Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

Not much of note happened during this episode.

"I was sworn to secrecy by a superior officer, which means I am legally required to keep that secret. Telling a random high school student is likely a criminal offense. However, I want to show off how knowledgeable I am."

"I can't believe that Tatsuya is really Taurus Silver, even though he kept saying "Who has two thumbs and is secretly the brilliant engineer Silver? This guy!" completely unprompted every day during lunch."

"Stop being a child with your perfectly legitimate complaints. Yes, psychological trauma can make mages permanently unable to use magic. Yes, teenage magicians are more at risk than adults. Yes, there are a great many potential substitutes we could use without demonstrating to half of the school that their confidence in their abilities is completely unwarranted. No, there is nothing at stake in this contest worth demoralizing the student body, perhaps permanently. But you are the main character so we are just gonna put all of that aside so you can be the center of attention like usual."

All Tatsuya has to do to keep a low profile is to stop loving showing off at every opportunity. I loathe braggarts.

But then how would we now just how perfect he is?

What, you want me to listen to that craz-- oh, that's the sister of Mister :geno: .

e: I knew I was looking for something to actually post about. Here's the appeal of our Wooden God, explained by a certain Cracked columnist.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Has this picked up at all? I stopped watching around the 4th episode since the hidden twist of him not being good at magic didn't matter at all (or whatever it was).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Harry posted:

Has this picked up at all? I stopped watching around the 4th episode since the hidden twist of him not being good at magic didn't matter at all (or whatever it was).

It's just got a lot worse.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

WickedHate posted:

It's just got a lot worse.

In a somewhat interesting way? Or is it more round table discussions about how great he is?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harry posted:

In a somewhat interesting way? Or is it more round table discussions about how great he is?

I forget if it was the 4th or 5th episode that ended with the protagonist bitching about how poor people are lazy.

But there's that, also brutal force on unresisting, unarmed people is shown to be a really good thing.

(And yet despite that stuff it's still dull as heck)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Harry posted:

The latter. I haven't watched the last couple myself though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It will always fascinate me how your average crunchyroll commenter seems to like Literally Every Anime. No matter what the show is, it will always have nearly universal positive comments.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ytlaya posted:

It will always fascinate me how your average crunchyroll commenter seems to like Literally Every Anime. No matter what the show is, it will always have nearly universal positive comments.

Well I figure someone somewhere has to like it otherwise CR would never buy it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Then again, it could just be the crazies that take the time and effort to comment there.

The scoring on MAL, on the other hand, looks a little more sane and has a lot more data points to work with. The score is still to high for my faith in humanity but it has been on a slow decline and isn't scoring amazingly well.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/20785/Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei/stats

In comparison, No Life No Game seems to have been the best received and best scored show of the season.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/19815/No_Game_No_Life/stats

Even Jojo is doing better with a better score and ranking and a lower drop rate despite (depressingly) lower viewership.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/20899/JoJos_Bizarre_Adventure:_Stardust_Crusaders/stats

So while it's not nearly as polarizing as I would have hoped, at least it's not doing great. :shobon:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Edward IV posted:

Then again, it could just be the crazies that take the time and effort to comment there.

The scoring on MAL, on the other hand, looks a little more sane and has a lot more data points to work with. The score is still to high for my faith in humanity but it has been on a slow decline and isn't scoring amazingly well.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/20785/Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei/stats

In comparison, No Life No Game seems to have been the best received and best scored show of the season.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/19815/No_Game_No_Life/stats

Even Jojo is doing better with a better score and ranking and a lower drop rate despite (depressingly) lower viewership.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/20899/JoJos_Bizarre_Adventure:_Stardust_Crusaders/stats

So while it's not nearly as polarizing as I would have hoped, at least it's not doing great. :shobon:

Doesn't MAL work with the IGN 7=Average scale? But yeah calling Mahouka above average is way too loving generous.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

From the sound of it the anim is still behind my proper bookposting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The latest episode lacked any particularly hilarious scenes. Though, I have to wonder what the advantage of swinging around a single piece of metal is when shooting millions of rock shards at someone from all directions at once was shown to be ineffectual. It might take someone by surprise once, but I'm pretty sure that blocking physical objects is pretty basic magic and they broadcast all of the matches. I guess it is pretty amazing that Mikihiko was shown to be vastly more useful in this event than Tatsuya, though. No one ever gets to outshine him at anything, ever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is that Tatsuya's super tacticlol body armor suit in the new OP? That looks exactly like what a teenager would design for himself, good job artists.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I started watching this show and I don't really find it to be terrible.

Just think of Tatsuya as Wizard Jesus, ignore the rampant incest, and enjoy the main character being the best at everything.

I guess I'm just really enjoying the fact that the main character isn't a spineless wimp caught in a harem with new magical powers that he's afraid/reluctant to use. Just keep loving everybody's poo poo up Tatsuya.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Eddain posted:

Just think of Tatsuya as Wizard Jesus, ignore the rampant incest, and enjoy the main character being the best at everything.

I guess I'm just really enjoying the fact that the main character isn't a spineless wimp caught in a harem with new magical powers that he's afraid/reluctant to use. Just keep loving everybody's poo poo up Tatsuya.

So this is what I sounded like. :shepface:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Eddain posted:

I'd advise you read the rest of the thread before we have to make the effort to make you eat your own words. Make special note of namtab's excerpts from the light novel so you can see just where this poo poo is going and just how bad the show and novel are.

Then again, this thread has gotten kind of dull ever since WickedHate realized just how terrible this show and light novel is. So by all means, try to defend this show. If you can that is. :getin:

WickedHate posted:

More or less.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eddain posted:

There are a lot of quality shows that have a main character that's not like that and they don't have things like incestual fanservice to boot!

Might I recommend watching Ping Ping: The Animation, instead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eddain posted:

Read from page 1. WickedHate's journey from fan to disgust is like something out of a Disney tale.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also I'll admit I'm always boggled when I hear complaints about spineless main characters in anime or whatever because there are a ton of shows without them! There are usually plenty of good ones that fit that description each season, even!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eddain posted:

Look, you can do Spineless MC right: Watch / Read Kokoro Connect. The anime has Miyuki Sawashiro doing some of the best goddamn VA work she's ever done. Alternatively, just watch Nozaki-kun, which has Yuuichi Nakamura (Tatsuya's VA) using the exact same loving voice he uses for Tatsuya while also being funny as hell. Also, potentially Miyuki out-doing herself.

WickedHate posted:

Hey, at least you've come around. :thumbsup:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Look, you can do Spineless MC right: Watch / Read Kokoro Connect. The anime has Miyuki Sawashiro doing some of the best goddamn VA work she's ever done. Alternatively, just watch Nozaki-kun, which has Yuuichi Nakamura (Tatsuya's VA) using the exact same loving voice he uses for Tatsuya while also being funny as hell. Also, potentially Miyuki out-doing herself.

Holy gently caress that's the same guy!? :psyduck:
The difference is like day and night! Poor dude is choked to death by Mahouka's script.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

How does it feel?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boredsatellite posted:

How does it feel?

Embarrassing.

Srice posted:

There are a lot of quality shows that have a main character that's not like that and they don't have things like incestual fanservice to boot!

The incest is the least of Mahouka's problems. The dull characters and the praise lavished on a total rear end in a top hat Mary Sue is a lot more annoying and grating. I'd call Tatsuya "Wizard John Galt" but at least Galt had emotions.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

WickedHate posted:

I recognize it has flaws but just happen to like it. :shrug: I like the magic, the fights, and yeah, the characters are interesting to me, though I can see why they don't appeal to others.

I think Tatsuya's main flaw is his lack of social skills. That said, he still has a group of friends already.

WickedHate posted:

SSNeoman posted:

Holy gently caress that's the same guy!? :psyduck:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Might I recommend watching Ping Ping: The Animation, instead.

Ping Pong is excellent, but it's a very different beast that seems unlikely to scratch a magical action anime itch. On the other hand, I cannot think of a single reason to watch Mahouka ever when Jojo is currently airing.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Darth Walrus, you had it right when you said that there shouldn't be a single reason to watch Mahouka ever. Everything you can get out of mocking it, you can get by reading this thread, and without the terrible influence and waste of time the show would be on you. Of course, Jojo just makes it even less likely you should ever watch this garbage, but hey, not everyone is as enlightened as you are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, I can't think of any one of the positive things that people have praised Mahouka for that Stardust Crusaders doesn't do the same but better. Unless you're really desperate for your incest and Japanese nationalism fix.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The last few episodes haven't even been entertainingly bad. I can tell the animators are doing their best, but no one could make this sports meet interesting without diverging from the original version drastically.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There's a lot of light novels to adapt, so they've only got themselves to blame for spending so many episodes on the wizard olympics.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Ping Pong is excellent, but it's a very different beast that seems unlikely to scratch a magical action anime itch. On the other hand, I cannot think of a single reason to watch Mahouka ever when Jojo is currently airing.

Yeah, I was just recommending it since it's in the category of "things with protagonists that aren't wimps".

(Also arguably they both deal with really stoic characters but only one of those shows explores that characterization in a meaningful way)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
A semi magic action anime where the MC isn't hilariously over powered that I liked was Unbreakable machine doll but it does suffer from MC gaining a harem for no reason at all.

Plus the MC isn't a wimp!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

Yeah, I was just recommending it since it's in the category of "things with protagonists that aren't wimps".

(Also arguably they both deal with really stoic characters but only one of those shows explores that characterization in a meaningful way)

You mean that Mama's Boy? That dude is a big old softie. Who will totes wreck your poo poo if you look at him funny.

The Best Mama's Boy. :allears:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Namtab posted:

There's a lot of light novels to adapt, so they've only got themselves to blame for spending so many episodes on the wizard olympics.

Are there? I was under the impression most LNs were really bad? Are they even popular there, are they like comparable to lovely genre novels here? I know there's not much point in reading them in translation because they're badly written as-is, and then the translation makes it even worse

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

You mean that Mama's Boy? That dude is a big old softie. Who will totes wreck your poo poo if you look at him funny.

The Best Mama's Boy. :allears:

He was talking about Smile from Ping-Pong, an invincible stoic loner whose personality gets explored in great detail (because Ping-Pong is an intelligent character-piece), though Jotaro Kujo is certainly a far more entertaining stoic genius action lead with weird family issues than Tatsuya.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Television is a process of digitally recording light and sound, transmitting it, and then playing the recording on devices which receive the broadcast. Magic in this setting is produced via invisible particles and altering information which in turn alters the behavior of physical objects. Light is produced as a by-product, so the actual spells are visible.

So, exactly why does a television broadcast include invisible particles and spirits made of invisible particles? Mizuki saw spirits through the television, even though that wasn't really relevant to anything.

Add television to the long list of things Satou doesn't understand, I guess.

The only funny part of this episode was the two gaijin-slaughterers slowly walking toward each other flailing their dumb plastic guns ineffectually, while the audience reacted as though it was the most amazing spectacle known to man. Oh, but even after all of the unbelievable smugness Tatsuya has demonstrated throughout the series that inner monologue about how he wasn't confident about winning even if he wasn't holding back really pissed me off. The rear end in a top hat can instantly regenerate from any damage Ichijo could inflict. Tatsuya could take a nap if he wanted while Ichijo exhausted himself trying to kill him. Since it is automatic and based on restoring to a backup (stored where, exactly?) rather than an accelerated healing process, even destroying the brain probably wouldn't be enough. Then you can add in Tatsuya's primary offensive power, which instantly destroys matter at a molecular level. Not confident my rear end. False modesty in an interior monologue is inexcusable.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Are there? I was under the impression most LNs were really bad? Are they even popular there, are they like comparable to lovely genre novels here? I know there's not much point in reading them in translation because they're badly written as-is, and then the translation makes it even worse

Sorry, I meant to say there's a lot of books in this one series. I really have no idea why they're spending so long in this one arc when the next proper arc has Tatsuya's limits being released so that he can go disintegrate the chinese without remorse + nuke them.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Namtab posted:

Sorry, I meant to say there's a lot of books in this one series. I really have no idea why they're spending so long in this one arc when the next proper arc has Tatsuya's limits being released so that he can go disintegrate the chinese without remorse + nuke them.

Saving it for season 2 we need to pace out killing all the non-japanese people we can

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This show is doing well enough that it will probably get a second season. The demon arc makes this look like beautiful poetry.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

He was talking about Smile from Ping-Pong, an invincible stoic loner whose personality gets explored in great detail (because Ping-Pong is an intelligent character-piece), though Jotaro Kujo is certainly a far more entertaining stoic genius action lead with weird family issues than Tatsuya.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

It's a pretty good character comparison because we're supposed to believe that Tatsuya's lack of emotions is a character flaw, but you never see it portrayed as such. It never even inconveniences him or anything. It's just a fake flaw.

Meanwhile there are a few key moments in Ping Pong where you can tell Smile's attitude really has some negative effects on him.

I like to bring up Ping Pong as an example because it's a good show that everybody should watch!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's not even a problem having an unbeatable main character. Look at Superman, for God's sake. Where Mahouka falls apart--conceptually, I mean--is that Satou completely misses the point. Unbeatable is fine, but you still have to challenge them. Tatsuya isn't just Wizard Jesus, he's an infallible Wizard Jesus whose Mary-Sue aura is so overpowering, it extends to all his friends and colleagues so long as they continue offering the appropriate adoring testimonials. Whatever their other problems, you could still engage the audience with the magic Olympics if his friends showed tension, or had to struggle in any way.

I bailed on episode 13 and started rewatching Ping-Pong instead. How far will YOU get before the epiphany?

• Locked thread