Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You don't have to actually install Wine for the Winbox port, just download someone else's port of it.

Only issue is that it takes a little while to initially load, and when Winbox fails a connection it closes the program by default, so you have to constantly open/close Winbox manually to make a new connection or such.

I just use a VM of Windows for Winbox needs, as it runs a little faster than the wine port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Is an RB333/RB433 going to have enough beef to run a modern small home LAN? I don't need breakneck bandwidth but do want dual band and N. This is going in an RV and our WAN will be provided via a roof mount Ubiquiti nanostation, and we have a wired LAN so need multiple ethernet ports. Thinking one of these with a R52N card should be a good start? I got burned on this Netgear and am tired of dealing with crap.

If it is a bad idea to pick up one of these used, I'd really appreciate a suggestion for an in-production model that will cover the bases here.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

It will work fine. It's got plenty of power for home use.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Cool, grabbed that for $40 shipped, seems like a great deal. Can I save a few bucks with a compatible non-Mikrotik wifi card, or should I pony up for the R52N?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Cool, grabbed that for $40 shipped, seems like a great deal. Can I save a few bucks with a compatible non-Mikrotik wifi card, or should I pony up for the R52N?

It should work okay with whatever minipci card you have. Atheros chipsets are preferred.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
Possibly stupid question regarding gear selection (I'm not really a network admin, it just comes up now and then):

My brother in law and in-laws have adjacent properties; the main houses are about 1/3-1/2 a mile apart with some semi-sparse tree cover in between. (There is also a slight elevation difference, on the order of 20' or so.) One house has a satellite uplink and the usual consumer router/AP setup (I forget the brand, possibly netgear; it came from the provider if I remember right). Would it be feasible to connect the house-with-internet to the house-without using something like a pair of SXT-Lite2s? (Or Lite5s?) Then I'm guessing the "remote" house would have its own router/AP (e.g. 951 series or the like). In order to set up wifi roaming, I'm guessing WDS is the acronym to look for information on? The backhaul link configs don't look too bad between a pair of SXTs so I'm not too worried about that, but more the range/mounting question (need poles/lightening protection, I guess?) and how much of a pain wifi roaming would be to set up in a scenario like that.

Anyone have experience with something like this? Any pitfalls/gotchas?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

volkadav posted:

My brother in law and in-laws have adjacent properties; the main houses are about 1/3-1/2 a mile apart with some semi-sparse tree cover in between.

It's not optimal because trees mess up wifi signals but go buy a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5's, put one at each house and point them at each other and then forget about them existing because you should have a hella huge link between the houses that runs forever.

Basically.

der_tsu
Jul 25, 2012

volkadav posted:

My brother in law and in-laws have adjacent properties; the main houses are about 1/3-1/2 a mile apart with some semi-sparse tree cover in between.[…]

Aye! What is a »semi-sparse tree cover«? How much trees? How thick and dense (→ water, dampening) is their crown? Does the Fresnel zone touch ground?… You see, it is hard to give good advice without actually visiting your location, or having a very good photo covering both sites (aerial, and one from the side). That goes especially for recommending an antenna.

900 MHz will be better than 2.4 GHz, which is better than 5 GHz for the given scenario. 5 GHz will be dampened more.

My advice based on experience and guesstimation is this:
• SXT Lite 2 or SXT Lite 5? → I've had problems with several SXT 5. Go for the 2 GHz one.
• If you can, get a non-lite version.
• If your regulatory restrictions allow it, get a: Metal 9HPn and directional antenna. 900 MHz rocks, even if trees are in the Fresnel zone.
• If you can afford it, get a QRT-2 or Metal 2SHPn + antenna.

EDIT: awful grammar and typos

der_tsu fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 4, 2014

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
Right on, thanks folks!

Semi-sparse trees = the kind of dry, scrubby "trees" you'd expect to find in a part of the American southwest that doesn't get very much rain; cedars mostly I think. They're even kind of green, sometimes! But that might be the heatstroke talking... ;) It isn't exactly desert land but you could be forgiven for thinking so during most months.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ugh, I've had poo poo luck with the dozen odd Metals we have deployed. You could get the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 to get 2.4GHz gear that will work better through trees. MikroTik stuff is fine but for this application I would stick with the Ubiquiti gear.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Well, that was a short honeymoon.

I got my R52N card, and nothing was showing up in Winbox so I figured i would upgrade from ancient 3.30 to somethign newer. After getting 4.17 on there, I dropped the 5.26 file into Files, rebooted and.....the thing's a brick now. The green LED is staying on, no powerup beeps at all, no network function. What the gently caress did I just do?

I google "rb333 green LED stays on" and get a terrifying document talking about replacing RAM chips and inductors. Did I get hosed on this?

I did upgrade the license coming out of 3.30 successfully.

e: Something about netinstall but the gender is wrong on my USB to serial adapter so now I get to buy more poo poo to fix this....ugh.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 12, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Netinstall#Configuring_RouterBOARD_without_COM_port

AFAIK you can do this all over ethernet.

edit: Couldn't find your board on routerboard.com but Tom Harker still has the manual on his store http://www.roc-noc.com/product.php?productid=12 if you need it

edit2: Do you have the right serial cable? It probably takes a null modem cable. Many moons ago you could find that sort of thing at Radio Shack.

edit3: You probably thought of all this already, good luck.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 12, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
AAAAAAH and now i can't run Netinstall because windows 7 64-bit and I can't turn off whatever antivirus is causing it to fail bind() operations. Trying to stay cool, I like the hardware but am becoming frustrated pretty fast. Supposedly these boards take 6.xx just fine even. I even tested the voltages to make sure its not a blown regulator or whatever, all perfect.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Jonny 290 posted:

AAAAAAH and now i can't run Netinstall because windows 7 64-bit and I can't turn off whatever antivirus is causing it to fail bind() operations. Trying to stay cool, I like the hardware but am becoming frustrated pretty fast. Supposedly these boards take 6.xx just fine even. I even tested the voltages to make sure its not a blown regulator or whatever, all perfect.

Unless it has changed over the years you can upgrade to two major numbers higher than what the board shipped with. If it originally came with 3.x you are stuck at 5.x

Can you run it in XP compatibility mode?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I had this problem with a rb2011 and this solved it (disable the "network list service" service)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, tried that, rebooted into safe mode to disable MsMpEng.exe, disabled windows firewall, i'm tearing my hair out. I'm not really wanting to spend an afternoon building an XP machine so I can _maybe_ recover a $40 router

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, tried that, rebooted into safe mode to disable MsMpEng.exe, disabled windows firewall, i'm tearing my hair out. I'm not really wanting to spend an afternoon building an XP machine so I can _maybe_ recover a $40 router

Does XP compatibility mode in your win7 install help at all? If you have Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate there's also the full Windows XP mode VM you can install from:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Great minds think alike - i just finished installing XP mode and will try from there.

I fired up wireshark and its sending bootp requests and such, so I guess it's not bricked. Still, annoying.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm still ripping my hair out. Why is this thing not routing packets?

Bridge for ether3 (lan) and wifi

i'm getting dhcp
i can ping 8.8.8.8 from the router
i can ping the router from the client

code:
# jul/12/2014 21:10:03 by RouterOS 6.15
# software id = CV65-5FYG
#
/interface bridge
add l2mtu=1632 name=LAN-bridge
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=Admin
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] name=LAN
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] name=WAN
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n disabled=no frequency=2462 l2mtu=2290 mode=ap-bridge ssid=Hausbus
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys wpa2-pre-shared-key=NAW
/ip hotspot user profile
set [ find default=yes ] idle-timeout=none keepalive-timeout=2m mac-cookie-timeout=3d
/ip ipsec proposal
set [ find default=yes ] enc-algorithms=3des
/ip pool
add name=pool1 ranges=10.0.3.101-10.0.3.200
/ip dhcp-server
add add-arp=yes address-pool=pool1 disabled=no interface=LAN-bridge name=server1
/port
set 0 name=serial0
/system logging action
set 0 memory-lines=100
set 1 disk-lines-per-file=100
set 3 remote=0.0.0.0
/interface bridge port
add bridge=LAN-bridge interface=LAN
add bridge=LAN-bridge interface=wlan1
/ip address
add address=10.0.3.1/24 interface=LAN-bridge network=10.0.3.0
/ip dhcp-client
add default-route-distance=0 dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=WAN
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=10.0.3.0/24 dns-server=10.0.3.1,4.2.2.4
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=8.8.8.8,4.2.2.4
/ip settings
set accept-redirects=yes
/ip firewall filter
add chain=input comment="Allow ICMP" protocol=icmp
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=WAN
/ip service
set api disabled=yes
/ip upnp
set allow-disable-external-interface=no
/system clock
set time-zone-name=America/Chicago
/system leds
add interface=wlan1 leds=user-led type=wireless-status
/system ntp client
set enabled=yes primary-ntp=97.107.128.58 secondary-ntp=97.107.128.59
/system routerboard settings
set cpu-frequency=333MHz
E: Figured it out. Didnt give the dhcp server a default gateway to hand out, no default route, fizzle. Fixed!

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 13, 2014

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Another thing to do when upgrading the MikroTik OS is to upgrade the routerboard firmware after every jump. Like so:

Board has 3.30 on it. Install 4.17.
Hit Y to accept and reboot.

Ta-da, the routerboard f/w is now upgraded. Apply the next upgrade to 5.26. Log in after 5.26 is live and upgrade the routerboard firmware and reboot. Now hop to 6.x and do the same.

It tends to stop a lot of nightmare moments where the stupid things won't boot right or won't move packets around reliably.

Jonny 290 - glad your problem was a software setting but make sure the underlying routerboard f/w is updated too.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
I have a microtik router at a remote office that I use as a VPN endpoint. Yesterday I was at the site dicking around trying to set up QOS for the VOIP phone they use. I did these three things -

1. Noticed the time was set to 1970 so I set up NTP and got the right time on the router
2. Added some rules in mangle to tag VOIP traffic
3. Tried unsuccessfully to set up some queues for the VOIP traffic

While I was doing that my tunnel dropped back to the home office. Thinking I must have messed something up with the queue's I deleted all of the mangle and queue rules I had set up, but the tunnel still didn't come back up. Since the office was closing for the night I had to leave it like that.

Overnight the tunnel would come up ever 2 hours but only for a few minutes at a time. Around 3am it came back and stayed up until 12pm today. It's down again and I'm not sure what the hell I did.

Any ideas what I hosed up? I'm pretty far from a network guy and I'm seeing I'm way over my head with this stuff.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I would start with exporting the config and looking at everything. Maybe you clicked something you didn't realize in winbox?

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

thebigcow posted:

I would start with exporting the config and looking at everything. Maybe you clicked something you didn't realize in winbox?
The other end of the tunnel is a Cisco ASA. Yesterday I finally had the time to log into it and look at the error messages it was throwing out. I did some googling and ran the commands 'clear crypto ipsec sa' and 'clear crypto isakmp sa' on the ASA. The tunnel came up right away and hasn't gone down since.

I wonder if the time changing on the Mikrotik threw the ASA for a loop and it needed a kick to get going again.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
If time was the problem I'm surprised it ever worked. Oh well.

RouterBoards don't have an actual clock and need a time server for anyone who didn't know.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

thebigcow posted:

If time was the problem I'm surprised it ever worked. Oh well.

RouterBoards don't have an actual clock and need a time server for anyone who didn't know.
Yeah, beats me what the heck happened. Thanks for the help anyway.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Anyone used OpenWRT on a routerboard? I think the new 14.07 RC1 build should support my 951G-2HnD, but the documentation sucks and it would be nice to know how well it works. I'd like to play around with fq_codel and 6rd, which arent supported in RouterOS.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

RouterOS 6.17 is out (yes I see they call it 6.16 in the changelog. Heh, Latvian number):

What's new in 6.16 (2014-Jul-17 13:12):

*) 802.11ac support added in wireless-fp package for QCA9880/9882 rev2 (-BR4A) chips;
*) winbox - fixed random disconnection over encrypted tunnels;
*) l2tp, pptp, pppoe - fixed possible packet corruption when encryption was enabled;
*) ovpn - fixed ethernet mode;
*) certificates - use SHA256 for fingerprinting;
*) ipsec - fix AH proposal and problem when sometimes policy was not generated;
*) snmp - support AES encryption (rfc3826);
*) l2tp server: added option to enable IPsec automatically;
*) poe-out: added power-cycle-ping and power-cycle-interval settings;
*) gps - increased retry duration to 30 seconds;
*) time - on routerboards, current time is saved in configuration on reboot
and on clock adjustment, and is used to set initial time after reboot;
*) sntp - disabling/enabling client was causing dynamic-servers to be ignored
(bug introduced in 6.14);
*) CCR - fixed rare file system corruption when none
of configuration could be changed or some of it disappeared;
*) ipsec - allow multiple encryption algorithms per peer;
*) email - support tls only connections;
*) smb - fixed usb share issues after reboot
*) snmp - fix v3 protocol time window checks;
*) updated timezone information;
*) quickset - added VPN settings for HomeAP mode;
*) latency improvements on CCR devices;

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
what are the new bugs?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

CuddleChunks posted:

RouterOS 6.17 is out (yes I see they call it 6.16 in the changelog. Heh, Latvian number):

Certain models of CCR crashed on 6.16, so they fixed that one thing and just made the whole thing become 6.17. It's basically a 6.16a.

Unrelatedly, I have been tasked to figure out how to test for jitter with a Mikrotik. Anyone have any clues that could guide me in the right path?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
They were too busy designing moustache t-shirts to QA on their CCRs.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Updated the AP in the office to 6.17, now it can't talk to other IPv6 networks despite nothing else changing. I should know better than touching things on read only Friday.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

falz posted:

They were too busy designing moustache t-shirts to QA on their CCRs.

Ahahahha nice.

jeeves posted:

Unrelatedly, I have been tasked to figure out how to test for jitter with a Mikrotik. Anyone have any clues that could guide me in the right path?
This is a place to start:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Tools/Traffic_Generator

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

thebigcow posted:

Updated the AP in the office to 6.17, now it can't talk to other IPv6 networks despite nothing else changing. I should know better than touching things on read only Friday.

You violated rule number one of using RouterOS products: if it's working fine, don't upgrade. Don't upgrade ever unless you have a reason to. They break about as much in upgrades as they manage to fix.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

NOTinuyasha posted:

You violated rule number one of using RouterOS products: if it's working fine, don't upgrade. Don't upgrade ever unless you have a reason to. They break about as much in upgrades as they manage to fix.

Quoting because this is the truth. The sad, hard, awful truth of using MikroTik gear. :(

On the other hand, there's other vendors that love to add surprise breakages in their firmware updates so they're not the only one.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I messed with the default route and then set it back the way I thought it should be and whoopee it works again.

I normally never update firmware on anything. Especially the vast pile of old, out of warranty stuff in my office. This thing is mostly a toy.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Why in the year of our lord 2014 am I not able to put a hostname in for SMTP server?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Because Latvia

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
New newsletter out http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87141

802.11ac devices targeting WISPs and VPN setup in quickset. New version of Winbox in beta.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
6.18 is out

Normis posted some picture of their test setup http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87899

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I expected their test setup to be a joke photo of them all shitfaced in a bar or something flipping the bird at the camera, but it almost seems like they are trying.