Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

StandardVC10 posted:

SHUT UP! SHUT UP!

e: they lionize literally anyone who fucks up on camera though

Well, there are certainly plenty of examples of feigned liberal outrage over obvious -and not actually offensive- jokes that they can all hide behind the "outraged liberal media types" excuse.

During the last election, there was that 80-something year old man who made a comment about "Back in my day, birth control was keeping an aspirin between your knees" that the reporter got all indignant about.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My go to example of Penn being a moron is when he declared recycling to be bullshit because it wasn't profitable as if that was the point of doing it.

It wasn't "Not profitable" it was "has no financial advantage" i.e. has the same cost to recycle paper as to make new, and his example was paper, and he's exactly right in that point. Trees are the ultimate renewable resource (as other other fast-growing plants we can use to make paper).

My go-to example was his "stop being so uptight about sanitation, It's perfectly fine to sit down in puddles of urine."

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is pretty clearly demonstrated when they say "Gays already have the freedom to marry, they just have to marry a member of the opposite sex" without a hint of irony. In their America you are free to do anything as long as they approve. You also have the freedom to stop other people from doing anything they don't approve of. It's freedom all the way down!

Also the whole "Freedom of religion, not freedom from religion", when they want to use the legal system to force Christian rules on people.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My go to example of Penn being a moron is when he declared recycling to be bullshit because it wasn't profitable as if that was the point of doing it.

Penn Jillette is one of the few libertarian people I don't actively dislike because, unlike a lot of people, he really genuinely believes that libertarian nonsense will help people. He's also really hard line on some stuff that other libertarians ignore or let their own personal feelings get the better of them over. Immigration, diversity, marriage, separation of church and state, and equality of gender are some of the things that he defends really hard. I just wish he could make the leap that government enforcement is required in order to improve the state of those things.

By all accounts he's also just one of the sweetest, nicest, and most easygoing guys. He's also not really dumb in the ways that a lot of libertarians tend to be dumb. He just has this blind faith in humanity, human ingenuity, science, and the ability for markets to sort things out. He's extremely naive for sure, but he is quite knowledgable and most of the time he uses that knowledge as an escape hatch to rationalize away a lot of the negative effects of the lack of government intervention.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That whole show really. I had fond memories of it until it was on Netflix for awhile, and basically every episode is them playing a clip of someone with a view they don't like, then Penn completely mischaracterizing their view and putting words in their mouths, and then Penn calling them assholes. He's such a loving douchebag to people nice enough to agree to be on his program.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PostNouveau posted:

That whole show really. I had fond memories of it until it was on Netflix for awhile, and basically every episode is them playing a clip of someone with a view they don't like, then Penn completely mischaracterizing their view and putting words in their mouths, and then Penn calling them assholes. He's such a loving douchebag to people nice enough to agree to be on his program.

Like, to the extent that IIRC they even started mocking the overuse of "...and then there's this rear end in a top hat:".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Throw in some random nudity.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

ErIog posted:

Penn Jillette is one of the few libertarian people I don't actively dislike because, unlike a lot of people, he really genuinely believes that libertarian nonsense will help people. He's also really hard line on some stuff that other libertarians ignore or let their own personal feelings get the better of them over. Immigration, diversity, marriage, separation of church and state, and equality of gender are some of the things that he defends really hard. I just wish he could make the leap that government enforcement is required in order to improve the state of those things.

By all accounts he's also just one of the sweetest, nicest, and most easygoing guys. He's also not really dumb in the ways that a lot of libertarians tend to be dumb. He just has this blind faith in humanity, human ingenuity, science, and the ability for markets to sort things out. He's extremely naive for sure, but he is quite knowledgable and most of the time he uses that knowledge as an escape hatch to rationalize away a lot of the negative effects of the lack of government intervention.

I dunno man, I read a poker book coauthored by him and he comes off as a giant rear end in a top hat. Albeit the book was about cheating (and detecting cheating) in poker games but his basic position was, "If you aren't willing to rig the game why the gently caress are you even playing? Of course cheating is stealing but gently caress you, if the cops come knocking I'm grabbing all I can and making a run for it!" There wasn't clearly defined writer's portions so maybe it was mostly the other guy but it'd be really hard for me to respect someone who thinks it's perfectly reasonable to cheat others out of money as long as they think they can get away with it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

^^^^^^^^^^^^I only know him through his show and a couple youtube videos, I have never read anything by him.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a hard time disliking Penn, he has alot of stupid wrong opinions but he is seems like such a a likable charismatic guy. He lacks any of the bigotry and spite motivations that other right wingers do and at least he has alot good opinions as well. That being said watch his episodes on Wal-Mart, taxes, or second hand smoke if you want to see some real dumb poo poo. I wish he would just stick to laughing at people who believe in UFO's and doomsday cultists.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 19, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Anubis posted:

"If you aren't willing to rig the game why the gently caress are you even playing? Of course cheating is stealing but gently caress you, if the cops come knocking I'm grabbing all I can and making a run for it!"

quote:

someone who thinks it's perfectly reasonable to cheat others out of money as long as they think they can get away with it.

Libertarianism.txt

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Axetrain posted:

That being said watch his episodes on Wal-Mart.

Anti-union talk, and defense of sweat shops aside, I wasn't too cool with the "Print Shop" couple they interviewed. The cracks about it being a job "A monkey could do", and insulting the elderly over being greeters is some lame poo poo. Until you've actually done it yourself? You really have no room to talk.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

3,000 views.

Video uploaded 4 weeks ago.

:laugh:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anti-union talk, and defense of sweat shops aside, I wasn't too cool with the "Print Shop" couple they interviewed. The cracks about it being a job "A monkey could do", and insulting the elderly over being greeters is some lame poo poo. Until you've actually done it yourself? You really have no room to talk.

The dumbest part was that those 2 were just engaging in the very free market he espouses. His whole complaint that you shouldn't criticize a company for their business practices is a criticism of the print shop's business practices.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also the implication was that those two are representative of everybody who doesn't like Wal-Mart.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The best episode of Bullshit was the one where they went after Code Pink by showing a bunch of faded hippies having a potluck and talking about stuff while Jillette had a screaming fit in voice-over. LOOK AT THESE STUPID loving ASSHOLES EATING DINNER.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

The best episode of Bullshit was the one where they went after Code Pink by showing a bunch of faded hippies having a potluck and talking about stuff while Jillette had a screaming fit in voice-over. LOOK AT THESE STUPID loving ASSHOLES EATING DINNER.

Yeah, that for me was a 'showbiz douche collides with real people behaving normally' moment. Oh my GOD! They're sitting around EATING and TALKING ABOUT THINGS!!!

At least they mocked the actually-batshit-insane 'move forward America.'

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Jillette also lives in the second ugliest, stupidest house I've ever seen. I motion he be declared an overall fartknocker and his memory be darned.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Jillette also lives in the second ugliest, stupidest house I've ever seen.
Well now you have to tell us what the ugliest is.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Ok in all honesty Penn Jillette's "Slammer" is the actual worst; I just wanted an excuse to post Scott Adams' house.

dare ye approach the tower of the Dilbermancer

Here's Jillette's romper room bullshit, for comparison.

And the thread's lifetime achievement award goes to Rush Limbaugh's rococo bedroom. I maintain he missed a gigantic opportunity by not putting little cigar chomping El Rushbo cherubs all over the place.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 19, 2014

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think I would grow to hate that tower.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, another thing that bothers me is that Penn & Teller are really good magicians. I don't know much about magic, so I don't know if they're technically great or anything, but they put on an awesome show. Everytime I see them do a magic performance, I'm thoroughly entertained, but in the back of my mind there's always that voice going "libertarian shitheels."

They did a show for BBC called "Fool Us" that's really, really good if you can find it. Other magicians perform tricks in front of Penn and Teller, and if they can't figure out how the trick is done, the magician gets flown out to Vegas to open for them for a week.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The only Penn and Teller magic show I've seen involved a huge human-sized habitrail set piece that they teased for the entire act. At the very end they announced they needed a volunteer to go into it for their final trick. Then they locked the poor schmo (who was probably a plant in retrospect) in a small section of it and started dropping rats in with him.

It was hilarious.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They did a show for BBC called "Fool Us" that's really, really good if you can find it. Other magicians perform tricks in front of Penn and Teller, and if they can't figure out how the trick is done, the magician gets flown out to Vegas to open for them for a week.

I actually saw this the other day. Definitely an enjoyable show. Would be nice if he stuck with doing that instead of providing awful opinions on right-wing media outlets.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

P&T are pretty rad folks as human beings in person, in spite of some lovely political views though. They're real friendly and chatty with fans.

Penn is known to provoke his liberal friends though, to make them stand up for their views. He digs his liberal friends a lot though so I guess him an ok Joe.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 19, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I might be wrong but I don't think trees are the "ultimate renewable resource" when we're destroying them at a much faster rate than they can mature and replace the very lungs of this little planet.
But what do I know? Junk pine might be just fine.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Back in high school, I used to listen to a lot of WLUP-FM in Chicago when it was mostly a comedy/talk station. I remember one week the usual nighttime host was out, so a guy named Tony Fitzpatrick took over the slot. He's an actor and artist, and his main claim to fame is that he's in virtually all of Jonathan Demme's movies somewhere.

Fitzpatrick was also tight with Penn Jillette, so Jillette came in one night and ended up co-hosting. My abiding memory of the guy, for no real reason, is that a lady called in to tell him that she wanted to go out with him while he was in town, and so he starts interviewing her for compatibility. The first question was something like, "Have you in any way accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into your heart as your savior?" Beat. "Because that's a deal-breaker."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

It wasn't "Not profitable" it was "has no financial advantage" i.e. has the same cost to recycle paper as to make new, and his example was paper, and he's exactly right in that point. Trees are the ultimate renewable resource (as other other fast-growing plants we can use to make paper).

quote:

I might be wrong but I don't think trees are the "ultimate renewable resource" when we're destroying them at a much faster rate than they can mature and replace the very lungs of this little planet.
But what do I know? Junk pine might be just fine.
IMO, recycling paper was never about running out of paper, it was about waste and landfills and deforestation.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

because we all know that financial advantage is the greatest factor in any decision ever made

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Here's Jillette's romper room bullshit, for comparison.

I'm entirely ok with this stage magician's wizard tower.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9264391/my-secret-lust-for-right-wing-women/

quote:

I recently had sex with a woman who writes for the Guardian and in the heat of the moment I said, ‘I love you — you filthy slut!’ I meant it as a compliment! Honest! She stopped the proceedings and gave me a long lecture about how the ‘verbal demeaning of women’ was totally unacceptable. I had a similar experience with a woman of the right. (I won’t repeat what I said because it’s too embarrassing.) But she just laughed and said, ‘Oh, you do say the sweetest things to a girl!’

Women of the right will not tolerate sexism; but nor do they have that tendency of some left-wing women always to play the victim of sexism. They have a robust, get-on-with-it attitude to life that makes them less prone to the neurotic, whiney, oh-poor-me melodrama that has infected so much thinking of left-leaning feminists.

quote:

I have slept with women who write for the New Statesman and women who write for the Daily Telegraph and I can’t honestly claim that one lot is better than the other. But there are certain post-coital benefits that come with women of the right. They never subject a man to the music of Nick Drake or Nina Simone. As good libertarians, they don’t mind if you smoke in bed or pick up a newspaper or roll over and go to sleep — come to think of it, that’s what they are more likely to do. Nor do you ever have to lie in bed and watch some mawkish film about Nelson Mandela or one made by Michael Moore. (They don’t think you’re demented because you’d rather watch Die Hard.) And right-wing women never think that leaving the toilet seat up is a passive-aggressive act of patriarchy.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

things that never happened for 400, alex

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

moths posted:

The window you see there is his office; positioned in the window is an honest-to-poo poo authentic human skeleton that Penn likes to have there sort of "staring" out at people who show up.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Here's another article from that guy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1239987/As-half-million-middle-aged-adults-parents-50-year-old-warns-seriously-risk-sanity.html

quote:

I know this because for more than two-and-a-half years I've been living with my elderly parents. And in that time, I've nearly killed my mother and given my father a heart attack. I've seen my hair turn totally grey, my hopes turn to ashes, and my sex life bite the dust.

Dude was 50 when he wrote that.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Conservatives have sex like this, liberals have sex like this.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I doubt they were Real Conservatives if they were having pre-marital sex.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
This is the politics version of the "bag of sand" scene from The 40-Year Old Virgin. It's just so wrong and laughable in literally every respect, I don't know how to respond.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

moths posted:

Could be taller... I mean how does he expect to project his power with a tower that small?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Heh, good ol DnD Don't-Laugh-at-this-Libertarian-Jokester-I-Liked-in-High-School/College Police. I think much of the bombast and factual inaccuracies in Bullshit! were the result of the format and gimmick of the show. After all, the premise is that they're supposed to prove whatever the topic of the week is is definitively bullshit. In his podcast, "Penn's Sunday School", Penn Jillette seems way more unsure of his beliefs and thus far more willing to caveat the gently caress out every assertion that he is unsure about. His rant about Paul Krugman in an episode a few months ago is a good demonstration of this. While he was criticizing Krugman he constantly qualified it with statements such as "Now he obviously knows infinitely more about economics than me" and "I'm a big dumb loving idiot" and "I know I'm wildly misstating his views here." So as far as libertarians go, he at least has some degree of self awareness about the holes in the ideology and in his own knowledge (a self-awareness that he did not demonstrate on Bullshit, presumably due to the nature of the show). I am under the impression that being a capital L Libertarian is just such an important part of his identity that he overlooks the canyon sized gaps in reasoning that constitutes the basic premisses of the ideology.

That said, I stopped watching Bullshit! around Season 2 or 3 when it became "Things Libertarians loving Hate!"

Sidenote: He is a good entertainer in Vegas and I bought one of his metal Bill of Rights (with the Fourth Amendment in bold red letters) that he sold at his show solely for the purpose of it being found by the TSA. This was during the transition to body scanners however, so I put it in my side pocket to see if the body scanners would find it. It did not. So if you ever want to sneak flat metal objects (e.g. razor blades) on a plane, there is your one weird trick that TSA agents hate.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bullshit is as good as it is bad. When they were mocking 9/11 truthers, ghost hunters, and tarot readers it was hilarious and awesome, and when they went on libertarian rants it was absolutely terrible.

I would hang out with Penn in a heartbeat though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Bullshit is as good as it is bad. When they were mocking 9/11 truthers, ghost hunters, and tarot readers it was hilarious and awesome, and when they went on libertarian rants it was absolutely terrible.

I would hang out with Penn in a heartbeat though.

Penn put up all the episodes on youtube in case people wanted to look at some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Could be taller... I mean how does he expect to project his power with a tower that small?
Assuming that's the desert around Vegas, I think he doesn't want to spend his power projecting AC into it. If I was rich as gently caress and worked on The Strip, I would buy a helicopter to get to work and build a slightly smaller house someplace that humans are supposed to live. But I guess he saves money on landscaping. How much could that place be worth on the market, who would buy that thing in the desert? Maybe a corporation who comes to Vegas for conventions a lot and wants a party house?