Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dabir posted:

I don't get it.

Forward to 1:16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I didn't get it at first, but then I kept watching, and it dawned on me. (Man, Weird Al looks good for 50+...)

And... yeah, I have nothing for this area or the previous one. The Wall Cloud and the mission around it is just kinda... there for me, you know? A springboard to much more involved things later.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The Wall Cloud is the biggest pain in the rear end to run on nonlethal, because you can't just prod everyone. It's hardly a pacifist run if you leave a bunch of unconscious crewmen on a sinking ship. So you either have to stealth past almost everyone, or drag their sleeping bodies up to the main deck and off the ship, one at a time.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I was going to wait until the Wall Cloud was completely done to post this, but this guy managed to stealth the entire way through using level 3 vision enhancement, run silent, synthetic heart, and occasionally the cloak. It's pretty drat impressive.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I was going to wait until the Wall Cloud was completely done to post this, but this guy managed to stealth the entire way through using level 3 vision enhancement, run silent, synthetic heart, and occasionally the cloak. It's pretty drat impressive.

Has the run silent aug. What a noob.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Probably a good modern game would let you sink the ship through other means, but maybe assign you some kind of penalty (like a worse ending, killing off a character you liked, etc.) Your average modern game would give you a SHIP EXPLOSIVES key item which could only be used to blow up the weak points on the ship and for no other purpose.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

idonotlikepeas posted:

Probably a good modern game would let you sink the ship through other means, but maybe assign you some kind of penalty (like a worse ending, killing off a character you liked, etc.) Your average modern game would give you a SHIP EXPLOSIVES key item which could only be used to blow up the weak points on the ship and for no other purpose.

Your low end Russian modern game would have an option to buy explosives via airdrop for 2 USD micropayments, and it would show the explosives being dropped from a helicopter, even if you were indoors.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Paramemetic posted:

it would show the explosives being dropped from a helicopter, even if you were indoors

Hey man don't hate on Peace Walker

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I met one of the designers of Human Revolution the other day. I told 'em that HV was a great game but it just wasn't quite as good as the original. He accused me of looking at it thru nostalgic eyes, and even ended up getting sort of upset. I was careful about being courteous, too. Weird. I understand taking it personally a bit when someone says that the game that you worked on sucked, but that wasn't even the case.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think HR is a great game but not as good, but I'm not sure if it's nostalgic reasons or just preferring the older gameplay style. I just don't care much for the third person shooting stuff or the drawn out action animations with the "kill cam" or what not.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gimbal lock posted:

I met one of the designers of Human Revolution the other day. I told 'em that HV was a great game but it just wasn't quite as good as the original. He accused me of looking at it thru nostalgic eyes, and even ended up getting sort of upset. I was careful about being courteous, too. Weird. I understand taking it personally a bit when someone says that the game that you worked on sucked, but that wasn't even the case.

I met most of the leads when they had a small meetup at Eidos hq. They seemed like a fun bunch.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Don't get me wrong, he was a cool dude, just rather on the defensive side for what they shipped.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
He probably has to deal with people on the Internet giving snarky comments about the product he slaved away on for years, so when you go up to him and say that I don't really blame him for getting a little defensive about it.

You should have just left it at "great game, really enjoyed it".

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I didn't just drop that on him out of nowhere; the situation wasn't that clear cut. If he had a problem with me saying that HR was great but it has a game in its pedigree that's unlikely to be surpassed, he had to ammo to say the same to me two-fold, maybe even three-fold.

I think it might just had been the guy being sensitive about his own tastes. I told him that Borderlands wasn't good and he actually got more pissed at that, so YMMV I guess.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 20, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Gimbal lock posted:

Don't get me wrong, he was a cool dude, just rather on the defensive side for what they shipped.

Have you heard the commentaries for the Director's Cut? It feels like 3/4ths of them are talking about how this one area was going to have wild feature XYZ but then got cut for [frustrating reason] and then kinda sorta good-naturedly grumping about it. There were definitely a lot of disappointing compromises made on a much more extensive vision just because of the need to get the fucker out the door by deadline no matter what. Almost exactly like what happened at Ion Storm developing the first Deus Ex, hehe

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That describes like 99% of game development probably.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Gimbal lock posted:

It is no insult to simply not make one of the greatest games of all time. Of course, if someone were to bring it up particularly derisively, I'd suggest they borrow a quote from Joseph Heller:

"When I read something saying I've not done anything as good as Catch-22 I'm tempted to reply, 'Who has?'"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Willie Tomg posted:

Have you heard the commentaries for the Director's Cut? It feels like 3/4ths of them are talking about how this one area was going to have wild feature XYZ but then got cut for [frustrating reason] and then kinda sorta good-naturedly grumping about it. There were definitely a lot of disappointing compromises made on a much more extensive vision just because of the need to get the fucker out the door by deadline no matter what. Almost exactly like what happened at Ion Storm developing the first Deus Ex, hehe
Yup. The one thing that stuck with me was "ok, so we had to deliver an ending that was literally 'push a button for key choices!' But at least we had an ending, instead of a black screen with Congratulation! You rock! on it, which almost happened."

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Begs the question about what that guy's job was on the team.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I met a HR dev at E3 last month, and the first thing he mentioned when I brought up liking the game was "Except the boss fights, right?" So I think they're very well aware of the game's faults, perhaps too acutely in some cases.

(He also said he was working on something he couldn't refer to by name in the DX Universe :ssh: )

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

I met a HR dev at E3 last month, and the first thing he mentioned when I brought up liking the game was "Except the boss fights, right?" So I think they're very well aware of the game's faults, perhaps too acutely in some cases.

(He also said he was working on something he couldn't refer to by name in the DX Universe :ssh: )

The boss fights were outsourced so they can safely call them terrible without hurting their egos though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Att least they got slightly better in the Director's Cut.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sad thing is that the boss fights in Deus Ex games have never exactly been anything special, so that was an area they could have really outshone the original on (at least the third one was kinda cool).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

paragon1 posted:

Sad thing is that the boss fights in Deus Ex games have never exactly been anything special, so that was an area they could have really outshone the original on (at least the third one was kinda cool).

The third one made the least amount of sense. Who the gently caress builds a room like that? Playing with commentary turned on and learning all about the detachable prosthetic penises did not improve the experience.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I rationalized as an exposition room to showcase installed on bodies the newest augmentations, given that they were on the WHO building.

Willie Tomg posted:

I giggled when the development team for the game forgot why in the hell they gave a giant floor roof, separating white from blue collar sides, one side on the ground and close to the sea and elements while the other was fully bathed in sun and brightness, the name "Pangu".

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

paragon1 posted:

I loved the boss fights in the original. The fact that you could completely cheese any of them with no effort made them seem more real. It felt to me like the game respected the player enough to let them handle things how they wanted, and consistent enough that a rocket to the face would kill anything, not just the player/normal enemies. Even though it wasn't a huge gameplay challenge, I found them very rewarding and memorable.
If they did the same sort of thing in HR but improved the AI so that it was a little more challenging, I think I would have liked it a lot more. I don't know if a studio would go for that, though... But having a big flashy BOSS FIGHT is really frustrating and jarring in a game like Deus Ex, which is all about learning the rules of an internally consistent world and applying them in creative ways.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Diggus Bickus posted:

I loved the boss fights in the original. The fact that you could completely cheese any of them with no effort made them seem more real. It felt to me like the game respected the player enough to let them handle things how they wanted, and consistent enough that a rocket to the face would kill anything, not just the player/normal enemies. Even though it wasn't a huge gameplay challenge, I found them very rewarding and memorable.
If they did the same sort of thing in HR but improved the AI so that it was a little more challenging, I think I would have liked it a lot more. I don't know if a studio would go for that, though... But having a big flashy BOSS FIGHT is really frustrating and jarring in a game like Deus Ex, which is all about learning the rules of an internally consistent world and applying them in creative ways.

I have a friend whose favorite moment in Deus Ex is when he chucked a grenade at Walton Simons and interrupted his self-satisfied boss speech. This automatically threw Simons into "duck and cover" mode, giving JC enough time to escape the underwater lab without confronting him.

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013
I found the boss fight with Gunther to be pretty annoying. Okay, you enter the room, he's hiding around the corner so you can't see him, and as soon as you go near him, a conversation triggers. After that conversation (and assuming that you do not have/use his killphrase), the fight begins. But Gunther has a flamethrower and at this point you're really close to him, so you get a load of flames in your face the second the conversation ends. The developers were kind enough to put a fire extinguisher in a nearby crate, but it's still pretty annoying.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Marker17501 posted:

I found the boss fight with Gunther to be pretty annoying. Okay, you enter the room, he's hiding around the corner so you can't see him, and as soon as you go near him, a conversation triggers. After that conversation (and assuming that you do not have/use his killphrase), the fight begins. But Gunther has a flamethrower and at this point you're really close to him, so you get a load of flames in your face the second the conversation ends. The developers were kind enough to put a fire extinguisher in a nearby crate, but it's still pretty annoying.

True, but at least the game gives you ample warning that the fight is about to start and if he gets the drop on you the first time, it's pretty trivial to cheese him the second time through.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I have a friend whose favorite moment in Deus Ex is when he chucked a grenade at Walton Simons and interrupted his self-satisfied boss speech. This automatically threw Simons into "duck and cover" mode, giving JC enough time to escape the underwater lab without confronting him.

My favorite way to deal with Simons in that encounter is to set up of barrels in a line in front of where he spawns. If you do it right, he gets stuck in a weird loop and basically runs around in circles behind the wall of barrels and it's hilarious to watch because I'm literally twelve years old.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are Plasma guns / Flamethrowers meant to be blinding, or is that just an issue with playing DE with resolution fixes and increased gamma settings?

(The worst thing about fighting Walton Simons are his undocumented beastmaster powers)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only really memorable thing I remembered from Deus Ex 1 bossfights was the first time I fought Simons at Area 51. It was a tense fight compounded by the fact that the aug I thought could shoot down projectiles didn't work against plasma bolts, so it became very much a violent running battle and a lot of "oh crap gotta heal quick" moments. At the end of it all, I managed to take away the last of Simons' health just at the moment the game decided he was trying to throw a LAM at me. For whatever reason, said LAM flew about 100 feet straight up into the sky, coming back down on top of Simons' corpse and exploding.

Apparently at this point the game decided it'd had enough shenanigans and went into a bluescreen.

To be fair that basically makes one boss fight out of 3 games that was really noteworthy for me, aside from cheesing the Namir fight in HR (which everyone knew about by then). DX's boss fights are more memorable for the ability to not have them for the most part or "cheat" them. HR's are bad because they're pretty much "shoot at the cyberdemon cyborg until it dies", and I don't even think IW really has boss fights, although you could argue Billie and the fights on Liberty Island could count. JC on Liberty Island would definitely be one in that he has two "forms" as it were.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 20, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
The very first time I did the Simons boss fight, I was already in invisibility mode because of the potential for snipers. He did his whole speech, and then because I was panicked I just ran past him, invisible, and slapped him once with the Dragon's Tooth on the way by. When I got to the bomb shelter I turned around to watch him explode. Then I burst out laughing.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The HR bosses were easy to cheese if you took Typhoon early. Run in, spam Typhoon, collect your loot. It's pretty funny how quick they go down.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

I am Zim posted:

The HR bosses were easy to cheese if you took Typhoon early. Run in, spam Typhoon, collect your loot. It's pretty funny how quick they go down.
Except the first boss though.

gently caress that first boss so goddamn hard, I hated that first boss so much I literally stopped playing the game even after I somehow beat him.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FinalGamer posted:

Except the first boss though.

gently caress that first boss so goddamn hard, I hated that first boss so much I literally stopped playing the game even after I somehow beat him.

Apply taser, repeat until boss dies. No skills required, no tricky aiming, nothing. He just is stunlocked until dead.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
No, the first boss falls to 3-4 typhoon rounds too. Typhoon stun locks him so the hardest part is just getting close enough to get the first round off. It was so much easier than my first standard try at him, I really couldn't believe it when his death cut scene began.

I don't know what level Typhoon I had that early, but I did make it a priority in my second game. Didn't use it at all my first time through.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You can also throw the explosive canisters littered around the stage at him. Useful if you were doing a non-lethal run up to that point like I was. The real problem is that there is nothing nothing up to that point to indicate to you that you can't knockout the bosses (as far as I'm aware, and I was pretty drat thorough).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I fought the first boss on the hardest difficulty on my first time through, with a full focus on stealth, so I didn't have any lethal weapons or damaging augs. I found the best way to beat him was to frantically run around and throw poo poo at him while hoping to god he didn't manage to hit me.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Gaius Marius posted:

I fought the first boss on the hardest difficulty on my first time through, with a full focus on stealth, so I didn't have any lethal weapons or damaging augs. I found the best way to beat him was to frantically run around and throw poo poo at him while hoping to god he didn't manage to hit me.
Yeah that was literally what I was doing. That and explosive canisters.

It rather soured my experience for the entire game to the point that 2 hours into the next area I was getting tired and...kinda got distracted with another game and never picked it up again. I WANT to like HR but god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dirk the Average posted:

Apply taser, repeat until boss dies. No skills required, no tricky aiming, nothing. He just is stunlocked until dead.

Gas grenades then a frag grenade

• Locked thread