Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

The main character of Chaos;Head was great actually.

Seconding. He was written to be an incompetent shithead, and the whole story was meant to challenge him into being a not as lovely person. Also the anime version is apparently a steaming pile of poo poo compared to the VN, which was pretty good until the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Does anyone know what the first anime to use the line "It's not like I like you or anything!" was?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So you're looking for tsundere patient zero?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

gonna take a guess and say its somewhere in the 200 episodes of urusei yatsura

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

gonna take a guess and say its somewhere in the 200 episodes of urusei yatsura

Probably the safest guess in history

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Comiket organiser Ichikawa Koichi has described Lum Invader as being both the source of moe and the first tsundere,[15]
So, yeah, probably a good guess.

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

have you guys seen glasslip? check out glasslip

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Anime is great! posted:

have you guys seen glasslip? check out glasslip

I tried and got bored. Is it worth pushing through the first half of the first episode?

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Ulta posted:

I tried and got bored. Is it worth pushing through the first half of the first episode?

A lot of people who thought it was boring to begin with still think it's boring so you'll probably be in the same boat. I'm enjoying it though. It feels like AnoHana 2.0 which I really liked.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Admoon posted:

A lot of people who thought it was boring to begin with still think it's boring so you'll probably be in the same boat. I'm enjoying it though. It feels like AnoHana 2.0 which I really liked.
I really liked AnoHana but Glasslip doesn't engage me at all. I watched two episodes but couldn't be bothered to stick around for the third.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Admoon posted:

Ano Hana knew where it wanted to go right from the first minute with the whole ghost thing.

By episode 2 of Glasslip I was convinced they either had no plan or were pulling poo poo out of their asses because there was nothing remotely coherent and substantial until suddenly time powers happened.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Like someone said earlier in the thread, Glasslip lost me for good in the first episode when they decided it was no big deal to bring the chickens into their rooms. Whoever wrote that has never been around a live chicken.

Watch Silver Spoon if you want a teenage fish out of water story with 'cute' chickens.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So was Crunchyroll's hosting of the first Sailor Moon Crystal episode just a one-off thing? It seems to have vanished from the site.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Darth Walrus posted:

So was Crunchyroll's hosting of the first Sailor Moon Crystal episode just a one-off thing? It seems to have vanished from the site.

I had no problems watching it this morning.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Darth Walrus posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-moon-crystal/episode-1-usagi-sailor-moon-656623 ?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Unavailable in my region (the UK). Well, that answers that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess we'll see for sure once Rei shows up, but Sailor Moon Crystal so far seems to be seriously downplaying Usagi's negative traits. Usagi can be and often is petty, self-absorbed, and shallow. When she befriends Ami in the old show, Usagi is shown relishing in how she can use Ami to improve her own test scores. In Crystal, it's presented once as a pleasant smile and a brief, incidental thought. She's not even surprised at all when Ami interrupts her thoughts.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hey, I made a Yamishibai thread. Please watch the show and post in the thread. Thank you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My fave bit about akame ga kill is that any moral ambiguity about them being assassins is removed because the targets are all cartoonishly evil.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Strange Quark posted:

I guess we'll see for sure once Rei shows up, but Sailor Moon Crystal so far seems to be seriously downplaying Usagi's negative traits. Usagi can be and often is petty, self-absorbed, and shallow. When she befriends Ami in the old show, Usagi is shown relishing in how she can use Ami to improve her own test scores. In Crystal, it's presented once as a pleasant smile and a brief, incidental thought. She's not even surprised at all when Ami interrupts her thoughts.

There's a sailor moon thread. Anyway, how does the second episode compare to the manga? Isn't it an adaptation of that, instead of a remake of the original show?

I get that people are gonna compare them but you don't need to beat people over the head with it. So far the show has shown she's dumb and selfish. Her literal superpower is crying at stuff.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also Tokyo Ghoul still owns

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

As a newcomer to the franchise, I find Usagi's negative traits in Crystal a little too much as it is. I don't get why so many fans seem to want her to be terrible at everything all the time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Silver2195 posted:

As a newcomer to the franchise, I find Usagi's negative traits in Crystal a little too much as it is. I don't get why so many fans seem to want her to be terrible at everything all the time.

Because it's funny, and because enjoying Sailor Moon as an adult, as anything other than a comedy, is kind of hard to justify even to yourself. :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Silver2195 posted:

I thought the entire allure of Sailor Moon was that the main character was a legitimately not good person.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

I only started watching the series recently too, and I hate using this term, but what bothers me most about Crystal's characterization of Usagi is that she comes off as some fanboy's waifu: beautiful, dumb, and clumsy, and not much of a personality beyond that. It's bland and uninteresting. I might be projecting here, but I want to see her vindictive and spiteful and narcissistic so she's closer to acting like a real girl than some otaku ideal.

I know that Sailor Moon's target demographic is supposed to be young girls, but I can't say I really get that impression from Crystal so far.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

I know that Sailor Moon's target demographic is supposed to be young girls, but I can't say I really get that impression from Crystal so far.

Didn't the original show paid a lot of tribute to Tokusatsu / Super Sentai /Power Rangers shows not only in color-coding, but also in the overall approach the Sailor Scouts had to fighting? Hell, I remember hearing from an acquaintance that she kinda had a specific rule similar to Oda had for the main male character or something.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Don't be crazy, the show's target demographic is full blown adults with a lot of nostalgia for the original.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Also Tokyo Ghoul still owns

After ep. 3 i don't know about that. I mean, the premise is great, the MC strugle to not give in to his "dark side" keeps you interested, but the censorship keeps making GBS threads all over everything. :argh:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I haven't seen a new Yotsuba& chapter in ages, so long that the thread hit the archives. Is it on hiatus or something? No release date for Volume 13 that I can find either.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

I haven't seen a new Yotsuba& chapter in ages, so long that the thread hit the archives. Is it on hiatus or something? No release date for Volume 13 that I can find either.

Seems to be the case.

letmun
May 8, 2013
Sabagebu has pass my three episode test with flying colors just a good funny show

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Today is the worst day.:smith:

Thanks though!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, what with Barakamon, Nozaki-Kun and, shockingly, Sabagebu, this season is great for comedy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You forgot Akame ga Kill

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's weird, there's a bunch of other anime that's full of mood whiplash but still manage to have a consistency overall (like Fullmetal Alchemist for instance), but I can't get behind Akame ga Kill's brand of it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I like it because the rich and powerful get killed in a very graphic manner. Very satisfying. But the mood whiplash is bad indeed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wouldn't mind the mood whiplash if the jokes weren't so lovely and cringeworthy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's so moody teenage boy that even the awful jokes make me laugh because they're exactly the kind of poo poo I'd say when I was a moody teenage boy. It's a bad show but it still wormed its way into my heart :love:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They sell pills to take care of that you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I heard Tokyo ESP was coming out this summer on Crunchyroll

Where is my anime Xmen??

• Locked thread