Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's probably a way to mod the projectiles or portals themselves to pass through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

QwertySanchez posted:

However I only ever find like 12 or so servers on doomseeker in total over all mods and game modes, is there any better master server lists or some other doom game finder out there? or is that really all there is out there?

Just opened up the Doomseeker list for Zandronum and found this:

That's not even all of the servers with dudes in it, so it sounds like something is going wonky. What master server are you connecting to?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Shadow Hog posted:

I could understand this if it was hitscan weapons, but projectiles not going through portals like player entities would is... highly weird.

It was a long time ago, I just got it the wrong way round. Now you've said it, I recall it was hitscan weapons that didn't work, because I remember dicking about with grenades, watching them change trajectory as they went through the portal.

Yeah, coding hit scan weapons through a portal doesn't bare thinking about.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Can't you just mod hitscan weapons to instead shoot a very fast projectile? Seems like an easy workaround in order to properly implement a headache inducing DM map

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I reloaded my super shotgun after every shot :clint:

That reminds me of a mod I got many years ago off of one of those "5000 Doom levels!!!!!" CDs, where it made the shotgun fire as fast as the plasma gun. You could mow down rooms of Barons in about two seconds. It was glorious until you immediately ran out of shells.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

Can't you just mod hitscan weapons to instead shoot a very fast projectile? Seems like an easy workaround in order to properly implement a headache inducing DM map
That can present a lot of issues, especially in old FPS engines if projectile speed is interpreted as the engine as "move X units forward each tic, then check for collisions" - a bullet-fast projectile could move many units ahead before checking for collision, effectively flying through characters and thin obstacles instead of hitting them. You'd need special code to handle that and I can't remember if that was commonplace in Unreal 1.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Projectiles from the flak cannon and crystal gun move very fast so the game's probably capable of it, it would just take some work to apply that to the weapons that fire hitscans. And everyone would have to relearn the ASMD combo.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 19, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Mr. Fortitude posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_6

Well it's still OpenGL based, sorry to say to ATI users but, isn't the incompatibilities with OpenGL more a fault of ATI than anything?

Most likely, but in the end it doesn't really matter to the player which particular entity is responsible for horking things up.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Man, I'm playing through Blood again with the steam release and I have no idea how I got as far as I did as a kid. This game is drat hard; unfairly so. It reminds me how little I like hitscan weapons in these old games.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Brackhar posted:

Man, I'm playing through Blood again with the steam release and I have no idea how I got as far as I did as a kid. This game is drat hard; unfairly so. It reminds me how little I like hitscan weapons in these old games.

No kidding, im on difficulty 2 because of it, games ruthless.

I think its the spareness of health, it makes you play quick and dirty with lots of saving. Doc Bags are a lifesend and the life seeds moreso.

But my god, the dynamite is the best weapon by far. Its just crazy fun. :allears:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

haveblue posted:

Projectiles from the flak cannon and crystal gun move very fast so the game's probably capable of it, it would just take some work to apply that to the weapons that fire hitscans. And everyone would have to relearn the ASMD combo.

Come to think of it, how does the ASMD respond to portals? From (distant) memory, I'd imagine that the secondary fire would move through just fine, but what about the primary? Does it run afoul of the hitscan problems?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
FirstPersonShitter said that Blood isn't so much of a first-person shooter as much as it is a first-person dynamite chucker. I have to agree, especially regarding the first episode.

I scraped by up until episode 4 on difficulty 3 where I stopped playing (not because of Blood or anything, I think I just got distracted by another game).

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Tippis posted:

Come to think of it, how does the ASMD respond to portals? From (distant) memory, I'd imagine that the secondary fire would move through just fine, but what about the primary? Does it run afoul of the hitscan problems?

Yup. Primary fire doesn't work (much to my disappointment, as I was an instagib addict), but secondary is fine.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
To anyone who is playing Blood, secret levels are on every 4th. They are cleverly hidden and worth the trouble.

Segmentation Fault posted:

FirstPersonShitter said that Blood isn't so much of a first-person shooter as much as it is a first-person dynamite chucker. I have to agree, especially regarding the first episode.

I scraped by up until episode 4 on difficulty 3 where I stopped playing (not because of Blood or anything, I think I just got distracted by another game).

You can throw Hairspray later, you can hold both it and TNT too long... :supaburn:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Johnny Law posted:

Most likely, but in the end it doesn't really matter to the player which particular entity is responsible for horking things up.

Yep, and Wolfenstein and RAGE weren't exactly perfect on Nvidia cards either. I had awful framerates in any slightly open areas, and texture popin to put early Unreal Engine 3 to shame. The idea of an OpenGL only engine is ok, but AMD cards don't run OpenGL well since no one really uses it on Windows, and id doesn't even bother to properly port the games to Linux/OSX.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

They'd have to exist in DirectX in some form if there are console versions, right?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Thyrork posted:

But my god, the dynamite is the best weapon by far. Its just crazy fun. :allears:

I'll always find it interesting how Blood's dynamite is so satisfying to use, yet the dynamite in Redneck Rampage is so unbelievably lovely.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They'd have to exist in DirectX in some form if there are console versions, right?

The PS3 at least uses a form of OpenGL, and I think you can make OpenGL work on the 360 with various tricks. I know the Doom 3 and Riddick ports on the original Xbox were OpenGL

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

catlord posted:

I was thinking maps for Doom, or Quake, or Duke or something (I've apparently forgot about all the obvious ones :downs:). Quake has a bunch of Egypt themed maps, and Doom has Epic2 (and a handful of others), and there's a lot of Medieval styles maps, and I'm certain I've seen Greco-Roman styles too, but a Middle Eastern style theme seems oddly missing.

Middle Eastern architecture (well the Arabian Nights theme park version) is heavily dependent on arches, round towers, and other architectural elements that are difficult or impossible to replicate in an old 2.5D engine, and intricate decorations that can't be put onto a 64x64 texture. Generifantasy, Groman, Egyptian, and Mesoamerican styles lend themselves much beter to low polycounts and blocky architecture.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Woolie Wool posted:

Middle Eastern architecture (well the Arabian Nights theme park version) is heavily dependent on arches, round towers, and other architectural elements that are difficult or impossible to replicate in an old 2.5D engine, and intricate decorations that can't be put onto a 64x64 texture. Generifantasy, Groman, Egyptian, and Mesoamerican styles lend themselves much beter to low polycounts and blocky architecture.

Makes sense, at least in the early days, but by this point, wouldn't most, if not all, the limits have been removed? I just find it somewhat surprising that nobody's tried since.

I even saw a Venetian style Quake map, which was cool to see.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Perhaps, but considering no texture packs exist for such a theme that I know of it would be a tremendous amount of work. And even then, making an Arabic-style arch would be an incredible challenge, requiring sloped 3D floors and with no room for error.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Quake maps made with the ikblue or ikwhite textures are close:

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ikspq2.html
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ikspq3.html
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ikspq4.html
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/kjsp1.html
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/shesp1.html

The current map jam at func_msgboard is using these textures, so more stuff is one the way (and will probably look quite nice).

You can see some work-in-progress shots in the thread at http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61049 such as:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That looks absolutely amazing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Law posted:

Oh my God, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Woolie Wool posted:

Perhaps, but considering no texture packs exist for such a theme that I know of it would be a tremendous amount of work. And even then, making an Arabic-style arch would be an incredible challenge, requiring sloped 3D floors and with no room for error.

Ah, yeah, the textures would definitely be an issue, and one that I hadn't thought of.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Is there a Doom port that prevents your fist from alerting enemies? I always thought that was stupid.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Law posted:

You're going to make me redownload Quake, aren't you?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I always get lost in the different sourceports and none of them seeming to be optimized for people who want to play single player...

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
There are definitely some SP-oriented sourceports!

I just recently did an infodump about this on Shacknews; if you don't mind I'll just link that here: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=32196412#item_32196412

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Former Human posted:

Is there a Doom port that prevents your fist from alerting enemies? I always thought that was stupid.

Stupid it may be, but watching a demo where the guy runs around pumping the fist to get a massive infight started is always funny. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Former Human posted:

And yet an idling chainsaw is silent :allears:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

TerminusEst13 posted:

Just opened up the Doomseeker list for Zandronum and found this:

That's not even all of the servers with dudes in it, so it sounds like something is going wonky. What master server are you connecting to?

I just ran the doomseeker again and yep, I get lotsa servers. I guess evenings in the UK are a low time for doom play..

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

I just ran the doomseeker again and yep, I get lotsa servers. I guess evenings in the UK are a low time for doom play..

Pretty sure it just bugs out sometimes and doesn't get the whole list. There's almost always people playing Doom.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

QwertySanchez posted:

I've been playing lots of Doom recently, I found an amazing mod that combines Ghoul's Forest with Megaman 8bit Deathmatch, it's pretty awesome.
You can't just come in and say something like that without linking it, come on now!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone know the name of the UT99 map that's on a moving train? I saw a gif of it on Tumblr and went "huh, never knew that was in the game" but I think it may be a user created map. And it's definitely not the convoy map that's in 2004 back ported to 99.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
It was an assault map, I know that much. It was in the base game, I remember playing it when I went through the game in single-player.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zeether posted:

Does anyone know the name of the UT99 map that's on a moving train? I saw a gif of it on Tumblr and went "huh, never knew that was in the game" but I think it may be a user created map. And it's definitely not the convoy map that's in 2004 back ported to 99.

AS-HiSpeed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah it was an assault map. I really liked it, along with the other assault maps like the Normandy beach map. Before Counterstrike came out and took over, UT99 assault was fun as hell.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah it was an assault map. I really liked it, along with the other assault maps like the Normandy beach map. Before Counterstrike came out and took over, UT99 assault was fun as hell.

AS-Overlord. Yeah, Overlord in particular was a loving meat-grinder, especially when the teams were heavy on the bots.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Reminds me of that one totally obscure historical battle, Operation Overlord. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zeether posted:

And it's definitely not the convoy map that's in 2004 back ported to 99.

Man that map was awesome. I'm not sure if it was a big mistake or a stroke of genius to put the best map from the game in the Demo, but I have some damned fond memories of playing that map.