Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Be careful with that. You are doubling your chances of them having a Genius but also increasing chances for Imbecile and other bad genetic traits through incest.

Not sure about the King vassaled to a King thing. I didn't think it was possible and then clicking around nearby realms I found a king of Denmark vassaled to a king of Norway so maybe it is.

They had a daughter already with the genius trait. Crisis averted. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

vulturesrow posted:

They had a daughter already with the genius trait. Crisis averted. :smug:

I accidentally ok'd a marriage between two dynasty members because I wasn't paying attention. One genius and one normal. By the time I noticed they had three children - Genius, Slow, and Imbecile.

In the wrong order. :negative:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

I accidentally ok'd a marriage between two dynasty members because I wasn't paying attention. One genius and one normal. By the time I noticed they had three children - Genius, Slow, and Imbecile.

In the wrong order. :negative:

You stabbed them didn't you?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My dynasty has a lot of intermarriage but I figure it's okay because for the most part you have to go 8 or 9 parents up to get to the common ancestor. I handed off the extra crowns in Hispania to dynasty members way back when so there's several branches of the family that are more or less independent now. One great thing about kinsman-kings is that it inflates the dynasty's prestige, which in turn gets you better marriages and boatloads of prestige if you marry kinsman.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

Correct. In order for them to become your vassal you need to have a higher rank than them - in this case you'd need to be Emperor.

That's not necessarily a reason to not press their claim. It gets you a king-level permanent ally. All their heirs (and presumably the majority of future claimants) will also be of your dynasty, making it easier to claim Scotland if/when you gain an empire title.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

vulturesrow posted:

You stabbed them didn't you?

Their father was my heir, and he was pretty terrible anyway, so I just stabbed HIM. They were all girls so the heirdom went to my other son. Crisis averted, imbecile grandaughter does not become Empress.

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?
I have the hardest decision to make in my current ironman game. I have elective and two great heirs. I could first go with my first born daughter, who is a genius and married matrilineally to the King of Bavaria.

My other heir is my demon spawn son who has no stat below 20 and 31 intrigue. He is married to a daughter of the current king of Asturias, so I'm about 3 stabs away from her being queen.

Any thoughts on who I should pick. I'm currently going with the Demon spawn son because those stats are too good and the free witch armies would be amazing. Obligatory he will die before he is 25.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

chippocrates posted:

That's not necessarily a reason to not press their claim. It gets you a king-level permanent ally. All their heirs (and presumably the majority of future claimants) will also be of your dynasty, making it easier to claim Scotland if/when you gain an empire title.

Thanks for that. Might be a good time to do so since the Queen of Scotland is tied up fighting England and Norway right now. I already have Wales and Ireland under my control (except for two counties in Wales) and Scotland seemed to be the next logical choice to take over.

Anyone have anything to say on my second question? (advice on building holdings)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

iLurk posted:

I have the hardest decision to make in my current ironman game. I have elective and two great heirs. I could first go with my first born daughter, who is a genius and married matrilineally to the King of Bavaria.

My other heir is my demon spawn son who has no stat below 20 and 31 intrigue. He is married to a daughter of the current king of Asturias, so I'm about 3 stabs away from her being queen.

Any thoughts on who I should pick. I'm currently going with the Demon spawn son because those stats are too good and the free witch armies would be amazing. Obligatory he will die before he is 25.

Definitely go with the 31 intrigue guy. The instant he is ruler start a gigantic murder spree.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

iLurk posted:

Your demonspawn son will kill his sister at some point, unless he's the heir. So just make him the heir and your daughter will live.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SeaTard posted:

iLurk posted:

Your demonspawn son will kill his sister at some point, unless he's the heir. So just make him the heir and your daughter will live.

If she takes over he will kill her so he could take over; if he takes over she will live and you can make her his heir so when he invariably dies at 25 she will take over.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Are random silent crashes to desktop just unavoidable at the empire level? I wasn't crashing at all ever until a couple days ago, now its every 30 mins or so.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:frogout:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, that was fun. I'll be damned if I'm sticking around to manage that nightmare, though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Are random silent crashes to desktop just unavoidable at the empire level? I wasn't crashing at all ever until a couple days ago, now its every 30 mins or so.

I don't think so, I get crashes to desktop after a few hours maybe. And they are usually helpful crashes, that allow me to tear myself away from the game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Post-apoc mod-related question: The mod utilizes a modified form of the African Faces DLC, as having a setting based on North America is going to have African-Americans in a prominent role. The vanilla African Faces DLC, however, has them occasionally decked out in feathers and facepaint and whatnot, which doesn't go too well with the general feel of the American setting as has been constructed. To that end, there's currently a modified version of the DLC's relevant .gfx file sitting in the interface folder, which uses the actual faces from the African Faces DLC but then changes all clothing entries to reference European graphics files. This works out great-- if you have the African Faces DLC. Otherwise, all cultures that utilize this modified graphics set end up invisible, since the mod still references African Faces DLC material directly from the DLC itself alongside the modified files in the mod folder.

Essentially, the mod currently references some DLC material, which messes things up for people who don't have that DLC.

There's two or three solutions to this problem:

1. Get rid of the modified .gfx file. African-Americans will reference the vanilla African Faces DLC if it's enabled, and will otherwise default to the basic Arab faces.
2. Keep the modified .gfx file in and strongly note that anybody who wants to play with the mod needs the relevant DLC, otherwise the game will be wonky
3. Do Option 1, but provide the modified .gfx as a separate download and strongly recommend it for anyone who has the African Faces DLC.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Can't you have the modified .gfx file reference back to the arab faces if they don't have the DLC anyway?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheMcD posted:

Well, that was fun. I'll be damned if I'm sticking around to manage that nightmare, though.

Missing Aquitaine :colbert:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Do option two and point out which file for the cheapskates to delete.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Torrannor posted:

Missing Aquitaine :colbert:

If you want to get technical, I'm also missing a province in Lombardia. I really can't be arsed to manage that chaotic empire I just made, though - I just now took over the HRE, and it's a god drat mess, mostly because I made it that way.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Managed to do this in my Gotland republic game... until some random Catholic Duke in Aquitane inherited the Empire and spoilt my pretty borders :(

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, never mind, I forgot about diplo-vasssalization.

Now I'm not touching that save anymore, though. I hate taking over empires I didn't meticulously organize myself, and the HRE is the worst possible offender.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

lenoon posted:

Put chancellor on incite revolt in English capital.

Wouldn't this only make his vassal barons mad?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

grancheater posted:

Wouldn't this only make his vassal barons mad?

I think it's anyone in the province, including his whole court and possibly his council. Handy if you want to get more courtiers for murder plots though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Can't you have the modified .gfx file reference back to the arab faces if they don't have the DLC anyway?
That's not how it seems to be working out when people who don't have the DLC test it out-- I think what happens is that as soon as CK2 finds the modified .gfx file in the mod folder, it assumes everything inside it as valid and treats the references to invalid destinations as weird errors and not a sign that the DLC isn't actually there.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Rumda posted:

Do option two and point out which file for the cheapskates to delete.

This is the best solution imo. Isn't the DLC like 99 cents now? If they don't want to bother they can take 10 seconds and go in and delete it themselves.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So as India conquering all of dejure India, Persia, and Africa, I was taking over Britannia and had managed to steal out the fragmented bits of Wales from the Welsh and the English, and to get my worthless heir to shut up, gave the kingdom to him--he also picked up a merchant republic by accident as a vassal (I'm trying to turn England and Wales into giant blobby republics with my dynasty ruling them, and failing miserably because their houses on both sides died out). Only a few years pass and he gets assassinated (by who I have no idea), and all of a sudden I get the notice from Steam for the achievement "Merchant Prince". My son had amassed 42 thousand gold, and I'd inherited it. Well, there goes my money problems until 1444!

:stare:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I'm doing a merchant republic game, and I've had that much money come and go a couple times, massing boats and mercenaries really drains your cash, as does building and upgrading holdings and trade posts.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I managed to get about 50k from somewhere, it was entirely spent within about 30 years. There should really be some kind of 'the Builder' nickname, because i built a shitload of castles and towns.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason it is almost impossible to get a member of your dynasty to become a merchant prince with a huge family trade zone. Even the one relative I got his family to hold onto the title (mostly through giving him the entire demense off the bat, giving him lots of money, and killing his rivals off), he has a grand total of ONE trade post, while the other dozen or so are split amongst his rivals. This is after almost 200 years, too.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sampatrick posted:

Could you send me a link for the SVN version at eternal.phobia.2atgmail.com

forkis posted:

poo poo, count me in. I've been waiting for months for the India expansion to lux.

Sent off a link/email with the SVN.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So I'm getting into Iron Man mode. I did the restore Rome thing, but it was local and didn't count for achievements. Anyway when I got bored I decided to do a Norse thing in the cloud, so it would count. It's been going really well (I lucked out and reformed as Bjorn Ironside before immediately losing 2/3 holy sites) and I was well into adding the rest of Scandinavia to the my Norse empire of Pyrdian... anyway, I just went to load it and it says BROKEN SAVEGAME. Since the whole thing is on there end, I was wondering if there was some way to bug report it, or if there was any other way to possibly recover? If not that's a major downside to Ironman mode.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hell yeah I'm King of Norway and Sweden, reformed the Norse faith, and have a ton of gold and holdings. Now to *thunk*

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

During the pursuit phase, too. So it's less of a death in combat and more "falling off your horse after the battle." Ouch.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So I'm about to make what I consider to be my first big move in my current game. Going to press a family members weak claim on the kingdom of Scotland while she's fighting an allied Norway and England. I want to make sure I am as prepared as possible and am looking for any advice. I'm going to maximize my vassals opinion of me as much as I can, I have my marshal in my capital raising troops, and I know I should let my treasury build up some. Any general advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if it seems blindingly obvious keep in mind I'm very new to the game so go for it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

vulturesrow posted:

So I'm about to make what I consider to be my first big move in my current game. Going to press a family members weak claim on the kingdom of Scotland while she's fighting an allied Norway and England. I want to make sure I am as prepared as possible and am looking for any advice. I'm going to maximize my vassals opinion of me as much as I can, I have my marshal in my capital raising troops, and I know I should let my treasury build up some. Any general advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if it seems blindingly obvious keep in mind I'm very new to the game so go for it.

Scope out how many troops Scotland has (go to the realm tree button on the king's page, it's the rightmost one of the three in the top), and if your army is bigger than his, and you have good commanders, crush his puny rear end and break him early so you're just playing whack-a-mole and sieging his holdings. If you're hitting near the capital and he raises mercs, smack em early and they won't get a chance to get enough morale to fight back, which means you just hosed him out of a good amount of cash AND troops.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Captain Novolin posted:

Scope out how many troops Scotland has (go to the realm tree button on the king's page, it's the rightmost one of the three in the top), and if your army is bigger than his, and you have good commanders, crush his puny rear end and break him early so you're just playing whack-a-mole and sieging his holdings. If you're hitting near the capital and he raises mercs, smack em early and they won't get a chance to get enough morale to fight back, which means you just hosed him out of a good amount of cash AND troops.

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have shift my efforts because somehow that claim disappeared. Going to war with Norway to settle one of the de jure claims on the Kingdom Of Wales I have.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You know, after you milk successive Popes for thousands of gold with your obscene amounts of leftover piety, a despot like me starts to feel a little I dunno

Indebted?

Maybe I should treat the Pope to something nice like I dunno go punch the HRE in the snozz to depose their stupid Antipope or something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Oblivious posted:

You know, after you milk successive Popes for thousands of gold with your obscene amounts of leftover piety, a despot like me starts to feel a little I dunno

Indebted?

Maybe I should treat the Pope to something nice like I dunno go punch the HRE in the snozz to depose their stupid Antipope or something.

Nah gently caress that if he wants something in return he can ask for it. Or what are you, some sort of nerd, Hugo? You don't deserve that True Fire Ru oh my god someone needs to make a Suikoden mod for CK2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mister Adequate posted:

Nah gently caress that if he wants something in return he can ask for it. Or what are you, some sort of nerd, Hugo? You don't deserve that True Fire Ru oh my god someone needs to make a Suikoden mod for CK2

They really do. They really really do.

(Catholicism 4 lyfe)

• Locked thread