Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Plus, if EV tax credits are still in effect, $35,000 would drop to lower than 30k after taxes. It's essentially priced to compete with the Volt (and other entry-level luxury cars like the 3-series).

The flip side is that Tesla loves to account for credits in their pricing - so $35k may well be after all applicable credits, which would kinda suck :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Well if there is anything to be learned from the priorities they took with the model s, they will use a lot of design effort to make the car aerodynamic. I'm a bit bummed out by the range numbers. It's in that not-so-spectacularly-impressive range at 200 miles. The Tesla Model S is fantastic because it has most everything you could want from an electric car. I have a feeling the Model III won't live up to the reputation. They should make it a Model S but smaller with slightly less motor to cut costs down.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

The flip side is that Tesla loves to account for credits in their pricing - so $35k may well be after all applicable credits, which would kinda suck :(

Don't forget they also count the $200 a month you save on gas in the price to. 45k is probably the actual price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

I'm a bit bummed out by the range numbers. It's in that not-so-spectacularly-impressive range at 200 miles.

I'm not. The current crop of EVs makes excellent financial sense to anyone with a 25-30 mile one-way commute, but if you don't have a charger at work, it's just not viable. 100 miles EPA range turns into 60 miles real world range really quickly once you factor in highway cruising and HVAC usage, and that's before you account for battery aging.

200 miles, even at its most optimistic, would still leave me with plenty of range for a 50 mile round trip 70MPH commute, A/C blasting in the summer, plus errands on the way. I can deal with not using it for road trips.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not. The current crop of EVs makes excellent financial sense to anyone with a 25-30 mile one-way commute, but if you don't have a charger at work, it's just not viable. 100 miles EPA range turns into 60 miles real world range really quickly once you factor in highway cruising and HVAC usage, and that's before you account for battery aging.

200 miles, even at its most optimistic, would still leave me with plenty of range for a 50 mile round trip 70MPH commute, A/C blasting in the summer, plus errands on the way. I can deal with not using it for road trips.

It's never been about going somewhere 150 miles away. Rent a car for road trips. It's about the image of electric cars. The general public will only ever understand the basic numbers.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I'm excited about the Model 3 but only if they get rid of the stupid 17" touch display as the center stack. That thing is awful, on my test drive it turned me completely off.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hasters posted:

I'm excited about the Model 3 but only if they get rid of the stupid 17" touch display as the center stack. That thing is awful, on my test drive it turned me completely off.

You have weird tastes, that was by far the coolest part of my test drive that wasn't 0-60 in less than 4 seconds :confused: That thing is amazing and can do all kinds of cool stuff.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think it's dangerous to make drivers use controls they actually have to look at while driving, knobs/buttons are much better for common functions. Doesn't it take multiple taps just to unlock the doors? I'm sure it kills your night vision as well.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

sanchez posted:

I think it's dangerous to make drivers use controls they actually have to look at while driving, knobs/buttons are much better for common functions. Doesn't it take multiple taps just to unlock the doors? I'm sure it kills your night vision as well.

That's my primary complaint as well. I don't fiddle with the knobs a lot while I'm driving, but if I need to I don't want it to be unnecessarily complicated.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Did anyone else notice this part?
"This new plant will produce batteries for all Tesla models, plus customers (rumoured to include Mercedes and Nissan) and a stationary storage programme to store energy from solar and wind farms."

We all know that Nissan is pretty serious about EV. Between the open patent on Tesla chargers and now possibly getting Tesla batteries, will future Nissan's have a much better range and be able to use the charging network? I would really like to see all EVs have the ability to do some type of trips.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
If I had to guess, I'd say Elon is expecting a charging standard to emerge and for the Superchargers to be the base of the new network. Makes sense really. It would suck to have to go to a Ford gas station, for instance.

There's probably plans to convert the Superchargers to charge money in the wings.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Backov posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say Elon is expecting a charging standard to emerge and for the Superchargers to be the base of the new network. Makes sense really. It would suck to have to go to a Ford gas station, for instance.

There's probably plans to convert the Superchargers to charge money in the wings.

A standard is really what I'd like to see and quick chargers at least every 50 miles on interstates, whether it is in rest areas or their own stop offs. Mostly so we can get a majority of people into EVs and the roads have less gross exhaust/oil all over. The lack of travel distance is the only real complaint that I've gotten about my car (in ND). Then again, even my dealership doesn't have a quick charger for the Leaf, as far as I know. So anything is an improvement here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Backov posted:

Tesla superchargers as a standard is exactly what Musk wants. Not for the money, but so his cars become a defacto standard. Well worth it, gvien the power is from renewables - and as I understand, there are no plans to ever charge for the Supercharger stations.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Here's some real world numbers from my first month of Volt ownership:
I have a 23 mile one way commute, about 17 miles of which is highway. Chevy claims 38 miles a charge from the Volt. If I drive in no traffic with sport mode and AC (ECO mode on AC works amazingly well, never had to switch to comfort mode), going 80mph+ on most of the highway, I get to work with an estimated 9 miles left in my EV range. If I drive in normal mode with moderate traffic that limits me to under 70mph, and take it easy on pedal mashing I can get to work with 22 miles left in my estimated range.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Cat Terrist posted:

and as I understand, there are no plans to ever charge for the Supercharger stations.

For Tesla owners. But that is the bonus for owning a tesla.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hillridge posted:

I have a 23 mile one way commute, about 17 miles of which is highway. Chevy claims 38 miles a charge from the Volt. If I drive in no traffic with sport mode and AC (ECO mode on AC works amazingly well, never had to switch to comfort mode), going 80mph+ on most of the highway, I get to work with an estimated 9 miles left in my EV range. If I drive in normal mode with moderate traffic that limits me to under 70mph, and take it easy on pedal mashing I can get to work with 22 miles left in my estimated range.

I have a 22.3mi one way commute, and generally end up doing about 55mph on the way to work, with the return trip at 60-70, depending on traffic. If I hold it 55 both ways, (I'm that guy in the right lane, there's two passing lanes on my left, go gently caress yourself,) I can make the trip about half the time on electric-only. I generally end up using about a tenth of a gallon of fuel, though, according to the on-dash display. Note that this is with the AC on Eco, but set to 74, in south Florida, in the summertime. In the spring, fall, and winter, I seem to get better range, AND use less AC. I can make it electric-only almost every day if I want. I had one day where the charge page showed 49mi of electric driving before it went over to the engine.

Also, sport mode is dumb, it just changes the accelerator pedal curve to be extremely front-loaded, which just makes it more difficult to modulate.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

drunkill posted:

For Tesla owners. But that is the bonus for owning a tesla.

Eventually Tesla will run out of stock to issue to pay the bills. "Free" charging by anyone besides governments is not sustainable. It works well as a marketing gimmick when consumption is low, but get 5% market saturation and lines for free charging will become unbearable. I am surprised some redneck hasn't filled a semi full of lead acid batteries and supercharged them for free to power his trailer park home.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hillridge posted:

Nice. Part of that is GM being smarter than Nissan about cooling the battery, part of it is that the Volt doesn't use anywhere near full capacity of the battery to reach its rated range.

Leaf owners in AZ have done their own testing and even with minimal HVAC use and hypermiling driving, you get about 60-odd miles on a charge.

The volt is certainly tempting but it does have one drawback in AZ. It doesn't count as an alternative fuel vehicle, so no HOV plates for it (unless you have the no longer issued Hybrid plate and can convince the MVD to move it).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

Eventually Tesla will run out of stock to issue to pay the bills. "Free" charging by anyone besides governments is not sustainable. It works well as a marketing gimmick when consumption is low, but get 5% market saturation and lines for free charging will become unbearable. I am surprised some redneck hasn't filled a semi full of lead acid batteries and supercharged them for free to power his trailer park home.

There's probably some DRM-like authentication on the chargers to prevent exactly that from happening. Battery pack can't provide a certificate chain tracing back to corporate HQ? No charging allowed.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I just want to say that as a Canadian living in BC reading this thread I'm so very jealous of you Americans and your tax breaks on EVs. Up there at the moment there is currently no tax breaks at all that I can find. Nothing federal and the province did have a small plan going but it ran out of money last year and hasn't been replaced with anything.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Squibbles posted:

I just want to say that as a Canadian living in BC reading this thread I'm so very jealous of you Americans and your tax breaks on EVs. Up there at the moment there is currently no tax breaks at all that I can find. Nothing federal and the province did have a small plan going but it ran out of money last year and hasn't been replaced with anything.

Ouch. In Ontario I don't think there's any tax breaks per se but there's a flat $8500 rebate on purchase or lease.

I've been driving to work in my Leaf for two weeks now and it's pretty great. 50km round-trip commute works out to about 30% of the battery, leaving me with loads of headroom for running errands and picking up friends and suchlike. Charging overnight from 15A is fine.

So far I only have two real complaints:
- I can hear a high-pitched keening noise from the electronics when the windows are open and it's under load (3+ dots of charging or discharging). It's not the VSP or the sound of the traction motor itself; best guess from the dealership is that I'm hearing the Zener diodes in the power converter and that this is normal operation.
- USB music support seems really flaky, coming up as "check USB storage" every few days and requiring me to remove and re-insert the USB key, at which point it totally forgets where it was and starts over from the beginning.

...but those are both pretty petty complaints.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hasters posted:

That's my primary complaint as well. I don't fiddle with the knobs a lot while I'm driving, but if I need to I don't want it to be unnecessarily complicated.

The steering wheel has volume knobs and the like, the only thing it doesn't really have is climate controls, and in theory you just set that to your preferred temperature before backing out (likely in your driver profile).

I see your point but it does seem like this was considered.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Does anyone know of a level 2 EVSE that has 2 (or more) cords, or are you stuck buying 2 separate chargers?

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I have a 22.3mi one way commute, and generally end up doing about 55mph on the way to work, with the return trip at 60-70, depending on traffic. If I hold it 55 both ways, (I'm that guy in the right lane, there's two passing lanes on my left, go gently caress yourself,) I can make the trip about half the time on electric-only.

Ah yes. Thanks for going dangerously slow on the highway and putting everyone at risk because you need to save a couple miles on your charge.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

watwat posted:

Ah yes. Thanks for going dangerously slow on the highway and putting everyone at risk because you need to save a couple miles on your charge.

Most of the highways around my area are 55 mph. I am confused on why any one would go 80+ unless you live in one of the few places that have a 75 mph speed limit.

I go 60 most of the time and get around 50 miles to my charge. I have a 30 mile round trip to work. I am not even that worried about the winter making me have to go into gas mode, well besides the less than 15 temp.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

watwat posted:

AI: The speed limit is dangerously slow.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Backov posted:

AI: The speed limit Anything but full throttle at all times, and anything with less than 200 hp, is dangerously slow.

Yup.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

watwat posted:

The speed limit varies between 60, and (I wish this was an exaggeration please go gently caress yourselves Miami-Dade Expressway Authority,) 45. What's terrifying is that, at 55, I routinely PASS people puttering along at forty-five in the left and center lanes, while everyone else is forced to lane dance around them.

There's a short section of turnpike with a 65mph limit, but it also has a pretty significant four to three to two lane merge that drops the speeds to about fifty five, anyway.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Old people.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hillridge posted:

Does anyone know of a level 2 EVSE that has 2 (or more) cords, or are you stuck buying 2 separate chargers?

I think you would need separate EVSEs anyway as the hand shake between the car and charger would need to be independent anyway as would the relays etc. You could probably build an OPEN EVSE with just one power input cord if you wanted to be snazzy. I personally would buy one from GlennD on the leaf forums he is anal about quality and cheap.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Hypothetical question for EV owners.

How would you deal with an extended stay away from a charging station? Say you're going to stay at a cabin for a week. It's 100 imles away from home and parking isn't close to the cabin. Would you resort to a mobile generator? Rent a car?

I'm going to be in a similar situation next week and, while I don't own an EV (yet), I'm trying to see how it would play out if I did.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ijustam posted:

How would you deal with an extended stay away from a charging station? Say you're going to stay at a cabin for a week. It's 100 imles away from home and parking isn't close to the cabin. Would you resort to a mobile generator? Rent a car?

I'm going to be in a similar situation next week and, while I don't own an EV (yet), I'm trying to see how it would play out if I did.

I was wondering similar the other day and got to thinking about portable solar panels but I don't think they'd be powerful enough.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think in anything other than a Model S that would be time to rent/borrow a car.

If the cabin has at least 120V service, though, you can still get some charge into the car.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

If it gets 120v and you're staying a full day and night, you'll be fine as that's about a 22 hour charge from empty on a Leaf.

If not, then yes, rent a car.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

ijustam posted:

If you don't have a second vehicle, rent one for such occasions. Especially if the road to the cabin is poo poo and could damage your own vehicle.

We took the truck (our second vehicle) out just today to buy some scaffolding for housework. It was a good opportunity to check the fluids, add a few pounds per tire and burn off some more of the half-tank remaining from when I stopped at a gas station in 2013.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Tesla factory shut down today to allow the changes to the production line to start building the Model X in quantity.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Madurai posted:

The Tesla factory shut down today to allow the changes to the production line to start building the Model X in quantity.
Only for 2 weeks, though. Model S production will start back up then.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's a Tesla Roadster in my apartment parking garage with an Alaska plate! Kind of funny. They must charge at work, because there aren't any outlets here.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lesson learned the hard way: NEMA 14-50 isn't actually the standard RV plug, after all. Need to pick up one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
I got my Level 2 EVSE installed! I went with the Square D because it can do upto 7.2 kwh and I wanted to be future proof, luckily I work with a guy who helped me install it so that was a lot cheaper.

I also picked up this cool sign from Amazon for my spot in the garage

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089OO2E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally I went to a public charging station the other day and found another Volt! (plus a sexy charging pic)

• Locked thread