Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I guess I should go look for a short bus decoration for the tank then. Maybe a few tiny shotguns and a banjo too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone looking for a project?

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/the-best-aquarium-is-a-lego-super-mario-bros-aquarium/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hmm, those fish choices. Won't the jack try to rearrange the aquarium? Good luck with keeping it like that.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hey I'm going to cross post this from the saltwater thread, because even though it's a salt aquarium, mollies are generally considered freshwater.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I think my fish has ich or something. He's got this white spot on him and it's loving up the scales by his fin. Another one has it on his mouth. Can anyone confirm/deny? I can get more pictures no problem, but sorry for the crap cell pics:

Yeah I don't know what the gently caress's going on with these wacked out colors here, it doesn't look quite like that in real life.

All my fish are mollies, and they've been fat and happy in this saltwater for like a month or two. So it's my understanding that to get rid of ich you basically have to treat the whole tank, otherwise it'll come back from cysts in the substrate. I heard that there are two forms of ich, salt and fresh, and that one will be killed by the other, so salt will kill the freshwater parasite and vice versa. I was thinking of setting up a freshwater hospital tank, moving all the fish there, and then waiting for the salt ich to totally die off when they hatch and can't find a fish to latch on to. Is this a good idea? These are some cheapo fish that were raised fresh, but they really easily acclimated and I think they can go back and forth without any problems. If I move them to fresh, it should kill off all the parasites and they'll be fine, right?

There is a complication though. Two of the females just crapped out litters. One of my goals with this tank was to only put things in that could complete their life cycles. And some features of the adults are really cool and I'd like to try and breed them (mostly focusing on iridescent/metallic scales). But there is no loving way I'd be able to catch every single fry, there's just too many and they're too good at hiding. Plus I'm afraid the babies wouldn't be able to adapt to the massive salinity difference, even with careful acclimation. There are a few that seem like they'll be really good candidates to breed up. Obviously if I don't pull them all then the ich will survive. I don't want to just dump medication in the tank because I have some inverts in there I'm afraid could get killed.

Also I don't have a freshwater tank cycled right now so I'd have to get that running asap I guess.

any advice?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

a real purist would only have used legos. :colbert:

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Hey I'm going to cross post this from the saltwater thread, because even though it's a salt aquarium, mollies are generally considered freshwater.

I don't see Ich in those pictures. Possibly a fungus, but it's really hard to tell.

edit: as far as them being is saltwater, I'd keep them in saltwater to treat whatever it is they have. The switch from salt to fresh (and then back to fresh) can stress the fish necessarily.

Zaffy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 20, 2014

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah it's hard as hell to get a decent pic of what's going on. Basically they have this white spot where the scales are seemingly coming off. Sometimes I catch them rubbing their bodies on the sand, but I always thought it was because one happened to get zapped by an anemone (I saw one bump into a tentacle and do the same thing). Then I heard it was symptomatic behavior -- they get itchy.

A few weeks ago i noticed a lot of white particles floating in the water column. I assumed it was some kind of plankton or something, because there was a boom in the amount of tiny copepods a little bit before that. Now I'm worried it was a ton of parasites and I just let it roll like it was a good thing.

I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My original plan was to put the Firemouth in the tank after it was set back up and introduce the oscar a week later. I ended up giving the Firemouth just a one day head start. The Firemouth is stalking the Oscar and does the occasional gill flare/charge. Oscar's logical response, attack decorations. :psyduck:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Fish do some strange things at times. Right now my month old Molly fry do the tail stand when any of the shrimp come near.
Dunno what's going on with the swordtail anymore. He refuses to come to the top to eat and instead feeds on the stuff that hits the gravel.

As for a few posts above, I've no knowledge of saltwater tanks except I never want one, so no help here I'm afraid.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

JuffoWup posted:

Hmm, those fish choices. Won't the jack try to rearrange the aquarium? Good luck with keeping it like that.

Slow moving butterfly fish, and a genetically altered and weaker Jack Dempsey, and a fish that needs to surface every other minute. drat, yeah great idea, can we put in some goldfish and Oscars too?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Slow moving butterfly fish, and a genetically altered and weaker Jack Dempsey, and a fish that needs to surface every other minute. drat, yeah great idea, can we put in some goldfish and Oscars too?

A violet goby would round it out nicely I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bet the castle floats away the moment any water goes in, lego is pretty good at trapping air and staying bouyant.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

SynthOrange posted:

Bet the castle floats away the moment any water goes in, lego is pretty good at trapping air and staying bouyant.

should be able to keep it in with gravel over base tiles.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

yeah it's hard as hell to get a decent pic of what's going on. Basically they have this white spot where the scales are seemingly coming off. Sometimes I catch them rubbing their bodies on the sand, but I always thought it was because one happened to get zapped by an anemone (I saw one bump into a tentacle and do the same thing). Then I heard it was symptomatic behavior -- they get itchy.

A few weeks ago i noticed a lot of white particles floating in the water column. I assumed it was some kind of plankton or something, because there was a boom in the amount of tiny copepods a little bit before that. Now I'm worried it was a ton of parasites and I just let it roll like it was a good thing.

I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow.

The white particles in the water certainly weren't Ich. You can't see them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got home from work and was surprised to find apisto babies! They were pretty tricky to get a decent photo of, so have some crappy ones instead!

DSC_7693.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_7699.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_7689.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

They don't look older than a day or so, and it's hard to count but looks to be 25-30 of the little guys.

demonR6, I think they enjoyed those leaves you sent me :getin:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Enos Cabell posted:

Got home from work and was surprised to find apisto babies! They were pretty tricky to get a decent photo of, so have some crappy ones instead!

They don't look older than a day or so, and it's hard to count but looks to be 25-30 of the little guys.

What are your water parameters? I've been trying to get mine to breed for a month now.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Brilliant! Anytime fish have babies thanks to me I am proud by association!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So how fast is a fully cycled aquarium supposed to get rid of ammonia and nitrite? I got everything to 0 and since I'm not going to add fish that soon I added ammonia to 4ppm just to see how it goes. 24h later ammonia is at 0.5ppm which seems pretty good, but nitrite is still off the charts and nitrate at around 60ppm. Obviously I got all the bacteria needed but are they going at optimal efficiency? This is a 10 gallon tank with 20gUS filter.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I've heard a few days minimum to do it. But then they were talking about planted tanks.

Seems my Platy dropped fry over the night, I hope more of them make it than the last. For some reason the Mollies left their young alone and got all but two of the Platies...both of which are drat near exact copies of their mom. I'm hoping one turns out to be a male and has the sword tail genes

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

So how fast is a fully cycled aquarium supposed to get rid of ammonia and nitrite? I got everything to 0 and since I'm not going to add fish that soon I added ammonia to 4ppm just to see how it goes. 24h later ammonia is at 0.5ppm which seems pretty good, but nitrite is still off the charts and nitrate at around 60ppm. Obviously I got all the bacteria needed but are they going at optimal efficiency? This is a 10 gallon tank with 20gUS filter.

How long has it been setup? Did you keep feeding the bacteria with ammonia after the cycle completed?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Dantu posted:

How long has it been setup? Did you keep feeding the bacteria with ammonia after the cycle completed?

Around 20 days, and the cycle just completed so there was no starvation period as far as I can tell. Also I have a lot of plants in there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

What are your water parameters? I've been trying to get mine to breed for a month now.

This is in a heavily planted 40g breeder tank, with a layer of indian almond leaves that I am letting decompose in the tank.

nitrates: 5ppm
pH: 7.6
KH: 200ppm
GH: 340ppm

I was expecting to need to lower my pH and hardness, but apparently they don't care all that much. I've been leaving the substrate alone for the most part, only vacuuming out the worst of the detritus. I'm also not pruning any of the plants, and letting the dead leaves fall and decompose in the tank.

DSC_7722.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_7710.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 22, 2014

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Enos Cabell posted:

Let me steal your babbies?

Seriously those are some good parents...

If some of them make it I have dollars to give you...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look at those cute rear end little babbies

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Around 20 days, and the cycle just completed so there was no starvation period as far as I can tell. Also I have a lot of plants in there.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that you aren't cycled. Nitrite should be back to zero 24 hours after a dosing of ammonia, pretty sure.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

If you're just looking to maintain you don't need a full 4ppm of ammonia, But with nitrite being off the charts it's likely you're not fully cycled yet anyway.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Dantu posted:

The only conclusion I can come up with is that you aren't cycled. Nitrite should be back to zero 24 hours after a dosing of ammonia, pretty sure.

It's back at 0 after 48hrs. I guess I'll keep feeding small doses of ammonia and hope the nitrite eaters catch up.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Enos Cabell posted:

This is in a heavily planted 40g breeder tank, with a layer of indian almond leaves that I am letting decompose in the tank.

nitrates: 5ppm
pH: 7.6
KH: 200ppm
GH: 340ppm

I was expecting to need to lower my pH and hardness, but apparently they don't care all that much.

The store I bought them from was around these, perhaps I should stop gathering rain water to lower PH amd hardness. I have a pair of agassizzis and cockatoos in my heavily planted 120 and neither has shown any interest in breeding. The females hang out together and the males ignore everything else in the tank. I'm thinking I have pairs that just aren't interested in each other.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Let me steal your babbies?

Seriously those are some good parents...

If some of them make it I have dollars to give you...

I've never tried shipping fish before, but if it's not too much of a hassle I can definitely hook you up.

Bait and Swatch posted:

The store I bought them from was around these, perhaps I should stop gathering rain water to lower PH amd hardness. I have a pair of agassizzis and cockatoos in my heavily planted 120 and neither has shown any interest in breeding. The females hang out together and the males ignore everything else in the tank. I'm thinking I have pairs that just aren't interested in each other.

I think I got super lucky with this pair. I was planning to order a few more females to add to the mix, but I think I'm gonna hold off on that now.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 23, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

My oscar is still acting weird, and my firemouth eagerly goes after food but spits it out after chewing it. I bought some Hikari frozen krill, same deal. Oscar ignored it, Firemouth chewed and spit out. I'm hoping they are still just getting over the stress of the tank move.

E: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

So, I fixed my lighting and now my plants thrive. They might actually be growing too fast! They'll soon outgrow the tank. They doubled in size in 3-4 days. I'll have keep the lighting on a tight schedule.

Anyway, I got 8 neon tetras yesterday as my first fish occupants. One died on the way home, another died after being introduced to the tank (got his caudal fin bitten off and ended up getting stuck on the filter despite all my best attempts to keep him isolated) and now one is showing a big white patch on its back.

Losing fish sucks. :(

Could this be the Neon Tetra Disease? The Fake Neon Tetra Disease? Google gives me different results. I don't have a quarantine tank and I don't want the remaining 5 to catch this. What do I do? :ohdear:

EDIT: He's not eating. :gonk:

internet inc fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 26, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
One of my Mollies did that right behind her head when I got her. After a few days she was fine though. I'm assuming it was just a stress sign like my Platy that changes from orange to black along the spine from mouth to fin. She didn't eat either, just hid in a corner.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
He died.

5 of 8 survived day 1. How bad is that?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

No more apisto babies :smith: Their numbers dwindled day by day, and now I haven't seen any since Thursday evening. On the positive side, the female is letting the male court her again, so we should get another shot pretty soon.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

internet inc posted:

He died.

5 of 8 survived day 1. How bad is that?

When I purchased neon tetras from a reputable LFS with healthy stock they sent me home with extra ones for free because they knew some were gonna die. Don't take it too hard.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Dammit our betta has become more and more lethargic sitting at the bottom and barely swimming or eating now today I come home and he is starting to look pineconed. His time may be coming to an end. RIP little yellow betta.

My breeder bettas live four years on average, store bought fish (my wife likes them) two at most but always complications of some sort.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My dragonscale betta is pretty much restricted to a narrow 45' forward cone of vision thanks to encroaching pigments. :smith: If food isnt dropped right in front of him he cant see it. It's still progressing too so it's likely one day he's going to be completely blind and I dont know how the hell you're supposed to get a blind fish to find food.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

My dragonscale betta is pretty much restricted to a narrow 45' forward cone of vision thanks to encroaching pigments. :smith: If food isnt dropped right in front of him he cant see it. It's still progressing too so it's likely one day he's going to be completely blind and I dont know how the hell you're supposed to get a blind fish to find food.

Copious amounts of garlic?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Hearing the issues with the dragon scale bettas has kept me away from buying one. Our betta I mentioned having the health issues was moved last night into a smaller QT tank with an epsom salt mix hoping to treat his condition. Not expecting a miracle but I don't want to put him down since he is not pineconed like the wife though. We switched to feeding him live blackworms and unlike the pellets and other food he has almost no interest in anymore he goes nuts for the live food. Maybe you can check to see if anyone locally has live food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Looks like Neon Tetra Disease to me. Don't beat yourself up too badly, neons can be fragile/disease magnets. A few years ago adding some neons to my community tank is what prompted me to finally get and use a quarantine tank. Not only did I lose the new neons but also 2 clown plecos and 6 of my 8 panda corys in the span of a week. Live and learn.