Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yes. What most people think of as country music is just processed pop poo poo with a southern accent and a fiddle in the background - that's where Nashville's been headed for decades.

That's always been how Music Row worked. They started by incorporating cheesy string sections in the early rock 'n roll era to lure in listeners who preferred crooners and pop standards, and were turned off by rockabilly and race music. Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, etc. got big by putting on arena rock shows right when that sort of thing was in decline elsewhere. Nowadays it's four on the floor electronic beats, heavier multitracked guitars, and the occasional rap verse. Throw a twang on top of it with the Markov chain lyric generator and you got a hit.

I'm sure in a few more years they'll start using dubstep drops and metalcore breakdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

BrandorKP posted:

Pop country has been terrible for decades. I went back home once and my "country" cousins took me to a "country bar" that was all techno dance mixes that everyone line danced to it was just awful.
Around 1994-ish, a country cover band back in my rural home county who were popular in the dancehalls at the time were fronted by a duo (one on vocals and one on neon-lit fiddle) used to do a cover version of "Warm It Up" by Kris Kross. One guy would stand on one end of the stage and sing the "Warm it up Kris!" call while slapping his knee and the other guy would do the "I'm about to!" responses and then after the chorus would break out the fiddle and play the melody on it.

We didn't call bro-country bro-country, we just knew that guys who really kickstarted it kinda sucked. Part of this stuff began as frat country, which was an offshoot of some really good musicians like Robert Earl Keen, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett, Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt and so on. The generation where it really forked was somewhere around Cory Morrow, Pat Green, Roger Creager and those guys. The other part came straight out of those constant Nashville attempts to do fusion acts and songs to get crossover appeal. The end result is pretty horrible. Of course, as someone said, Nashville's been horrible since before anyone here was alive, it's just evolving to maintain its lead.

Here, I couldn't find a good copy of REK and Lyle singing "This Old Porch"/"The Front Porch Song" so you get The Armadillo Jackal and No Kinda Dancer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBzQMAZyDzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unftUsV-2Zw

Guy put a freaking tuba in a country song in the mid-1980s to great effect, back before it was cool to do that poo poo.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 20, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Pop country's what the words "shameless" and "trash" were coined to denote. The venerable masters of country rebelled against it four decades ago, in a cloud of pot smoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swRJeMsk21g

Everyone in rotation on "young country" stations should commit suicide :)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

comes along bort posted:

Nowadays it's four on the floor electronic beats, heavier multitracked guitars, and the occasional rap verse. Throw a twang on top of it with the Markov chain lyric generator and you got a hit.

That's the exact formula that The KLF guaranteed would give you a #1 hit in The Manual back in 1988.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
what's for dinner tonight fellas? i'm makin a steak :cheers:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

All this really makes me appreciate my father. I grew up listening to dad playing folk/country songs on the guitar. Some of it was ridiculously obscure, like the only other places I found some of these songs are in folk achieves.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

comes along bort posted:

I'm sure in a few more years they'll start using dubstep drops and metalcore breakdowns.

I Knew You Were Trouble already exists. :yum:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Swan Oat posted:

Chipotle,

Because I'm not home and you're all wrong; Moe's is terrible in comparison.

Edit: Chipotle with Bell's Cherry Stout.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Cory Morrow, Pat Green, Roger Creager ...

These are the three exact guys that popped into my head when I saw the term bro-country. In the early-mid 00s when I was an undergrad they were all huge down these parts, but I guess the difference is they were actually pretty good. Definitely started to split around then though, you're right about that.

Also yeah, REK owns. Great live show too.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

That's the exact formula that The KLF guaranteed would give you a #1 hit in The Manual back in 1988.

And they would know, being Justified and Ancient and all.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

comes along bort posted:

And they would know, being Justified and Ancient and all.

Their take on Billie Jean is wholly incorrect, though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Swan Oat posted:

Made chicken fricassee, myself. Was pretty bitchin'.

Popular Thug Drink, I worded my question poorly. I meant, is bro-country the same thing as hick-pop, which it sounds like is more or less the case.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Ironically hipsters are engaging in more cultural preservation and authentic performance than the Grand Ole Opry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovzdZLXWnIg

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

Pop country's what the words "shameless" and "trash" were coined to denote. The venerable masters of country rebelled against it four decades ago, in a cloud of pot smoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swRJeMsk21g

Everyone in rotation on "young country" stations should commit suicide :)

You say this like pop-not-country is somehow better or something

everyone assumes that the pop music they listen to is somehow reflective of some greater music tradition or has more meaning than the pop music they don't listen to. This is not true, it is all cliched, formulaic pap.

(this won't stop me from secretly dancing to all of it though)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I always feel guilty that I like The White Room so much, but dammit it's just entertaining as Hell, heh.

ReidRansom posted:

Also yeah, REK owns. Great live show too.
A friend and I have a dream concert lineup to be held in Phnom Penh with Robert Earl Keen and Dengue Fever back to back, heh. If I make a bajillion dollars I'll try to pull it off and you're invited. Don't hold your breath.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

everyone assumes that the pop music they listen to is somehow reflective of some greater music tradition or has more meaning than the pop music they don't listen to. This is not true, it is all cliched, formulaic pap.

(this won't stop me from secretly dancing to all of it though)

The music I listen to draws upon the great tradition of cliched, formulaic pap. :colbert:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

It is, there are some amazing musicians in the Top 40 right now. You couldn't be more wrong :keke:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

I always feel guilty that I like The White Room so much, but dammit it's just entertaining as Hell, heh.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody has been able to take musical cynicism as far as they did in the last 25 years.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

comes along bort posted:

Nashville's been a hopeless cesspool longer than most of us have been alive.

Besides, real rural white kids listen to rap and metal.

I grew up as a real rural white kid and I listened to metal entirely as a reaction to the fact that my parents only listened to country. At 32 years old, I think I listen to more country than anything else these days. It's only when I left the US that I really started listening to it again.

Here's one of my favorite country songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-G2J3RzURA

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
This reminds me of a particular phenomenon I came across in all the Vietnam War research I've been doing for a while now, music as signifier of socio-ethnic blocs within the military during that time. White lifers tended to favor country-western, whereas black draftees unsurprisingly tended more towards Motown, soul, and funk, with white draftees being rockers more often than not (there was some cross-pollination between the last two groups, but almost none with either of them and the first). More than one bar-brawl-turned-race-riot broke out when white lifers monopolized the jukebox in the enlisted club, and blacks got tired of having to listening to, "that hillbilly poo poo."

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 20, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you are a person who likes the idea of liking bluegrass more than they actually like most bluegrass (i.e. like me) this is a really good pop folk song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTV9EZN1miQ

(Like a lot of good pop folk it is Canadian)

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

pangstrom posted:

If you are a person who likes the idea of liking bluegrass more than they actually like most bluegrass (i.e. like me) this is a really good pop folk song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTV9EZN1miQ

(Like a lot of good pop folk it is Canadian)

This is my favorite pop folk group, although I don't know if they even exist anymore. I saw them do a live show with Frontier Ruckus several years ago back in Michigan and it was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z_87A7Zpqs

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mlaGOhWCg
banjo is really good and this is an interesting civil war song.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Miltank,

That Amythyst Kiah is good poo poo. Unrelated, you asked in another thread how do they treat their employees? Pretty drat well, no turn over from what I see in over a decade, it's really kind-of a shocking level of employee retention frankly. On the other hand no promotions either, everybody is in the same jobs.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I'm honestly surprised that nobody has been able to take musical cynicism as far as they did in the last 25 years.
Does Simon Cowell count? He's technically part of the act, just the act is like Simon Cowell : KLF :: Comcast : Houston Cellular.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

BrandorKP posted:

Miltank,

That Amythyst Kiah is good poo poo. Unrelated, you asked in another thread how do they treat their employees? Pretty drat well, no turn over from what I see in over a decade, it's really kind-of a shocking level of employee retention frankly. On the other hand no promotions either, everybody is in the same jobs.

Hey what type of banjo do you play? I picked up banjo a couple years ago and I have been really into clawhammer.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

It is, there are some amazing musicians in the Top 40 right now. You couldn't be more wrong :keke:

That depends on your definition of amazing. If by amazing you mean truly innovative, genre-altering music, then no, because everything in the top 40 you haven't heard before has been almost certainly done by someone else who never made it to the charts. Also music effectively ended in 1952 because you're never going to hear anything more antithetical to the entire concept of music than 4'33".

If by amazing you mean you enjoy listening to it because it sounds good, then there's totally lots of amazing music out there! This also means there's amazing music on every chart because it's a subjective measurement that doesn't define anything except your own personal taste and culture.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I grew up as a real rural white kid and I listened to metal entirely as a reaction to the fact that my parents only listened to country. At 32 years old, I think I listen to more country than anything else these days. It's only when I left the US that I really started listening to it again.

how is this real

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Miltank posted:

Hey what type of banjo do you play? I picked up banjo a couple years ago and I have been really into clawhammer.

It's been fifteen years since I picked one up at this point. Fingerpicking, I remember my rolls and a couple of chords but that's about it.

edit:

Swan Oat posted:

how is this real

Unironically that song is occasionally my work week steel mills, warehouses, assembly lines, diners, and coal.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 20, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Soviet Commubot posted:

This looks like those generic background videos that they have at Karaoke joints.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

This looks like those generic background videos that they have at Karaoke joints.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...rName=Joementum

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That song has always been hilarious. I always feel like it's the musical direct descendant of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYtJIFVxQXY

Alabama was required to have a Workin' Class Workin' Man's song on every album. They were also required to have at least one New Deal song, which is reflective of the fact that they came up as Southern Democrats (something you don't hear a lot of in country today!). The lyrics to Song of the South would have teabaggers steamrolling Alabama CDs (can you even buy CDs anymore?) across Red America.

quote:

Daddy was a veteran, a southern democrat
They ought to get a rich man to vote like that

quote:

Well somebody told us Wall Street fell
But we were so poor that we couldn't tell
Cotton was short and the weeds were tall
But Mr. Roosevelt's a gonna save us all

Well momma got sick and daddy got down
The county got the farm and they moved to town
Papa got a job with the TVA
He bought a washing machine and then a Chevrolet
There would be mock executions in stadium parking lots if they tried to release that poo poo today - and they were a huge mainstream pop country act, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 20, 2014

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
The country/folk music schism is the single most interesting thing in american music history by a long shot, because boy howdy did they turn out different.

In that modern commercial country music sucks an incredible amount of rear end, whereas folk music kicks all of that same rear end
it's da truth

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Swan Oat posted:

I'm making beans and rice. First time using my oven. It hasn't exploded yet, and it seems to be a nice, even, temperature, so I may not be ruining dinner/my apartment!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

Alabama was required to have a Workin' Class Workin' Man's song on every album. They were also required to have at least one New Deal song, which is reflective of the fact that they came up as Southern Democrats (something you don't hear a lot of in country today!). The lyrics to Song of the South would have teabaggers steamrolling Alabama CDs (can you even buy CDs anymore?) across Red America.

There would be mock executions in stadium parking lots if they tried to release that poo poo today - and they were a huge mainstream pop country act, heh.

Yeah the only other big time band that mined similar territory was pre-crash Skynyrd, and it'd be career suicide if they wrote something like Things Goin' On today.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

That depends on your definition of amazing. If by amazing you mean truly innovative, genre-altering music, then no, because everything in the top 40 you haven't heard before has been almost certainly done by someone else who never made it to the charts. Also music effectively ended in 1952 because you're never going to hear anything more antithetical to the entire concept of music than 4'33".

If by amazing you mean you enjoy listening to it because it sounds good, then there's totally lots of amazing music out there! This also means there's amazing music on every chart because it's a subjective measurement that doesn't define anything except your own personal taste and culture.

How does it feel to be an insufferable rear end?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
John Cage was totally okay with his stuff not being part of whatever you all want music to be, he just wanted people to explore sounds and soundscapes. And he also changed his mind about music as he aged.

What I'm saying is John Cage probably wouldn't appreciate you making authoritative claims about music from his work. Good thing he's dead tho.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

This is like saying that Art ended in 1917 because DuChamp put a urinal in a gallery

e: obligatory 4'33 image

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Defenestration posted:

This is like saying that Art ended in 1917 because DuChamp put a urinal in a gallery

didn't it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

You don't appear to know anything. Did you learn about music by reading about it on Wikipedia but not listening to any of it?

• Locked thread