Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
B.B. is still around too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ApwKs3eU9g

The guitar in this video is ugly.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Dirt posted:

I saw him live twice. Such a badass. Even when he was older, and he sat in a chair for the whole show, he was still awesome live.

Also holy poo poo he was only 70. He looked about 90.

That makes me think of when I randomly went and saw Pops Staples for a few bucks right before he died. He was sitting down and wearing some kind of velour tracksuit for the whole performance, but what the hell, he was like a thousand years old and still fun to watch.

The opening act, though, was some beardy white guy with a Chapman stick who played the same kind of jazz/elevator-music fusion as the surfboard-guitar Japanese guy this thread loves so much. Yeesh. Only time in the whole show he got applause was when he briefly stomped his distortion pedal on.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Ferroque posted:

The guitar in this video is ugly.
I dunno, I guess the person wanted an Ibanez-style shred guitar but not wanting to be the sorta person who has an Ibanez-style shred guitar, so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Anyway, after going through the thread I didn't see these aside from a post about buying one that no one responded to sooooo, AXL Badwaters:

All the mojo of leaving your guitar out in the sun for a decade/maybe setting it on fire. OTOH, it's probably less pretentious than regular "reliced" stuff, and I don't mind the last one.
Undecided on this one too, somehow:

Anyway, they're cheap guitars and play pretty well for the money (factory setup is garbage, of course), but even their non-relic stuff is sometimes kinda ugly – I've got a prime example of that myself, I'll get some pics up at some point in the near future I guess.

Oh, I also found this while I was looking for pictures of them, it's a Kramer:

As far as I know it actually predates the DOD meatbox but that still makes two companies that have looked at that finish and said "yeah we should use this".

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

incorrect

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Cucking Mama posted:

'sure I'll learn to play a guitar and do gay solos in 2014 when rap music exists' - some of you idiots

enjoy getting hosed in the rear end

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Skeleton King posted:

enjoy getting hosed in the rear end

quoting a post from literally last year, good job

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Allen Wren posted:

quoting a post from literally last year, good job

lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i just gotta defend guitar solos from being called homo at all costs

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's even dumber than the original monkeygrip. I'm in awe.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Ibanez is the only company who responds to demands of a grip and is like "eh gently caress it whatever", that's at least kind
of admirable.

E: god I hate ipads

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
But does it have a Flying V-esque traction pad on the side?

At the very least Dragonforce aren't really concerned about aesthetics

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

So, tobacco-burst. Yea or Nay?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The circa 1974 finished basement of guitar finishes?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I had some time to kill yesterday so I stopped in to my local Long and McQuade :canada:

Holy poo poo. It was like church for Dad rock. It was noon and the place was full of people noodling on new Les Pauls and Fenders.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Pondex posted:

Depends on the guitar;

Les Paul, maybe depending on how good the burst looks.
Strat, No.
Tele, only if it has binding.
Jazzmaster, only if it has Tort or a Goldguard.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Pondex posted:

When you play a guitar it's worth keeping in mind that people will judge you based on how the instrument looks, tobacco-burst says one of three things about you:

1) I brought this guitar from a pawn shop and I don't care what you think.

2) I am a blues dad who thinks that playing the same Clapton riffs over and over again is an acceptable use of my time.

3) I gently caress dogs.

I don't like tobacco-burst :colbert:.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I hate tobacco burst with a fiery passion, I would rather have someone spray paint my guitar pink with green polka dots.

Look at this poo poo. It is like someone was painting it and they said gently caress it, and just gave up half way. No transition between the black and yellow; ugh. I actually do not mind sunburst or cherry burst because at least the transition from red/black to gold looks like an actual transition. Not someone just vomiting yellow in the center of the guitar.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
And 'cause I love playing devil's advocate...

These are both awesome examples of Tobacco Burst, and if you can get a Les Paul to look like these then I don't think you'll find someone who has much problem with it outside of people who instinctively hate Tobacco Bursts.

That said, these are both examples of Gibson's Custom Shop, not normal production Les Pauls; so I'd say the likelihood of finding one of these on the wall of your local music store is much more unlikely as anybody would want.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Yeah, well those are better than most, but still pretty crummy if you ask me. (They are probably good guitars obviously, we are just talking finish) I especially hate the aesthetic choice to be all black around the poker chip and horn. It just looks so half assed and uncoordinated to me. The worst of the worst I have seen is Epiphone tobacco bursts, I have never seen one in person that did not look like utter garbage.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
the Taylor T3/B comes in a really nice tobacco burst but i agree for most guitars it's definitely the "I am boring" color choice

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, well those are better than most, but still pretty crummy if you ask me. (They are probably good guitars obviously, we are just talking finish) I especially hate the aesthetic choice to be all black around the poker chip and horn. It just looks so half assed and uncoordinated to me. The worst of the worst I have seen is Epiphone tobacco bursts, I have never seen one in person that did not look like utter garbage.

Fun Fact: The thick black around the edges is usually to hide the veneer underneath, the grain you can see is usually a <1mm veneer glued on top of a piece of poplar/whatever.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
It was/is used to hide shoddy work around the binding as well, or so I have read. I think it looks okay as long as it actually follows the edge of the guitar, without doing that awful teardrop thing that all three guitars above have. That just looks cheap and bad to me. As for it being purely a "bluesdad" finish, meh. There's so many MIM strats and telecasters (among other cheap sensible guitars) made in brown burst that I don't think it really qualifies in that regard. Flamed maple masked binding says (aspiring)bluesdad to me. Same with those metal knobs with the pearl set into them. And $100+ cables.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
If you just have to have a brown LP(I'm assuming it's for an LP), may I suggest a Root Beer Burst?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ferrous Wheel posted:

It was/is used to hide shoddy work around the binding as well, or so I have read. I think it looks okay as long as it actually follows the edge of the guitar, without doing that awful teardrop thing that all three guitars above have. That just looks cheap and bad to me. As for it being purely a "bluesdad" finish, meh. There's so many MIM strats and telecasters (among other cheap sensible guitars) made in brown burst that I don't think it really qualifies in that regard. Flamed maple masked binding says (aspiring)bluesdad to me. Same with those metal knobs with the pearl set into them. And $100+ cables.

Nah, Blues-Dads are more into Tobacco-Burst in my experience, it's more your Doctors and Dentists going for all the stupid blue flamed maple MOP buttons with gold plated monster-cable poo poo, although there is a pretty big crossover.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

unlawfulsoup posted:

I hate tobacco burst with a fiery passion, I would rather have someone spray paint my guitar pink with green polka dots.

Look at this poo poo. It is like someone was painting it and they said gently caress it, and just gave up half way. No transition between the black and yellow; ugh. I actually do not mind sunburst or cherry burst because at least the transition from red/black to gold looks like an actual transition. Not someone just vomiting yellow in the center of the guitar.

this is the only tobacco burst i like because it makes me think of a gold version of silverburst

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Could someone please post a comprehensive taxonomy of what kind of dad each guitar finish makes you? It would help especially if you could give the dad status for those full-guitar stickers of busty anime babes. TIA.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

This seems to belong here:

Some Pictures of Steven Seagal Playing Guitar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gilgameshback posted:

Could someone please post a comprehensive taxonomy of what kind of dad each guitar finish makes you? It would help especially if you could give the dad status for those full-guitar stickers of busty anime babes. TIA.

I have a flamed blue LP copy which puts me in Rockdad trying to live vicariously. (Not that old)

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Teisco-style Redburst forever!

I'm not even sure what they were going for with that pickguard (and those pickup shapes sure are something even for an old Japanese instrument).

Also glad to see Herman Li's stupid grip cutout get a mention, making less sense than monkey grips is an impressive feat.

He released an album, didn't he? I should listen to it sometime.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Collings 335 with every possible upgrade option= Petroleum Geologist Dad, in my limited experience.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

He's playing near me soon and I have been offered tickets for the bargain price of £20 each, lol.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

We've already seen the Wangcaster, but as we've established, if anyone has poorer taste than guitarists, it's bassists, and I don't think this was posted, so introducing (according to the headstock)
"The Bollocks" - possibly :nws: given the level of detail, so I'm hiding it behind that link.

I wanted to try to dig up more about it but given the name that's rather difficult, so all I found was a photoshop of someone playing it. Oh well.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

th1nk posted:

Teisco-style Redburst forever!

I'm not even sure what they were going for with that pickguard (and those pickup shapes sure are something even for an old Japanese instrument).

This thing is driving me nuts. the string spacing is all jacked up, the high e is practically falling off the fretboard, the low e has the exact opposite problem, the middle two strings aren't parallel behind the bridge and half of the strings don't line up with the pickup poles. (still would play)

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The neck is probably not on at the right angle. But that doesn't explain why the pole pieces don't line up with the strings.

Still would.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Honestly it's probably just that you're not supposed to use the central threading on those weird saddles it has (some of those strings form an odd angle between there and the tailpiece). It does have a four screw neck but as you can see in other pics from the reverb listing:

That might not be a guarantee that it went on straight in the first place.

Then again, I'm thinking from the fact that's a guitar lying face-first on concrete with nothing between them that the guitar hasn't been cared for that well and it probably is just alignment at the saddles.

And oh yeah, I would play the poo poo outta that thing. Not so easy to find in Australia, though, and their prices have gone up a fair bit with them becoming better known of late (even compared to a couple of years ago).

e: On looking at it more, those saddles don't look level, so that's probably part of it.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 22, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Main Bass Body Shapes:

Fender shapes

SG

Hofner

"I traded my meds for a bandsaw."

Did I miss any?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
thunder/firebird

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gilgameshback posted:

flame maple: still smokes weed whenever wifey's out shopping or at the spa
quilted maple: just made partner at the firm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Clitch posted:

Main Bass Body Shapes:

Fender shapes

SG

Hofner

"I traded my meds for a bandsaw."