Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Dota is ridiculously complicated, especially if you've never played an rts before. I think the team play aspects of the games are what makes them so popular. I hope that soon we can have a f2p fighting game that works reasonably well online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Arzachel posted:

Dota, LoL and SC are arcane as gently caress though. While being newbie friendly helps, It doesn't seem to be required for a large player base.

arcane and having high levels of entry level complexity are two totally different things

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Dota, LoL and SC are arcane as gently caress though. While being newbie friendly helps, It doesn't seem to be required for a large player base.
I do think that dota communicates itself better though. You have spells, they have cooldown, you level up, which makes you gain more abilities/spells. It uses a language that is very established and people know what it is without ever having played them.
Combos and supers are also part of a, for a lack of a better term, gaming language, that most gamers are familiar with.

Fighting games also have overheads, EX moves, links, crossovers, recovery, unsafe moves, start up etc. It's less about the terms itself and more about what they stand for. And most of those things exclusively happen in fighting games. They aren't part of the vocabulary of most gamers.
So new players will wonder "why did that hit me?!", "why can't I do that?" or "why is he yellow?" and honestly, fighting games do a really lovely job communicating those things, unless you know them.
Yeah, fighting games need better tutorials, but they also have to find a way to communicate those things ingame. A player has to be able to jump in and understand what is happening to him(not 100% feasible I know, but it can be made easier). Especially in fighting games, where you don't have time to set up, to orient yourself and plan ahead.

Dota is super arcane when you get into it, but when someone starts the game up for the very first time, the game communicates things in a language most people are familiar with.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
It takes 5 seconds to look up any of those things, I know because at some point I did. And then I knew.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Doggboat posted:

I do think that dota communicates itself better though. You have spells, they have cooldown, you level up, which makes you gain more abilities/spells. It uses a language that is very established and people know what it is without ever having played them.

Demonstrably false. Tell me one other game where "jungling" is a thing. Dota lingo is every bit as dense and impenetrable as fighting game lingo. Perhaps even moreso, just owing to how MOBA's are comparatively newer as a genre. By now everyone knows what a combo is, surely, but the meaning of "feeding" is probably a little muddier.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah DotA terms can be pretty opaque and there's a lot of stuff in those MOBAs that you won't figure out just by watching some good matches (because you won't understand it.) I'd say SF4 is pretty straight forward, as there are only a handful of things someone might not understand at first, but might figure out just from watching a few sets. The difficulty is more in execution.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Doggboat posted:

Combos and supers are also part of a, for a lack of a better term, gaming language, that most gamers are familiar with.

Fighting games also have overheads, EX moves, links, crossovers, recovery, unsafe moves, start up etc. It's less about the terms itself and more about what they stand for. And most of those things exclusively happen in fighting games. They aren't part of the vocabulary of most gamers.
So new players will wonder "why did that hit me?!", "why can't I do that?" or "why is he yellow?" and honestly, fighting games do a really lovely job communicating those things, unless you know them.
Yeah, fighting games need better tutorials, but they also have to find a way to communicate those things ingame. A player has to be able to jump in and understand what is happening to him(not 100% feasible I know, but it can be made easier). Especially in fighting games, where you don't have time to set up, to orient yourself and plan ahead.

Dota is super arcane when you get into it, but when someone starts the game up for the very first time, the game communicates things in a language most people are familiar with.

This is far and away the dumbest loving complaint I've ever heard about fighting games. If you don't know what a word is, what do you do? You look it up in the loving dictionary. It's the same thing. There are at least a couple of sites that have a glossary of terms that you can look up, and a trillion videos explaining how to do things in fighting games.

DOTA uses terms that are in many other games and you're assuming that the "someone" that starts the game for the first time at least has gaming experience and would know the terms that DOTA uses. You're wrong. What if a person starts up DOTA and has never played a moba or mmorpg, or isn't someone who plays games regularly?

You DO have time to set up, orient yourself, and plan ahead. You just don't have a lot of time to do so. You have to research why you got hit by X, or how Y didn't hit the opponent and find out new things constantly for a long time. Understanding why you lost and correcting the reasons why you lost is what is important for new players to understand and in my experiences, most new players don't understand and they won't work to learn it.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Sarchasm posted:

Demonstrably false. Tell me one other game where "jungling" is a thing. Dota lingo is every bit as dense and impenetrable as fighting game lingo. Perhaps even moreso, just owing to how MOBA's are comparatively newer as a genre. By now everyone knows what a combo is, surely, but the meaning of "feeding" is probably a little muddier.
Isn't jungling pretty much grinding xp? You don't need examples for that.
Like I said, it's not about the lingo. It's about communication. Communicating what is happening. Don't get hung up on words, because we mostly use the word communication in that context.

The concepts of jungling and feeding are what matters: you grind xp and gold, dying makes the enemy stronger. Both well established concepts. Who gives a poo poo what they call it. The player will recognise those concepts, because he is already familiar with them.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Rudger posted:

This is far and away the dumbest loving complaint I've ever heard about fighting games. If you don't know what a word is, what do you do? You look it up in the loving dictionary.
Holy poo poo. You don't know that you can use the word "communication" for more than words? Jesus christ.
I'm not going to argue with you, because you haven't even understood the very basic of my argument. Calling my complaint dumb with 0 reading comprehension. Give me a break.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this thread has lead to a very healthy discussion and i have been exceptionally helpful.

see you in a little while.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thread reopened. lets discuss pro fighting games ok?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Welcome back pro fighting games thread!

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Arzachel posted:

The reason for this is that most fighting game developers have treated online as an afterthought. Playing a person from the east cost at 120-150 ping in Skullgirls usually feels better than playing a Swede at 20-40 ping in SF4 for me.

Creating an online community requires design and investment which no fighting game developer currently is willing or able to put in.

You have it backwards. The reason that most fighting game developers treat online as an afterthought is because there is no really "good" way to do it and have it be the same as offline play. Myself and plenty of other players have mixups and strategies that can only realistically be executed online because of the nature of online play.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Any twitter reports on who got hookers at EVO?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
For people clamoring to watch Pros be online warriors, PR Balrog is streaming right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/pr_balrog

halwain
May 31, 2011
I alawys tought that games like Dota 2 and Starcraft explain a lot of stuff much better to Beginners than nearly every fighting game. If you dont
already know alot of stuff from older fighting games it gets really hard to get into more complex stuff in sf4 because nothing is explained well enough ingame.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i thought yall could behave but NOPE.

thread over for a week, cya.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYS0ZZdsnA

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

And just in time for The International!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

So when is our next tournament? Only one I know of is West Coast Warzone, but that's not til the first week of September, gotta be something before then.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

cams posted:

So when is our next tournament? Only one I know of is West Coast Warzone, but that's not til the first week of September, gotta be something before then.

Isn't DA BEECH coming up?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Broken Loose posted:

Isn't DA BEECH coming up?

I mean, is anyone really going to be there, assuming it is happening? Considering how the last one was a trainwreck?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
It was today.

It had like 250 viewers, PR Balrog was streaming online SF and he had three times as much.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

HoneyBoy posted:

It was today.

It had like 250 viewers, PR Balrog was streaming online SF and he had three times as much.

I was watching PR Balrog. He had over 2000 viewers.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

When's Summer Jam, I think that's the next big one.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

FanaticalMilk posted:

When's Summer Jam, I think that's the next big one.

Sometime in late August.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Watson and Mando are streaming from the being-remodeled Super Arcade. No games tonight. Just them talking poo poo. They just announced that they're running a tournament in November to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Evo Moment #37 at Cal Poly Pomona, where Evo 2004 was held. Old school games will be the focus: 3rd Strike, Super Turbo, CvS2, and probably other games that were at Evo 2004.

https://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ryuga Death posted:

Sometime in late August.

Yup. There aren't any majors for a while after EVO. At least, not anything that people really consider a 'major' or give any actual fucks about.

Hell, now that Justin saved Marvel, I'm ok with everything being cancelled until at least like, Final Round or ECT...where I will once again get bodied by either FChamp, Justin, Chris G or Flocker, depending on what pool I end up in.

I will never escape pools, I always end up with a top player and getting goddamn bodied :(

iPodschun posted:

Watson and Mando are streaming from the being-remodeled Super Arcade. No games tonight. Just them talking poo poo. They just announced that they're running a tournament in November to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Evo Moment #37 at Cal Poly Pomona, where Evo 2004 was held. Old school games will be the focus: 3rd Strike, Super Turbo, CvS2, and probably other games that were at Evo 2004.

https://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds

That's cool as gently caress and I will watch it. Hell, I wish I could go :(

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 19, 2014

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
http://www.twitch.tv/dreamhackfighters

SF4 from Dreamhack Valencia is on. Luffy and Ryan Hart are there among others.

edit: bracket http://challonge.com/dhvalencia14usf4

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 19, 2014

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
EVO ST Salty Suite Matches

Mao (2 lives) vs Damdai (5 lives)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oic1bSmWQ-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuihvN8_fDo

Damdai vs Shotosallday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFv22XEC4G0

Orf vs Muffinman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D97FzwMO5cc

Chrisgamble vs Mao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMP8N4BweSs

Shotosallday vs TechMonkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAo2fO1NH-E

Mattsun vs Shotosallday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSFoRVusiIM

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

iPodschun posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/dreamhackfighters

SF4 from Dreamhack Valencia is on. Luffy and Ryan Hart are there among others.

edit: bracket http://challonge.com/dhvalencia14usf4

Oh my days.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Fassol (sp?) almost pulled it off with Ryu against that Yun. Just a couple mistakes after mostly solid rounds, but that's all Yun needs to kill.

And Luffy kills another Sagat...

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 19, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Have no idea why Ryan didn't change characters. That matchup is just awful.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

argondamn posted:

Pre-Ultra he had no problems switching to Yun, when a match-up was bad for Sagat. Or he tried to show the world how it's done.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

argondamn posted:

His Yun isn't good enough to compete with Luffy.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Art was telling some tales in stream chat for this Babylon Brawl. I didn't catch all the details, but it sounded like Triforce was accidentally streaming some uncomfortable discussions with The Steam Co pre-evo. Then I guess The Steam Co FGC guy wired Art the Evo money for Sanford to Art's paypal. Art told Sanford he should drop EMP and the ticket was bought very shortly thereafter. Might have the order mixed up, but it was hard to read with dumb spam chat.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

iPodschun posted:

Old school games will be the focus: 3rd Strike, Super Turbo, CvS2, and probably other games that were at Evo 2004.

Fuuuuuuuuck. Thats pretty cool. C'mon Alpha 2 tourney.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Crossposting from General FG thread, there's a UNIEL (that game with the dumb name from Melty Blood people) tourney being streamed right now: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/apm%E9%85%8D%E4%BF%A1%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%8D%E3%83%AB/theater

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Crossposting from General FG thread, there's a UNIEL (that game with the dumb name from Melty Blood people) tourney being streamed right now: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/apm%E9%85%8D%E4%BF%A1%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%8D%E3%83%AB/theater

Huh. They got dudes wearing Fedoras in Japan too huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Hypocrisy posted:

Huh. They got dudes wearing Fedoras in Japan too huh?

Hats are fashionable in Japan. You can wear one without electing into some form of douchery, it's kind of nice!