Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germ
May 7, 2013

Those are marvelous - wonderful paint job, wonderful color selection! The blue is rich, and the gold and yellow pop like nobody's business. I really hope you keep up the freehand insignia. An entire army of those would be amazing.

Edit: I can't spell.

Germ fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I have the Dark Vengeance box set and I just put some chaos bits on the Dark Angel dudes and was like " Yeah their Dark Angels that fell to chaos deal with it".

The bikes are pretty easy to convert as well. Sure some of the models have icons on them but I mean if you want you could I guess file them or dremel them off.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Those are rad as hell Thousand Sons. I've always had a soft spot for them but been too much of a filthy power-gaming win-haver to actually field them. They look awesome though!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Can I… um… have that back now? :v:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
We're doing an Escalation League at the local store, and the community has given a lot of input into it. It's pretty cool, a lot of us are pumped, and it's a good excuse for everyone to paint that second army they have laying around for whatever reason. You start at 500, add about 250 a month, and for the first two months play with modified Force Orgs to keep things from being too crazy early on - no things with more than 2 wounds (except HQs, troops, and swarms, so you can bring a Captain and Nids have more options,) no vehicles with more than AV 12 on any facing, and no Flyers/FMCs for the 500 points, for example. Restrictive, but everything gets added back in as points go up - by 1250, you can run whatever as you tack things on.

I had a dude tell me today that he had no interest in the League because he couldn't bring a Knight to a 500 point game. When I tried explaining to him how that's not fun for his opponents and goes against the spirit of the League he just gave me a look like he couldn't process what the hell I was talking about.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Played a tourney today with my orks. Wound up on the top table in the final round against... Orks!!

I lost and wound up coming 6th overall. He played a green tide with 3 war bosses and lots of buggies and koptas. I played a bit of a hodgepodge of stuff which wasn't really capable of dealing with his list (though it annihilated necrons and white scars. But it was awesome to see ork armies doing well at this event.

That said, the Morkanaut is pretty bad. It did a good job of drawing fire away from my trukk and battle wagon and the force field came in handy but in the end it's too slow and the guns have no synergy. He'll probably sit in my cabinet from now on.

The games were a combination of eternal war missions with a modified marlstrom deck. Orks are very good at getting those maelstrom objectives. And the lucky stix are amazing. I had a mega boss at the front of a boyz unit pretty much take an entire Necron army's shooting to the face and shrugged off the lot.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I love oil washes and I am pumped to see you use them. I hate being a broken record in the painting thread.

Your kickass tanks and tutorials are the reason why I want to try them :allears:
A lot of things going on in life right now that prevent me from painting my little toy space robot cult though.

I see the orks decided to drop giant smarties on the battlefield.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, bizarrely, all the terrain in that store is painted up like that... Maybe so no one can steal it.

You'd be spotted miles away.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The Morkanaut is a support vehicle, and a fairly good one in my opinion but for larger point games only. Its got survivability and if given some Meks can only be taken down by a one shot rolling a 5-6 (AP1-2). I like it but I understand its not super optimised.

I wanted some advice now that Im painting up my Knight. I want a nice dark green, and I like how caliban green -> warpstone glow is looking but I want to get a decent wash on it to darken it up. I have a set of the older washes (devlan mud/thraka green etc) and new black and brown (Nuln/Agrax) washes. What do you guys recommend? I was then going to edge highlight with Warpstone after darkening the overall green.

Trim colour will be black.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are those the shoulder pads or do knights come with bits for a Sister of Battle conversion?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Honestly, ork players, you may not be a fan of flash gitz in the game, but I just put together the kit last night and I was up til 5 in the morning. It's the coolest kit I've ever seen.

If you like the modeling aspect of this game as much as I do, you should pick some up. I do not feel ripped off at fifty dollars, that's how great the kit was.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

That raptor lord is sincerely awesome, no argument against the outcome, but looking at it I feel like you could have just used all raptor box components as the base for the metals and other distinctive bits you added, and probably come out ahead both money and effort wise :shrug:

I totally could've. I'm not going to pretend I make intelligent purchasing decisions when it comes to 40k. :v: I'm not trying to tell anyone to go out and grab a $20 model just because. I just wanted a character that would really stand out in a big squad of raptors and I came up with that guy. I get why GW is tossing it into the new Dark Vengeance, but it would've been nice to see something new. On the plus side, that aspiring champion model will be going for like $5 on ebay now.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Since all 100 Boyz in the Green Tide detachment count as a "single unit" (but count as 10 VPs if they're all wiped out) does that mean that they have to assault a single unit together, or can all 10 squads function more or less independently from one another for the purposes of shooting and assaulting?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Ignite Memories posted:

Honestly, ork players, you may not be a fan of flash gitz in the game, but I just put together the kit last night and I was up til 5 in the morning. It's the coolest kit I've ever seen.

If you like the modeling aspect of this game as much as I do, you should pick some up. I do not feel ripped off at fifty dollars, that's how great the kit was.

You can mix the torsos with the nob kit too, they out did themselves.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I'm kinda bummed about this ork/space wolves set being limited edition. I wonder why GW thought they'd make more money doing a limited print run of these instead of making something for the people that already had dark vengeance. Maybe they thought no one would buy the re-released dark vengeance if there was another "starter" box around?

In any case, I'm bummed because this would give me a good chance to paint some space wolves that I'd otherwise never buy and give some additional orks to sit in a box with my AoBR ork sprues.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Is anyone else having issues getting GW stuff ordered through their LGS? I placed an order for a Trukk, a buggy and a mek gun 3 weeks ago. They have been unable to get their GW rep to ship the order and have told me this has been an issue for a while now with GW sending incomplete orders or none at all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I went on GW's site to check out the new bundles - they actually save you money! Not a ton, but something. The Zagstrukk + 15 stormboyz set saves you about $12, as does the Flash Gitz + Badrukk + ammo runts bundle. The ones that go with the new board save you $50 or more. Not terrible, really. Still pricey, but not terrible.

TheChirurgeon posted:

So I just bought Fix's Thousand Sons. The army he sent over was 3rd edition as gently caress, and thus completely awesome. I won't be diving into these guys fully yet, but I wanted to do a test model for the rank-and-file dudes since I haven't done Thousand Sons yet. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, using a mix of Kantor and Lothern Blue for the body.

I also like how the army insignia came out, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to freehand that on every model. That said, I'll probably get faster as I go.

I think eventually I'm gonna do a few with flames like the ones shown in the old Chaos 2nd edition codex. Those look pretty rad.

Duuuuude. Quoting these for the new page because everyone needs to see how boss this dude is. I thought that freehand was actually a transfer - you've really outdone yourself on that Thousand Son. I think you were born to paint this army.

CyberLord XP posted:

Is anyone else having issues getting GW stuff ordered through their LGS? I placed an order for a Trukk, a buggy and a mek gun 3 weeks ago. They have been unable to get their GW rep to ship the order and have told me this has been an issue for a while now with GW sending incomplete orders or none at all.
Ignite Memories, you've been having trouble getting GW stuff through your FLGS too, haven't you?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I gave up on compleat strategist and bought the gitz from Pandemonium. At least they had a decent selection.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

drgnvale posted:

I'm kinda bummed about this ork/space wolves set being limited edition. I wonder why GW thought they'd make more money doing a limited print run of these instead of making something for the people that already had dark vengeance. Maybe they thought no one would buy the re-released dark vengeance if there was another "starter" box around?

In any case, I'm bummed because this would give me a good chance to paint some space wolves that I'd otherwise never buy and give some additional orks to sit in a box with my AoBR ork sprues.

I ordered the Ork/SW box and I'm planning on selling the models to my friends at $60/half, but the deal isn't 100% locked down. I'm definitely keeping the rulebook, but if my friends decide to pass I'll offer this thread the same deal. So stay tuned!

EDIT: Also, according to BOLS, they're planning on doing something else like this every six months. It's BOLS so take it with a grain of salt but I think that's a pretty believable rumor.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Duuuuude. Quoting these for the new page because everyone needs to see how boss this dude is. I thought that freehand was actually a transfer - you've really outdone yourself on that Thousand Son. I think you were born to paint this army.

Thanks! I actually hate the gently caress out of transfers. I hate how tedious they are to apply, I hate how they tear, I hate how they look when applied, and I hate how they have to be painted over. I basically freehand every single shoulder pad that isn't detailed, including the Tactical/Assault/Devastator designation on my White Panthers.

VVVV Come at me, bro

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 19, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
freehand for life

edit: i hate that you made me dig out these thousand sons and these loving upgrade packs holy poo poo

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So me and Esser-Z have been playing Vassal 40k with each other for the past few nights; he's practicing Tau since he's buying them, while I'm giving the Space Wolves a spin since they came out shortly before I dropped out of 40k. My problem, asides from having to get up to speed with the dumb new rules changes (Random everything! Universal psyker powers! OVERWATCH), is that I get cut to ribbons well before I can get into facepunching range.

Currently my list is Wolf Lord with runic armour on thunderwolf with 5 of his buddies all carrying storm shields, a Wolf Priest in terminator armour with 5 terminator Frost Axe/SS Wolf Guard in a Land Raider Redeemer, two squads of grey hunters in rhinos, one with double plasma and one with double melta and Long Fangs with missile launchers in a heavy bolter Razorback. This is probably a terrible list given that I haven't played since 5th edition. :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

This is probably a terrible list given that I haven't played since 5th edition. :v:

In my experience a terrible list can still do well provided you're blessed with a gaming circle that loves that kind of list-building! I've been playing melee-centric Tyranids lately and it's been going remarkably well for some stupid reason, probably because the people I'm playing with have as terrible if not worse lists. My proof is this extremely blurry cellphone camera of a Carnifex Brood successfully reaching an infantry platoon which somehow couldn't stop them despite being backed up by a Basilisk battery and a Leman Russ:

tl;dr Never stop dreaming. No one can take away your dreams.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Huh, so despite a lot of the independent retailers being sold out of the stormclaw thing, the nearby GW had a ton in stock so I grabbed one while out getting new house stuff. I wish I could return my full rulebook box now; a mini rulebook is so much more convenient and I'll never look at the other two books.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How many points do people feel comfortable 'giving up'? I mean how many points under a game's point limit do you feel comfortable bringing? In a 500 point game yeah I don't want to leave 75 points on the table but like 100 points under a 3k point game can't be a huge deal, can it?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
+++THOUGHT FOR THE DAY+++

+++ORKS+++

++IS+++

+++DA+++

+++BEST+++

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

drgnvale posted:

Huh, so despite a lot of the independent retailers being sold out of the stormclaw thing, the nearby GW had a ton in stock

These two facts are very likely related, FYI.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

These two facts are very likely related, FYI.

That's such a shame. Five years ago when I managed a FLGS type place in Perth we would frequently trade stock with the local GW whenever we were out of stock. If it was a big release or there was some delay we'd just loan each other a half dozen starters or codices whatever and just trade them back when our shipment came in. I wonder if that was just a personal thing or if there's more of a competitive culture now.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

How many points do people feel comfortable 'giving up'? I mean how many points under a game's point limit do you feel comfortable bringing? In a 500 point game yeah I don't want to leave 75 points on the table but like 100 points under a 3k point game can't be a huge deal, can it?

Do you mean as a handicap or just not spending all the agreed upon points for shits and giggles? In the former case, it would really depend on the army, player and scenario. In the latter, only those I can't figure out how to spend. I'd rather add an upgrade or unit of questionable value than nothing at all. You're right that giving up 100 points in a 3000 point game won't be a huge deal, but those 100 points could buy you another troop unit or a bunch of little wargear upgrades that might come in handy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Played my first game in maybe ten years, an Apocalypse game styled after the Armageddon games they ran at Games Day that played hard and fast with the rules. One of the Ork players even got the chance to field the official armor cast gargant for the first time since he bought it new over twenty years ago.

They put a pic of it on the groups FB page

Back when GW's model design was less mayhem and more muppet.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 20, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What's the name of that short story where Space Marines drop pod down to try and save a refugee convoy but all get wiped out in the effort?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

+++THOUGHT FOR THE DAY+++

+++ORKS+++

++IS+++

+++DA+++

+++BEST+++

Jobs a good 'un! I really like your skin tone.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cassa posted:

What's the name of that short story where Space Marines drop pod down to try and save a refugee convoy but all get wiped out in the effort?

Fall of Malvolion, by Dan Abnett. It rules, and it's about the Lamenters, the saddest chapter.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

SRM posted:

Fall of Malvolion, by Dan Abnett. It rules, and it's about the Tyranids, the saddest codex.

Fixed.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

You know what. I think the dark angels are the saddest codex.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Since all 100 Boyz in the Green Tide detachment count as a "single unit" (but count as 10 VPs if they're all wiped out) does that mean that they have to assault a single unit together, or can all 10 squads function more or less independently from one another for the purposes of shooting and assaulting?

They function exactly like they would if you bought them all as one gigantic squad, so they must all shoot at a single target. They can potentially charge more than one target using the normal multiassault rules, but that can be difficult to achieve. It's the big limiter on the formation- getting to Waaaagh ever turn is nice, but having those 700+pts tied up into a single unit is often very limiting.

Forums Terrorist posted:

So me and Esser-Z have been playing Vassal 40k with each other for the past few nights; he's practicing Tau since he's buying them, while I'm giving the Space Wolves a spin since they came out shortly before I dropped out of 40k. My problem, asides from having to get up to speed with the dumb new rules changes (Random everything! Universal psyker powers! OVERWATCH), is that I get cut to ribbons well before I can get into facepunching range.

Currently my list is Wolf Lord with runic armour on thunderwolf with 5 of his buddies all carrying storm shields, a Wolf Priest in terminator armour with 5 terminator Frost Axe/SS Wolf Guard in a Land Raider Redeemer, two squads of grey hunters in rhinos, one with double plasma and one with double melta and Long Fangs with missile launchers in a heavy bolter Razorback. This is probably a terrible list given that I haven't played since 5th edition. :v:

I think your big problem here is that your list is very top-heavy. You've got two HQs, neither of which are particularly cheap, a Land Raider stuffed with guys (and very expensive guys at that), plus a unit of decked-out Thunderwolves. You seem like you're going REALLY heavy on upgrades, which means you're just not able to bring very many bodies to the table- and Tau are great at putting out S5-7 firepower that will just force a bunch of saves on you and make all of those upgrades meaningless.

The standout example is all of those Storm Shields- at 15pts each, that adds up really quickly; you could buy a full 10man unit of Grey Hunters just by removing the Storm Shields from your two assault units. Now, I don't think completely removing them would be the way to go- you want to keep a couple so you have guys to soak up wounds for you at the right time- but running maximum Storm Shields all the time is very pricey, especially on Terminators (as SW have to pay through the nose for them.)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cataphract posted:

Don't remind me :smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Dark Angels are the saddest Codex, more than Tyranids.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Cataphract posted:

I think Orks take the cake with the new mob rule. I've taken to just shouting out pinning orders to my 10 man squads and then watching the ork player curl down and cry as he faces 4+ pinning tests per turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SRM posted:

Fall of Malvolion, by Dan Abnett. It rules, and it's about the Lamenters, the saddest chapter.

They were wiped out by the Lapdog Minotaurs chapter, right?

• Locked thread