Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait so it's not okay for me to paint my Necrons pride colors and call when Fagocrons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Hollismason posted:

Wait so it's not okay for me to paint my Necrons pride colors and call when Fagocrons?

Only if the Space Wolf players get to wear their tails while playing.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

SRM posted:

One time I was at a store and a guy and his girlfriend were there and they both play together. He had the 69th something something homophobic Imperial Guard and she played her Sisters of Battle as the "fag hags" and they'd play together in doubles events and stuff.

This is actually kind of adorable in its own messed up way, like that child's funeral where the mourning (former) parents were in their full Juggalo regalia.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Bavius posted:

Can you airbrush it?

You can yeah, but keep in mind it dries insanely fast. Really fast.

I've been using Old Gold as my base layer and the usual GW washes just fine for my Black Legion. For my mechanicum army though I plan on giving oil washes a try.
But then again, I personally like having a very bright, eye catching gold.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Germ posted:

A bit of shameless cross-posting in an attempt to catch some of my fellow warhams. I have a kickstarter for resin terrain that went live earlier today. In addition to some area terrain and other basics, it also includes some simple resin objective markers that are designed to work with 40k (40mm, numbers 1 through 6 for tactical objectives, with an extra 2 and an extra 3 for The Scouring). Take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming

I'd jump all over this but shipping is ridiculously expensive to Canada. What gives?

Shipping a set of objective markers is more expensive than the object markers themselves... :canada:

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Monoliths posted:

Gentle reminder: that poo poo's pretty misogynistic and doesn't fly around here.

Hadn't really thought about it like that but that makes sense to me. To me it's mostly representative of stupid 4chan poo poo, which is pretty in-line with the dumb idiot I was as a teenager (back when I had that army.) In reality I cared a whole lot about their fluff and they're one of my favorite armies.

Excited to order some stuff this weekend and start this adventure.

Edit: Part of me knows I'm gonna get that DV box because those models are so cool.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 19, 2014

Germ
May 7, 2013

Enentol posted:

I'd jump all over this but shipping is ridiculously expensive to Canada. What gives?

Shipping a set of objective markers is more expensive than the object markers themselves... :canada:

The US postal service hates Canada. A bit less than it hates the rest of the world, but still a lot. International shipping from the US has gotten ridiculous over the past couple of years.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Zark, I love your army and everything about it. God drat dude. Even the way you write about it evokes the RT era fluff where Marines were just normal dudes in power armor instead of hyper-competent warrior monks.

Cheers! Let me know if you're ever in the UK with your dudes and we'll arrange a retro-off or something.

Also of interest I finished off my first batch of Diggas and big guy. They count as Chaos Cultists and a Daemon Prince allied to my Orks:

During deployment and post battle army shot (I need to spend some time taking better pics of the Orks):

Sadly they didn't achieve anything in the game besides being dead by turn 2. Partly because I hosed up and didn't realise I could Jink even when gliding with flyboy (first go at 7th), and partly cause my opponent was Guard with a loving Wyvern wiping out a squad a turn. Forging the narrative!

---

Loving that scenery Germ, I hope the KS does well (I see you hit target already). Will check with my housemates whether we need any more area terrain, but we already have a bunch of woods. Do the flat inserts work well with the Citadel woods? If so I may see about ordering some of those.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 18, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

That guy in the back is on full Beast Mode, I love it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Liquid gold paints are super shiny. Like, so shiny, that you don't need to do highlights. This causes a problem due to varnish- once you varnish over them, the reflectiveness goes away. Because of this I do my final highlights as my last stage of painting. Here's a side by side comparison of the results:

And here's what line highlighting with old gold silver looks like:

Mango Polo posted:

You can yeah, but keep in mind it dries insanely fast. Really fast.

I've been using Old Gold as my base layer and the usual GW washes just fine for my Black Legion. For my mechanicum army though I plan on giving oil washes a try.
But then again, I personally like having a very bright, eye catching gold.

I love oil washes and I am pumped to see you use them. I hate being a broken record in the painting thread.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

New preorders are up on GW. Liking the new box art on DV.

Also the city boards - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Realm-of-Battle-Sector-Imperialis

Was interested until I noticed they give you 3 copies each of 2 designs. gently caress that, if you're charging £200 then put 6 unique designs in!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I quite like that new RoB board. It'd make a nice change from the open fields original.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

Cheers! Let me know if you're ever in the UK with your dudes and we'll arrange a retro-off or something.

Also of interest I finished off my first batch of Diggas and big guy. They count as Chaos Cultists and a Daemon Prince allied to my Orks:

This is creative as gently caress!

One of the best count as things I've seen.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

New preorders are up on GW. Liking the new box art on DV.

Also the city boards - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Realm-of-Battle-Sector-Imperialis

Was interested until I noticed they give you 3 copies each of 2 designs. gently caress that, if you're charging £200 then put 6 unique designs in!

At the least I now have a reference to what a road in the Imperium looks like.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Germ posted:

A bit of shameless cross-posting in an attempt to catch some of my fellow warhams. I have a kickstarter for resin terrain that went live earlier today. In addition to some area terrain and other basics, it also includes some simple resin objective markers that are designed to work with 40k (40mm, numbers 1 through 6 for tactical objectives, with an extra 2 and an extra 3 for The Scouring). Take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming

The objective markers:

Some examples of the area-terrain system in action:

Edit: Aw hell, I almost forgot - the area terrain options include landmines! That way you can take a beautiful idyllic forest, and turn it grimdark and brutal.
Best of luck with this! Your stuff is seriously lovely, and I liked your vehicle wreck markers too.

ANAmal.net posted:

This is actually kind of adorable in its own messed up way, like that child's funeral where the mourning (former) parents were in their full Juggalo regalia.
Kind of one of those "maybe they just don't know better" sort of dealies. At least it's bringing them closer together?

Zark the Damned posted:

During deployment and post battle army shot (I need to spend some time taking better pics of the Orks):

Sadly they didn't achieve anything in the game besides being dead by turn 2. Partly because I hosed up and didn't realise I could Jink even when gliding with flyboy (first go at 7th), and partly cause my opponent was Guard with a loving Wyvern wiping out a squad a turn. Forging the narrative!

---

Loving that scenery Germ, I hope the KS does well (I see you hit target already). Will check with my housemates whether we need any more area terrain, but we already have a bunch of woods. Do the flat inserts work well with the Citadel woods? If so I may see about ordering some of those.
I'll keep it in mind! Some good retrohammer action would definitely be a good time. Also, that's a super creative bit of converting you've done up there. It's things like that that show how cool the allies system can be!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Germ posted:

The objective markers:

Edit: Aw hell, I almost forgot - the area terrain options include landmines! That way you can take a beautiful idyllic forest, and turn it grimdark and brutal.

I like it - going to pitch in some money on this. I'll also plug it on my shows FB page.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Zark the Damned posted:

---

Your gaming table looks like the wing of some fighter plane from WW2. :v:

And Germ, that terrain is brilliant.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Germ posted:

The objective markers:

These look boss as gently caress.

How much for UK shipping if I pitched $12?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Thanks, all!

Ghost Hand posted:

I like it - going to pitch in some money on this. I'll also plug it on my shows FB page.

Yea! Wait.... Hold on a second, you mean IC has a Facebook page? That's news. You guys should try to plug the Facebook page on the show sometime so folks could hear about it.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

How much for UK shipping if I pitched $12?

It's really best just not to say, but $20. The US postal service still remembers taxation without representation. I'm sorry. :( International shipping is almost impossible from the US these days.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Germ posted:

The objective markers:

This is approximately 40,000 different kinds of awesome. I love the thought of modular terrain patches like that, that's ridiculously clever!

Edit - I was just thinking that $60 for shipping is disgusting, then I realized I'm probably not the only one interested in the area. I think I'm going to get some of my friends together and we'll make a big single pledge together - that way we'll split the difference on the shipping.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 18, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Germ posted:

The objective markers:

That is, as the others have said, pretty drat cool. Bit of a pity the price point is a bit too high for as a Scandinavian, especially considering the shipping cost.
But best of you luck to you anyway. :)

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The secret shame of the chapter

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
You should try and find some distributors in other countries. I know the combat company in aus are doing distribution for the tablescape kickstarter so maybe get in touch with them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I never really looked at all what came with Dark Vengeance before, with a bit of modding, a extra tac and devastator squad and Cypher you'd have a decently rounded Fallen themed CSM army.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I never really looked at all what came with Dark Vengeance before, with a bit of modding, a extra tac and devastator squad and Cypher you'd have a decently rounded Fallen themed CSM army.

Not that anybody should worry about this when making whatever awesome warband they want to, but I'm pretty sure that one feature of the Fallen in the fluff is that they've dispersed into hiding, rather than operating as any sort of consolidated group. :spergin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, that terrain looks pretty solid. I'm probably going to wind up kicking some money that way.

JerryLee posted:

Not that anybody should worry about this when making whatever awesome warband they want to, but I'm pretty sure that one feature of the Fallen in the fluff is that they've dispersed into hiding, rather than operating as any sort of consolidated group. :spergin:
They've been known to work together under Cypher. :spergin:

While I'm pretty glad to see Dark Vengeance available again since it's such a nice box, I'm a little disappointed they just crammed an aspiring champion in. It's not that it's a bad model, I picked one up a while back and made a raptor lord (that I still need to paint :v:) out of it with a bunch of converting. I was just hoping for something new like maybe a sorcerer. I guess they must not have been selling well.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

They've been known to work together under Cypher. :spergin:

Serious? If so, then my bad. I sort of got the impression that Cypher shows up at apparently unrelated fights that are important to him for reasons only he knows, does some gun-kata, and then vanishes again. The idea of him leading a visible, established force seems to go against what I know of the character, but it's not a big deal.

quote:

While I'm pretty glad to see Dark Vengeance available again since it's such a nice box, I'm a little disappointed they just crammed an aspiring champion in. It's not that it's a bad model, I picked one up a while back and made a raptor lord (that I still need to paint :v:) out of it with a bunch of converting. I was just hoping for something new like maybe a sorcerer. I guess they must not have been selling well.

From what I can tell the problem with the aspiring champion is he's a model no one asked for. A Lord is going to probably have terminator armor or be riding something. The ones that you'd be likely to take as power armor on foot all have better models for them. Heck, the very designation of the model--'aspiring champion'--refers to a non-independent squad leader, which is something you usually just make out of the special bits in the box when you're building the squad. Or you use a leftover DV guy. It's generally not something you buy a $25 (I think) kit for (really you shouldn't buy $25 single model kits for ICs, either, but it's a little bit easier to get someone to drink the kool-aid on that when it's the centerpiece of your entire army, or when the box has good value due to having a lot of extra bits, which is another thing the mono-pose aspiring champion has against it).

Then again you say you bought one just to convert, so uhh :shepface: (don't take this personally, we're all embarrassed over how much we've given GW, even if some of us got out earlier than others)

high six
Feb 6, 2010

quote:

Serious? If so, then my bad. I sort of got the impression that Cypher shows up at apparently unrelated fights that are important to him for reasons only he knows, does some gun-kata, and then vanishes again. The idea of him leading a visible, established force seems to go against what I know of the character, but it's not a big deal.

There's some pretty cool fluff about him in the dataslate. He'll show up leading chaos warbands, sometimes he'll work with Imperial Guard, etc.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JerryLee posted:

In the 3rd edition book (the first one, not the much-loved 3.5 one) he could take a squad of "Fallen Angels" which were veteran CSM who had ATSKNF. He ALSO had ATSKNF which was pretty funny, as that made them the one squad in the army you could rely on consistently.

He also had Animosity, which meant any squad he joined did diddly squat if they rolled a 1 at the beginning of the turn. But since the Fallen Angel squad didn't suffer from that...well, it was kind of a moot point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, the fluff has him calling in favors from the Fallen when the objective is two much for just himself. It also mentions just how time he spends disguised as a regular dude/marine/inquisitor. In game it's represented by a formation of 1-3 units of chosen that lose access to any sort of chaos gift, mutation or artifact but gain infiltrate and 'They Shall Know No Fear'.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 19, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

To be fair, it's not like they gather in huge numbers. It'd be like a squad or two, tops.

(Edit: Welp, I didn't intend to dog-pile like this. Sorry about that.)

JerryLee posted:

From what I can tell the problem with the aspiring champion is he's a model no one asked for. A Lord is going to probably have terminator armor or be riding something. The ones that you'd be likely to take as power armor on foot all have better models for them. Heck, the very designation of the model--'aspiring champion'--refers to a non-independent squad leader, which is something you usually just make out of the special bits in the box when you're building the squad. Or you use a leftover DV guy. It's generally not something you buy a $25 (I think) kit for (really you shouldn't buy $25 single model kits for ICs, either, but it's a little bit easier to get someone to drink the kool-aid on that when it's the centerpiece of your entire army, or when the box has good value due to having a lot of extra bits, which is another thing the mono-pose aspiring champion has against it).

Then again you say you bought one just to convert, so uhh :shepface: (don't take this personally, we're all embarrassed over how much we've given GW, even if some of us got out earlier than others)
I get what you're saying. These are all valid reasons why the model simply wasn't moving at its $20 price-point. Packaging it in the new Dark Vengeance will at least get rid of their stockpile.

Like I said, I used the model for the guy shown below and I was really happy with it. I'm just going to use this conversation as an excuse to post more words than I should about it. It's really detailed though my version has parts from like 6-7 kits. Cutting out the head was a bitch and I had to smooth the collar out while filling in some gaps, you just can't see the greenstuff in the picture. I also had to build a mount for the jump pack since the model had a weird port on the back. The weapons were chosen to emulate my demon prince though I just count the sword as a lightning claw. Said sword was left over from a sorcerer I converted and the powerfist is a hybrid of a warp talon lightning claw and the fingers off of a terminator lord's powerfist. Hell, I even replaced his toes. :shepface: I had a lot of fun building this guy and the spare parts, like the axe, were used on other character models. I don't really mind the $5 I lost by not buying the original model off of ebay though that's where I get most of my conversion fodder.

An old picture, but nothing's changed. I still need to get around to building a light box at some point.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

That raptor lord is sincerely awesome, no argument against the outcome, but looking at it I feel like you could have just used all raptor box components as the base for the metals and other distinctive bits you added, and probably come out ahead both money and effort wise :shrug:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I really like that Raptor Lord. I also happen to think the Aspiring Champion model is incredibly cool and I'm glad that they added it to the DV set because I think I'm going to get one.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I like the aspiring champion a lot. I use him as a lord with the Khorne axe. I have the metal Khorne lord too, but I actually prefer the AC model.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Is it me or does the new bundle include 'the rules' book from the 7th edition rule bundle thing?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

BULBASAUR posted:

Is it me or does the new bundle include 'the rules' book from the 7th edition rule bundle thing?

The new Dark Vengeance or the new space wolves/ork box? Both should include The Rules (in mini-book form I think)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So I just bought Fix's Thousand Sons. The army he sent over was 3rd edition as gently caress, and thus completely awesome. I won't be diving into these guys fully yet, but I wanted to do a test model for the rank-and-file dudes since I haven't done Thousand Sons yet. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, using a mix of Kantor and Lothern Blue for the body.

I also like how the army insignia came out, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to freehand that on every model. That said, I'll probably get faster as I go.

I think eventually I'm gonna do a few with flames like the ones shown in the old Chaos 2nd edition codex. Those look pretty rad.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
shame about the rules those look really good.

i think I have a few thousand sons upgrade kits somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

So I just bought Fix's Thousand Sons. The army he sent over was 3rd edition as gently caress, and thus completely awesome. I won't be diving into these guys fully yet, but I wanted to do a test model for the rank-and-file dudes since I haven't done Thousand Sons yet. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, using a mix of Kantor and Lothern Blue for the body.

I also like how the army insignia came out, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to freehand that on every model. That said, I'll probably get faster as I go.

I think eventually I'm gonna do a few with flames like the ones shown in the old Chaos 2nd edition codex. Those look pretty rad.

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

• Locked thread