Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
I'm a bit confused. I only use Transpose either 1) after Flare or 2) when I have a Firestarter during Umbral, after my mana regens to full

Is there something I'm missing?

big sperma shot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Rei_ posted:

I use ACT but I almost use it entirely for alerts on raid boss attacks and status effects.

As for tanking with a controller, that's how I do it on my PC. The only problem is I can never find a good button for hold-to-talk in Mumble. I have my controller bound so LB+RB and RB+LB bring up different bars, and I keep Defiance off of them entirely on like my Menu/Mounts bar so I don't accidentally hit it ever.

I have push-to-talk set to Control and just rest my hands with the controller on my desk tapping the key with my pinkie when necessary. I know a few people who just don't bother and have mumble use it's voice activation although that's always seemed a bit finicky for me to want to use.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

big sperma shot posted:

I'm a bit confused. I only use Transpose either 1) after Flare or 2) when I have a Firestarter during Umbral, after my mana regens to full

Is there something I'm missing?

Yes, that's correct. Flare -> Transpose to regen mana, or Transpose before a Firestarter to buff the Firestarter's damage at no cost.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Alright. So I should try and get out the Firestarter before my Blizzard for ~0.7ssm, but if I miss it I should Transpose before using the Firestarter?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

big sperma shot posted:

Alright. So I should try and get out the Firestarter before my Blizzard for ~0.7ssm, but if I miss it I should Transpose before using the Firestarter?

You'll get a feeling for when a Firestarter usually comes. Effectively I wait around 200-300ms just pressing the key 1-2 times quickly.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Thanks bud

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I guess I've been doin' it wrong this whole time because I've just been using a Firestarter procs during umbral ice to get myself into Astral Fire more quickly, but it makes a lot more sense to hit Transpose first so I'm totally gonna start doin' that.

Summoner question: How crucial is pet movement during boss fights? Like, say, for example, Titan EX. Can I just leave Garuda-Egi in one place and trust it to not die or do I need to worry about moving both myself and my pet during things like Mountain Buster, etc? Because that sounds like a huge pain in the rear end if I need to worry about two things when everyone else has to worry about one.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Daily Forecast posted:

I guess I've been doin' it wrong this whole time because I've just been using a Firestarter procs during umbral ice to get myself into Astral Fire more quickly, but it makes a lot more sense to hit Transpose first so I'm totally gonna start doin' that.

I have to admit that I only found out about that trick well into 2.2. It's a rare case since I usually consume my Fire 3 proc before casting Blizzard 3 but it's definitely a nice thing to do when you mistime.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I just joined the pubbie hunt TS thing today for a while and it was pretty neat. How come we never did something like that for hunts?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Hunt is really fun. It's a loving trainwreck, completely broken and it's all but made any other form of content other than CT2/Coil completely obsolete for getting cool loot, but it's SO MUCH FUN.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

goldjas posted:

I just joined the pubbie hunt TS thing today for a while and it was pretty neat. How come we never did something like that for hunts?

We do, except it's not open to the public.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rei_ posted:

The Hunt is really fun. It's a loving trainwreck, completely broken and it's all but made any other form of content other than CT2/Coil completely obsolete for getting cool loot, but it's SO MUCH FUN.

Well this is the catch up patch so Hunts are how you catch up, with free ilvl 110 upgrades and dirt cheap AF+1 for all your alts!

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

KaneTW posted:

We do, except it's not open to the public.

But we don't? At least, not as far as I've heard of, and I've asked around. Unless there's some specific way to get into it that I've just never heard of or something. If there is, my next question is, how do we get into it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

goldjas posted:

Yeah I have to admit I'm pretty impressed by the amount of coordination involved. If only hunts weren't so god drat stupid as is.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is Sword Oath still better than Shield Oath? I hadn't played the game since my 30 days after beta and on a run of Cutter's Cry a few days ago, a DF member would not stop hounding me about why I wouldn't switch to it.

v I'm glad I did that job quest then :downsgun:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 19, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only times to be in sword oath are when you're not tanking at the moment, or you're so far ahead in aggro you'll never lose it in a million years.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is Sword Oath still better than Shield Oath? I hadn't played the game since my 30 days after beta and on a run of Cutter's Cry a few days ago, a DF member would not stop hounding me about why I wouldn't switch to it.

v I'm glad I did that job quest then :downsgun:

Sword Oath is still very useful in any case where you do not need the extra survivability of Shield Oath, which can be quite frequent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Daily Forecast posted:

Summoner question: How crucial is pet movement during boss fights? Like, say, for example, Titan EX. Can I just leave Garuda-Egi in one place and trust it to not die or do I need to worry about moving both myself and my pet during things like Mountain Buster, etc? Because that sounds like a huge pain in the rear end if I need to worry about two things when everyone else has to worry about one.

Depends on the fight. For the Titan fights, you can just Place Garuda to one of the sides before the pull and she'll be fine the entire fight, besides maybe needing an occasional Sustain. Generally, there's only a few times you need to worry about pet placement, including CT1 (when it'll stay in poison/whatever Acheron's new name is's Flare) and T5 (for fireball soaking).

I've binded my side mouse buttons so that the front one is Obey, having Garuda-egi attack the intended target, and the back one is Steady, which has it stop attacking and, if not Placed earlier, returns it to your side. Steady's mainly useful for times where you don't want your dumb bird to get aggro. For Shift + Mouse Buttons, I have Place mainly for T5 convenience. which leaves your pet in that place until you use Heel, which returns it to your side (and is my other Shift + mouse button). Ctrl + Mouse Buttons are Garuda's non-Contagion attacks, since the AoE one's useful for dungeons and the knockback one is useful for PvP or Leviathan EX. Contagion I have in my hotbar with my fifty other useful abilities.

Also, is it right that I'm hearing that Ifrit-egi is actually useful at times now?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd say its workable, you'll have 2-3 basic combo strings you'll want easy access to, a few very important utility abilities (shield lob/tomahawk, provoke, flash/overpower) and then a bunch of important but not-spammed cooldowns you can shove onto alternate set ups.

It'd take some adjustment but I'm sure its doable.

Slightly late, but I main a PLD on my PS4. My set up is something like this:

R2 +...
X: Cycle forward (next enemy)
O: Fast Blade
Triangle: Savage Blade
Square: Rage of Halone
Left: Spirits within
Up: Circle of Scorn
Right: Shield Lob
Down: Flash

L2 + ...
X: Shield Bash
O: Provoke
Triangle: Tempered Will
Square: Sentinel
Left: Fight or Flight
Up: Bulwark
Right: Awareness
Down: Rampart

On my second bar I have sword/shield oath and most of the other non-GCD skills if I need them (dual shoulder button setup). It's worked for me so far.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Friendly macro reminder for PLDs who may want to save a slot.

/macroicon "Shield Oath"
/ac "Shield Oath" <me>
/ac "Sword Oath" <me>

Press it once, get Shield, press it again, Sword, again, Shield. Saves you a slot and generally just useful.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

goldjas posted:

It reminded me a lot of EVE, I was enjoying having like 200 people in a channel all coordinating and actually getting full credit on everything - even B ranks. I do like when they're all "We pull at 3:25pm ET!" because that literally never happens. They did manage to reset a few that got pulled way early though.

Before I got in that teamspeak though, hunts were an impenetrable mystery and complete waste of time.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So how quickly can you earn seals if you get into a teamspeak or whatever and start grinding? Because i'd love to get that Storm Elite's Scale Coat, but 1000 seals is kind of a lot when you just go by daily marks and random hunts you stumble across.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Freak Futanari posted:

So how quickly can you earn seals if you get into a teamspeak or whatever and start grinding? Because i'd love to get that Storm Elite's Scale Coat, but 1000 seals is kind of a lot when you just go by daily marks and random hunts you stumble across.

I hopped on this morning at around 8 and it's noon and I have 712 seals and a Bloodsplattered Log drop.

It's really a loving blast.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Freak Futanari posted:

There were no S ranks spawned yesterday, so I only hunted around for about an hour (maybe a bit less) looking for A ranks with them but I made about 120 seals and hundreds of myth. The B ranks are kind of a huge waste of time for allied seals, since they only give 5.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rei_ posted:

I hopped on this morning at around 8 and it's noon and I have 712 seals and a Bloodsplattered Log drop.

It's really a loving blast.

So at that rate i can expect to grind for like 6 hours and get enough seals? Sounds pretty neat. I might have to actually install teamspeak and try to get invited, then.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What's the BIS equipment for a summoner who want to raid Second Coil? Should I try to have accuracy on right or left side items?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Baba Yaga's awesome SMN guide on the FFgoons forum has some "BiS" gear setups, including a "So you want to start doing 2nd Coil" set

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just jumped back in because of the free weekend after having not played since right before 2.1 hit. I've been loosely following the major patch notes, but I still feel overwhelmed with all of the new stuff. Time to buckle down and start catching up. :getin:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

What's the BIS equipment for a summoner who want to raid Second Coil? Should I try to have accuracy on right or left side items?

Depends, how much money do you have? Because if you're willing to shell out the dough just go with every slot crafted and meld up to snuff. Save up some soldiery and get a UAT from CT2 for a Book of Spades in the meantime, and if you're willing to do hunts grind out a sand for it as well. Weapons will always be the biggest upgrade any class can make, so always try to upgrade that first.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Hijacking the SMN discussion for a bit!

I play SCH most of the time and recently got a UAT from ST. I'd like to use this opportunity to transition into playing SMN and have a few questions:

1. How do I register for ffgoons? I wanna read that SMN guide mentioned but I always get ''slow down, turbo'' when registering.

2. What's the logical increments/upgrade progression gear-wise for a SMN?

3. What are the accuracy caps for each coil and how do I balance those out as I progress through the coils? Keep gear-swapping?

4. Is {The Hunt} the best way for me to get stuff to unweather my UAT weapon? I've not done any raids since a little before 2.1 but I could get into raiding once per week if it's worth the effort.

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Hunts are your fastest way to get everything except high allagan gear, syrcus tower gear, and PVP points. You get unreal amounts of myth and soldiery plus you can pretty reliably get a couple of sands or oils in a week.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you do hunts you end up capping soldiery in about a day which makes running dungeons mostly pointless unless you are doing them for gear to glamour which I will not judge you for because I'm trying to save up 4k seals to buy one of each Maelstrom elite chest pieces plus i guess the tank skirt. Oh yeah and I guess along the way I'll get enough books to upgrade my soldiery pieces but that's like not even my main goal anymore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Samba De Amigo posted:

I just assumed it was to activate all the previous accounts that qualify for free weekend. While the maintenance seems kinda long for that, I do imagine it's a large number of players being flagged as able to play.

There is no reason activating accounts should require a downtime unless they simply didn't have anything coded to allowed it and the downtime was to deploy said code. You can do a db check and add x time to each relevant account, among other methods.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Cripes there's a lot of new content. It's exhausting just to read over it all.

I bailed right as 2.25 hit. At the time I quit, when I hit 50 on a new class my workflow was to equip my relevant Thornmarch weapon, i90 tank accessories, and run CT over and over until I was fully equipped for more serious content, then glam it all, pick a new class, and start again. Is it the case now, then, that I should be running hunts ad nauseam to do whatever?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Eej posted:

If you do hunts you end up capping soldiery in about a day which makes running dungeons mostly pointless unless you are doing them for gear to glamour which I will not judge you for because I'm trying to save up 4k seals to buy one of each Maelstrom elite chest pieces plus i guess the tank skirt. Oh yeah and I guess along the way I'll get enough books to upgrade my soldiery pieces but that's like not even my main goal anymore.

Yeah I just got the DOW chestpiece to glamour over my noct loria and after like almost 2k seals in hunts I think I'm ready to never hunt again for ... like a little bit? A week maybe? idk. I still have one blood-splattered log sitting in my inventory and the idea of not having the other two is bothering me.

Lookin' loving radical tho

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 20, 2014

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If I use a "fantasia" to change my appearance, does it include a name change as well?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

more like a DORK

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Annath posted:

If I use a "fantasia" to change my appearance, does it include a name change as well?

Nope. The only way to change your name at the moment is to server transfer to a server that has a character with that exact name already. And then transfer back. So $36 and three days of cooldown on the transfer.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rei_ posted:

Yeah I just got the DOW chestpiece to glamour over my noct loria and after like almost 2k seals in hunts I think I'm ready to never hunt again for ... like a little bit? A week maybe? idk. I still have one blood-splattered log sitting in my inventory and the idea of not having the other two is bothering me.

Lookin' loving radical tho

I am so god drat jealous. I swear to god that i will grind my rear end off as soon as i get into a good LS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nope. The only way to change your name at the moment is to server transfer to a server that has a character with that exact name already. And then transfer back. So $36 and three days of cooldown on the transfer.

That's lame. I guess I'm stuck then. Oh well. Playin' a green haired spearwife isn't that bad.

• Locked thread