Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Would you really want Goons? Also I assume you guys only run the open series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Dynamite Dog posted:

Also, and I promise this is the last time I'll shill for my team, if anyone is interested in an Indy/Star Mazda/Sportscar focused team we're now officially recruiting people for next season. We've got a lot of good regulars and have managed to race in Indycar for years without attracting any drama or shitstorms; we just want to have fun going fast in cool looking internet racecars.

I'm gonna apply but I won't hit Road B until next season, so tell them to accept me.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

We'll see if inviting goons is a good idea...

You can probably convince people to run open or fixed on any given night, especially since you can usually run one then the other.

Shibby, you'll probably get in anyway (those standards are really just to weed out day 1 rookies), but I'll let them know if need be.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lord knows I'm tempted to join. I can usually hold my own in the Indy Fixed, but the different requirements of the Open series, combined with the confusing as hell DW12 setup, would make it a good idea that I have people to help me.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
iRacing is kinda fun. Getting into it a bit more. Haven't played online yet, mostly because I can't figure out the website. But that is probably for the better. I tried steering with my phone using that app. It works better than expected actually.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Torabi posted:

iRacing is kinda fun. Getting into it a bit more. Haven't played online yet, mostly because I can't figure out the website. But that is probably for the better. I tried steering with my phone using that app. It works better than expected actually.

I would stick to Test mode until you can get the hang of it. I'd also recommend ghosting a race.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Torabi posted:

Yeah their interface sorely needs an overhaul.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I'm tempted to join, but I wont have my B license until next season. (I'm also terrible at racing)

I don't think I will benefit from a team as much as others, so good luck to you guys this season.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

By the way is there a way to switch to the metric system? MPH doesn't tell me much while driving.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Check the ingame options. I know the garage can be switched to metric.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Torabi posted:

By the way is there a way to switch to the metric system? MPH doesn't tell me much while driving.

Just change to metric in the garage and it'll switch everything to metric.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Glorious metric system. Completely missed the garage options screen. Thanks.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I get depressed every time I load up the website.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Just picked up a 3 month sub and a free (albiet useless) CoT for $9. Have a Driving Force Pro off ebay in the mail for $50. Messing around with my gamepad until it arrives. I'm getting the same sort of feeling I got when I was into MMORPGs when I was younger.

This is the start of something dangerously addictive. And yet here I am.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Grayly Squirrel posted:

This is the start of something dangerously addictive.
Wait until you start making custom paint schemes. Now that's addictive.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Grayly Squirrel posted:

This is the start of something dangerously addictive. And yet here I am.

Just wait until you start treating your normal driving like it's iRacing, that's when you know you're addicted I am

Harveygod posted:

Wait until you start making custom paint schemes. Now that's addictive.

Precisely the reason why I miss having Photoshop at work :smith:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Grayly Squirrel posted:

and a free (albiet useless) CoT .

Join some Carb Cup races. :v:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

KingShibby posted:

Just wait until you start treating your normal driving.
Avoid those 4x's.

KingShibby posted:

Precisely the reason why I miss having Photoshop at work :smith:
GIMP works pretty well. That's all I've ever used.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Harveygod posted:

Avoid those 4x's.

So far in 2014 I have zero irl incident points! :haw:

Harveygod posted:

GIMP works pretty well. That's all I've ever used.

Unfortunately my new boss is :gay: for Apple and I'm forced to use an iMac at work. At least I have 2 monitors and I'm in the process of getting Photoshop installed on it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Finished my first online race! Oval on the USA International Speedway or something. Finished 8/13 and my SR went up! :dance: I didn't cause any wrecks. I spun out during warm up but that didn't seem to count. A car bumped into me as well and I grazed the walls a few times but it still went up. Figured I would've caused a huge crash at the first turn since I'm playing with a 360 controller but somebody else did instead.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

KingShibby posted:

Unfortunately my new boss is :gay: for Apple and I'm forced to use an iMac at work. At least I have 2 monitors and I'm in the process of getting Photoshop installed on it.
If that fails, gimp runs native on OSX.

Torabi posted:

Finished my first online race! Oval on the USA International Speedway or something. Finished 8/13 and my SR went up! :dance: I didn't cause any wrecks. I spun out during warm up but that didn't seem to count. A car bumped into me as well and I grazed the walls a few times but it still went up. Figured I would've caused a huge crash at the first turn since I'm playing with a 360 controller but somebody else did instead.

Congrats! Driving the street stocks in rookie with a controller is super easy. You won't have the finer control you get from a wheel, but it's plenty good enough for USA and Charlotte.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Torabi posted:

Yeah, I've had the same results with a controller on USA in Street Stock so far. I'm about a second off the pace because of the controller, (26.5-27) so I keep a high line when I see someone in my mirrors about to try a stupid pass. By my 7th race I already have a top 5. Instead of letting them crash me I just let them go and pick the position back up when they crash the next guy.

EDIT-

I've never touched a racing sim before in my life, but I watch enough actual racing to know divebombing a guy mid turn from a car length back at a short oval is going to cause a wreck every single time.. How so many other people don't seem to get this, I don't know. Also, lift when you see tire smoke ahead. Simple concepts, I thought.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 18, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Yeah the goal of rookie street stock isn't to win, but to not get wrecked by other rookie morons who want to win their first race.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started when the rookie car was the Legends, and holy poo poo that was intense and scary and near-impossible.

However, when they did road courses with the Legends on Week 13 I was really loving good at it and it was actually pretty drat fun.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I'll probably stick to Oval racing for now. At least until I get my hands on a proper wheel.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Season 3 schedule has been posted. Bitching in the IndyCar subforum has already commenced.

Some highlights:

• New Advanced Rookie Series: Production Car Challenge (Solstice & MX-5 Roadster on free tracks)
  • New C-class Series: Advanced MX-5 Cup
  • New C-class Series: Corvette Challenge with the Corvette C6R only
  • The Global Challenge series is being split into separate Fixed (D+ class) and Open (C+ class) series
  • Most importantly: DW12 :getin:

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Hell yes, the corvette challenge is back!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

KingShibby posted:

Season 3 schedule has been posted. Bitching in the IndyCar subforum has already commenced.
I don't see what's to complain about, unless it's because they're running the same tracks as the last 2 seasons, albeit in a different order. Then again the IndyCar forum can literally complain about ANYTHING.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Michigan , Kentucky, Homestead and Texas are all pretty bad in the old indycar at least. You just hug the bottom line and hope you don't get wrecked.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I don't see what's to complain about, unless it's because they're running the same tracks as the last 2 seasons, albeit in a different order. Then again the IndyCar forum can literally complain about ANYTHING.

I get fewer complaints in the men's league hockey games I ref than what they do in the IndyCar forum... and I refer to that league as Women's League with all the bitching they do...

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Holy Batman people drive like poo poo in rookies. Even worse than me. But I did just cause my first crash, so my SR went from 2.60 to 2.44 now after two races. :v:

By the way it keeps saying Contact(0x) -> Total 16/17x when I touch walls and stuff sometimes. What does that mean? Counting up until I will be penalized "for real"? Does the game give you 17 collisions that won't matter or something?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 18, 2014

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
If you get 17 incident points, you are disqualified. Hard contact is 4 points, so it will say something like Contact(4x) -> Total 4/17 if you crash into someone.

0x incidents matter for a couple of reasons. First of all, if you're doing a qualifying run or a time trial that requires clean laps, a 0x incident will invalidate the current lap. Secondly, incidents chain together for a few seconds. That means that if you brush someone's rear fender for a 0x and then they spin out and crash for a 4x a split second later, you will see something like this and end up with a 4x:

Contact (0x) -> Total 0/17
Contact (0x -> 4x) -> Total 4/17

It's frustrating when you survive a massive wreck but barely brush someone on the way by, causing a 4x, but that's the price of a no fault incident system.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I'm not sure but it seems like it carries over from the previous race? Since I'm pretty sure I didn't gently caress up 16 times in a single race.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

You can reach 16x with four incidents.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

ManicJason posted:

You can reach 16x with four incidents.

Ah, right. I suppose that was the case then. Also, one last thing, how many cars can be on a track at the same time before it starts to make instances of the same race? I can't seem to find a hard number on the site.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There's a sort of equation called Corners Per Incident. The more clean laps/corners you make, the better chance of your earlier incidents being wiped off the record. There are times where one could lose SR with a clean race, depending on how many incidents they've had in the past X races.

Worse comes to worse, you can always do Time Trials and other stuff until street stocks hit Charlotte. That track is much easier to get SR increases.

*edit* depends on the track and series. I think for rookies they split after 15-ish drivers. There really isn't an explanation about when splits hit, just that a race needs 8 drivers to be counted as official.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

[source]

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Needs more cars at once for maximum pile ups and wrecks.

Also for your enjoyment and/or cringing. Enjoy this clip from my second race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8URTH-AZBoE

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Torabi posted:

Needs more cars at once for maximum pile ups and wrecks.

Also for your enjoyment and/or cringing. Enjoy this clip from my second race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8URTH-AZBoE

ohh man, you've not seen nothing yet. Wait till Charlotte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Personperson14 posted:

ohh man, you've not seen nothing yet. Wait till Charlotte.

Like these morons.

"A wreck? Better keep my foot in. Lifting and taking evasive action is for pussies."

:downsbravo:

• Locked thread