Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so when "satya's emails" said "nothing is off the table" they really meant everything is off the table except firing people. windows phone, xbox, surface, that all stays, in fact we are bringing back the zune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

gregday posted:

"right-size"

gently caress off

sorry if you don't call hiring people "wrong sizing"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"plus sizing"

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Welp

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/5911909/microsoft-kills-off-its-nokia-android-phones

Microsoft is planning to scrap its Nokia X Android efforts and replace them with Windows Phone in the future. The news comes as part of today's announcement that Microsoft is cutting 18,000 jobs in the next year. In an email to former Nokia staff, Microsoft devices chief Stephen Elop details the company's renewed focus on Windows Phone. "In addition to the portfolio already planned, we plan to deliver additional lower-cost Lumia devices by shifting select future Nokia X designs and products to Windows Phone devices," says Elop. "We expect to make this shift immediately while continuing to sell and support existing Nokia X products."

microsoft kills jobs

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
the Nokia X project was idiotic and killing it is actually one of the more reasonable things MS has done lately, how in the gently caress was an Android phone with MS services (lol) that couldn't access the store worth anything

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Americans don't want small Windows tablets, says largest PC maker

Lenovo stops selling its two small Windows tablets due to weak demand

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/18/5914867/lenovo-ends-small-windows-tablets-us-due-to-weak-demand

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

the Nokia X project was idiotic and killing it is actually one of the more reasonable things MS has done lately, how in the gently caress was an Android phone with MS services (lol) that couldn't access the store worth anything
Maybe it should have had the store????

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i bet with the Nokia brand they could have made OK phones but were diesel as hell. I hear a lot of people say they wish cell phones were still Nokias when you could drop them down a flight of stairs . probably not a huge market especially since glass is breakable but would not have been the worst idea

eschaton posted:

only at companies that believe in "up or out"

a few great companies believe that if you're really good at what you do, and they need what you do, and you're happy doing it, why not just keep paying you to do it?

True but it works both ways though, i have friends tell me they don't know how i am not miserable doing the same job my entire life and will continue to do for 20+ more years . But i am of the mindset that knowing exactly what i will earn per hour in August of 2028 owns . but some friends think i am nuts. to each their own and i am hopeful everyone will find jobs soon

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All my friends on the east coast live in/around the DC area and are ridiculous job hoppers

having a new job every 8 months to a year or two would drive me insane; nevermind you'll either end up unemployed and unable to get a job when the next downturn comes or you'll end up stuck somewhere you despise for X amount of years unless you want to pack up and move long distance

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasureKevin posted:

i wonder how many aspies who can't adjust to microsofts new structure and lack of pepperoni-only pizza nights will quit as well.

pepperoni-only? :confused:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.theonion.com/articles/potential-employee-uprising-quelled-with-free-pizz,2441/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

True but it works both ways though, i have friends tell me they don't know how i am not miserable doing the same job my entire life and will continue to do for 20+ more years . But i am of the mindset that knowing exactly what i will earn per hour in August of 2028 owns . but some friends think i am nuts. to each their own and i am hopeful everyone will find jobs soon

yeah i'm perfectly fine with working the same job because my field is very flexible just inherently and if i get an mba i can pretty easily make six figures

gonna have to as well because the future waifu just wants to be a housewife (though she is interested in teaching too)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Cardboard Box A posted:

Americans don't want Windows tablets, says largest PC maker

fixed

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

can't, because then it would have to have Google services installed - meaning the main reason (other than price) why people buy an Android phone in the first place

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

yeah i'm perfectly fine with working the same job because my field is very flexible just inherently and if i get an mba i can pretty easily make six figures

gonna have to as well because the future waifu just wants to be a housewife (though she is interested in teaching too)

nice; see if your job does tuition reimbursement; MBAs are one of the few degrees companies will pay 100% for

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there is a non-management career path for engineers, and while it's "doing the same job" you become an expert and spend time making smart, precise improvements and leading the direction of software evolution as your understanding of the problem space evolves. meanwhile the grunt work gets handed to junior developers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Management posted:

there is a non-management career path for engineers, and while it's "doing the same job" you become an expert and spend time making smart, precise improvements and leading the direction of software evolution as your understanding of the problem space evolves. meanwhile the grunt work gets handed to junior developers.

the trick is being able to identify grunt work that should be handed off

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cardboard Box A posted:

Americans don't want small Windows tablets, says largest PC maker

homer tell the nice man which country you come from

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cardboard Box A posted:

Americans don't want ... Windows

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

computer parts posted:

future waifu just wants to be a housewife

lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prefect posted:

the trick is being able to identify grunt work that should be handed off

and then you become... management

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

and then you become... management

way ahead of you

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

im what you call a serial entrepreneur.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wow, mini microsoft comment thread getting way turbo racist

e: check this:

quote:

Also, I want to second the person who mentioned earlier that we were fed a bunch of bullshit about "flattening the hierarchy" and then watched as they laid off nothing but SDET ICs and build engineers. I literally have not heard of a single lead losing their job without all their ICs also being let go. Read that again: We somehow managed to create fewer layers of management without laying off a single manager. Satya is a magician.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 18, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

huh someone here was SDET wonder what she's up to now

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

qirex posted:

Lol

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

qirex posted:

actually i'm pretty glad that the one racist commenter is just getting shouted down by everybody else. warms me heart

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

yeah seems the racism is largely restricted to a few pricks

lol at this

quote:

>Basically a lifeboat exercise with compensation included as a factor.

Bear in mind that he refers to a Microsoft lifeboat, where you worry less about rowing and more about running around currying favor with each of the other people in the boat so they don't toss you overboard.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

also holy poo poo why would you fire a shitton of testers. people who actually are good at and enjoy testing are pretty hard to come by.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Phobeste posted:

also holy poo poo why would you fire a shitton of testers. people who actually are good at and enjoy testing are pretty hard to come by.

startup culture

ship fast, test never

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Phobeste posted:

this is true and why i'll continue to get jobs for years to come.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

raruler posted:

startup culture

ship fast, test never
just let the customers test a continuous open beta

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Phoenixan posted:

a valid dev plan if the goal is to make money

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phoenixan posted:

plz do not post confidential windows 9 roadmaps

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

good thing i didn't move to seattle

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phobeste posted:

testing and qa is a cost center, like it or payroll or hr. does it directly make money for the company? no? then cut it 30%

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Phobeste posted:

dunno, seems like any old sperg can do it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

i mean i'm a tiny baby shithead who's only been working for a year, but what i've observed is:

- good testers aren't made, they seem to be born
- their skill at testing is 0% correlated with testing experience: our most detailed and skilled tester has an art degree and works part time so she can make sculptures
- since people who are good at testing often get underlying mechanics, they tend to get poached by dev

so it all adds up to if you have good testers that stay as testers and do a good job, probably give them raises instead of laying them off! because devs are not testers. they're too emotionally entangled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the official MS plan seems to be that the dev leads and PMs will write test scripts/requirements and do the testing themselves

what could possibly go wrong?

• Locked thread