Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Nektu posted:

Look at modern sport fencing to see the difference: technique still develops in that because people are still using it in earnest (according to its rules).

It's why the suicide lunge is a thing in sport fencing but you obviously wouldn't do it in a real sword fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Rabhadh posted:

It's why the suicide lunge is a thing in sport fencing but you obviously wouldn't do it in a real sword fight.
:shrug:
Different rules of the game.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

To be fair, there /are/ weapons with approximate hilts that are perpendicular to the blade (the langes messer, for example). However, longswords (and similar weapons) probably wouldn't work with a nagel-like protrusion. Speaking from experience, the blade can be more easily swung parallel to the ground when a thumb is pressed against the flat of the blade ("thumbing the blade"), giving you a platform upon which to rest the sword, giving you a more planar (and thus more effective) cut. Techniques with the messer require this, and a nagel facing in (that is, over the thumb when gripping the handle) would prevent, or at the very least, hinder this. Not to mention how awkward it would be to carry a sword of that profile.

Speaking of which, here is a GREAT video (very awesome production quality and technique) on Italian messer/messer and dagger/longsword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDP2maXCzt4

Nektu posted:

:shrug:
Different rules of the game.

Sport fencing is an entirely different beast, and I really hate it when HEMA-nerds get all butt hurt about it. It's like hunters getting mad at paintball enthusiasts.

I joined the fencing club at my school and introduced them to HEMA (longsword, rapier and eventually messer), and probably the biggest hurdle for them is considering the life-or-death implications of true duels. It wasn't a game for points, it was first about making sure you didn't die, and THEN making sure you killed your opponent. I had the opposite problem, where I was too concerned about worrying for my "life" that I didn't get I could just stab someone first and get some points.

HEMA is currently struggling with this as well as they work on scoring for tournaments. The issue is that you want to reward someone who is able to not only beat their opponent, but who can protect themselves effectively in the process. At the last tournament I went to, three "double hits" during a match resulted in both fighters gaining zero points for the match. "Afterblows" (a hit landing after someone else's initial effective attack) were allowed, and both fighters would receive points. The problem is that an afterblow is (in my opinion) just as deadly as a double hit. If the goal is to create a life or death simulator, as well as a metric for who fought well in a particular round, then afterblows should be dealt with as harshly as doublehits. In the end you failed to defend yourself and you may have received a fatal wound in the process.

The thing is, as with anything, if you build a system around something you are going to get people who will find effective ways to use the system to their advantage. We want to ensure people don't develop tactics that abuse the rule systems and allow them to gain an advantage, even though in a realistic situation they may not have survived. Hitting with the flat of the blade, for instance, was a struggle for a while (before I started in HEMA), but now they have rules against them (hitting with the flat of the blade is a "low quality" hit, that will only generate a minimal amount of points). The big worry is that people will develop bad fighting habits.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 17, 2014

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Question relating to the early modern period: Were there any political assassinations in that era? Heads of state or very senior officials killed by foreign assassins or extremists of the kind that concern us today? Paradox games have taught me that everyone was murderin' each other all the time up until 1450 whereupon they finally figured out palace security and then it was totally safe until the industrial era, where it again became murder central.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm not an early modern historian, but I do know there were several attempts to assassinate Elizabeth I of England.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thanqol posted:

Question relating to the early modern period: Were there any political assassinations in that era? Heads of state or very senior officials killed by foreign assassins or extremists of the kind that concern us today? Paradox games have taught me that everyone was murderin' each other all the time up until 1450 whereupon they finally figured out palace security and then it was totally safe until the industrial era, where it again became murder central.
Everyone was still murdering each other all the time.

This event led to a moral panic about wheellocks (you can hide a gun that's ready to fire under your clothing! you can keep it ready to fire for a long time! you can sneak around with it at night and nobody will see or smell the burning match to give your position away! etc etc) kind of like the time when we thought Glocks were invisible to metal detectors or something.

During their Religious Wars, France was...not very good at keeping their kings alive.

When an asset becomes a liability, a prudent head of state should do what's necessary.

There was also at least one attempt to assassinate Gustavus Adolphus, but I don't know anything about it.

Also, while Europe was having the Thirty Years' War, the Ottoman Empire was having a lot of problems (due in part to the same climate change that may have helped lead to the Thirty Years' War), including rapid turnover of heads of state.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 17, 2014

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Dirty Job posted:

Sport fencing is an entirely different beast, and I really hate it when HEMA-nerds get all butt hurt about it. It's like hunters getting mad at paintball enthusiasts.

I joined the fencing club at my school and introduced them to HEMA (longsword, rapier and eventually messer), and probably the biggest hurdle for them is considering the life-or-death implications of true duels. It wasn't a game for points, it was first about making sure you didn't die, and THEN making sure you killed your opponent. I had the opposite problem, where I was too concerned about worrying for my "life" that I didn't get I could just stab someone first and get some points.

At the last tournament I went to, three "double hits" during a match resulted in both fighters gaining zero points for the match. "Afterblows" (a hit landing after someone else's initial effective attack) were allowed, and both fighters would receive points. The problem is that an afterblow is (in my opinion) just as deadly as a double hit. If the goal is to create a life or death simulator, as well as a metric for who fought well in a particular round, then afterblows should be dealt with as harshly as doublehits. In the end you failed to defend yourself and you may have received a fatal wound in the process.
Some interesting information about "deadly" wounds though:

(:nms: if you cant stand medical descriptions of the effects of bladed weapons. No images or somesuch though).
The Dubious Quick Kill, part 1
The Dubious Quick Kill, part 2

The author crossreferenced descriptions of classical duels with modern forensic information about blade wounds and tries to find out if the more gruesome descriptions of duels can be true.

The result: people die suprisingly hard, even when hit with a meter of sharp steel. Its also basically impossible to predict the effect a hit will have - be it that the mortally wounded fighter would stay alive and active for a few more seconds (more than enough to counterattack) up to a man that survived and stayed active for several days after he got stabbed in the heart.

I guess that means that those discussions that often pop up after a double hit ("Yea, but my attack was totally more deadly!") are completely useless.

You could also spin that into an argument to support giving points for afterblows: the attacker has to protect himself not only until he is in the target, but until he is in the clear again.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Thanqol posted:

And of course there's the origin of the term...

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Dirty Job posted:

Dudes get het up about it because a lot of sport fencers, at least speaking from my experience and those others have shared, talk about the sport as if it is a martial art. What's more you've got books like Richard Cohen's By the Sword which is completely disparaging of medieval swordsmanship, and is of course written by a sport fencer.

Stephen Hand, one of the best interpreters out there, actually wrote a pretty thorough dissection of the book's flaws in the amazon reviews section, for those who want to read it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Blue Star posted:

How do we know how old certain stories and stuff are? Many times I'll see someone say that, while the earliest known written copy of a story or poem may be from some specific century, the actual story itself is actually older. But how do they know, if all they have is that copy?

I don't really know very much about the medieval period, but my understanding is that a lot of the times the earliest record will give some sort of context. For example, they might explicitly say that they are transcribing it from another text (which did not itself survive). You might in turn know the rough dates when that work existed, from other references, but not actually have a surviving copy of it. For actual first written records, you get similar context - someone might write that they are recording a story told to them by a man who learned it from his grandfather, for example, telling us that it was an existing story at that time.

For example, in the 1920s and 1930s, John Lomax began recording American folk songs. This was the first time that these were recorded and, I think, for many it was the first time the lyrics were even written down. But from the context of the collection, we know that this wasn't the first time those songs were sung, as many of the performers had been singing them for years or learned them from their families as children. So we don't know exactly when they were created, but we have a firm record and a good idea that it predates.

Hopefully someone with better information weighs in, I didn't want your question to vanish in swordchat.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Speaking very broadly, sources are usually dated based on references within the texts or evidence from the manuscript. For example, some of the sources I've been working on recently contain references like "in that year, Louis the Pious was crowned," so obviously you can assume that the source must have been written some time after that. For some sources, however, we really have no idea when they were written. For example, Beowulf only survives in one manuscript and scholars have argued for various dates between the eighth century and the early eleventh century. It's actually pretty heated topic for an academic dispute. A friend of mine went to a Beowulf conference and told me people almost came to blows over it.

It gets much more tricky when it comes to written sources which are supposed to have originated as oral stories. For example, Etzil (Attila), is a common character in medieval German epics, but you can't really use references to him to arrive at a concrete date. Stories also change over time, especially once people start writing them down, so I think it's sort of futile to try and recover the original story. The Nibelungenlied might trace its origins to a much older tradition, but its still quintessentially a product of the thirteenth century.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Currently watching a hilarious documentary on the inquisition. Highlights so far include a map of the holy roman empire including well known constituents Turkey and Scandinavia. Looking forward to the bit teased at the start where a wiccan lady talks about the persecution of her religion in the middle ages :allears: I'm no scholar but something isn't quite right here!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Baracula posted:

Currently watching a hilarious documentary on the inquisition. Highlights so far include a map of the holy roman empire including well known constituents Turkey and Scandinavia. Looking forward to the bit teased at the start where a wiccan lady talks about the persecution of her religion in the middle ages :allears: I'm no scholar but something isn't quite right here!

Hahaha

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
'God will sort them out'. Take a drink.

E: ugly dirty Catholic Knights scowling at clean saintly looking Cathars.

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 17, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Baracula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tym0MObFpTI&t=55s

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Baracula posted:

'God will sort them out'. Take a drink.

E: ugly dirty Catholic Knights scowling at clean saintly looking Cathars.

Argh, it's "Kill them, God knows his own." (Caedite eos, novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius). I'm so mad about Latin mistranslations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

deadking posted:

Argh, it's "Kill them, God knows his own." (Caedite eos, novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius). I'm so mad about Latin mistranslations.

Literally the least wrong thing in this documentary.

E: figuratively

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baracula posted:

Post the link drat it!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

fspades posted:

Post the link drat it!

It's on Yesterday right now on actual tv. Inquisition: Cathars and Templars.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baracula posted:

It's on Yesterday right now on actual tv. Inquisition: Cathars and Templars.

quote:

A shocking four-part series that sheds new light on a dark and bloody chapter of British and European history, exploring why for nearly 500 years the saga of fear, persecution, torture and death continued.

The series explores the gruesome and inhumane inquisitions carried out in the name of the Roman Catholic Church across five centuries, in the name of religion. Designed to combat heresy in the 12th Century, these included being stretched out on a rack, having your toenails removed one by one, being subject to bloody castration, or scalded by hot coals until you confessed to a crime you almost certainly did not commit.

This first episode tells the story of The Knights Templar, an extremely powerful Christian military order who fought in the Crusades, ordered to be arrested by the King of France in 1307, and the Cathars, who the church in Rome saw as a threat, therefore causing the Pope to send in his armies to destroy this 'cult'.

Good stuff. :allears:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

fspades posted:

Extremely good poo poo. Joan of Arc getting dragged off by scary dudes in crusader tabard things :allears:

E: dubstep ending credits.

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 17, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

fspades posted:

Anything in there about how the Venetian Inquisition invented the practice of defense lawyers for people who couldn't afford their own? No? It was very important.

Baracula posted:

E: dubstep ending credits.
Yesss.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Anything in there about how the Venetian Inquisition invented the practice of defense lawyers for people who couldn't afford their own? No? It was very important.

Huh? Any chance of an effortpost about that? Didn't know defense laywers were so recent, considering lawyers as a profession are old.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nothing to seehere posted:

Huh? Any chance of an effortpost about that? Didn't know defense laywers were so recent, considering lawyers as a profession are old.
No, just the public defender. The free-of-charge part.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I know some of the inquisitions (did they mention it wasn't just one?) allowed defense lawyers, but if the client was convicted of heresy, the defense lawyer was considered guilty too. Kept down the number of lawyers willing to take the case.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I think earlier in the thread we were sperging about whether its possible to shoot a bow while moving.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Lnv9Pr3AWSw#t=97

A bit earlier he is shooting while jumping.

Edit: I hope that I did not save that link because I found it in this thread :downs:

Nektu fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 18, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Murat is good. He also has a bow by Adam Karpowicz that he never shoots. What a waste.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Wait a minute, why would you wonder how people would transport pollaxes? Those things are tiny.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

Wait a minute, why would you wonder how people would transport pollaxes? Those things are tiny.

That depends. Anything about manhigh is kinda uncomfortable in the subway or a small car.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I've heard that while the Spanish Inquisition was a rather different beast, the Papal Inquisition was rather undeserving of its modern day reputation for being a metaphorical witch hunt, in that while they would execute unrepentant heretics in gruesome ways, if you had heretical beliefs but renounced them you were free to go, and if you were falsely accused of having heretical beliefs all you had to do was give a public declaration that you believed in the orthodox catholic position on the matter you were accused of being a heretic over.

Is that true?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

That depends. Anything about manhigh is kinda uncomfortable in the subway or a small car.
Oh, that kind of transport. (1) If you're going to do this at least one member of your company needs a car with a luggage rack, and (2) I used to live in Manhattan. Anything is transportable in the subway with enough gumption.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reveilled posted:

I've heard that while the Spanish Inquisition was a rather different beast, the Papal Inquisition was rather undeserving of its modern day reputation for being a metaphorical witch hunt, in that while they would execute unrepentant heretics in gruesome ways, if you had heretical beliefs but renounced them you were free to go, and if you were falsely accused of having heretical beliefs all you had to do was give a public declaration that you believed in the orthodox catholic position on the matter you were accused of being a heretic over.

Is that true?

These are institutions that existed for hundreds of years so it will be hard to give a simple answer about what any of them did or didn't do.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

According to the book ( http://www.amazon.com/The-Albigensian-Crusades-Arbor-Paperbacks/dp/0472064762 ) I just finished on the Albigensian crusades, the inquisition of that period would in fact view reconversion as its primary goal and do everything possible to get a heretic to recant before turning them over to secular authority for execution (washing their hands of the actual execution much like Pontius Pilate). The number of executions relative to the huge number of people processed was small. However, they were absolutely ruthless about getting the heretic to name every single other heretic (or potential heretic or person who once said hello to a heretic) they possibly could before letting them go. They'd have no problem imprisoning people for years on end, which I believe is pretty unusual by medieval standards.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HEY GAL posted:

Oh, that kind of transport. (1) If you're going to do this at least one member of your company needs a car with a luggage rack, and (2) I used to live in Manhattan. Anything is transportable in the subway with enough gumption.

Is enough gumption codeword for a gun.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Frostwerks posted:

Is enough gumption codeword for a gun.
America is a kind of maybe not perfectly safe place to live!

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Hahaha, this is a pretty accurate description. What made it even more galling was that his presentation (I would not call it a lecture) spent a great deal of time ridiculing eastern martial arts for, among other things, being too prone to sensei-ism.
Lol, this is literally what happened to me my first day in a reenactment with the pike.

Hauptmann: "I should train HEGEL and the other new guy, or something."
*Encounters friend of his he hasn't seen in a while, walks off drinking whiskey with him, isn't seen again for the rest of the afternoon.*

Corporal: "So, here are some positions. Try this. And..one more, I guess? Don't actually hurt anyone, they are our friends. Also, if you get tired, feel free to drop the pike and take your enemy down. Grab him by the neck or something. That's about it, good luck tomorrow!"

The second day we ended up practicing wheeling and moving into a hollow square for what seemed like hours, but there was still a notable lack of pompous jerks. Even the guy in a fur-trimmed cassock was just, you know, a guy.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 19, 2014

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Reveilled posted:

Is that true?

Even the modern and contemporary reputation of the Spanish Inquisition is largely the result of the Black Legend since there were pretty significant variations in the accusation, prosecution, conviction, punishment, and censorship patterns of the Holy Office depending on the jurisdiction, period of time, type of heretical behavior, and the ethnicity of the individual in question. For example, an Indian could not be prosecuted by the Holy Office after it had been established in Mexico in 1571 although the earlier "apostolic" inquisitions could. Likewise, an individual engaging in something resembling witchcraft in New Spain probably would not have even been prosecuted despite the relatively high likelihood that he had would have been accused, but a bigamist or "Judaizer" would likely be less fortunate at least vis-a-vis prosecution.

I want an early modern history thread.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

King Hong Kong posted:

Even the modern and contemporary reputation of the Spanish Inquisition is largely the result of the Black Legend since there were pretty significant variations in the accusation, prosecution, conviction, punishment, and censorship patterns of the Holy Office depending on the jurisdiction, period of time, type of heretical behavior, and the ethnicity of the individual in question. For example, an Indian could not be prosecuted by the Holy Office after it had been established in Mexico in 1571 although the earlier "apostolic" inquisitions could. Likewise, an individual engaging in something resembling witchcraft in New Spain probably would not have even been prosecuted despite the relatively high likelihood that he had would have been accused, but a bigamist or "Judaizer" would likely be less fortunate at least vis-a-vis prosecution.

I want an early modern history thread.

We actually know a lot about African kinship ties in America through bigamy vouchers (e.g. "This is Tom, he's my friend, and I know he's I married.") Which was kinda a big deal to the church. A lot of these are "he was my shipmate" even for the guys who'd been in he Americas for decades

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

P-Mack posted:

According to the book ( http://www.amazon.com/The-Albigensian-Crusades-Arbor-Paperbacks/dp/0472064762 ) I just finished on the Albigensian crusades, the inquisition of that period would in fact view reconversion as its primary goal and do everything possible to get a heretic to recant before turning them over to secular authority for execution (washing their hands of the actual execution much like Pontius Pilate). The number of executions relative to the huge number of people processed was small. However, they were absolutely ruthless about getting the heretic to name every single other heretic (or potential heretic or person who once said hello to a heretic) they possibly could before letting them go. They'd have no problem imprisoning people for years on end, which I believe is pretty unusual by medieval standards.

Imprisonment for long periods of time was quite unusual all the up to the modern period. Prison was where people were put until their sentence could be carried out basically. The inquisition was known for being quite a bit more squeamish about condemning suspects to execution and other forms of capital punishments than secular courts, which is why you ended up with a lot of people put in ecclesiastical prison or put under hourse arrest rather than actually punished. The Inquisition was quite a bit more interested in actually rooting out heresy than punishing individual heretics. On top of this being imprisoned by the Inquisition usually meant ecclasiastical prison which meant your prison guards were usually unarmed monks, quite a lot of people managed to escape.

Witchraft also seems to have been viewed almost entirely as superstition by most inquisitors, the great majority of witch burnings were carried out by secular courts and/or lynch mobs, the Inquisition in general wanted little to do with it. The inquisitor assigned to Jeanne d'Arc's trial(though he might have been replaced towards the end, don't quite remember) was convinced she was innocent, that dressing like a man was entirely appropriate for a woman fighting in a war and that the accusations of witchcraft were preposterous superstition.

The Inquisition also operated under certain rules that made them a lot more humane and fair than contemporary secular courts (though still quite shocking to many modern people I'd think), for instance a suspect was not told the details of his heresy only the number of counts of heresy he was suspected of, this was to ensure that a suspect did not give a false confession during interrogation (if his confession did not match the heresies he was on trial he was supposed to have been let go as innocent), use of torture during interrogation was restricted to one session and methods that drew blood were prohibited, a confession under torture would have to be repeated some time later without the torture for it to be regarded as valid.

The Spanish Inquisition is somewhat different in that much of its work lay in discovering secret practitioners of Islam and Judaism, but this is still pretty similar to the Medieval Inquisition which was tasked to enforce religious unity by rooting out Christian heresy. The Spanish Inquisition were more directly an arm of the Spanish crown though, rather than answering solely to the Pope.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
People interested in the inquisition should definitely read Carlo Ginzburg's The Cheese and the Worms. Its a case study of a 16th century Italian miller who was accused of heresy and eventually burned for it at the stake. Due to the meticulous record keeping of the inquisition Ginzburg can cite straight from the sources what the accused and the inquisitors said, which is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Charlie Mopps posted:

People interested in the inquisition should definitely read Carlo Ginzburg's The Cheese and the Worms. Its a case study of a 16th century Italian miller who was accused of heresy and eventually burned for it at the stake. Due to the meticulous record keeping of the inquisition Ginzburg can cite straight from the sources what the accused and the inquisitors said, which is pretty cool.

The Cheese and the Worms is not strictly about the Inquisition per se, but it is a classic and worthwhile read. His The Night Battles is also excellent. Ginzburg's use of the Inquisition in historical writing has strong similarities to Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie's roughly contemporaneous Montaillou, village occitan de 1294 à 1324, which has been a major influence on historians of the Inquisition (both medieval and early modern) since the 1970s.

Of the early modern (and probably of all) inquisitions, the Roman Inquisition is probably the most difficult to get a grasp of due to the substantial damage its archives endured in riots and the Napoleonic occupation of Rome and the fact that the archives are difficult to access and were not opened until surprisingly recently.

As for the Spanish Inquisition, the recommendations are often:

Gustav Henningsen and John Tedeschi, eds., The Inquisition in Early Modern Europe: Studies on Sources and Methods
Henry Kamen, The Spanish Inquisition (How creative)
Joseph Peréz, The Spanish Inquisition
Richard Kagan, Lucrecia's Dreams and Inquisitorial Inquiries
Benzion Netanyahu, Origins of the Inquisition in Fifteenth Century Spain

There is also a great deal of exceedingly good scholarship in French and Spanish (if you can read either or both) including Jean-Pierre Dedieu's and Solange Alberro's works.

For the Atlantic World and Latin American extensions, role, and significance, Alberro is crucial as are Stuart B. Schwartz's All Can Be Saved: Religious Tolerance and Salvation in the Iberian Atlantic World, María Elena Martínez's Genealogical Fictions: Limpieza de Sangre, Religion, and Gender in Colonial Mexico, James Sweet's Domingos Álvares, African Healing, and the Intellectual History of the Atlantic World, and Richard Greenleaf's work from the 1970s and 1980s. Martin Austin Nesvig's Ideology and Inquisition: The World of the Censors in Early Mexico is pretty recent, but it is kind of flawed (though many of the above works have their own flaws).

• Locked thread