Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, it's an enormous hobby that you can have fun at (or frustration) at any budget up to literal million dollar stations that old retired boomer engineers have spent their sixties building on a huge kansas farm

definite money pit hobby, spend carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

against my better judgement i looked into "no ground plane" antennas cause fiberglass body RV

welp turns out that they have a SPECIAL COAX CABLE which sounded fishy, turns out the coax radiates, the antenna's a dummy load. so eff that

We're going with the classic 102 inch CB whip, probably mounted on the front bumper with a big rear end ball mount and the big spring. There are some pretty decent steel frame members just a couple of feet away,so I'll copper-braid to that, but I'm also going to do no fewer than three 1/4 wave radials (remember this fucker is 8 feet wide) inside the front end. I think it'll be fine for CB and 10 meters.

Incidentally, I did some mmana-gal math, and if you take the standard 102 inch CB whip and a six inch spring it's almost perfectly resonant on 27.185, BUUUT if you put a 70 pF (give or take) cap across the input, lo and behold it's got a 50 ohm resonance right around 28.5. i think i could put a relay together to switch the cap in and out, boom, combo cb and 10m antenna

speaking of which, do not fear, the hy-gain 18 footer will be going on here, though it of course wont be deployed in transit

i feel like youll get 70 pF of parasitics from various bullshit between that antenna and your radio :ohdear:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha, 100% possible. the skin on this thing is indeed fiberglass, but it does have an aluminum box frame. very possible that it could interact with that some

ChamS: yeah ive decided, i think i'm going to dust off the IC-475a and put it up for sale/trade on qrz.com today. 706's are going for ~600 in good shape there and I bet I could squeeze $400-450 out of this thing

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
2m Slimjim antenna ripped off from here.

total cost $23.32

Still need to get some coax for it, and waiting on a SWR meter so I can tune it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's a really weird design with that folded top conductor. i'm curious to hear how well it works

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hamradio.jpg

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody posted:

hamradio.jpg
him probably dead

i mean SK

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

that's a really weird design with that folded top conductor. i'm curious to hear how well it works

The twinlead version works well, the open air version should be decent...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Low-Pass Filter posted:

2m Slimjim antenna ripped off from here.

total cost $23.32

Still need to get some coax for it, and waiting on a SWR meter so I can tune it.

i wish i had time to do smth like this. maybe when summer is over

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

hamradio.jpg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

i wish i had time to do smth like this. maybe when summer is over

is it really almost all 70cm there or would you find use for a 2m antenna

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
turns out the 2m rig was broke. it got fixed then a power supply died. my charger was hidden in a box for a couple weeks so I've been out of the loop on what's going on. missed field day too :(

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how do i find a place to get tested for ham-aids

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cjs: hausbus is becoming antenna-festooned

up front on the driver's side we have a 102" cb whip on a ball/spring, and on the passenger side i got my HF vertical mounted. I can set it to ~8 feet for 10 meter operation on the go, or extend it to 18' for down to 20 meter action when we're parked. I mounted up front because that's where the radios will be, and at first I will not have a tuner at the antenna, so I wanted to keep coax losses to a minimum.

I'll install a ground radial system around the perimeter, and ground them both to the frame rails - there are crossmembers just a few inches from each.

On the back corner I have the wifi AP mounted; ubiquiti nanostation on a 4-8 foot extending paint pole. Found some nifty clamps and bolted it right to the ladder - looks neat and works great. Really gets above the trees/rooftops when it's extended.

Got the Icom 208 and the CB power wired up too.

To do: install two dual-band antennas (need to order the mount for one), run coax, bolt up radios.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

the rockies are a hotbed of microwave ham activity because mountaintops so i'm going to get in with those dudes

tiny waves are magic

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i bought a bladeRF to have some fun this summer, turns out it's not all that great on Windows yet, USB 3 barely works and unplugging it while it's running has a 50% chance of bluescreening the system, so i had to install a linux

the linux aside, it's pretty good hardware, using gnuradio-companion makes prototyping RF fairly easy, like this 70cm -> 23cm FM repeater

osmocom Source is a receiver block on the blade, I can sample receive up to around 30 MHz without issues, the band-pass filter selects the coarse RX frequency, and it's mixed down to baseband. with a direct conversion receiver it's best to tune slightly off to avoid any DC bump at 0 Hz.
Signal Source + Multiplier implements a mixer, the low pass filter also does downsampling to 48 kHz, and the FM demodulator makes an audio signal.

In this case I use a wide-band FM transmitter for fidelity, and the baseband FM signal is upsampled, mixed to the tx-offset frequency and passed to the TX module. TX signals can be up to 28 MHz wide, so it's possible to transmit ATSC or DVB-T signals with this software stack. most likely the WFM modulator isn't working all that great since the deviation is larger than the nyquist frequency of the 48 kHz signals it's set to generate, there's also a levels issue I haven't worked out because the documentation tends to be pretty vague

Another thing you can do is sample and demodulate the entire european 70cm band, process and retransmit all of them on 70cm at the same time, one of the examples I found transmits NFM, WFM, AM, LSB, USB, CW and PSK31 at the same time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
breaker one nine we got the cb wired up

it was behind teh dash and nonfunctional when we got the bus, i fixed it up.

its one of these:

pretty cool. no s-meter but who cares its a gd cb

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

breaker one nine we got the cb wired up

it was behind teh dash and nonfunctional when we got the bus, i fixed it up.

its one of these:

pretty cool. no s-meter but who cares its a gd cb

holy poo poo that cable

that's like some milspec poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah big like 16-pin screw lock connector

check the service manual for

--vintage fontz
--pcb's obviously laid out by hand
--list of every chip in the thing

http://cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/67ltd/graphics/cobra_67ltd_sm_pg01_15.pdf

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i got a directional coupler in the mail, and built an antenna analyzer with the bladeRF:

that's the return loss of my semi-rigid 23cm GP antenna after tuning, VSWR at 1270 is 1:1.1, better than 1:1.5 across most of the usable part of the band

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Crs: there's a radio nerd exam in like a week and a half near work so I'm gonna go and fail my technician and/or wind up with an extra :iiam:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Bloody posted:

Crs: there's a radio nerd exam in like a week and a half near work so I'm gonna go and fail my technician and/or wind up with an extra :iiam:

hope you at least read through the question pools first since A) they are available and B) they have a lot of "answer isn't what you'd think, purely arbitrary" questions that you just gotta cram to pass

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya i hamstudied them all

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

ya i hamstudied them all

u got dis

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
is it ever ok to tx music? say, someone singing happy birthday?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

only if its to the ISS for some reason

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
:toot:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody posted:

only if its to the ISS for some reason

i wonder what event took place that prompted them to change the rules

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

i wonder what event took place that prompted them to change the rules

i know its a big thing to play wake-up songs on the shuttle and ISS so maybe they didnt want to piss off the FCC if they were operating and the iss PA started blaring smells like teen spirit or whatever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bump

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

radio stuff is on standby as we are obviously having the busiest month/week of our lives right now getting to CO

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

radio stuff is on standby as we are obviously having the busiest month/week of our lives right now getting to CO

whens full departure?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thursday if we're on the ball, friday if we're not

work starts the 28th i'd like to have a day of recovery

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFo8-JqzSCM

Go jonny go. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

how do i do antenna testing?

i have the tiny SRH805S antenna for my baofeng now and i wnat to test the power of it

it receives and transmits to the local 70cm repeater fine, the 2m repeater in the next town over doesn't seem to be working because i can't get a response from it even with my RH771

e: also i finally got a programming cable after the ebay one i ordered months ago never showed up, i just got one from dx

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 20, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ham_radio.jpg:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

nice :)

definitely a day of recovery

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

Go jonny go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

how do i do antenna testing?

i have the tiny SRH805S antenna for my baofeng now and i wnat to test the power of it

it receives and transmits to the local 70cm repeater fine, the 2m repeater in the next town over doesn't seem to be working because i can't get a response from it even with my RH771

e: also i finally got a programming cable after the ebay one i ordered months ago never showed up, i just got one from dx

use an antenna range :getin:

• Locked thread