Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I only have Snow Goose, but I do like Camel...I just dislike how you only seem to be able to get their albums in some sort of "deluxe" format, where you get a bunch of extra outtake tracks for an inflated price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Themistocles posted:

So, Phish aside, who wants to talk about Camel?

Camel is definitely not getting enough love. The only Camel album my local record store had on hand for quite some time was Rain Dances. Rain Dances is a phenomenal album. Tough to describe: maybe a more "focused/compressed" Another Green World? Eno pulled to Earth?

A recent trip to the store and I returned with Mirage in hand. Another great grab – Mirage is somewhere throttling between Gabriel Genesis and Rush. Dragons on one side, more traditional rock riffs on the other. Curiously, no "cigarette" cover for me...

And of course I get back to the lab and there's no Mirage to speak of on iTunes. So I download The Snow Goose. Four days later I'm still drinking it in. Will I read the book? Probably not...I've already felt Dunkirk thanks to Andrew Latimer and the crew.

So, pretty much that. I need to complete my Camel discography. In the meantime: thoughts? Maybe time to discuss some more second-stringers from the "golden" era?

Camel have never really grabbed me. I like parts of Moonmadness and Mirage (moreso the former) but find them forgettable. My second-tier classic prog band of choice is Gentle Giant.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Camel have never really grabbed me. I like parts of Moonmadness and Mirage (moreso the former) but find them forgettable. My second-tier classic prog band of choice is Gentle Giant.

Those are the only two albums I've heard from them, and I do like them quite a bit and played them on my radio show. I should probably listen to more of them. They're one of those bands that I discovered too late though. Had I discovered them earlier I may have given them more attention, but like many bands that I discovered late in the game, my there were too many other things competing for my increasingly limited time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody seen Yes in their current incarnation? I have cheap lawn seat vouchers that I figured my dad and I might use if we were bored next week, but I checked setlist.fm and apparently they're playing all of Close to the Edge and Fragile. Just one song from the new album. I'm suddenly much more intrigued.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm looking for some music similar to Comus' First Utterance. I'm mostly seeking the dark and bizarre kind of mood they've got going. Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure Storm Corrosion has a fair bit of Comus influence in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVuSKk_fs1o

re: Camel, I found a copy of their self-titled album in a record store a while back and I thought it was pretty good. I've only listened to it a few times though so I can't really talk about it too much. The cover definitely owns

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Camel and GG are both sick as hell

Anybody seen Yes in their current incarnation? I have cheap lawn seat vouchers that I figured my dad and I might use if we were bored next week, but I checked setlist.fm and apparently they're playing all of Close to the Edge and Fragile. Just one song from the new album. I'm suddenly much more intrigued.

It's not great but hey if it's cheap go for it

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Breathless is one of my favorite Camel albums. It prominently features Richard Sinclair (formerly of Caravan) and kind of sounds like the two bands meeting halfway as Caramel. Echoes is probably #1 on my list of Camel songs you need to hear.

Nude is my favorite Camel album, but it isn't really representative of their sound as a whole—honestly, it feels more like a lost great Pink Floyd album. It's a concept album based on the story of Hiroo Onoda, and features some gorgeous melodic pop and instrumentals that sound film soundtrack-like, in the best possible sense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Opeth album is out there (it fits much more in this thread than the metal thread). So far I'm enjoying it more than Heritage, which was a bit of a snoozer.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I feel like Opeth have gone from making brilliant prog metal to making mediocre regular prog.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the new Opeth hasn't particularly grabbed me, but I'm enjoying it more than Heritage. It's still one of the better prog releases of the year.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I am really digging the new Opeth. I liked Heritage, but it's definitely a big step above that. Heavier, more intense, more complex. It's pretty solid.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
So I guess no one here wants to talk about the new Phish album, Fuego? I really like it. The title track is cool, a bit of a laid back but proggy sound to it.
http://youtu.be/NNaOM5YZB0c

But the biggest surprise is waiting all night, very reminiscent of the beach boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmxHvGCo2wQ

Yes just released a new track from their upcoming album. Not good. This might be the worst Yes song I've ever heard actually.

http://youtu.be/ldKKCJRb_So

New Opeth album? Hell Yeah! Now I have something to play on my next radio show.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 19, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gianthogweed posted:

Yes just released a new track from their upcoming album. Not good. This might be the worst Yes song I've ever heard actually.

This is like they hired a middle schooler to write lyrics for a Supertramp pastiche, but it's not offensively bad.

On the other hand, that's the nicest thing I have to say about it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Is this real?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It's just so boring. Sounds like some buddies from the senior center church group decided to dust off their gear from college and play a daytime show for their friends. And then nobody showed up.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That song blows.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

It might be the production. The last few albums I've seen with Roy Thomas Baker's name on them really didn't sound good at all.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Among other things, the bass part sounds really out of place. It's like Chris Squire is saying "can we, uh, play Roundabout or something?"

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
That new Opeth album did nothing for me :(

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Okay I take back everything I said about the new Opeth album after listening to that Yes track. Jesus loving Christ. Yes have gone through some embarrassing phases in their career but this is by far the shittiest. Embarrassing.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Just listened to the new Opeth album. I like it better than Heritage, but I do miss the death metal. In fact, it's not really metal at all. Definitely prog rock. On the other hand, it's a beautiful sounding album. I liked it way better than Damnation which got dull after awhile. It had some really soaring moments on it. It actually had some upbeat moments on it, believe it or not. At times I thought I forgot I was listening to Opeth and thought it might have been Phish, lol. Over all, very good album, they're definitely trying some new things which, in this case, is not a bad thing.

I also just heard the new Rick Wakeman studio version of Journey to the Center of the Earth. The original 1974 album was a live recording, but Rick just re-released a 40th anniversary box set that features newly recorded studio version of the album as well as its 1999 sequel (with Patrick Stewart, Ozzy Osbourne, Justin Hayward and a bunch of other famous singers). For those who aren't familiar with Rick Wakeman's solo stuff, he pretty much is the epitome of overblown prog rock excessiveness, and this album is no exception. The studio version is pretty close to the original 1974 recording, but there is some additional music which Rick claims was originally part of the piece but was removed due to time restrictions. Ashley Holt is also back to record his vocal part, and I must say his voice sounds much better on the studio recording than it does on the live recording. Sadly Gary Pickford Hopkins died last year but Hayley Sanderson sang his parts. David Hemmings also, sadly, died before the album was recorded so Peter Egan took over the role as narrator.

I've listened to the original live recording of journey so many times over the years that it's going to be difficult for me to get used to this new version, but I have to admit that it's growing on me, and dare I say it, I think I like it better.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jesus loving christ, Yes, you are not the Kinks. Do not try to play like they might.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it literally sounds like Steve Howe got high and was idly jamming along to one of the default patterns on a crappy drum machine from the late 90's while some 14 year old sang along. I know Yes got bad in recent years but I didn't realize it was this bad and I'm still kind of hoping that song is a joke

According to wikipedia Alan White is still in the band but I can't believe an actual human being was playing that beat.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 19, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Noise Machine posted:

It might be the production. The last few albums I've seen with Roy Thomas Baker's name on them really didn't sound good at all.

The production is awful. It sounds like the karaoke backing tracks of actual songs that are all over Spotify.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I've only heard a couple of songs from the new Opeth album. It seems okay. I think it's a good thing that they are moving away from metal and trying something new, but I dont really know if this is the right direction for them.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Earwicker posted:

it literally sounds like Steve Howe got high and was idly jamming along to one of the default patterns on a crappy drum machine from the late 90's while some 14 year old sang along. I know Yes got bad in recent years but I didn't realize it was this bad and I'm still kind of hoping that song is a joke

According to wikipedia Alan White is still in the band but I can't believe an actual human being was playing that beat.

Steve Howe's guitar playing was the only decent thing about the song. It wasn't nearly enough to save it though.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

From the samples of the other songs I've heard, it doesn't sound like the album gets any better. It all sounds very..."weak" is the only word that comes to mind. There's just no real power to the music, and that's a real shame compared to Yes in their prime.

I can usually find something neat about every other Yes album, and that might be true for this one, but I'll take my chances and give this a miss.

On a slightly related note, I've come to realize that my favorite kind of prog has an intense sound, with jazz influences being a bonus. I'm thinking of stuff like Van Der Graff Generator, King Crimson's jazzier instrumental sections and Red, and Yes's Relayer, especially Sound Chaser. What bands or musicians should I be looking into to get deeper into that kind of sound?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Free Cog posted:

On a slightly related note, I've come to realize that my favorite kind of prog has an intense sound, with jazz influences being a bonus. I'm thinking of stuff like Van Der Graff Generator, King Crimson's jazzier instrumental sections and Red, and Yes's Relayer, especially Sound Chaser. What bands or musicians should I be looking into to get deeper into that kind of sound?

Soft Machine and Caravan come to mind.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm looking for some music similar to Comus' First Utterance. I'm mostly seeking the dark and bizarre kind of mood they've got going. Any ideas?

This is a little late, but I was thinking about it while listening to that album again and remembered The Trees Community.

Obviously not lyrically dark like Comus (everything is overtly Christian), but their stuff does get pretty weird in parts. Worth listening to even if they don't exactly fit the Comus bill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_yy0OXvUFg

Free Cog posted:

Have you delved into Zeuhl at all? Very intense prog/jazz fusion, always with impressive drumming, often with chanting, and pretty much exclusively a French and Japanese thing. Magma were the originators, and you might also want to check out Zao (not the Christian metalcore band), Eskaton, Bondage Fruit, Xing Sa, Pochakaite Malko, Dün, Universal Totem Orchestra, and my personal favorite, Koenjihyakkei. There's also a band in LA called Corima that I recently saw live, and they were the highlight of the whole weekend festival.
Koenjihyakkei:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIJtICRAxPc
Corima:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJy7UCn8VrY

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Free Cog posted:

Gong's albums with Allan Holdsworth are pretty cool. You might also like Oblivion Sun and Bozzio-Levin-Stevens.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Bill bruford and tony levin had a one-off jazz fusion group called B.L.U.E. that did nothing exciting or groundbreaking, but was pleasant to listen to. So yeah.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuI2fev8omE&index=2&list=PLeasUbhvyXXrFVsGArWAW_lZtLYqbVjiJ

Here's a preview of the rest of the new Yes album. It doesn't sound as bad as the "single" they chose to promote the album with (why they chose that song I never will know), but there's nothing that really stands out as al that great. It's pretty par for the course for the stuff Yes has been putting out in the past 20 years or so. Although, there was usually at least one diamond in the rough on those albums. Based on this preview, I'm not holding out any hope that were will be any on this one. Still, it's just a preview, so who knows. Believe Again seems like a pretty nice song at least.

I feel like they can manage the slower songs okay. But whenever they try to do something up tempo it just falls flat. There's just no energy to the band anymore. They've gotten too old. The main problem is Alan White. He was a great drummer back in the day, but he can't cut it anymore. Bill Bruford probably still could do it, but I doubt he'll ever come out of retirement to rejoin Yes, especially in the state they're in right now. They need a younger drummer with energy and chops to breathe new life into the band. They can keep old Alan around and do a double drummer thing out of respect to him and out of loyalty. Two drummers sounded great on the Union tour, it could work again. But lets face it, they're all getting pretty old, so eventually Squire and Howe will need "help" then so will Downes and in 30 years so will Davison, but I doubt he'll still be in the band by then.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 22, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know we're all ripping on the new Yes but I just got back from seeing them and they were great for a bunch of old dudes (Steve Howe looks like the Crypt Keeper or the picture of Dorian Grey). It helps that they had a pretty much unbeatable setlist:

Close to the Edge in its entirety (reverse track order)
Believe Again (not that bad)
Fragile in its entirety
---
I've Seen All Good People
Starship Trooper

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I know we're all ripping on the new Yes but I just got back from seeing them and they were great for a bunch of old dudes (Steve Howe looks like the Crypt Keeper or the picture of Dorian Grey). It helps that they had a pretty much unbeatable setlist:

Close to the Edge in its entirety (reverse track order)
Believe Again (not that bad)
Fragile in its entirety
---
I've Seen All Good People
Starship Trooper
Man, you only had to put up with one new song? They did two last Sunday, and Owner of a Lonely Heart instead of Starship Trooper. Was still a drat good show, though. Davison continues to impress me, even if he's not the "real deal".

(Also, I don't care what logic says, it isn't all of Fragile if it doesn't have the ten-minute cover of America from the 2003 version.)

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Just a heads up that the new Steven Wilson remix/remaster of Jethro Tull's A Passion Play is out. They split the album up into the tracklisting provided on the original LP release and also included a remix/remaster of the Chateau d'Isaster material. Only gave the album a listen, but it sounded amazing. Supposedly a lot of stuff was added in/mixed out, especially for the Chateau d'Isaster stuff. All I was really able to pinpoint were a couple verses that were cut out of the original release of Passion Play.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I'm going to have to eat my words. Just listened to the new Yes album in its entirety and I have to say that it's actually pretty drat good. Not great mind you, nowhere's near on the level of their 70s stuff, or even Drama or 90125. But it's about as good as Union or Keys to Ascension, The Ladder or Magnification. Not as good as their last one though, Fly From Here, which was a pretty strong effort held up considerably by old material written mainly by Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes as well as some great stuff by Steve Howe. The "single" they released is awful, but in the context of the album it works a little better, because it's the only straightforward 4/4 uptempo song they have. Jon Davison co-wrote most of the songs on the album, and he seems like a pretty talented songwriter all things considered.

My favorite songs were:
"Believe Again" (Davison, Howe) - really nice mini prog epic
"Step Beyond" (Davison, Howe) - fun little jazzy prog ditty, a little too goofy for its own good though
"To Ascend" (Davison, White) - beautiful acoustic/vocal piece (there's a bonus track version with an orchestra that I like even better)
"Light of the Ages" (Davison) - cool little epic that shows how good a songwriter Davison is on his own
"It Was All We Knew" (Howe) - a little awkward in parts but a fun little prog ditty
"Subway Walls" (Davison, Downes) - Quite an awesome little epic that harkens back to 70s Yes at their best. Best song on the album, but it would have been a lot better if the band had more energy and tore things up a bit during the instrumental section.

The worst songs were the ones co-written by Squire, namely "The Game" and "In A World of Our Own" which you all heard before. I always felt Chris Squire's pop sensibilities had led the band astray since the 80s. He seems to still be on that path and is still stuck in the 80s. "The Game" isn't terrible but it outstays its welcome. Still, overall, I liked the album and would recommend at least giving it a shot if you're a fan of Yes.

On an aside. When they play "all of Fragile" does Downes actually play Cans and Brahms? What about Five Per Cent for Nothing?

Edit: ^^ Thanks for the heads up, will definitely give the new Tull remix a listen.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 24, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes, they really play Cans and Brahms, We Have Heaven (which actually sounds much better live), Five Per Cent For Nothing, The Fish and Mood For a Day.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I haven't listened to passion play in probably 10 years, but I never understood it. Maybe it needs fresh ears, but the spoken word section is clunky, there's no memorable hooks, it's just long as gently caress. And Tull was one of my favorite bands for a few years, but that one I didn't get.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I haven't listened to passion play in probably 10 years, but I never understood it. Maybe it needs fresh ears, but the spoken word section is clunky, there's no memorable hooks, it's just long as gently caress. And Tull was one of my favorite bands for a few years, but that one I didn't get.

I didn't get it at first either, but it grew on me as time went on. I remember I actually liked the chateau d'isaster tapes more than the album for awhile. Ian has said that the album was made in reaction to the thick as a brick tour. There were no quiet acoustic sections because during the taab tour the audience would always drown out the quiet sections. The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles was actually filmed section during the concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQCTe_50Sy8

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

BigFactory posted:

As far as prog rock albums go, it's pretty conservative, clocking in at 45 minutes long. I'd place it alongside Thick as a Brick as one of their best, though I can see how it'd turn people off. It's a lot denser and kind of relentless and I remember feeling like the only parts I could remember were The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles part and the bits immediately before and after. I kept listening to it, though, and at some point it all just clicked. If you're not into it yet, I'd maybe take this opportunity to give the remixed album a few attentive listens with headphones and see how you feel about it. I got into a shitload of albums that I otherwise would've written off that way.

It's kinda the same story with King Crimson - Lizard, I think. It got ripped apart by critics who couldn't be hosed to give it two listens, Fripp started to loathe the album because of the poo poo he received from it, Wilson remixes/remasters it, people realize that, hey, it's actually a pretty loving awesome prog rock album, who knew. I'm sure Anderson feels the same way about A Passion Play. Here's hoping the remix changes people's minds about it. It's definitely one of Wilson's best remixing jobs.