Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Block the trem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

Block the trem?
I'm thinking about it. I don't do silly dive-bombs or crazy harmonics or stuff like that anymore, but there is something to be said for a gentle vibrato on a pretty chord when the song calls for it.

I'd have to look at the various trem-locking/blocking options before I decided what to do.

One thing a like about a hard tail is that bending one string up a whole step or a step and a half or two doesn't cause the other strings to go flat.

I will say that if I had to have guitars equipped with vibrato bridges I'm glad they're Ibanez Edge and Edge Pros, because those things are massive (not in the "they're huge" sense, but in the literal sense that they possess a lot of mass) and tend to be extremely stable and lovely to use when set up properly.

Since I started playing guitar back when pretty much any "superstrat" had to have some double-locking trem system on them, it's fair to say I'm just used to it and it doesn't bother me. That said, I still would like to see more six-string (H/S/H) Ibanezes with big hard-tail bridges on them like my RG471.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I blocked my custom 24 and so happy that I did. My old RG3 is a hard tail also. I never had a desire to use it, but considering the only thing in the PRS is a block of wood, it's easily changeable.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
I don't know where else to ask this so here it goes: talk me out of buying a pedal steel!

I have always wanted one and I'm driving over two hours away to the only place that has them. He has a slightly used Carter Starter which is the only thing in my price range currently. I have been looking for better used ones but there aren't many around. I don't know if I should drop a grand on something I might hate...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Traded off a free-to-me Bullet Strat for an interface.

:dance:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Sockington posted:

You loving shark!

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I only out a pickguard on my 2004 LP in the last year or two and much prefer it this way.

I stand before you an infidel.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

qball posted:

I stand before you an infidel.
took the pickguard off my red LP a month or two ago last time iostream was up in arms about it, I like it better with the pickguard too. REBELLION

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like to think I prefer pickguardless LPs but nope they always look like they're missing something without one. It's a nice little accent.

Come to think of it most guitars that have a pickguard stock look better as is to me.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like to think I prefer pickguardless LPs but nope they always look like they're missing something without one. It's a nice little accent.

Come to think of it most guitars that have a pickguard stock look better as is to me.

agreed, lose the pc keep the pg

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Keep 'em all!

I'm still dying for a MotorAve BelAire. So much metallic pickguard :swoon:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

Counterpoint, Sonic Blue Charvel San Dimas.

If I could get that or something similar with a hardtail bridge then I'd have a new favorite guitar.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Some seriously gorgeous LP's itt :love:

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Just finished this morning:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

SaintFu posted:

Just finished this morning:

I want it... I WANT IT!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It looks great, what-all is in it?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Allen Wren posted:

It looks great, what-all is in it?

Thanks.

The body is Warmoth’s hybrid Strat in poplar finished in Danish Oil. The neck is a Squier CV Telecaster neck off eBay. It has a Fender Hot Noiseless strat pickup at the neck. At the bridge it has a DiMarzio PAF that I bought in 1989 at a local music store (and god only knows how long it had been sitting on the shelf before that). The rest of the parts–as well as the pickups–were taken from an old, crappy parts guitar that I’ve had for years but with which I had become unhappy.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Southern Heel posted:

I swear, if I had to pick a guitar spec out of thing air I would choose:

Yeah, that hardtail, dual HB superstrat thing is MY JAM. I have an RGA121 with Liquifire/Crunch Labs in it and I'll never part with it. It's my favorite guitar of all time.

Sockington posted:

Now sell it and buy a 6i6. The gain staging for instruments is all hosed up on the 2i2.

umalt posted:

Counterpoint, Sonic Blue Charvel San Dimas.

If I could get that or something similar with a hardtail bridge then I'd have a new favorite guitar.

My guitar player has one of these in white that's been attacked by a blowtorch with one Super Distortion and a Floyd. It rules.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Now sell it and buy a 6i6. The gain staging for instruments is all hosed up on the 2i2.

But what about just mic'ing a guitar cabinet (all I indented to do)?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

I feel I should start a home for abandoned Les Paul pick guards.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Anybody want to give me their's for cheap? Mine has this gaudy '1960' on it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Sockington posted:

But what about just mic'ing a guitar cabinet (all I indented to do)?

That should be okay, actually. The 1/4" inputs clip, even when down all the way, when you plug any instrument into them directly. Switch to line level and it's too quiet, thin, yet still clips somehow. It's really bad.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

That should be okay, actually. The 1/4" inputs clip, even when down all the way, when you plug any instrument into them directly. Switch to line level and it's too quiet, thin, yet still clips somehow. It's really bad.

I bought a 2i4 yesterday and I'm running into this. An easy workaround was to simply turn the volume pot on my bass down about 1/3.

Pretty annoying, but hardly a dealbreaker. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Red Mustang III is really quite awesome. The color is ridiculous and I think it will take me a good 10 years to figure out half the stuff this amp is capable of doing. Blows my mind that I can go from reverb drenched surfer tone to super cleans in like one twist of the dial. My only miscalculation was not realizing how stupidly big the thing is compared to my old amp. Also it can get REALLY loud.

I posted the picture with the guitar because I am still a godless heathen that kept his poker chip and pick guard; you cannot stop us.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A wise man once said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Red Mustang III is really quite awesome. The color is ridiculous and I think it will take me a good 10 years to figure out half the stuff this amp is capable of doing. Blows my mind that I can go from reverb drenched surfer tone to super cleans in like one twist of the dial. My only miscalculation was not realizing how stupidly big the thing is compared to my old amp. Also it can get REALLY loud.

I posted the picture with the guitar because I am still a godless heathen that kept his poker chip and pick guard; you cannot stop us.

For some reason I've always thought using a Gibson guitar with a Fender amp is the height of perversion, and the sign of a depraved mind.

Ps: that's a nice amp.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

juche mane posted:

Anybody want to give me their's for cheap? Mine has this gaudy '1960' on it.
PM me your mailing address if you want the cream one.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Mine was a poors model and didn't even have a pickguard to remove. :guitar:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sadsack posted:

For some reason I've always thought using a Gibson guitar with a Fender amp is the height of perversion, and the sign of a depraved mind.

Ps: that's a nice amp.

It is an Agile. :D

I do have a Strat and a Tele so I can do that whole Fender on Fender thing too.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Geisladisk posted:

I bought a 2i4 yesterday and I'm running into this. An easy workaround was to simply turn the volume pot on my bass down about 1/3.

Pretty annoying, but hardly a dealbreaker. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
I have a 2i2 and have this issue with direct in with guitar, and used a similar solution when using direct in. However, I played with direct inputs on a friend's 2i4 and the pad setting on the inputs seemed to solve the problem.

donut fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 22, 2014

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

...and I think it will take me a good 10 years to figure out half the stuff this amp is capable of doing.

We got my son a Mustang II for Christmas a couple years ago, and we both had a good laugh over the fact that we had to update the amp's firmware before it would work with the included software. It's about the most absurd thing that could ever happen with a guitar amplifier. Barring that, though, the whole rig is really easy to get along with. If you haven't got the foot switch for it yet, plan on it as your next gear purchase. You'll thank yourself.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
So this came with the house we bought from the wife's grandparents. There are no names or markings on it and no one played it in the family. It was used purely as decoration in a basement. Any ideas?

The Manjo, Banjo-Mandolin, Banjolin, etc.

Rockstars don't cut their strings either bro. Lawsuit era headstock :lol:

I was debating dropping it off to the setup guy and having myself a kicking rad instrument for all that mandolin-ing I've been dying to try.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man you have to get that thing cleaned and setup, it's looks like so much fun.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Wow that is a cool find. How straight is the neck on it?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sockington posted:

So this came with the house we bought from the wife's grandparents. There are no names or markings on it and no one played it in the family. It was used purely as decoration in a basement. Any ideas?

The Manjo, Banjo-Mandolin, Banjolin, etc.

Rockstars don't cut their strings either bro. Lawsuit era headstock :lol:

I was debating dropping it off to the setup guy and having myself a kicking rad instrument for all that mandolin-ing I've been dying to try.

Give it to me. Give it to me NOW!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Holy gently caress you've found it: the one instrument capable of playing the most annoying cover of Wagon Wheel ever.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

comes along bort posted:

Holy gently caress you've found it: the one instrument capable of playing the most annoying cover of Wagon Wheel ever.

this! whenever someone plays it I tell them I love Darius Rucker and when they tell me it was not written by him, I refuse to believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
New addition to the family today:

I just finished my bathroom reno and turned 30. gently caress both of those things, so I got my self a brand new Gibson J-35, why 35? Well I honestly like the way this sounded more, the pickguard owns and the script Gibson logo owns even harder:

I really love the sound of the smaller body, sloped shoulder shape, it should really fill in the tone hole of my Taylor 614.