Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I don't know if you mentioned this already, and I apologize if you did, but what is your plan for when you have the baby?

Things to be thinking about:

1. How long are you going to take off?
a. Will you be using all of your PTO? Will this put you at risk of going unpaid in the future if you get sick?

2. How long is your wife going to take off?
a. What sort of benefits will she get during this time?

3. Will your wife be returning to work?
a. How much are you budgeting for daycare? Can you afford to pay daycare?
b. How much will your cost structure change if your wife stays home?

4. What have you budgeted towards baby expenses?
a. How much are you budgeting for monthly baby expenses?
b. How much will your insurance change when you add another dependent?
c. How much are you expecting to pay out of pocket for the birth (ie Hospital Bills)?

5. Is your emergency fund the same thing as your baby fund?
a. Are you double counting your money again?
i. How much is "baby fund"?
ii. How much is "emergency fund"?
b. Is it realistic for you to pay off your car considering the above?

If you're making 1+ year goals these are definitely the things you should be thinking about. If you've answered/thought about all of this then please just ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I've read your whole thread but I haven't been following it super closely, but your numbers seem delusional to me which is probably why you feel everyone is harping on you. To give you my perspective...

Every time you post you seem to be buying something unnecessary, and using a supposed $2000+ surplus that you have every month to justify it. But your own graphs show that you have not saved anywhere near $2000 per month. You talk about paying your car off in a year, retiring early, having a baby and taking maternity leave, adding daycare costs eventually, vacations, on and on and on. Basically, this all seems impossible to everyone that reads it given the fact that you haven't even saved up a reasonable emergency fund for someone with a baby on the way.

Something is very wrong in the way you analyze your finances, and you should probably figure out where the discrepancy is. If I were you, I would ask myself:

* I don't actually have anywhere near $2000 a month extra due to either less income or more spending than I think there is

* I am not being realistic about both the expense and the loss of income that will occur when a baby comes

* I am not acting in a way that prioritizes the things I claim are priorities (e.g. early retirement over playstation)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You should sell the new car before you cover it in baby poo poo/piss. Nearly new cars sell for nearly new prices these days. You can afford to drive about a $2500 beater. Go pick up a well used minivan.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

n8r posted:

You should sell the new car before you cover it in baby poo poo/piss. Nearly new cars sell for nearly new prices these days. You can afford to drive about a $2500 beater. Go pick up a well used minivan.
This is why they ditched BFC for however long that was, 6mo.. A personal loan for the underwater differences + a [max] ~5k car would have been my route to direct them. You can get a nice, and reliable, 5k car.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Knyteguy posted:

Er I meant in the black monthly, not in a total net manner. Is that better? What I really mean is that we have enough positive cash flow from our incomes that can be utilized to better our financial situation on a monthly basis.

I really need to work on my communication.

I was going to write something but I think I get what you're saying. When you get home lets collectively take a look at your ynab and put everything together on what is going toward savings and where the money is all being directed right now.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Could you post a graph of straight up cash in vs. cash out over the last 6 months? I can't see your bottom line very well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Droo posted:

I've read your whole thread but I haven't been following it super closely, but your numbers seem delusional to me which is probably why you feel everyone is harping on you. To give you my perspective...

Every time you post you seem to be buying something unnecessary, and using a supposed $2000+ surplus that you have every month to justify it. But your own graphs show that you have not saved anywhere near $2000 per month. You talk about paying your car off in a year, retiring early, having a baby and taking maternity leave, adding daycare costs eventually, vacations, on and on and on. Basically, this all seems impossible to everyone that reads it given the fact that you haven't even saved up a reasonable emergency fund for someone with a baby on the way.

Something is very wrong in the way you analyze your finances, and you should probably figure out where the discrepancy is. If I were you, I would ask myself:

* I don't actually have anywhere near $2000 a month extra due to either less income or more spending than I think there is

* I am not being realistic about both the expense and the loss of income that will occur when a baby comes

* I am not acting in a way that prioritizes the things I claim are priorities (e.g. early retirement over playstation)

Welcome to the thread and thanks for the observations. I will consider your points.

n8r posted:

SiGmA_X posted:

This is why they ditched BFC for however long that was, 6mo.. A personal loan for the underwater differences + a [max] ~5k car would have been my route to direct them. You can get a nice, and reliable, 5k car.

I'm totally done with cars for now. Once we hit a meaty positive equity on our current vehicle I'm willing to revisit this point though.

Slow Motion posted:

Could you post a graph of straight up cash in vs. cash out over the last 6 months? I can't see your bottom line very well.

Veskit posted:

I was going to write something but I think I get what you're saying. When you get home lets collectively take a look at your ynab and put everything together on what is going toward savings and where the money is all being directed right now.

OK Veskit just let me know if I should post more than this. I can get a completely detailed breakdown if you think that'd be better:

March 14 - the figures here are correct but the month is incomplete (it says we didn't pay rent in March because we did a YNAB reboot after we had paid rent).

Also of note YNAB only lists expenses in the categories, not savings. Not net savings either. So even though we have $1,000 in the emergency fund, it lists the savings funds as negative (which has been moving fees and a small birthday present).

For a little less detail because I think the above picture is hard to read:

Edit: and Bugamol my wife and I will go over your points. I can't answer all of those myself, and I haven't considered most of them so thanks those are great questions.

Edit 2: it makes me loving sick to my stomach to see we've spent $24,000.00 since March. That truly makes me so disappointed in myself.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 18, 2014

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That's nice to see Knyte but could you also post your july/june budgets on the budget screen and see where you're allocating your money, especially this month. It's easier that way for me anyway.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
If I remember correctly you have no access to any credit right now, correct? If I were you I would see the lack of an emergency fund as an emergency situation and focus on that over the debt. Right now if you lose your job, or get into a car accident, or any other unfortunate event happens, you are completely screwed. You need at least one month's income stored up, preferably more.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The cost of insurance on a new car is a hidden (not so hidden) cost where you are literally lighting money on fire. Put the car up for sale asking $500 more than what you owe for it now and keep lowering the price as you pay it down. This is easily the largest expense you can easily change.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

n8r posted:

The cost of insurance on a new car is a hidden (not so hidden) cost where you are literally lighting money on fire. Put the car up for sale asking $500 more than what you owe for it now and keep lowering the price as you pay it down. This is easily the largest expense you can easily change.

He rolled an existing loan into this loan. He owes $27,000 and the car was only worth $22,000 on the lot. So that's just not going to happen. They've also ignored this advice time and time again.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

That's nice to see Knyte but could you also post your july/june budgets on the budget screen and see where you're allocating your money, especially this month. It's easier that way for me anyway.

Yep will do after work.

in_cahoots posted:

If I remember correctly you have no access to any credit right now, correct? If I were you I would see the lack of an emergency fund as an emergency situation and focus on that over the debt. Right now if you lose your job, or get into a car accident, or any other unfortunate event happens, you are completely screwed. You need at least one month's income stored up, preferably more.

No access to credit correct. Mistakes from when I was 18-23 still hurting me today.

Bugamol posted:

He rolled an existing loan into this loan. He owes $27,000 and the car was only worth $22,000 on the lot. So that's just not going to happen. They've also ignored this advice time and time again.

I don't know if it's fair to say we've ignored the advice, because we just weren't in the position to sell the cars outside of a lot, because we needed a down payment too.

To get around that we sold the cars to a lot and rolled the negative equity into the only car the dealer offered outside of a PT Cruiser, at least at that lot.

edit: As much as I hate to admit it I think the dealership beat me while making me think I won.

It's more like I interpreted the advice incorrectly? Some may call it mental gymnastics or whatever but I don't even like our new car and I miss my truck. We chose it for reliability reasons and to get out from underneath a really expensive loan.

I used to drive these after all :v: (hoo boy I'll post some of my really bad with money stories that blows anything else currently away if/when we manage to pay off our debt; these cars are part of it):

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 18, 2014

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Oh you're spendy. I'm going to keep my discretionary spending under ye'alls. So tighten that belt and help me out.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Slow Motion posted:

Oh you're spendy. I'm going to keep my discretionary spending under ye'alls. So tighten that belt and help me out.

:stare:

Toxx it toxx it toxx it SLOW MOTION TOXX IT NOW. Dump that bucket and Toxx it.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 18, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Slow Motion posted:

Sure dude if you're willing to stick by that then you've got a deal.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

edit: with your budgets, of course.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

edit: with your budgets, of course.

Ugh I don't know why I'm doing this I'm going to regret this:
VS

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

VS

Quoted for prosperity.

IT"S ON SLOW MOTION THROW DOWN THE TOXX.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
BE A BALLER TOXX IT UP SLO MO

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Knyteguy posted:

VS

It all makes sense now...

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Dude, you are not wealthy enough to spend $900/mo on optional expenses.

Not sure how the battle is going to go, neither of you seems to be able to tally up what your discretionary spending actually is in any given month

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
If you have a business, you should separate out business income and expenses because that is kinda important in seeing how well your business is going and whether it's worth it.

Speeding tickets every month? did I miss something along the way here?
okay just a very expensive ticket then, maybe you should consider a bike

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

moana posted:

If you have a business, you should separate out business income and expenses because that is kinda important in seeing how well your business is going and whether it's worth it.

Speeding tickets every month? did I miss something along the way here?
okay just a very expensive ticket then, maybe you should consider a bike

Yep ticket is paid off now though.

I take care of the business side legitimately with Wave. I don't have a second business bank account because it is a hassle to open and I don't do quite enough to bother. I just use it as personal income instead of reinvesting because I'm not in a place to really focus on a business right now beyond some small stuff.

Also would love to bike - I was going to bike to and from work before we decided to move across town. My wife is walking distance from work now though so I don't mind driving. I've really grown up a lot since that ticket.

Generally though business expenses can be expected to be around $38.00 and income $75.00. I've had that going for about a year now so it's pretty steady. Everything else is me maybe trying to launch a new website or something.

slap me silly posted:

Dude, you are not wealthy enough to spend $900/mo on optional expenses.

Not sure how the battle is going to go, neither of you seems to be able to tally up what your discretionary spending actually is in any given month

I know; those figures kinda scare me because I don't even have much from that egregious spending. We bought some cool gear for hiking, walking, and running, but I wish we would've bought some stuff at our used sports store or something instead.

I'll win this battle because Slo Mo doesn't give a gently caress. He should care and I wish he did, but he doesn't. At least not more than a passing moment every so often as far as I can tell, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. I'll consider discretionary the same as my optional expenses + household goods for the purpose of this though. I'm down for a Spartan August though if he really wants to give it a go.

Veskit as promised (I was waiting to see if Slo Mo would toxx):

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

I don't even have much from that egregious spending. We bought some cool gear for hiking, walking, and running, but I wish we would've bought some stuff at our used sports store or something instead.

Yeah this is a killer. It's so easy to hop onto amazon or whatever and spend just a little money on whatever thing, and then realize 6 weeks later than you could've gotten one just as good for a quarter the price and you didn't really need it anyway and bye-bye one hundred dollars... FIGHT IT MAN

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Questions from top of page

Bugamol again I will try to answer these as soon as I can get with my wife - probably tomorrow. There's a lot of thought here I don't want you thinking I'm ignoring these points.

I suggested yesterday we start scoping out day cares though. There's a Montessori one around here but I'd guess we're priced out of that, and there's one only about 2 miles from my work which is reasonable and a good place according to my sister/grandmother.

slap me silly posted:

Yeah this is a killer. It's so easy to hop onto amazon or whatever and spend just a little money on whatever thing, and then realize 6 weeks later than you could've gotten one just as good for a quarter the price and you didn't really need it anyway and bye-bye one hundred dollars... FIGHT IT MAN

Definitely gonna do my best this month. :hfive:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 19, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Dude.. That suit.. omg.. What state are you from? Also, you need to learn to tie a knot...

Moving on, you should open a biz account for the biz. It is no more effort to open a biz bank account than a personal. The one thing I disagree with the rest of the posters on is your car insurance. $76 a month is dirty cheap for full coverage. You have 100/300/100 coverage at least, right?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Dude.. That suit.. omg.. What state are you from? Also, you need to learn to tie a knot...

Moving on, you should open a biz account for the biz. It is no more effort to open a biz bank account than a personal. The one thing I disagree with the rest of the posters on is your car insurance. $76 a month is dirty cheap for full coverage. You have 100/300/100 coverage at least, right?

Well I was 22 when I took that picture - I'm turning 28 in a few weeks time.

To answer your question though I am from Nevada, but I took that picture in Phuket Thailand. I know the knot is terrible it's supposed to be a Windsor knot but I butchered it. I tried to pick one of the more embarrassing ones plus our poses matched well enough :v:.

I almost posted yes to the insurance without looking... but no actually. My wife must have lowered our insurance when we switched vehicles.

But we did have mechanical breakdown insurance, roadside assistance (which Toyota gives us free AND we have AAA), and rental insurance (Toyota also covers if it's under warranty). My wife I'll tell ya.

Anyway I just now upped coverage it to 100/300/100 and got rid of the frivolous insurances, and our bill went down by $20 every 6 months.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I wish you luck, I really do.

That said I think you are being crazy unrealistic about your saving and paying off debt. You have showed zero discipline.

I think you are falling for a trap of thinking/wanting to get out of the debt right now. It is going to be a slog and it is going to take years. Especially with the track record you have going.

Again good luck, I just don't see the discipline to make it happen.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

I wish you luck, I really do.

That said I think you are being crazy unrealistic about your saving and paying off debt. You have showed zero discipline.

I think you are falling for a trap of thinking/wanting to get out of the debt right now. It is going to be a slog and it is going to take years. Especially with the track record you have going.

Again good luck, I just don't see the discipline to make it happen.

Thanks for the well wishes but I respectfully disagree with the rest. Look at the optional expenses category from March to now, we've cut it by 85%.

I'm plenty disciplined when I need to be or when I want to be.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Well I was 22 when I took that picture - I'm turning 28 in a few weeks time.

To answer your question though I am from Nevada, but I took that picture in Phuket Thailand. I know the knot is terrible it's supposed to be a Windsor knot but I butchered it. I tried to pick one of the more embarrassing ones plus our poses matched well enough :v:.
Ok, fair enough. Least it was you being a dumb kid vs SloMo being a *baller*. I didn't even have a full suit @ 22.. Now, I like to suit up - except its too hot these days, I can't wait for fall to hit so I can suit up again! (derail, the wine...)

Knyteguy posted:

I almost posted yes to the insurance without looking... but no actually. My wife must have lowered our insurance when we switched vehicles.

But we did have mechanical breakdown insurance, roadside assistance (which Toyota gives us free AND we have AAA), and rental insurance (Toyota also covers if it's under warranty). My wife I'll tell ya.

Anyway I just now upped coverage it to 100/300/100 and got rid of the frivolous insurances, and our bill went down by $20 every 6 months.
I was in a slow speed accident and suffered a herniated disc - $60k was paid out by the other company in medical bills. High speed with my best friend (drat you CountOfNowhere!) back in 2004, I suffered a fractured vertebrae, and that was pushing near 100k... I'm glad you bumped it up! Make sure you PIP is pretty high, if you guys ever get hurt, it'll help a lot. I pay $11/mo for 50k of PIP - This was massively lower before my last accident settled, drat, didn't notice that change 2mo ago - but my rates still have been continually decreasing though, so its not a big deal. Good on you to bump it up!

I <3 AAA. I don't use it that often, but the peace of mind is fantastic, and I DO use 1-2 tows per year for either me or my close friends, so it easily pays off. Need a tow to the body shop to get some paint work done? AAA. Need a tow home from the body shop after a paint job? AAA. Easy! Do like.

I'm still saying your insurance rates aren't something to write home about. As long as that ALSO includes collision and comprehensive, I don't see an issue. I *DO* see an issue with your frigging new Corolla, but that is water under the bridge... I'd have gone for a sub-10k reliable car and personal loan... But that is not something you can change immediately, from the sounds of your credit situation. Speaking of which, and I imagine this has been hashed out before and I've simply forgotten, have you made sure all old debts of both yours and your wives are paid off? And you always pay your car notes (are they normal notes? Are they on your credit report?) on time or early? I hope so.

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks for the well wishes but I respectfully disagree with the rest. Look at the optional expenses category from March to now, we've cut it by 85%.

Keep it up for the next quarter and BFC won't get on you about it. You can do it, man.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knite i looked over what you had and please come back when you have income and repost your budget. Also explain to us what categories you put in and why. This will help you and us what you are doing in the short term.

By the way, this month seems fine enough, but lets see what happens when new money comes in.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Knyteguy posted:

Like for real what kills me is some people in here say OK Knyteguy let us know if you want to make any big dumb purchases and talk to us about it. I do that and everyone is like holy poo poo you're a big failure dude $50,000 Volkswagon Beetle LOL. I get that some people want financial schadenfreude and all but there's no reason to be a dick about it?

Then people also give me strategies (set a goal to save this amount of money, then you can reward yourself with something small if you want). I try to implement these strategies and I still catch the same crap. I feel like everything is inconsistent which is probably the nature of the beast on forums, but it's kind of confusing.

Edit: and just to clarify: I know the actual reward of saving is having money saved.

You got talked out of the cable (or decided on it yourself, good for you). I did read it as you were getting the 300bux nfl game console thingy instead like right now today. I apologize if i misread it... I did let it go at the time. Like I said, it's 2 or 3 hundreds ain't the end of the world and what is done is done (when I thought you already did it).

It's not schadenfreude with me. You seem like a good guy that is really trying. I'm trying to advise you on mental process and discipline... I did make a joke at myself because I know it's a fine line. You're doing alright man, just trying to keep you on the path.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah... you need to open those nested categories.

Come on, let that dress hit the floor. We'll be gentle.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

I think this month does look way better than last month, but you still have 12 days left! It is concerning to me that you're already maxed out on all of your optional expenses. Just looking at this, I'd say the main areas I think you could improve on is

a) lowering household goods expenses
- talk to us about what these are and why it's so high
b) don't blow your load on discretionary so fast. Go out to delicious hole in the wall restaurants instead of fast food or fancy, most of those give you so much food it should last you an extra day or two anyways!

If you keep this up, then I think it is definitely a marked improvement and you should be just fine. But don't stop posting, don't let it lapse. Post this full screen twice a month (beginning, to also include the end of the previous, and middle so we see ho you've been spending).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyte before I just wanted to help you just to help, but now I also want to help you so you can beat Slow Motion. Please beat him please.

Also I find it hilarious explaining this entire scenario to your pregnant wife if she has only a small concept of SA.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Ok, fair enough. Least it was you being a dumb kid vs SloMo being a *baller*. I didn't even have a full suit @ 22.. Now, I like to suit up - except its too hot these days, I can't wait for fall to hit so I can suit up again! (derail, the wine...)
I was in a slow speed accident and suffered a herniated disc - $60k was paid out by the other company in medical bills. High speed with my best friend (drat you CountOfNowhere!) back in 2004, I suffered a fractured vertebrae, and that was pushing near 100k... I'm glad you bumped it up! Make sure you PIP is pretty high, if you guys ever get hurt, it'll help a lot. I pay $11/mo for 50k of PIP - This was massively lower before my last accident settled, drat, didn't notice that change 2mo ago - but my rates still have been continually decreasing though, so its not a big deal. Good on you to bump it up!

I <3 AAA. I don't use it that often, but the peace of mind is fantastic, and I DO use 1-2 tows per year for either me or my close friends, so it easily pays off. Need a tow to the body shop to get some paint work done? AAA. Need a tow home from the body shop after a paint job? AAA. Easy! Do like.

I'm still saying your insurance rates aren't something to write home about. As long as that ALSO includes collision and comprehensive, I don't see an issue. I *DO* see an issue with your frigging new Corolla, but that is water under the bridge... I'd have gone for a sub-10k reliable car and personal loan... But that is not something you can change immediately, from the sounds of your credit situation. Speaking of which, and I imagine this has been hashed out before and I've simply forgotten, have you made sure all old debts of both yours and your wives are paid off? And you always pay your car notes (are they normal notes? Are they on your credit report?) on time or early? I hope so.
Keep it up for the next quarter and BFC won't get on you about it. You can do it, man.

Hey Sigma. drat yea I would hate to be responsible for a large car injury or something both for for my conscience and financially. My cousin was in a terrible car accident that ended up breaking his back, throwing his pregnant fiance out the window (who lost the child) and nearly killed everyone in the car. It was off the road in a frigid snow storm. I know he got a ton of money... that's a bad with money story for the ages because he's broke again. Crazy how much the medical bills are. A fractured vertebrae that's nuts lucky you're not paralyzed.

I didn't look at our PIP coverage but I'll do that now. The insurance does include comprehensive/collision with $500.00 deductibles all around. We both have a lot of debts from our past but the total dollar value isn't that much besides some medical bills. A $2,000.00 credit card debt finally fell off and that was my biggest one. The rest is probably $1500.00 total or so for me, and maybe $2000.00 for her.

Car notes are traditional and yes we're solid on them. We've never been late (we've been early a couple times). I just keep autopay on and have them pull out automatically the day the bill is due.

I'm determined to make good financial decisions a habit that will be hard to break.

Aristotle Animes posted:

You got talked out of the cable (or decided on it yourself, good for you). I did read it as you were getting the 300bux nfl game console thingy instead like right now today. I apologize if i misread it... I did let it go at the time. Like I said, it's 2 or 3 hundreds ain't the end of the world and what is done is done (when I thought you already did it).

It's not schadenfreude with me. You seem like a good guy that is really trying. I'm trying to advise you on mental process and discipline... I did make a joke at myself because I know it's a fine line. You're doing alright man, just trying to keep you on the path.

Ah yea my message wasn't communicated clearly so it's my fault no worries.

Aristotle Animes posted:

Yeah... you need to open those nested categories.

Come on, let that dress hit the floor. We'll be gentle.
I did :). The stuff I didn't open was to keep it on one page, but there's nothing too interesting in there. (promise)

The month isn't over so the net income for July is incorrect.

Rurutia posted:

I think this month does look way better than last month, but you still have 12 days left! It is concerning to me that you're already maxed out on all of your optional expenses. Just looking at this, I'd say the main areas I think you could improve on is

a) lowering household goods expenses
- talk to us about what these are and why it's so high
b) don't blow your load on discretionary so fast. Go out to delicious hole in the wall restaurants instead of fast food or fancy, most of those give you so much food it should last you an extra day or two anyways!

If you keep this up, then I think it is definitely a marked improvement and you should be just fine. But don't stop posting, don't let it lapse. Post this full screen twice a month (beginning, to also include the end of the previous, and middle so we see ho you've been spending).

We've pretty much been at optional for most of the month minus a couple dollar menu things we got on Thursday at a fast food place. We can make it the rest of the month I'm certain. I went a little crazy at my cousin's birthday and that blew the $67.00 alcohol on the weekend of the fourth. It kind of sucks because I'm stuck in this house this weekend and the next (but at least Destiny for Playstation 3 is in beta so I have something to do).

a) Household goods is generally stuff we'll use for the house (but not always)... so like a microwave, furniture, laundry detergent, dish soap, etc. This month it was furniture. Last month it may have been HDMI cables or something. Last month was high and I can't figure out why, but this month we only bought the couch and chairs kind of on emergency. I'm going to try to keep our household goods at like $25.00 next month and only that high because my wife needs some shower supplies.

b) Agreed we generally eat expensive (even Olive Garden that's not very fancy gets expensive quick). We have a really great hole in the wall restaurant like you said and it's only $15.00 for meals for both of us. That's going to be my birthday dinner in August. I'll try to remember this post before we go out to eat. We've definitely improved here though in July.

Also I'll definitely keep the thread going at least twice a month like you said to ensure the accountability is still there. I'll do like you said and just post the YNAB screenshots.

Veskit posted:

Knyte before I just wanted to help you just to help, but now I also want to help you so you can beat Slow Motion. Please beat him please.

Also I find it hilarious explaining this entire scenario to your pregnant wife if she has only a small concept of SA.

Hah I showed her the versus post with the pictures - she didn't really know what to say.

Quick update: I overbudgeted what we needed to move in since I didn't know the exact value - and we had $60.00 leftover. I was able to start our baby fund ($5.00), and add another $50.00 to the emergency fund. $5.00 went to groceries or something I can't remember. We're at $1055.00 saved right now. It's been months since we've had anything close to that.

If if if we closely watch our spending in August we should be able to have $5,000.00+ saved by September. I did the math using our previous spending with our new goals and unless something comes up (multi hundreds of dollars) then we should be on track for that. Again this is the true test.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I think you are using the household good as a big catch all. A couch probably belongs there, a mop certainly, maybe detergent (I lump that with groceries for ease, no big thing) but your wife's shower supplies are a grooming cost, no? Household goods is the one that sticks out the most and if your wife heads for Aveda or L'Occitane you probably need to reel her in a bit. Hone that category, man. Then you'll better understand where the money is going.

Also, HDMI cables a household good? I dunno. I might consider that entertainment, no? If you spent 40-60 bux on them and called it entertainment it might make you examine those types of purchase a little more. Everyone categorizes differently but it's a bit psychological when you are trying to be frugal. You don't have to do it my way, but can you see where I'm going here? Same with putting bath products in grooming... how much are we spending on our hair, nails and skin?

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 19, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aristotle Animes posted:

I think you are using the household good as a big catch all. A couch probably belongs there, a mop certainly, maybe detergent (I lump that with groceries for ease, no big thing) but your wife's shower supplies are a grooming cost, no? Household goods is the one that sticks out the most and if your wife heads for Aveda or L'Occitane you probably need to reel her in a bit. Hone that category, man. Then you'll better understand where the money is going.

Also, HDMI cables a household good? I dunno. I might consider that entertainment, no? If you spent 40-60 bux on them and called it entertainment it might make you examine those types of purchase a little more. Everyone categorizes differently but it's a bit psychological when you are trying to be frugal. You don't have to do it my way, but can you see where I'm going here? Same with putting bath products in grooming... how much are we spending on our hair, nails and skin?

Er yea it's a little catch all. Clothing and grooming we generally consider stuff that is used outside of the house like clothes, or stuff that is bought outside of the house like haircuts.

I'll look into recategorizing it. I also bought a fishing pole last month that I considered a household good so it's not very consistent. I might just get rid of the category and we can roll our actual household goods into grocery, which I think I'm OK with.

Edit: also shoot man monoprice.com / Amazon for HDMI cables. I got a 25 ft one for something like $7 from Amazon shipped.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Are you sure you have collision? That screenshot you posted doesn't indicate you have it. That'd be very bad in an at fault accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Hey Sigma. drat yea I would hate to be responsible for a large car injury or something both for for my conscience and financially. My cousin was in a terrible car accident that ended up breaking his back, throwing his pregnant fiance out the window (who lost the child) and nearly killed everyone in the car. It was off the road in a frigid snow storm. I know he got a ton of money... that's a bad with money story for the ages because he's broke again. Crazy how much the medical bills are. A fractured vertebrae that's nuts lucky you're not paralyzed.
It was a compression fracture, I didn't leave my seat or anything crazy. We hit the tree at an estimated 45mph, and were traveling at just over 60mph. My buddy escaped with a broken wrist from the steering wheel. I have this obsession with seatbelt wearing - and it has saved my life without a question, perhaps a few times, this being a definite time. Sounds worse than it is, but its a constant source of 'ache' (a lot more, but you kind of get use to it?) without a doubt, and with the herniation from an accident in 2010 means constant mild back pain. You get use to it, I guess. I was on oxy for a while but I didn't like what that was doing to me and my life, so I stopped cold turkey and just *deal with it*. Exercise is a godsend. However, I was bad with money from the settlement back then.. My car was crazy fast for a few years, and then it broke right before I got out of my old line of work (auto tech) because of the herniation.. Now its stock and boring :( Shootin for 500wtq again by 2025 now ;) My car will be 32yrs old by then lol..

Knyteguy posted:

I didn't look at our PIP coverage but I'll do that now. The insurance does include comprehensive/collision with $500.00 deductibles all around. We both have a lot of debts from our past but the total dollar value isn't that much besides some medical bills. A $2,000.00 credit card debt finally fell off and that was my biggest one. The rest is probably $1500.00 total or so for me, and maybe $2000.00 for her.

Car notes are traditional and yes we're solid on them. We've never been late (we've been early a couple times). I just keep autopay on and have them pull out automatically the day the bill is due.

I'm determined to make good financial decisions a habit that will be hard to break.
Gotcha. I was curious due to the retarded high interest on the car, and the fact that you got the notes from the lots vs from your CU.

n8r posted:

Are you sure you have collision? That screenshot you posted doesn't indicate you have it. That'd be very bad in an at fault accident.
I also wondered, I hoped it was on a different screen. You have to have collision legally (or to maintain loan covenants, if not legally) for a car with a loan on it in my state.

Aristotle Animes posted:

This is how we do it. Personal care for grooming, makeup and all related products. Household includes all detergent etc - easier to track. I split it out from Costco trips as I like to see how often we buy it...

Knyte, this is what I use for categories, outside of bills and savings.
code:
Monthly Consumables:Bank Charges & Interest [i](I track all the rewards points in here)[/i]
Monthly Consumables:Charity
Monthly Consumables:Groceries
Monthly Consumables:Groceries:Alcohol
Monthly Consumables:Household (all other)
Monthly Consumables:Household:Kitchen
Monthly Consumables:Household:Toiletries
Monthly Consumables:Laundry
Monthly Consumables:Medical
Monthly Consumables:Personal Care
Monthly Consumables:Pet Care
Monthly Consumables:Therapy
Monthly Consumables:Transportation

Vehicles:BMW 325iS
Vehicles:BMW 528iT
Vehicles:Fuel

Quality of Life:Books
Quality of Life:Dates
Quality of Life:Electronics
Quality of Life:Gifts
Quality of Life:Travel
Quality of Life:Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll

Me:Blow
Me:Clothing - Me
Me:Dining - Me
Me:Education
Me:Parents [i](used for when I buy stuff for my folks and they reimburse me, or visa versa)[/i]
Me:Tools

GF:Blow
GF:Clothing - GF
GF:Dining - GF

• Locked thread