Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

gleep gloop posted:

Like none at all? Wow.

My backwoods rear end high school didn't offer anything above Algebra 2 and Biology for math and science. You had to go to the community college with duel enrollment if you wanted chemistry and calculus poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress is there no such thing as HS accreditation?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Start talking about consistent standards and people will start to cry about Obummer taking their freedom away.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

evil_bunnY posted:

There is--or something like it. It's just not a single national standard. And honestly, you're not going to be able to make it equal across the board. The farming community with 30 students isn't going to be able to support a curriculum as robust as a larger, more affluent town. Using a nearby community college is a pretty good use of resources. And other than the admissions at a more competitive university, no one really cares how good your high school was.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hell, I'm a high school dropout and the Army still took me. :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Before I moved to Florida I lived in the Port Richmond area of Philadelphia and the public schools there (at the time no idea what it's like now) were no poo poo like 4 grade levels ahead of the loving trash rear end Florida school I was going to at the time.

Like they straight up didn't teach you multiplication with double digit numbers or long division until the 7th loving grade

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Bolow posted:

Before I moved to Florida I lived in the Port Richmond area of Philadelphia and the public schools there (at the time no idea what it's like now) were no poo poo like 4 grade levels ahead of the loving trash rear end Florida school I was going to at the time.

Like they straight up didn't teach you multiplication with double digit numbers or long division until the 7th loving grade

:wtc:

What did they do to fill in that gap if they were spacing out the content that much?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Feed Me A Cat posted:

:wtc:

What did they do to fill in that gap if they were spacing out the content that much?

I have no idea what anything was pre 4th grade but they were teaching just basic multiplication when I started school in Florida like memorizing the times tables and poo poo. I also had a 7th grade science teacher try to tell me the earth was only 10,000 years old. :v:

Don't raise children in Florida

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bolow posted:

I have no idea what anything was pre 4th grade but they were teaching just basic multiplication when I started school in Florida like memorizing the times tables and poo poo. I also had a 7th grade science teacher try to tell me the earth was only 10,000 years old. :v:

At that rate, none of the basic training stories are surprising any more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My client company recently did a job for the Air Force Civil Engineers at Patrick AFB for mobile crane operator training. We're currently getting pissy calls from the job contact asking for a receipt.

We don't have a receipt because his credit card was declined.

He has yet to understand the connection.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Bolow posted:

What part of Florida? There was a plethora of high-end courses at my high school. It wasn't even possible to take 100% of the AP courses offered even if you took nothing else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, my own school near Orlando was very well-regarded and continuously maintained an A grade, as well as tons of other accolades and a few records.

It depends a lot on where you are. Central Florida is the most progressive and left-wing part of the state, to a degree that rivals some Yankees, and is extremely LGBT friendly as well as fairly wealthy. But a lot of the rural areas between major cities are poor and dumb as poo poo.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 19, 2014

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, my own school near Orlando was very well-regarded and continuously maintained an A grade, as well as tons of other accolades and a few records.

It depends a lot on where you are. Central Florida is the most progressive and left-wing part of the state, to a degree that rivals some Yankees, and is extremely LGBT friendly as well as fairly wealthy. But a lot of the rural areas between major cities are poor and dumb as poo poo.

I've been told by people who live in Florida as long as you stay away from the panhandle, it's all good.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Justin Godscock posted:

I've been told by people who live in Florida as long as you stay away from the panhandle, it's all good.

Solid advice.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Justin Godscock posted:

As a native Floridian, I can say this is good advice. Also, try to stay near the coast, either Atlantic or Gulf side.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

What part of Florida? There was a plethora of high-end courses at my high school. It wasn't even possible to take 100% of the AP courses offered even if you took nothing else.

Pasco County. My freshmen class was around 700 people.

I walked with 120.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Lmao

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If it weren't for the "alternate" highschool the school district I went through would probably have a ~95% graduation rate. I can't remember what their grad rate is but it was pretty dismal last time it got posted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Justin Godscock posted:

This is exactly it. As my sister says, "The further north you go, the more southern it gets." The far north of Florida and all of the featureless rural areas between major cities are pretty typical white trash. The majority of Central Florida, especially Orlando, is a left-wing mecca with tons of wealthy neighborhoods for miles. Tampa and St. Petersburg are two big western beach towns, with St. Pete being a quintessential "Florida oceanside hangout" town, from the palm trees to the pirate-themed advertising. Miami is essentially a richer, cocaine-infused extension of Cuba.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is exactly it. As my sister says, "The further north you go, the more southern it gets." The far north of Florida and all of the featureless rural areas between major cities are pretty typical white trash. The majority of Central Florida, especially Orlando, is a left-wing mecca with tons of wealthy neighborhoods for miles. Tampa and St. Petersburg are two big western beach towns, with St. Pete being a quintessential "Florida oceanside hangout" town, from the palm trees to the pirate-themed advertising. Miami is essentially a richer, cocaine-infused extension of Cuba.

I currently am stationed in Pensacola and it's basically Alabama. I grew up outside Gainesville in a rural area. My kids are currently in the Escambia county public school system and its probably about a year behind the curriculum they were going through in Virginia Beach. My kids are all in the gifted program so they get more challenging stuff than the average student so it may be pretty bad.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I hosed a girl from Gainesville and she was the most white trash human being I had ever met. Every Florida stereotype except a bunch of kids.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

vulturesrow posted:

I currently am stationed in Pensacola and it's basically Alabama. I grew up outside Gainesville in a rural area. My kids are currently in the Escambia county public school system and its probably about a year behind the curriculum they were going through in Virginia Beach. My kids are all in the gifted program so they get more challenging stuff than the average student so it may be pretty bad.

I'm going to guess the stank redneck town of Paducah. Come for the pulp mill stench, stay for the meth!

I like parts of the Panhandle. The Ft. Walton area is pretty nice and has some of the top schools in the state (Niceville in particular), and I love Tallahassee.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Destin is p nice too. Panama City proper is a pretty drat trashy shithole. I kinda miss it :getin:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I live in Tallahassee and like it just fine, but it certainly is southern Georgia much more than it is Florida.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Derek Dominoe posted:

I'm going to guess the stank redneck town of Paducah. Come for the pulp mill stench, stay for the meth!

I like parts of the Panhandle. The Ft. Walton area is pretty nice and has some of the top schools in the state (Niceville in particular), and I love Tallahassee.

Not Paducah!

e: Actually had to look that town up and I couldn't even find it... except in Kentucky.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 19, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

evil_bunnY posted:

If there was DoDDS would lose that poo poo in a heartbeat. It's all the stupidity of public education plus the stupidity of the DoD times the stupidity of dependents.

The DoDDS folks here seriously tried talking me into taking my kids out of a private German kindergarten that I pay 200 euro a month for two kids and put them in the Army program. gently caress that, gently caress you, I'd pay double that poo poo to keep them out of that circus.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I went to Catholic grade school for K-5 and I had one of my teachers try to tell me that rats were invertebrates.

Then I went to public school and had a high school science teacher tell me the sun was 99% of the mass of the universe. When contradicted by the entire class, she didn't say "oh my bad I meant the solar system," she just ran with her initial statement. NC education is bad.

Guest2553 posted:

Crosspost from idiots on social media:

This pleases on so many levels - some stupid person removing a stupid tattoo in a stupid manner to stupidly reenlist :woop:

:vince:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

vulturesrow posted:

Not Paducah!

e: Actually had to look that town up and I couldn't even find it... except in Kentucky.

My bad. I meant Palatka. I got nothing against Paducah.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Passing a convoy of trucks on the way to Tampa. One of the fuel truck drivers seems to be trying to zig-zag in his lane.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 19, 2014

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
The other day during a break some students were in the back of class laughing their asses off. I asked what was so funny because I would like to laugh as well. They handed me a note card covered front and back with tiny black handwriting. It was a love/breakup letter they had found in the trash in the smoke pit. I didn't manage to transcribe it before I shredded it (we've had a few hazing issues in other schools and I didn't want people making fun of this poor idiot with me having knowledge of the cause) but it was hilariously pathetic.

Think of a dude who has never had a girlfriend. He joins the navy and meets the girl of his dreams. She is in no way attractive but is the first person to touch his peen, so he's in love. They sit next to each other in class and they're ~*so in love*~. The gist of the letter is that they can't be together because the course is too hard and they are distracting each other. Most of the letter is teen angst poo poo about hating himself for having to break up with her and it wouldn't work anyway because of orders and whatnot, but there was one line that stuck out to me. I actually can't get it out of my head and I kinda wanna throw up.

"My mind and my hand wanders."

This dude was fingerblasting her through her pants in class. Undoubtedly she was giving him an over the pants hand beezy often as well. Maybe that explains why this week they both got academically dropped from training. If they had graduated it would be very likely they could have gotten same orders to Ft. Meade, but now they're in a different school with hundreds of possible duty stations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wild T posted:

If there was DoDDS would lose that poo poo in a heartbeat. It's all the stupidity of public education plus the stupidity of the DoD times the stupidity of dependents.

The DoDDS folks here seriously tried talking me into taking my kids out of a private German kindergarten that I pay 200 euro a month for two kids and put them in the Army program. gently caress that, gently caress you, I'd pay double that poo poo to keep them out of that circus.

That's too bad. In the 70s and 80s they were pretty drat good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wild T posted:

That explains why the only dude I know posted overseas is very happy his kid's at the local private american school. So retarded.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fart Sandwiches posted:

The other day during a break some students were in the back of class laughing their asses off. I asked what was so funny because I would like to laugh as well. They handed me a note card covered front and back with tiny black handwriting. It was a love/breakup letter they had found in the trash in the smoke pit. I didn't manage to transcribe it before I shredded it (we've had a few hazing issues in other schools and I didn't want people making fun of this poor idiot with me having knowledge of the cause) but it was hilariously pathetic.

Think of a dude who has never had a girlfriend. He joins the navy and meets the girl of his dreams. She is in no way attractive but is the first person to touch his peen, so he's in love. They sit next to each other in class and they're ~*so in love*~. The gist of the letter is that they can't be together because the course is too hard and they are distracting each other. Most of the letter is teen angst poo poo about hating himself for having to break up with her and it wouldn't work anyway because of orders and whatnot, but there was one line that stuck out to me. I actually can't get it out of my head and I kinda wanna throw up.

This dude was fingerblasting her through her pants in class. Undoubtedly she was giving him an over the pants hand beezy often as well. Maybe that explains why this week they both got academically dropped from training. If they had graduated it would be very likely they could have gotten same orders to Ft. Meade, but now they're in a different school with hundreds of possible duty stations.

Being able to laugh and enjoy service enlisted drama seems pretty cool when you aren't in the military.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What loving schoolhouse is this? It's DLI, isn't it?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Softface posted:

What loving schoolhouse is this? It's DLI, isn't it?

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 17, 2017

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Ahhhh, young love.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What is the nastiest place people have bumped uglies during training that everyone knows of? Best I got is between two dumpsters in the dumpster stall behind an AAFES gas station. Probably tame in comparison to what someone has seen, but it was pretty trashy between those dumpsters.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SumYungGui posted:

What is the nastiest place people have bumped uglies during training that everyone knows of? Best I got is between two dumpsters in the dumpster stall behind an AAFES gas station. Probably tame in comparison to what someone has seen, but it was pretty trashy between those dumpsters.

someone got bent over a piece of ATC equipment located at the golf course/flight line/outskirts of training complex while i was at keesler, and apparently a few people taking a walk and security forces on IR camera were able to watch. i guess that's less a disgusting place and more a disgusting motive.

a teal rope told me the best place was in the dug out at the softball field, because 'nobody uses the fuckin thing anyway'. welp.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

SumYungGui posted:

Not tech school, but in the Deid, a couple of cops were caught under one of the Cadillac shitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Lazy Reservist posted:

Not tech school, but in the Deid, a couple of cops were caught under one of the Cadillac shitters.

:stonk:

niggas must have been really horny