieves, goblins, keas, etc.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Speaking of stairs and such, is there an advantage to making rooms/halls with ceilings that are more than 1z level high?

Usually when im making the dinning hall I usually dig out 2-3z levels deep because it looks asthetically pleasing, but would that increase the value of the room etc?

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
That's a good question, I don't know if room value is calculated by volume or surface area. I guess you could engrave the walls and see if your room value goes from Great to Legendary?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Rooms can only span 1 z-level, so making taller rooms is purely for the enjoyment of the player.

---

So I did some poking around through Legends mode, few things that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Forgotten Beasts can and will attack dwarven sites, possibly destroying them and making it their new lair.

If you find something like a "Kobold Hamlet", it just means the main population at that site is gone and all that remains is a kobold bandit gang hanging out in the sewers or something. No shopkeeping kobolds today.

Demons only show up thanks to the work of human deities but it still looks like they heavily prefer taking over goblin civilizations.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Well, bugger - having finally gotten to actually trying to use Therapist on linux, Fortress stops updating the screen the moment Therapist connects.
Anyone actually have it working on Linux? I'm having no luck getting anything to spit out logs that might tell me what's going on.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ughhhh posted:

Speaking of stairs and such, is there an advantage to making rooms/halls with ceilings that are more than 1z level high?

Holds more magma

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Other megabeasts will do that too - I've reclaimed a site with a hydra chilling in the basement.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Scratch what I said earlier. Found a dwarven war goddess that decided to bring a demon into the world after he pondered it really well I guess.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Gods are going to get snitty when people keep profaning their temples. It is enough to drive anyone mad and want to unleash a demon or two.

I have to say, I am enjoying the new version and the lack of automatic enemy of site/civilisation when you go around killing people. I was able to go door to door in a human hamlet collecting skulls (That is basically all I know about hamlet) and all the people in the next house knew was "A battle? What is happening?!"

Sadly, I met a goblin gang on the way up the road and they decided to steal my idea and apply it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Pickled Tink posted:

Gods are going to get snitty when people keep profaning their temples. It is enough to drive anyone mad and want to unleash a demon or two.

I have to say, I am enjoying the new version and the lack of automatic enemy of site/civilisation when you go around killing people. I was able to go door to door in a human hamlet collecting skulls (That is basically all I know about hamlet) and all the people in the next house knew was "A battle? What is happening?!"

Sadly, I met a goblin gang on the way up the road and they decided to steal my idea and apply it to me.

That's why you play as a slade colossus and introduce roving goblin gangs to the feeling of being punched by the moon!