Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

speaking of, i have a bunch of mail from 2001 where the character encoding got messed up at some migration or other. whats the easiest way to fix the encoding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Google’s revenue for the quarter was $15.96 billion, an increase of 22 percent over the year-ago quarter. Net revenue, which excludes payments to the company’s advertising partners, was $12.71 billion, up from $11.1 billion last year. Analysts expected gross revenue of $15.6 billion.

Net income in the second quarter rose nearly 6 percent to $3.42 billion, or $4.99 a share. Excluding the cost of stock options and the related tax benefits, Google’s profit was $6.08 a share. Analysts had expected $6.23 a share, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Shares of Google’s stock rose about 1 percent in after-hours trading to $589.25.

Despite Google’s continuing mobile dilemma, its advertising competitors are still small in its rearview mirror. Google accounted for nearly 32 percent of online global ad spending in 2013, according to estimates from eMarketer. Facebook is in second place, accounting for nearly 6 percent of 2013’s $120.05 billion online global advertising market.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
which are the good seasons of the simpsons?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Snapchat A Titty posted:

speaking of, i have a bunch of mail from 2001 where the character encoding got messed up at some migration or other. whats the easiest way to fix the encoding?

Encode::Guess. this is not a joke, it really is close to your only option.

if your codings got mangled that means you were sending non-ascii mail w/out mime. you're in a world of pain

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Granbar posted:

none

watch rick and morty

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Encode::Guess. this is not a joke, it really is close to your only option.

if your codings got mangled that means you were sending non-ascii mail w/out mime. you're in a world of pain

i meant more like, how do i actually do it. theyre all sitting around in a gmail account & in mail.app so i guess maybe i download them with Net::IMAP, feed them through that guesser & put them back up? ugh that seems like way more effort than im willing to put into it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i meant more like, how do i actually do it. theyre all sitting around in a gmail account & in mail.app so i guess maybe i download them with Net::IMAP, feed them through that guesser & put them back up? ugh that seems like way more effort than im willing to put into it

use net::imap to download each one, guess its encoding, reformat as mime, and upload again.

a lot of them will not survive the mime conversion 100% intact, but mostly-intact beats totally unreadable

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theyre mostly readable as is, its basically just æøå that got messed up

theyre probably macos roman mistakenly parsed as ascii or unicode

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 18, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Granbar posted:

first eight

some episodes from nine, i think

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Granbar posted:

hey can i export all my old gmail mail to my icloud mail in an easy manner

thx

super easy. open up your favorite non-web-based mail client. load both account on there. drag emails from one to the other. done.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

super easy. open up your favorite non-web-based mail client. load both account on there. drag emails from one to the other. done.

ya this

sole remaining use case for thunderbird

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
use imapfilter on a vps with good network connectivity

it works really well for migrating accounts and you can code up custom rules if you want something fancier

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Granbar posted:

3 to the first ep of 9, the latest seasons in this range being the peak

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

and its up and down from there, mostly just down down down down

WACKY HOMER

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

poty posted:

3 to the first ep of 9, the latest seasons in this range being the peak

Lisa's Sax is the 3rd episode of season 9 and is easily one of the better episodes. It just follows the most hated episode ever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

prefect posted:

first eight

some episodes from nine, i think

they had an underappreciated second wind in like seasons 15-18 (to no small part because a number of the competitors that people left and started around season 9 had failed and they got some good writers back)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

tractor fanatic posted:

Lisa's Sax is the 3rd episode of season 9 and is easily one of the better episodes. It just follows the most hated episode ever

agreed but you have to draw the line somewhere

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/davidbauer/status/490164619269660673

«Edward Snowden, do you use Google?» – «HAHAHAHAHA. No.» http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jul/17/edward-snowden-video-interview … [8:30]

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Granbar posted:

seasons ~3 up through ~9, as mentioned

also

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

watch rick and morty

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol google's chief business officer has left for softbank

chief business officer is almost as laffo as twitter's chief revenue officer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

does twitter have such a position

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

does twitter have such a position

yeah but it's hard to keep employees who have to sit upside down all day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:toot:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cremnob posted:

twitter's chief revenue officer

hey this is just business realism. twitter has plenty of revenue. there's all kinds of revenue to manage and report on. pretty charts and graphs. armies of spreadsheets about revenue. what they lack is profit. tons of revenue but they operate at a loss.

a chief financial officer would yell at them. so here's the new shiny position that denies financial gravity: a chief revenue officer who never pouts about their utter inability to earn a legitimate profit.

:q:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

how do i quote

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the huge manatee

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

google, the company that answers those "wouldn't it be cool if..." questions.

turns out answer is no most of the time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Google is promising to fix a bug in Chrome for Windows that has been draining laptop batteries for years. The problem was first reported in 2010, but a recent investigation by Forbes has bumped the issue to the top of Google’s Chrome bug report list. Chrome’s battery drain problem affects Windows users as Google sets a parameter for processor-intensive tasks much lower than Microsoft recommends. The result means laptop processors are waking up far more often than they should when Chrome is open on Windows and a webpage is idle. Internet Explorer and Firefox don't exhibit the same battery drain problem.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/18/5914975/google-chrome-windows-laptop-battery-drain-fix

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

googlespurg disaster

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Athletic Footjob posted:

googlesperg disaster

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

Cardboard Box A posted:

Google is promising to fix a bug in Chrome for Windows that has been draining laptop batteries for years. The problem was first reported in 2010, but a recent investigation by Forbes has bumped the issue to the top of Google’s Chrome bug report list. Chrome’s battery drain problem affects Windows users as Google sets a parameter for processor-intensive tasks much lower than Microsoft recommends. The result means laptop processors are waking up far more often than they should when Chrome is open on Windows and a webpage is idle. Internet Explorer and Firefox don't exhibit the same battery drain problem.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/18/5914975/google-chrome-windows-laptop-battery-drain-fix

so shaggar was right about chrome after all?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i thought shaggar was saying that the reason chrome is poo poo on mac os wasnt the fault of google for being bad programmers

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cardboard Box A posted:

see, forbes isn't completely worthless after all

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

known but completely ignored for four years, only acted on when it hits mainstream news.

sounds about right.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shifty Pony posted:

known but completely ignored for four years, only acted on when it hits mainstream news.

sounds about right.

pretty much

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

i thought shaggar was saying that the reason chrome is poo poo on mac os wasnt the fault of google for being bad programmers

its poo poo everywhere because webkit is poo poo. the difference between chrome and safari is the multithreading hack in chrome that eats cpu/battery

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
the best browsers are safari and ie on their respective platforms

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

what about on linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

why would you want to browse websites on a server?

• Locked thread