Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm looking to start back up. What's the standard Echo loadout, and standard Ebretch or whatever loadout?

VI, gunner, ACD, and FCS for the gunner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Echo - VI, Adv. Cloaking

Turr Phennir - Predator, Stealth Device

Back Stabber - Stealth Device

Academy Pilot

How does this look? I also have 3 points to play with.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

An interceptor without PTL makes me sad

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

zVxTeflon posted:

An interceptor without PTL makes me sad

Same, I think it really needs it.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Turr is a special case. Already kinda has it built in.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Is there any way to make Maarek Stele usable?

Sup, |Wang?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 18, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Turr is a special case. Already kinda has it built in.

Yeah, but doing two actions after he fires is pretty goddamned glorious sometimes.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

7thBatallion posted:

Is there any way to make Maarek Stele usable?

Well now that Decoy is a thing you could get him to shoot later/last.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Woot. So this should be here in a few weeks, then Wave 5 at Gencon?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

alg posted:

Woot. So this should be here in a few weeks, then Wave 5 at Gencon?

Score.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I bought this game a long time ago and finally got around to contacting FFG about my damaged tie fighter. Impressed with how fast they responded!

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Only 3 people at my FLGS tonight, with Regionals tomorrow at another store on the other side of town. My first experience with Wave 4. I flew:

2x Onyx w/ Ion Cannon
Soontir w/PtL, Stealth

Turns out that 4k turning directly in front of 3 Rookies plus Etahn is a good way to lose 3 hull and 3 shields in a turn. If only he'd gone 3 forward with the X-Wings instead of 2.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by cannons on Defenders. Anybody got a build they particularly like?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Rexler w/HLC and Outmaneuver. Spits four dice all day long, ignores defense dice from range, takes away more defense dice when you get a good line-up, and flips hits to crits with a focus. It's like being at short range all day long. That's a solid 47 points, though. Bump it up to 50 with a Stealth Device, and then fill the remaining 50 with Academies and either take the guaranteed initiative or try to get a higher PS TIE (not particularly worth it, I don't think).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I cant wait for the Outrider and Imp Falcon to come out. Wave 4 has killed my interest in this game with phantoms being the only W4 ship that anyone ever plays and how annoying they are on both sides

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Finally, my childhood dreams of having Han Solo, Dash Rendar and Luke Skywalker all fighting against Darth Vader and Boba Fett can be realized!

Thank you Fantasy Flight :allears:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Strobe posted:

Rexler w/HLC and Outmaneuver. Spits four dice all day long, ignores defense dice from range, takes away more defense dice when you get a good line-up, and flips hits to crits with a focus. It's like being at short range all day long. That's a solid 47 points, though. Bump it up to 50 with a Stealth Device, and then fill the remaining 50 with Academies and either take the guaranteed initiative or try to get a higher PS TIE (not particularly worth it, I don't think).

I just read the Rulebook, no combat experience whatsoever, but are Academy Pilots that much more useful than taking a few named pilots and giving them some combat upgrades?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

7thBatallion posted:

I just read the Rulebook, no combat experience whatsoever, but are Academy Pilots that much more useful than taking a few named pilots and giving them some combat upgrades?

Academy swarms and mini-swarms basically run on the drown them in expendable bodies approach. A group of them is just dangerous enough it can't be outright ignored, and it takes your opponent a lot longer to kill four cheap ships than a single elite.

That said, I imagine running a pair of Royal Guard interceptors with PtL might also be an effective, if insanely risky, build with HLC Rexler.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Which is kind of the Empire's actual tactics: Lots of manpower, running cheap ships without shields, hyperdrive, and even ability to land everywhere.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

7thBatallion posted:

In addition to what others said, moving first with a cheap, fast, maneuverable ship can be very useful. They're great for moving first and getting them into other ship's paths on purpose, forcing them to bump you and lose their actions and be unable to shoot the rear end in a top hat TIE that caused the traffic jam. Don't underestimate them either, attack dice are attack dice, and while they're not great, a point of damage here and there adds up.

zVxTeflon posted:

I cant wait for the Outrider and Imp Falcon to come out. Wave 4 has killed my interest in this game with phantoms being the only W4 ship that anyone ever plays and how annoying they are on both sides

You live in a strange place if no one is running the other W4 ships. The Defender and Z-95 are common here, and I see a fair number of E-Wings (which I think are too expensive to not have a maneuver dial that's better, but hey). Phantoms are great though, to be sure, and they're going to be one of the factors that helps keep 4-ship lists from being the "standard" list I think. Wave 4 really shook things up with powerful/durable Imp fighters and cheap Rebel chaff being introduced.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Gate posted:

In addition to what others said, moving first with a cheap, fast, maneuverable ship can be very useful. They're great for moving first and getting them into other ship's paths on purpose, forcing them to bump you and lose their actions and be unable to shoot the rear end in a top hat TIE that caused the traffic jam. Don't underestimate them either, attack dice are attack dice, and while they're not great, a point of damage here and there adds up.

You live in a strange place if no one is running the other W4 ships. The Defender and Z-95 are common here, and I see a fair number of E-Wings (which I think are too expensive to not have a maneuver dial that's better, but hey). Phantoms are great though, to be sure, and they're going to be one of the factors that helps keep 4-ship lists from being the "standard" list I think. Wave 4 really shook things up with powerful/durable Imp fighters and cheap Rebel chaff being introduced.

…and to combine these two, I tried to pull out a 4× Bandit + 4× Tala squadron Z-95s setup when we had a friendly game at home around here. When faced with having to chew through 32 points of shields and hull, my friends decided that it wasn't a friendly game any more and that lots of harsh words were in order until I changed my mind.

I maintain that this counts as a “win” through walkover :D

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I've only played once with the epic ship and wave 4 cards, but I'd like to build my own list with 3+ Z-95s.

This is what I came up with first, but it doesn't seem to generate enough attack dice. Any suggestions?

Dutch Vander/Y-Wing (23)
- R4-D6 (1)
- Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Garven Dreis/X-Wing (26)
Lieutenant Blount/Z-95 Headhunter (17)
- Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
- Deadeye (1)
Bandit Squadron Pilot/Z-95 Headhunter (12)
Bandit Squadron Pilot/Z-95 Headhunter (12)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Strobe posted:

Would Engine Upgrade be useful in this situation, getting you to range 1 in a back arc if you weren't already?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

7thBatallion posted:

Would Engine Upgrade be useful in this situation, getting you to range 1 in a back arc if you weren't already?

Not strictly necessary. HLC already rolls 4 dice at range 2-3. It just can't crit by itself, so Rexler needs a focus to flip received damage cards after the fact.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Dulkor posted:

Not strictly necessary. HLC already rolls 4 dice at range 2-3. It just can't crit by itself, so Rexler needs a focus to flip received damage cards after the fact.

Good point. And I assume the odds of Ion Pulse Torpedos actually drifting a YT-1300 off board are slim?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

7thBatallion posted:

Good point. And I assume the odds of Ion Pulse Torpedos actually drifting a YT-1300 off board are slim?

If your opponent is brain dead it's not that hard, but a good player should keep the missiles in mind when maneuvering.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I feel like playing Rebels tomorrow. What are some go-to Rebel list now?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

7thBatallion posted:

Emphatic no. You need to focus to turn those damage into crits.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

adamantium|wang posted:

Maybe we need to think outside the box:

Ordered, and I am going make a whole goddamn expnasion for this.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Played some more against Tekopo this afternoon, here's what I ran (I probably have a lot of his upgrades wrong, since I didn't memorise his lists, so Tekopo can correct me if needed):

Game 1
Royal Guard Push the Limit
Sabre Squadron
3x Alpha Squadron

vs.

Tekopo's serious list
Etahn A'baht
Ten Numb Advanced Sensors
Airen Cracken
Bandit Squadron

I basically got summarily destroyed. Granted, I didn't really fly the list that well, but my plan of "drive the three Alphas up the middle so the RG and Sabre can flank the enemy" did not work at all; the Alphas got destroyed in two turns without managing to do anything thanks to their abysmal PS1, and the RG/Sabre were deployed way out of range to do anything due to also having lower PSes than most of what Tekopo could field. Five Interceptors is a dumb gimmick that can't work and I'm giving up on running Interceptors without PtL, or Interceptors other than Soontir Fel. Wish I hadn't bought three blisters of them, I should've saved myself £26. :(

Game 2
Krassis Trelix Heavy Laser Cannon, Mercenary Copilot
Howlrunner
3x Academy Pilot

vs.

Tekopo's dumb ion cannon gimmick list
2x Gold Squadron Ion Cannon Turret
2x Blue Squadron Ion Cannon

This did much better, on account of my not flying a dumb gimmick list and Tekopo not flying a good list. Despite the absurd amount of punishment the B- and Y-wings can take, I managed some okay formation flying with the TIEs and thus landed some good damage his ships. Tekopo hadn't noticed the rear firing arc on the Firespray-31, so that managed to catch him off-guard and got me a B-wing kill. :v:

All in all, this was a pretty good list but Howlrunner died too soon to contribute anything (I hosed up in the middle of an asteroid field and had to split the swarm so she only affected two shots in the entire game, and then Tekopo focus-fired her and killed her in one turn) to contribute anything and I wondered if I shouldn't just take four regular TIEs instead. I lost two TIEs and Howlrunner, but Trelix survived with 5 hull left and Tekopo forfeited when he was down to one Y-wing with no shields.

Game 3
Krassis Trelix Heavy Laser Cannon, Mercenary Copilot, Stealth Device
4x Obsidian Squadron

vs.

Tekopo's "let's try out the YT-1300" list
Chewbacca C3PO crew
Tycho Celchu Push the Limit, Proton Rocket, Munitions Failsafe
Arvel Crynyd

I think the YT-1300 made my shitlist as a result of this game. While it didn't do a huge amount, my focus-firing it meant that Tekopo's A-wings managed to essentially wipe out everything. An early proton rocket hit on the Firespray took off 3 of my shields before the game had properly started, and then chip damage from Tycho and Arvel eventually did the Firespray in. The Falcon was really nasty since it's immune to critical effects, C3PO always guarantees it one evade and it has a 3-dice primary that gives no shits about firing arcs; ignoring it would have been a mistake, but it turned out not ignoring it was also a mistake since I couldn't touch the A-wings, which eventually wiped out my TIEs with 5 HP left between the two of them.

Arvel's ability turned out to be surprisingly good in play, but he's in the somewhat dubious position of being a pilot who would be totally better if his PS were one or two points lower so he could block more efficiently.

Despite my better judgement (although it's still nowhere near as ugly as the Defender), I've ordered a Phantom, so the next game I play I will probably try to run one of the following two lists:

Echo Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking
Soontir Fel Push the Limit, Stealth Device
Carnor Jax Push the Limit, Stealth Device

Or, for kicks, a two-ship Imperial list:

Echo Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking, Gunner, Fire Control System
Kath Scarlet Marksmanship, Heavy Laser Cannon, Mercenary Copilot, Shield Upgrade

(The second list has four points to spare, so no idea what I'll put in there.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I went for etahn and ten numb with marksmanship and advanced sensors: I really liked the combo. I'm thinking if getting another b-wing and making it a 3 ship list instead of the two z-95s though.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I basically got summarily destroyed. Granted, I didn't really fly the list that well, but my plan of "drive the three Alphas up the middle so the RG and Sabre can flank the enemy" did not work at all; the Alphas got destroyed in two turns without managing to do anything thanks to their abysmal PS1, and the RG/Sabre were deployed way out of range to do anything due to also having lower PSes than most of what Tekopo could field. Five Interceptors is a dumb gimmick that can't work and I'm giving up on running Interceptors without PtL, or Interceptors other than Soontir Fel. Wish I hadn't bought three blisters of them, I should've saved myself £26. :(

It's a really hit and miss gimmick, but now that a few lists are running Etahn it's made even harder, because Squints ain't poo poo if they dishin' out crits. I've had to retire the PS1 and PS3 Interceptors for the moment too because I just am not having the same good time as I was before. Mercifully PtL Interceptors are alright still.

Etahn is actually useful too because he's a lower PS pilot so he can benefit from his own ability, AND the rest of his squad can use it all the time. Pair it with the fact that most Imperial ships lack shields and it's a real winner. I reckon it was designed to clear the field of generic Interceptors.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

It's a really hit and miss gimmick, but now that a few lists are running Etahn it's made even harder, because Squints ain't poo poo if they dishin' out crits. I've had to retire the PS1 and PS3 Interceptors for the moment too because I just am not having the same good time as I was before. Mercifully PtL Interceptors are alright still.

Yeah. Someone suggested a 4x RG with PtL list and I reckon that could work decently - PS6 and PtL is a good mix. Sadly, I don't own two Imperial Aces and I'm trying to keep my lists tournament-legal.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Tekopo's "let's try out the YT-1300" list
Chewbacca C3PO crew
Tycho Celchu Push the Limit, Proton Rocket, Munitions Failsafe
Arvel Crynyd

I really like the look of this list, but it comes out at 101 points for me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I really like the look of this list, but it comes out at 101 points for me.
Arvel had chaardan refit.

This also allowed me to get munition fail safes on tycho.

Edit: errr I mean draw their fire on chewie.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Rebel scum clearly cheated, Imperials win again by default :911:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Arvel had chaardan refit.

This also allowed me to get munition fail safes on tycho.

Edit: errr I mean draw their fire on chewie.

Is that card not out yet?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is that card not out yet?
Nope, but neither is proton rockets. I wanted to try out some of the new rebel aces stuff for a-wings.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, yeah: on top of the Echo/Soontir/Jax and Echo/Kath lists, I will probably also try a mini Howl swarm with Soontir. That will probably also work a lot better than any list with multiple Inties in it. :(

e; something like this: http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!28:18:-1:1:;18:9:-1:1:;12:9:-1:-1:;16::-1:-1:;10::-1:-1:

Alternatively, I could fit Turr Phennir in instead of Howlrunner: http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!28:18:-1:1:;27:27:-1:1:;11::-1:-1:;11::-1:-1:;10::-1:-1:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 21, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm really liking Tycho with push the limit by the way: if you aren't worried about k-turns you can just build up stress tokens. You can more or less k-turn with a sharp 1 turn and a banked boost anyway. With proton rockets he also has the punch that he needs to do damage as well (or chaardan refit to make him cheaper). Can't wait for rebel aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I'm really liking Tycho with push the limit by the way: if you aren't worried about k-turns you can just build up stress tokens. You can more or less k-turn with a sharp 1 turn and a banked boost anyway. With proton rockets he also has the punch that he needs to do damage as well (or chaardan refit to make him cheaper). Can't wait for rebel aces.

This is good to hear. The A-Wing is my favorite ship so I'm really hoping I can use them with Rebel Aces

• Locked thread