Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DrManiac posted:

Jojo is going to loving murder this guy so hard.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I envy the folks in the other thread :)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A Meat posted:

Man, I had totally forgotten the "Stands can change size" plot point from The Lovers, I don't remember it being ever brought up again, except for maybe Little Feet and Goo Goo Dolls, but I'm not sure that counts if it's a different stand power causing it.

It's kind of a plot hole; I'm pretty sure Araki completely forgot about Stands being able to do that. It is noted that it takes a lot of mental exertion to keep them shrunk, and it took an intuitive leap for Kakyoin to figure out that it could be done, but it's still a bit odd that no one ever does it again. Why didn't Kakyoin tell Jotaro it was possible, Jotaro tell Josuke, etc.?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
what benefit would shrinking them have in any other situation?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

A Meat posted:

Man, I had totally forgotten the "Stands can change size" plot point from The Lovers, I don't remember it being ever brought up again, except for maybe Little Feet and Goo Goo Dolls, but I'm not sure that counts if it's a different stand power causing it.

And Killer Queen, I guess.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

darealkooky posted:

what benefit would shrinking them have in any other situation?

The obvious use is stealth.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I skipped Stardust Crusaders for a ton of reasons, but it's impressive how quickly Araki got into the swing of things with stands. We've only seen like 12, and all the mis-steps were trying to make Star Platinum more interesting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Meat posted:

Polnareff does say it takes a lot of "stand energy" to make them this size, I guess there's no other fights where it's worth making your stand tiny.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurtofan posted:

Polnareff does say it takes a lot of "stand energy" to make them this size, I guess there's no other fights where it's worth making your stand tiny.
Yeah, they seem to remain proportionately as fast, so all shrinking them down would do is hide them. Maybe? I don't know.

I mean some of them are tiny on their own.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Pomp posted:

I skipped Stardust Crusaders for a ton of reasons

like?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I cannot imagine ANY good reason to skip Part 3. Part 5, maybe, but only because of the shoddy translation. But Part 3? That does sort of boggle me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm torn between what's bigger bullshit: them shrinking their stands or hermit purple going through glass somehow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Back in the day, you used to hear about people skipping 1 and 2 and just starting with 3. (Which is also a shame, but understandable.)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
No part of JoJo deserves to be skipped. They're all great.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
So do Polnareff and Kakyoin see through their stands or are they relying on Joseph's television to navigate? I mean, Star Platinum sees things that Jotaro doesn't, apparently.
Inconsistency!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Agent Interrobang posted:

I cannot imagine ANY good reason to skip Part 3. Part 5, maybe, but only because of the shoddy translation. But Part 3? That does sort of boggle me.
Part 3 has crappy yellow scans and the official English release is out of print, at least last time I checked.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
For all the flaws of the old OAV of Stardust Crusaders, there are some pretty fantastic parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqumqsEEB0U

This is actually pretty close to how I imagine a live-action depiction of Star Platinum's powers might be staged.

I think it was okay overall though - meanwhile the Phantom Blood movie by the same company sucked mainly because one of the producers (or director or someone else - I forget) died and the film lost most of its budget money as a result.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Soulcleaver posted:

Part 3 has crappy yellow scans and the official English release is out of print, at least last time I checked.

Not anymore. It's being released digitally.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Not anymore. It's being released digitally.

Where at? Crunchyroll?

Really want to 'vote with my dollars' for quality official manga releases online.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Viz is releasing part 3 starting now, Phantom Blood in September, and Battle Tendency slightly later. I forget exactly when. Plus PB and BT will get print editions next year.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I'm torn between what's bigger bullshit: them shrinking their stands or hermit purple going through glass somehow.

I've always sort of worked off the idea that Stands are a visual metaphor for psychic combat to make it more exciting and visually dynamic. Kakyoin and Polnareff can shrink down inside Joseph's brain because both their Stands are good at fine manipulation and precision.

They're stuff in the series that contradicts this, but hey, Araki.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I'm honestly kind of happy this is a thing that was retconned, because I prefer size-manipulation to be something only certain stands can do.

But yeah, the answer seems to be Araki forgot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Suleman posted:

So do Polnareff and Kakyoin see through their stands or are they relying on Joseph's television to navigate? I mean, Star Platinum sees things that Jotaro doesn't, apparently.

Inconsistency!

Nah. Devo mentions that some Stands like Ebony Devil can let their user see through them. Considering how Star Platinum just gets every convenient power imaginable in the early parts of SC, it might just be able to work much like Ebony Devil in that regard.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spacedad posted:

Where at? Crunchyroll?

Really want to 'vote with my dollars' for quality official manga releases online.

You can buy it on a kindle or an Ipad. Just go to Viz's website look up JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and they'll tell you what all you can buy it on there.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Viz has the 1st 4 volumes digital right now, and I believe they're releasing 2 volumes every week. Also, they did a reprint of all the physical part 3 volumes very recently as well.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nah. Devo mentions that some Stands like Ebony Devil can let their user see through them. Considering how Star Platinum just gets every convenient power imaginable in the early parts of SC, it might just be able to work much like Ebony Devil in that regard.

In the same encounter Polnareff couldn't see through Silver Chariot's eyes and needed to use mirror shards to see above the bed and counter attack.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Polnareff is using the television to see where to send Silver Chariot this time, though.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Soulcleaver posted:

It hasn't been out of print since the start of the year, you can get all 16 volumes on Amazon for around 8 bucks each.

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

Viz has the 1st 4 volumes digital right now, and I believe they're releasing 2 volumes every week. Also, they did a reprint of all the physical part 3 volumes very recently as well.
Every 2 weeks but yeah, this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Broseph Brostar posted:

In the same encounter Polnareff couldn't see through Silver Chariot's eyes and needed to use mirror shards to see above the bed and counter attack.

Yeah, but somebody specifically calls Polnareff out earlier as the type of stand user who can't see through his stand's eyes. It's not a universal rule either way.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
What's the deal with the colored Jojo manga? Do all but the most current part have entirely colored volumes available?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

What's the deal with the colored Jojo manga? Do all but the most current part have entirely colored volumes available?

Yes but they don't look too good and are also only available digitally in Japan.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Is the colored Jojo project from a different source then? I saw some while finishing part 4 and they looked a lot crisper than the black and white chapters.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Is the colored Jojo project from a different source then? I saw some while finishing part 4 and they looked a lot crisper than the black and white chapters.

No. You misunderstand, the colored scans that popped up for vols 46 and 47 were from the colored release. However I don't think the coloring works that well is what I meant. The older scans are from public raws and will be inferior "quality" to the colored ones simply because those were ripped directly from the official release.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I liked Lovers because it shows that even physically weak stands can cause a whole lot of harm if their users have the wits to make it work. Makes me pity some other stand users like Okuyasa.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Uznare posted:

It hasn't been out of print since the start of the year, you can get all 16 volumes on Amazon for around 8 bucks each.
Hell yeah. Definitely going to support official English Jojo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Dan of Steel

Was that (and the other name changes, for that matter) a copyright/trademark thing or a mistranslation?

You can hear him say "Steely Dan" over the subtitles. Not that "Dan of Steel" isn't a pretty great play on words.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Dan of Steel

Was that (and the other name changes, for that matter) a copyright/trademark thing or a mistranslation?

You can hear him say "Steely Dan" over the subtitles. Not that "Dan of Steel" isn't a pretty great play on words.

Copyright I'd imagine. Just like J Geil was changed to Centerfold, even though it's been pronounced J Geil when spoken.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Dan of Steel

Uhhh yeah. Just like j giel is called centerfold in the subtitles.

Edit:god bless this mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

:laugh: Oh my god:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4VR86Os4wo

Also, gotta say that Josuke's big cinematic combo is the coolest in the game. The setup of him talking to the DORAORAORAORAORA punching is pretty badass.

• Locked thread