Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

nutranurse posted:

Sent off a link/email with the SVN.

If anyone's interested, I have a git import with enough case sensitivity and \ vs / fixes that it works on Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

It's nitpicking, but I wish it would say the name of the new holding you're about to build, like so:

Maybe the name could even potentially be different for each separate holding type?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

grancheater posted:

Wouldn't this only make his vassal barons mad?

I think it works on everyone in the court. Seeing as there are a lot of claimants in the court usually I think (but might be confirmation bias) that they end up being supported for throne factions. Not sure, seems to work though!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, I've formed a republic under my Kingdom, only they arent doing anything to form their own trade posts. Does it take awhile to do so?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, I've formed a republic under my Kingdom, only they arent doing anything to form their own trade posts. Does it take awhile to do so?

Make sure they have the tech needed. I think you can speed it up by researching it yourself in a bordering duchy, since that would give it a chance to spread.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Story time!

My ruler, Botulfr of Angermanland, had, after a few less than successful attempts, managed to overcome the Kingdom of Sweden and take the crown for himself. As a fearsome Viking raider and mighty berserker, he was unrivalled in terms of martial prowess (33 Martial is just incredible). His wife was a genius and an excellent spymaster, and he waited a long time for the birth of his first son. The son, however, did not inherit his mother's genius, and given that it was yet another generation of failed eugenics projects, he was named Disappointment Botulfrsson Stenbock.

As he grew, Disappointment kept living up to his name. His base stats were meagre, and he didn't really get all that many useful traits. When he finished his education, he didn't even pick up his dad's Brilliant Strategist education, he only got Skilled Tactician. Once again, he fell short.

But Botulfr was, in a fit of berserker rage, maimed by a valiant Englishman during one of his countless campaigns. He was not long for this world, and a few years later, he passed away. Disappointment's first decision upon succeeding the throne was to erect a runestone in his memory.

Fast forward some fifteen years, and the man called Disappointment has become a Brilliant Strategist in his own right, a fearsome Viking raider, an inspiring leader, has united all of the North under one banner, conquered Germany and reformed the Norse faith. Nobody refers to him by his given name any more, today he is only known under his nickname, the Lionheart.

And yet I can't help but imagine that every year he goes to see the runestone to his father's memory, asking himself: "Have I become good enough?"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

nutranurse posted:

So in Lux Invicta related oddities, you can play as the Republic of Diva, which has control over only Maldives. It's a Roman Buddhist colony that only god knows how it got its start. Very challenging considering you've got the Hindu Kingdom of Chola right across the sea, and they've got a de jure claim on your little republic!

I want to say it might have something to do with possible Roman trade outposts in India. A neat idea, actually.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Having 2000 people in your dynasty and Elective succession makes it really easy to keep a Genius in charge at all times.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SynthOrange posted:

How does one do this anyway? I need more arbitrary goals to angle for.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Give a mayor a duchy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Step one - either give somebody with no titles a city title or pick a guy that has only a city title.
Step two - pick a duchy title that you have with a coastal county title that you also have.
Step three - give the city guy the coastal county.
Step four - give the same guy the duchy. Congratulations, you now have a vassal republic that will hate you for eternity but also shower you in ducats.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I buried my question before under a description of the game I was playing. So lemme ask again: A cloud ironman game I was playing suddenly says "BROKEN SAVEGAME." Am I out of luck, or is there anyway I can get my game back?

Broken Cog posted:

Having 2000 people in your dynasty and Elective succession makes it really easy to keep a Genius in charge at all times.

Yeah, but if you play like I do, landing your dynasty like crazy, it also makes some really bitchy vassals. It's still my favorite way to play ("okay kids, let me introduce you to your distant cousin so-and-so, my new ward. I've never heard of this kid or his parents before but I'm tutoring him, giving him a dutchy, and making him my heir because we are apparently related and there was a little brain next to his name when he was born.") I've lost kingdom titles though fairly frequently, and had the succession go a different way than I was planning once. You don't get a game over, but definitely keep an eye on who's voting for who at all times. I also tend to materialistically marry my daughters, especially if they or a possible husband has the genius trait. MORE DYNASTS.

It was also fun in my Roman game, where the holy grail was augustus/born in the purple/genius, and genius cousins were a sad backup plan.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 19, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Step one - either give somebody with no titles a city title or pick a guy that has only a city title.
Step two - pick a duchy title that you have with a coastal county title that you also have.
Step three - give the city guy the coastal county.
Step four - give the same guy the duchy. Congratulations, you now have a vassal republic that will hate you for eternity but also shower you in ducats.

Hatred balmed by money? How can I say no

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why did my basilissa's husband's titles get split up through gavelkind?? He was a Greek duke in the Byzantine Empire and there hasn't been gavelkind anywhere as far as I know.

e: I guess the duchy titles were gavelkind. Uhhhh why?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 19, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

You should probably have every other or every third coastal duchy be a republic for the cash. Crank taxes to max and levies to minimum to offset the opinion modifiers.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Digital Osmosis posted:

I buried my question before under a description of the game I was playing. So lemme ask again: A cloud ironman game I was playing suddenly says "BROKEN SAVEGAME." Am I out of luck, or is there anyway I can get my game back?

Yeah, probably. You could try deleting it from your save folders to force steam to re-download the cloud savefile, but that one's probably also broken. If it's not a 0kb file or something you might wanna try posting on the Paradox forums, I think I've seen some Paradox people fixing broken savegames, but at the very least I figure they'd be interested in seeing why it's broken.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

eXXon posted:

Why did my basilissa's husband's titles get split up through gavelkind?? He was a Greek duke in the Byzantine Empire and there hasn't been gavelkind anywhere as far as I know.

Did the duchies belong to a foreign kingdom/empire whose laws you can't control?
That always hosed me over, and I just resort to playing a Rebulic that destroys every Duchy title. Grand Cities everywhere.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

eXXon posted:

I don't know but this happens to me sometimes do and I dont understand it. I'll grant duchies to people in my dynasty, that lie within a kingdom and an empire with primogeniture and medium crown authority, and they default to gavelkind and never change it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Did the duchies belong to a foreign kingdom/empire whose laws you can't control?
That always hosed me over, and I just resort to playing a Rebulic that destroys every Duchy title. Grand Cities everywhere.

No, they're just all gavelkind for some reason. I solved a potential inheritance problem by cranking up crown authority to high as I probably should have done decades ago.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Duchies have their own succession laws independent of the kingdom's succession and don't always change them when the kingdom changes. Also, I think if a title passes to someone who doesn't meet the conditions for that succession law (such as a non-Muslim getting their hands on a title with Muslim succession law) then it reverts to Gavelkind instead.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Yeah there isn't much reason to not have at least one vassal republic. They hate you forever because of the different government type malus but they never really get powerful enough to mess with you so, really, they mostly just kind of sit there and feed you gold.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

nutranurse posted:

Sent off a link/email with the SVN.
Could I have a link as well? Thanks!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ham posted:

Could I have a link as well? Thanks!

Yeah, I'll PM you a link in ~15 minutes. I have to remake the .rar and reupload it because the previous SVN (r170) got rid of all the African nations for some reason. r171 fixes this! (I'm sending the link off to the two goons who asked me for it earlier too).

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, I'll PM you a link in ~15 minutes. I have to remake the .rar and reupload it because the previous SVN (r170) got rid of all the African nations for some reason. r171 fixes this! (I'm sending the link off to the two goons who asked me for it earlier too).

You know what, me too.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I have six vassal republics right now. Crimea, Normandy, Mecklenburg, Genoa, Pisa, and Venice. Pisa is a king and really hates me.

I wanna set one up in the Sinai and see if I can get trade going in India.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 19, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I usually try to combat the "Wrong Government" malus by having the vassal republic be a dynasty member, since that gives a +10 or something opinion bonus. Another benefit with creating a republic from scratch is that you can fund your cousin the Doge with some of the extra cash you make as an emperor, giving them a leg up when it comes to upgrading the palace or trade posts and ensuring that your family remains in charge of the republic.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DrSunshine posted:

I usually try to combat the "Wrong Government" malus by having the vassal republic be a dynasty member, since that gives a +10 or something opinion bonus. Another benefit with creating a republic from scratch is that you can fund your cousin the Doge with some of the extra cash you make as an emperor, giving them a leg up when it comes to upgrading the palace or trade posts and ensuring that your family remains in charge of the republic.

Problem with that is sometimes they can snatch your eldest son if he's the only unlanded dynasty member.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I don't know, that sounds like a giant loving money hole for the sake of a +10 relations bonus; you'd spend less money for more effect to just give the new doge a bribe.

I usually offset it by reserving the Seneschal honorary title for the Doge, which more than covers the wrong government malus.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DStecks posted:

I don't know, that sounds like a giant loving money hole for the sake of a +10 relations bonus; you'd spend less money for more effect to just give the new doge a bribe.

I usually offset it by reserving the Seneschal honorary title for the Doge, which more than covers the wrong government malus.

The +10 bonus would come as long as they're a family member regardless how much money you bribe them with. It's not like you have to keep throwing money at them -- I just like to give my family member some startup capital to help ensure that they've got an advantage over the other generated patricians. I could also tag over to play as the Republican branch of the family just to ensure that they're the first to build the mansion.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
What exactly does the adventurer warning dialogue look like? I got blindsided by 20k doomstacks twice now without warning, and I've been specifically paying attention to the notification window trying to prevent this poo poo from happening because it ruined my last game.

Thankfully I lucked out on the first spawn, it got bugged or something and the levy didn't go hostile.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Brotato Broth posted:

What exactly does the adventurer warning dialogue look like? I got blindsided by 20k doomstacks twice now without warning, and I've been specifically paying attention to the notification window trying to prevent this poo poo from happening because it ruined my last game.

Thankfully I lucked out on the first spawn, it got bugged or something and the levy didn't go hostile.

A big red fist up at the top! It's rather hard to miss, it's right there alongside the "You can create new titles" button!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

The +10 bonus would come as long as they're a family member regardless how much money you bribe them with. It's not like you have to keep throwing money at them -- I just like to give my family member some startup capital to help ensure that they've got an advantage over the other generated patricians. I could also tag over to play as the Republican branch of the family just to ensure that they're the first to build the mansion.

It's also kind of irrelevant. I've basically never seen a Republic basically rebel or cause much trouble beyond maybe a bit of scheming. For the most part the patrician families spend most of their time murdering each other rather than trying to break off and become independent. Just let them have their little jealous gilded murder fest so long as they send you bags of ducats every month.

So far what I've always done is crank up city taxes to the max but turn their levies the whole way down and just let them be. The Doge always hates me but so long as he never causes any real trouble and gives me money I don't give a poo poo what antics he otherwise gets up to. If I need him to like me long enough to change a law or something it's Bribe O'Clock.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

A big red fist up at the top! It's rather hard to miss, it's right there alongside the "You can create new titles" button!

I've never seen the red fist icon pop up in my games. Is there some other event that could spawn a massive hostile levy out of nowhere?

It wasn't a peasant uprising either. It specifically mentions "xyz wants to press his claims by force."

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Digital Osmosis posted:

This is why I stopped playing cloud saved iron man games. You can try and delete those files, as well as verifying the cache of the game in the properties in steam.

Local saved iron man games do give you achievements and are the way to go. I've gotten almost half my achievements playing them and they for sure work.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Patrician vassals aren't much danger on their own, but when you've got a few vassals annoyed enough to start/join factions, republics can be a real pain in the rear end. You can cause a faction to break up and knock it out of action for a while by bribing/appeasing the faction leader up above a certain opinion threshold, so if a republic starts a faction and your other factions start joining then it's a giant pain because it's hard to get a doge vassal to have an 80 opinion of you. On the other hand, doges are really easy to plot-stab, though it doesn't give you as much of a grace period before their successor gets back up to scheming and factioning.

Brotato Broth posted:

I've never seen the red fist icon pop up in my games. Is there some other event that could spawn a massive hostile levy out of nowhere?

It wasn't a peasant uprising either. It specifically mentions "xyz wants to press his claims by force."

I don't recall seeing a big red fist in relation to adventurers, maybe it's a thing from some mod. You should get a game-pausing big popup right in the middle of the screen complete with picture, description, and the identity of the adventurer though, a couple years before he launches his attack. I think it's something along the lines of "You receive word that an adventurer is gathering men for a claim on your titles" and the option you're required to click in order to dismiss the popup and continue the game is "Oh dear, let's hope he's not prone to...accidents".

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I have no mods and get the red fist icon. I also get a pop up saying some dick has set his sights on me. My ok dialogue is something like "I think of assassins". Then I get the red fist button to remind me this rear end in a top hat is coming and give me a convenient button to bring him up for diplo options.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

I have no mods and get the red fist icon. I also get a pop up saying some dick has set his sights on me. My ok dialogue is something like "I think of assassins". Then I get the red fist button to remind me this rear end in a top hat is coming and give me a convenient button to bring him up for diplo options.

Yeah, I'm just playing with the vanilla game, and I get the same events and windows as you. I wonder if it has something to do with the message settings?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
My kinsman, and friend, just inherited the Holy Roman Empire. I have a straight line of my dynasty, from Burgundy, to the HRE, to Denmark. Sadly my branch got kicked off of France pretty much immediately after they got there.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
I'm currently playing an Old Gods start as Alfred of Wessex on Ironman and have been pretty successful at expanding lower England while fending off the Vikings. I swore fealty to the King of Scotland in order to 1) keep them off my back and 2) sandwich the Viking bastards. I also managed to matrilineally marry my first daughter to the most popular heir to the Scottish throne (Scotland is elective succession). Lucky me, she quickly popped out two grandsons of my bloodline.

Now the King of Scotland has just created the Kingdom of England on the heels of bitch-smacking Denmark out of Mercia, and all the nobles have rallied behind the father of my grandsons as the heir to Scotland AND England, placing my grandsons in the running for future succession. I have an unmarried son who will inherit the Duchy of Wessex when I die (agnatic primogeniture), but with the aforementioned setup, I'm tempted to stab him out of the way.

If I do this, will my daughter's eldest son be my heir under agnatic primogeniture? As of right now, the succession screen just shows my son with no others in line. I wouldn't be so hesitant to stab my son and see what happens if I wasn't playing Ironman, but if it doesn't work I'll have to stab my old rear end wife and pray to the Pope that my new one gives me a male heir before I die, or change the laws to Agnatic-Cognatic - either of which I'll do if I have to, but I'm curious if my first scheme is viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Awww man, as a Catholic I can't holy war all over Romuva pagans with impunity? This sucks :saddowns:

• Locked thread