Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm seeing a deal for Playon TV -$70 for a lifetime PlayOn/PlayLater subscribtion and a 'free' Chromecast. It looks pretty good. Anyone here using it? The only thing that's holding me back is they want an additional $15 for HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

porktree posted:

I'm seeing a deal for Playon TV -$70 for a lifetime PlayOn/PlayLater subscribtion and a 'free' Chromecast. It looks pretty good. Anyone here using it? The only thing that's holding me back is they want an additional $15 for HD.

I would look into Plex to see if it would suit your needs before paying 70 bucks for this.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

MycroftXXX posted:

I would look into Plex to see if it would suit your needs before paying 70 bucks for this.
I use Plex a lot (mainly in a usenet/Sickbeard/Couchpotato way) - I've never explored the channels much, but I thought they were more of an ala carte offering of fairly specific shows, and my (wrong?) impression of PlayOn is that they have complete shows from each channel. More a broadcast style. I was planning on getting another Chromecast anyway.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

porktree posted:

I use Plex a lot (mainly in a usenet/Sickbeard/Couchpotato way) - I've never explored the channels much, but I thought they were more of an ala carte offering of fairly specific shows, and my (wrong?) impression of PlayOn is that they have complete shows from each channel. More a broadcast style. I was planning on getting another Chromecast anyway.

Plex channels and PlayOn are both scraping the same web sites to give you the "free full episodes" they post online, although it's possible PlayOn might do a better job of it or something.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I will post this till my eyes bleed: XBMC. Play on is some weird server/scraper bullshit that plays less stuff yet you have to pay for it?? It's so weird, I don't understand why anyone would use that, much less pay for that.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

EugeneJ posted:

Does anyone still use those old-rear end giant rooftop antennas to get OTA HDTV?

If it leads to consistent signal quality compared with a Mohu Leaf or whatever, I'd be willing to buy one.

http://antennaweb.org/

There is a locator on there to help, you will not only get a much more consistent signal, you can likely pull in more stations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
PSA: Today only deal, refurbished amplified Mohu leaf for $35 here.

I think it's the same as the Leaf 50.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Has anyone made the jump from a Roku 2 (OG. XS) to a Roku 3? I mostly use it for Netflix, YouTube, and sometimes Amazon. The YouTube app is cool and all, but it's slow as rear end and it crashes a lot. Will the Roku 3 fix this? Are there better options now?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

azurite posted:

Has anyone made the jump from a Roku 2 (OG. XS) to a Roku 3? I mostly use it for Netflix, YouTube, and sometimes Amazon. The YouTube app is cool and all, but it's slow as rear end and it crashes a lot. Will the Roku 3 fix this? Are there better options now?

If you use it for netflix then roku 3 is a big upgrade since it gets the new UI.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

azurite posted:

Roku 3 is way better because you can hard wire the Ethernet.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Don Lapre posted:

If you use it for netflix then roku 3 is a big upgrade since it gets the new UI.

It took them an eternity, but they backported that UI and the YouTube app to the Roku 2. I'm wondering more about performance and stability. The UI's good on Netflix, but it stalls and crashes on Youtube very frequently. The Chromecast-y YouTube control feature works if I hit "play" on the phone, set it down, and don't touch it for the duration of the video. If I move the scrubber or skip between videos, it'll freak out and crash 9/10 times.

Netflix has started to skip and crash occasionally too. Also I feel the picture quality isn't quite as good as it can be. My Chromecast looks really crisp by comparison, but I like the Roku's ability to cruise lists of videos on the big screen so others can see.

EDIT:

BigFactory posted:

Roku 3 is way better because you can hard wire the Ethernet.

My Roku 2 has that too. What it doesn't have is dual-band wifi, which would be really helpful in my crowded apartment complex.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, the Youtube UI is clunky but I'm usually just watching a playlist so it's not a big deal. And I can use the iPhone Youtube app and control it from there anyway (it's a lot faster to type searches too).

My Roku 2 XS will crash every few months watching Netflix but it's not a huge deal as it saves the spot. Much easier to deal with compared to a scratched DVD at least.

Also, Roku 2 XS has Ethernet/WiFi; Roku 2 XD only has WiFi.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

azurite posted:

Has anyone made the jump from a Roku 2 (OG. XS) to a Roku 3? I mostly use it for Netflix, YouTube, and sometimes
Amazon. The YouTube app is cool and all, but it's slow as rear end and it crashes a lot. Will the Roku 3 fix this? Are there better options now?

I don't have a 2 to compare to, but my roku 3 is fine. Does not crash, pretty much ever. Takes a few seconds to load an app, but once loaded its very snappy. In a vacuum I recommend it highly.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a listing online of all the different types of "premium" content providers like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Crunchyroll/etc. that compares what they have? I don't even really know the term for those.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

the posted:

Is there a listing online of all the different types of "premium" content providers like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Crunchyroll/etc. that compares what they have? I don't even really know the term for those.

Something like this?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

azurite posted:

For what it's worth my Roku 3 hasn't crashed or had a single issue in the months I've owned it. The only issue I can think of, which isn't REALLY an issue at all, is the fact that I've noticed it does get a litte warmer than I ever imagined it would. It doesn't get hot mind you, but I wouldn't exactly set it near a wax candle or anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the Roku channel for The Young Turks dead? I can't find it in the channel store (in Canada), but it's still up on their website. Pretty bad timing since I just re-upped my subscription to the site.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

azurite posted:

I upgraded to the Fire TV from a Roku LT and it's like light and day. On the Roku LT, the Hulu app had a crazy amount of slow down with navigation and a delay when hitting buttons while a video's playing. On the Fire TV, it's buttery smooth. Same with YouTube.

You may want to check it out if you're interested in XBMC and other android apps. But it's worth noting that the Fire TV Netflix uses the old interface http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 13, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Short of a straight up Android box (which is what I use), the firetv blows all these rokus and stuff out of the water. Xbmc baby.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I had to upgrade from a Roku 2 to a 3 just because of a weird bug in the wifi/Plex setup where I would have to reboot the roku every time I watched a different video in Plex because they bandwidth would slow to a crawl.

Interestingly, it only ever happened with the Plex server on the local network, it worked flawlessly when it was at my house, streaming over the internet.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I am sick of Brighthouse and am ditching them. I tried chromecast and didn't like it, should I try the roku 3 or a fire tv? Which has better speed / easier interface? I didn't see the fire tv in the op.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I am sick of Brighthouse and am ditching them. I tried chromecast and didn't like it, should I try the roku 3 or a fire tv? Which has better speed / easier interface? I didn't see the fire tv in the op.

What are you wanting to do and what apps/services do you need?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I have a Roku 3 and I love it to death. I'm a huge fan of XBMC from the original xbox days and I'm sure the Fire TV rocks with it, but don't let it overshadow how great the Roku 3 is. I've also heard a few things here and there with the Fire TV about errors/lockups and although I don't mind a little work here and there, there's something AWESOME about my Roku 3 being 100% error/lockup/slowness/problem free. A friend of mine has a Roku 1 and the speed difference between the 1 and 3 is incredible.

I'll eventually cave and get a Fire TV or some other android device one of these days, but for now the Roku 3 is working great and I'd recommend it to anyone. Also it's incredibly user friendly for people who aren't the most tech savvy and they are on sale all pretty frequently.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Maneki Neko posted:

What are you wanting to do and what apps/services do you need?

Mainly watch youtube and netflix, and maybe cbs.com for my horrible reality shows

I know either can probably pull this off, but I guess I am worried newer = better on the whole fire tv vs roku.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Mainly watch youtube and netflix, and maybe cbs.com for my horrible reality shows

...Chromecast should be fine for this - why didn't you like it?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I don't even know how to google this (seriously, I tried and got nothing except some 3 year old Roku stuff). I've been watching "Orange is the New Black" on my iPad via Netflix; I noticed when I started watching season 2, it would default to Spanish audio with English subs. I could change it back in the app. I checked my Nfx settings and they are all to default to English. I let it go.

Last night my wife wanted to watch "Orange is the New Black", season 1 - playing on my ATV2 (jailbroken with the older OS) - But it's not watchable because it too only plays with Spanish audio. (and I don't see a way; holding down the menu etc) of switching the language.

Called Nfx and they have no IDEA, but gave me a free month. Anyone else run into this?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

porktree posted:

I don't even know how to google this (seriously, I tried and got nothing except some 3 year old Roku stuff). I've been watching "Orange is the New Black" on my iPad via Netflix; I noticed when I started watching season 2, it would default to Spanish audio with English subs. I could change it back in the app. I checked my Nfx settings and they are all to default to English. I let it go.

Last night my wife wanted to watch "Orange is the New Black", season 1 - playing on my ATV2 (jailbroken with the older OS) - But it's not watchable because it too only plays with Spanish audio. (and I don't see a way; holding down the menu etc) of switching the language.

Called Nfx and they have no IDEA, but gave me a free month. Anyone else run into this?

I don't have an answer but are you sure you didn't gently caress with the wrong Mexican?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I made a Fire TV thread. I think the added functionality is worth it over the Roku and it's not that difficult to set up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

EugeneJ posted:

...Chromecast should be fine for this - why didn't you like it?

It had really really slow load times for casting various items. Plus I didn't like having to control it from my phone or pc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I do not have a firetv (yet) but let me attempt to translate:
:goonsay:

download and unzip ADB Utility for Windows to c:\

download XBMC stuff to c:\

enable dev mode from the firetv system settings menu

open a "dos prompt box" on your PC
go to c:\ dir

type:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb connect <ip-address-of-fire-tv>
adb install <apk-file-name>

run xbmc on firetv

If adb and the xbmc crap is in the same folder you can skip the whole environmental variable path crap so just dump it all in the C:\ folder

Finally bought my Fire, it is very zippy. Finally got to try out these instructions. I saved my apk to the c:\ drive in the root directory as "xbmc13.apk" to make it easier to type, and installed the adb tools there as well, everything worked out great, very straightforward

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Photex posted:

I don't have an answer but are you sure you didn't gently caress with the wrong Mexican?

Touche. A tip of the hat to you sir.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Finally bought my Fire, it is very zippy. Finally got to try out these instructions. I saved my apk to the c:\ drive in the root directory as "xbmc13.apk" to make it easier to type, and installed the adb tools there as well, everything worked out great, very straightforward

Or even easier.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I haven't tried it but some guy at XDA hacked together a GUI for it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774

Call Me Charlie posted:

Since I was looking to do a factory refresh anyways, I decided to give this a test run.

Besides looking like it time warped out of 1999, it seems simple enough.

I turned on ADB debugging on my Fire TV, entered the Fire TV IP into the program and selected the XBMC apk (Gotham arm) I downloaded. The script opens up command prompt, does all the poo poo you'd normally have to do by hand and pushes it to the Fire TV. Simple enough. It may look like it's frozen but it's a 60 MB file so give it a minute or two.

When you see this

It's installed.

I don't really care about the splash screen but I figured I tried it. Saved over the included one with http://i59.tinypic.com/2mi409g.png - Installed with no problem. Honestly, XBMC loads so quickly that you'll barely see it.

Clicked Install Llama - it worked

Didn't know what Llama XBMC config was so I ignored it and used the method on XBMC wiki to redirect Classic TV into launching XBMC.

quote:

Install / side-load Llama.
Install “Classic TV” app from Amazon app store.
Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “Classic TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.

And that worked. Now every time I click Classic TV, it fires XBMC. No having to dig around in the settings for it.

I didn't try 'switch Classic TV icon with XBMC icon' since it requires root but here's what it looks like installed.

- edit I decided to root and it walked me through setting it up. And I replaced the icon. No issues.

The whole process seemed brain dead simple. I guess if you're scared of going into the command prompt yourself, this will work for you. And it can sideload any apk, not just XBMC.

If you need to push a XBMC repository like PleXBMC, you can use one of the command prompts the program opens. Just type

adb push <local pc path to file> <destination path on fire tv>

so example

adb push C:\Android\FireTV\repositories_installer.zip /sdcard/Download

then it's the standard add-ons -> install from zip file -> root filesystem -> sdcard -> downloads to install your zip

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

My parents are going to be cord-cutting in the very near future because they can't stomach paying $200 for Comcast triple play any more.

They'll be changing their Netflix sub to get streaming, possibly subbing to Hulu+, getting a HD antenna, and they have Amazon Prime. They're not quite sure what they want, and I haven't used a streaming device yet. Roku or Fire TV?

I'm not going to deal with installing XBMC on a FireTV and supporting it for them; they have very little tolerance with things crashing, and it sounds like Fire w/ XBMC isn't terribly stable at the moment (and Amazon might update it so it breaks it anyway).
Given that, which streamer would be best for them?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm not going to deal with installing XBMC on a FireTV and supporting it for them; they have very little tolerance with things crashing, and it sounds like Fire w/ XBMC isn't terribly stable at the moment (and Amazon might update it so it breaks it anyway).

XBMC is pretty rock solid on FireTV and Amazon can't do anything to break it since it isn't installed through a hole but Amazon provided developer tools.

Still, Roku 3 is probably the best parent friendly solution available.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pyroclastic posted:

My parents are going to be cord-cutting in the very near future because they can't stomach paying $200 for Comcast triple play any more.

They'll be changing their Netflix sub to get streaming, possibly subbing to Hulu+, getting a HD antenna, and they have Amazon Prime. They're not quite sure what they want, and I haven't used a streaming device yet. Roku or Fire TV?

If they're doing an antenna have you thought about a Tivo? Depending on what internet plan they have they may be interested in something like Blast Plus which is like 80 bucks a month but includes a pretty decent tv selection.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Maneki Neko posted:

If they're doing an antenna have you thought about a Tivo? Depending on what internet plan they have they may be interested in something like Blast Plus which is like 80 bucks a month but includes a pretty decent tv selection.

I was going to say TiVo, OTA DVR, Netflix and Hulu and it has a guide.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

They actually already own a Tivo (Premiere XL). They bought it to replace their Series 2 pretty recently, before the Roamio was released. It supports the major streaming apps, but Roku's got shitloads of channels they could watch. The Roku's purchase price isn't really an issue; it's less than a month of TV.

How many of the channels are premium, besides the obvious of Netflix/Hulu+/HBO? They don't give a poo poo about sports, but being able to bring up Disney or Nickelodeon when the grandkids are over without having to pay would be nice. Paying for a dozen premium services would eliminate the price advantage of cutting the cable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

On Roku Disney is free but you need a cable subscription to verify. However it doesn't verify IP address or anything so if they have any family with a cable sub they can use their login. PBS kids is free with or without cable. There is no Nick app but Amazon Prime video has most of their shows anyways.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So my cable/ISP advertises that I get espn3 with my service, and I have viewed programs on it before when espn had IP verification. Now, they've gone to watchespn format with all the live channels, and are asking for a login, and don't list my provider. Anybody deal with this?

Thinking about cutting cable, being able to get some of the college football games that aren't OTA world be great.

Edit: anyone have any comments on which device will allow the most access to college football? Also interested in possibly adding a DVR, any preference on that?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I live about 33 miles from NBC/CBS/Fox transmitters. Tried picking up one of the cheapish Mohu Leaf paper antennas a few months back, but unfortunately I can only get a weak Univision signal with it (also around 33mi out).

I live in a condo so I can't mount anything outside. Is there a more expensive multi directional antenna I could try? Or is anything indoors not likely to work?

Honestly, just getting a station or two would be great.