Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I love how all the tweets in response to that think it's the worst news. as opposed to the best news, which it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More Arrow S3 news

The big reveal though?

Tommy will be on the second episode!!!! :neckbeard:. In a flashback but still.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We have the tweet from earlier and here is more from Johns.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-geoff-johns-no-dc-movietv-crossover

The movie and TV universes will stay separate. Superman and Batman will not appear on TV.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That's good news to me. Batman or Superman being on Arrow would eclipse Ollie and takeover the entire show, even if they just appeared for one or two episodes. Also, I just finished season 2 and holy poo poo I didn't think it'd actually be able to top S1 but it sure did. This show is like the Dark Knight of superhero TV. The CW really struck gold with this one, it's the best thing they've had since Angel. I knew next-to-nothing about the Green Arrow before watching and now consider myself a big fan.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
To be clear he says no Superman or Batman "right now". Which in all likelihood is just shady posturing on his part and they'll never be on but it's worth establishing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I guess we may see Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman if it's "half" of the Justice League?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

computer parts posted:

So I guess we may see Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman if it's "half" of the Justice League?

J'Onn is not and has never been part of the League as part of the rebooted continuity (I know, its really, really dumb), instead doing time with Stormwatch (before they were erased from history or something, I forget), before being a founding member of the Justice League of America. And is now going to be part of the Justice League of Canada. I'm not joking.

Of course, I also wouldn't be surprised if DC shot themselves in the foot for iconography over relevancy to what they're actually selling (mind you, its good iconography), so yeah. I would probably imagine at least one of them being Cyborg, if anybody. Victor's enhancements are a creation of tech stored with Star Labs as of the New 52, and it was used as the means to intro Barry in the Justice League: War animated flick.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

I'm thinking Hal since his friendship with both Barry and Ollie is very iconic and we have the Ferris Aircraft's easter eggs.

Astro Nut posted:

J'Onn is not and has never been part of the League as part of the rebooted continuity (I know, its really, really dumb), instead doing time with Stormwatch (before they were erased from history or something, I forget), before being a founding member of the Justice League of America. And is now going to be part of the Justice League of Canada. I'm not joking.

Of course, I also wouldn't be surprised if DC shot themselves in the foot for iconography over relevancy to what they're actually selling (mind you, its good iconography), so yeah. I would probably imagine at least one of them being Cyborg, if anybody. Victor's enhancements are a creation of tech stored with Star Labs as of the New 52, and it was used as the means to intro Barry in the Justice League: War animated flick.

By that logic Firestorm doesn't counts as being part of the JL since he has never been a founder member.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Justice League Canada is just the name of the story arc. They're Justice League United.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm thinking Hal since his friendship with both Barry and Ollie is very iconic and we have the Ferris Aircraft's easter eggs.

By that logic Firestorm doesn't counts as being part of the JL since he has never been a founder member.

He has been briefly part of it in the new continuity, if that ends up the likely measuring stick for League counts, but as you say, probably not since he's not a founding member in any continuity.

It still annoys me that we're close enough to the reboot its hard to tell if they'll draw on the older, more popularly known version of the team, or if they'll shift to the model after.

Edit:

Aphrodite posted:

Justice League Canada is just the name of the story arc. They're Justice League United.

Apologies then. I knew it was the title of the book, but wasn't aware it was their in universe name as well.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 19, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

computer parts posted:

Since several B-listers have been a Justice League member at one point or another (including a couple that have already been on the show), they could trot a bunch of them out instead of the big guns and that statement would still be true. But then it looks like they're content to have TV and movie Flashes going at the same time, so maybe they will roll some of the more prominent members out.

Martian Manhunter was on Smallville, for the record.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hcreight posted:

Since several B-listers have been a Justice League member at one point or another, they could trot a bunch of them out instead of the big guns and that statement would still be true. But then it looks like they're content to have TV and movie Flashes going at the same time, so maybe they will roll some of the more prominent members out.

If you go by the traditional 7 member roster? We're kind of already at 3 traditional 'founder' members, with Green Arrow, Flash and Black Canary.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Was that statement meant in that context? I wasn't sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

If you go by the traditional 7 member roster? We're kind of already at 3 traditional 'founder' members, with Green Arrow, Flash and Black Canary.

Technically we haven't seen Black Canary yet.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly I could go for a "Brave and the Bold"-style treatment for the TV universe. The cartoon series was amazing and I still enjoy watching it to this day.

What I'm trying to say is bring on Wildcat.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm a little worried about Firestorm. How can they make that cool looking with a CW budget?

Also, the movie/television separation news is Great News.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Just because Arrow won't be part of the movie's canon doesn't mean that Stephen Amell can't make an unrelated appearance as the Green Arrow in the Justice League film.

Just let me dream, okay? :colbert:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

JohnSherman posted:

Just because Arrow won't be part of the movie's canon doesn't mean that Stephen Amell can't make an unrelated appearance as the Green Arrow in the Justice League film.

Just let me dream, okay? :colbert:

Accept this as good news. The new DC movies very well may suck. And then you'll be glad Arrow is a distinct entity.

Are we really going to like Khal Drogo as Aquaman? Is that going to be good?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scyantific posted:

Honestly I could go for a "Brave and the Bold"-style treatment for the TV universe. The cartoon series was amazing and I still enjoy watching it to this day.

What I'm trying to say is bring on Wildcat.

Wildcat would be perfect for like a fighting mentor for Oliver.

Like Slade but less crazy.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I liked MoS and am looking forward to the DC films, so the idea of splitting the TV/movie universes really doesn't appeal to me. This way, when Justice League comes around, they'll either

- Have a Justice League without Green Arrow/The Flash/Black Canary, or

- Have an entirely different live-action Green Arrow/The Flash/Black Canary when they have perfectly awesome versions already (well, that's a maybe in BC's case).

Both of these options seem poo poo to me, but I'm sure that's not a popular opinion.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

I don't remember Green Arrow and Black Canary being 'founder' members of the League. When did this happen?

Edit:

From Wikipedia: First appearing in The Brave and the Bold #28 (February/March 1960), the Justice League originally featured Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter.

Did they change that recently?

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 19, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackchamber posted:

I don't remember Green Arrow and Black Canary being 'founder' members of the League. When did this happen?

Edit:

From Wikipedia: First appearing in The Brave and the Bold #28 (February/March 1960), the Justice League originally featured Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter.

Did they change that recently?

There was a revision in the 90's, JLA Year One where Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman were dropped and Black Canary filled out the roster of 5. I'm fairly certain this lineup had been alluded to previously but I'm exhausted and can't make my brain work.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Green Arrow and Black Canary are pretty low on the power level / fame to be founding members of the Justice League.

Most incarnations always include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Flash at the minimum. Then there's Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, maybe Atom.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Regardless of their power levels, Green Arrow and Black Canary were mainstays of the JLA in the silver age and regular members throughout the 2000s, right up until the reboot. By all means should they be considered iconic Leaguers.

Cyborg, on the other hand, is not remotely a Justice League regular, despite how they've been trying desperately to promote him. Before the New 52 he was only ever a presence in the Teen Titans.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, it was basically treated as Canary and a bunch of others having 'actually' founded the League, with the Trinity either being prominent members who joined later, or who weren't part of it because come on guys we're giving the B-listers some room here.

The idea itself stuck around for a while in universe I believe, but lost most of its weight and potential recognition due to the popularity of Grant Morrison's run on the Justice League, which featured a return to (variants of) "The Big Seven", and the Justice League cartoon for the DCAU that followed on the heels of that popularity.

Admittedly, I always liked the concept of the larger League, helping to better coordinate and introduce superheroes in general, but the seven person team became the standard once more and is likely to remain that way whilst DC seeks a counter to the avengers.

This would be hilarious if this led to debates of whether TV or movie league is better though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The reboot changed when Wonder Woman emerged, making a lot of old stories impossible. However the reboot was supposed to make all the old stories also canon, so they replaced her with Canary as a founder.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Why anyone would want to let the shitlords who brought us Man of Steel gently caress around with the Arrowverse will forever be a mystery to me. Are there actually people out there who don't think Arrow is putting the rest of DC's combined live action efforts to shame?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Crunk Abortion posted:

Why anyone would want to let the shitlords who brought us Man of Steel gently caress around with the Arrowverse will forever be a mystery to me. Are there actually people out there who don't think Arrow is putting the rest of DC's combined live action efforts to shame?

Read the comments section of literally any site running this story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crunk Abortion posted:

There was nothing wrong with Man of Steel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Let's not open that can of worms in here.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
It's disappointing they insist on keeping them separate because if they ever do put arrow in a movie then it most likely won't be amell

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ayb posted:

It's disappointing they insist on keeping them separate because if they ever do put arrow in a movie then it most likely won't be amell

It's good that they're keeping them separate because insisting on on grand continuity across several different mediums is retarded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel already broke theirs.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
There's worse things than Arrow and Flash not having excessive Hollywood entanglements.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

ayb posted:

I highly doubt that they'd want the guy shooting arrows in their incarnation of the League in the first place, which probably made this choice easy for them.

But even with that said, I think people may be putting a bit too much ironclad stock in this announcement. If they end up changing their minds in a year and wanting to combine the universes after all, then they will. It's not like they're beholden to anyone but themselves.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I doubt that Johns would make that statement unless the showrunners had sat down with Johns and the WB execs at some point and everyone walked away agreeing that the continuities should stay separate.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Of course, and I'm sure that's their set gameplan going forward, but neither the film nor the television nor the comics division of the WB have a great track record of consistency, and if things change then they'll change. Like, what, is someone gonna go "Nuh UH! You promised! No take backs!"?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BrianWilly posted:

Of course, and I'm sure that's their set gameplan going forward, but neither the film nor the television nor the comics division of the WB have a great track record of consistency, and if things change then they'll change. Like, what, is someone gonna go "Nuh UH! You promised! No take backs!"?

Pretty much. All it states is that they aren't planning on doing this for the foreseeable future. Which isn't irrelevant; Batman v Superman did necessitate the conversation.

I'm seriously great with the separation. I'd love to see less familiar DC characters on TV. It's not like DC couldn't make a really elaborate television continuity across numerous shows that touches on a lot of similar premises to the films.

Can't do Batman? Green Arrow basically already is Batman. Then, although they haven't gotten the TV rights currently, Blue Beetle and Nightwing have very similar elements (hell, they've even mentioned Bludhaven.)

Can't do Superman? They're already doing Atom and Flash, so a scifi premise like Captain Atom could happen and be a pseudo-Superman character. Hell, even if they wanted to touch on the cosmic "dangerous aliens exist" aspect of Man of Steel, they could explore that through characters like Martian Manhunter or Green Lantern (who's about as high profile as Flash, just with a terrible recent feature to his name. It could theoretically happen.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My super sweet lady found me a tiny Stephen Amell to guard my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

computer parts posted:

There was nothing wrong with Man of Steel.

I...

Deadpool posted:

Let's not open that can of worms in here.

Aww.

I think I'm in the "disappointed" camp about the split continuity, just because Marvel are showing how to do it right with their movies and Agents of SHIELD. DC's movies aren't there and that's the real tragedy. Still, it'll be great to see the TV shows get a crack at making their own mythos.

• Locked thread