Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

That depends on your definition of amazing. If by amazing you mean truly innovative, genre-altering music, then no, because everything in the top 40 you haven't heard before has been almost certainly done by someone else who never made it to the charts. Also music effectively ended in 1952 because you're never going to hear anything more antithetical to the entire concept of music than 4'33".

If by amazing you mean you enjoy listening to it because it sounds good, then there's totally lots of amazing music out there! This also means there's amazing music on every chart because it's a subjective measurement that doesn't define anything except your own personal taste and culture.

shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Only unpopular or undiscovered things can be innovative. Furthermore--hang on, I just got my pantleg caught in the chainwheel of my fixie.

e: Mr. Pennybags only OTP

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
which is the top forty music that is really good and innovative?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

Note that in bro-country, all of these words rhyme.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Miltank posted:

kesha

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Pharell, Lorde, Katy Perry for a start

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Today I learned that Western Union is a bad money transfer service. And I also learned that Bank of America is somehow even worse than I thought. Death to capitalism?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
what

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
trap sprung

No seriously do you actually listen to her music?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

All I know is that Phil Spector is History's Greatest Monster for the Wall of Sound...

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 20, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

i liked dark horse until it got overplayed and i grew sick of it

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
post if you are drunk right now

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
KP has the most hits out of anyone ever or something right?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

N. Senada posted:

can i post if i am not drunk

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SedanChair posted:

trap sprung

No seriously do you actually listen to her music?
It wasn't that much of a trap, heh. I could see the odd one out, but it was too egregious to not ask. In fairness if you'd put Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga or any of the other marketing machines that populate the top of the bubble gum pops from time to time I would've had to ask too.

Anyway, on Perry, not really ever. I heard her name so much for years that I finally sat down one day and went through a bunch on Youtube (spotify requires VPN here, ugh). Pretty run of the mill pop. Not horrible by that standard, just kind of forgettable from what I listened to. It felt like Kylie Minogue or something. "Oh, that's who sings that. Catchy tune."

I'm sure one of her puppetmasters' producers has managed to slip something creative through the cracks at some point, of course. Which thing am I supposed to listen to in order to hear the great part of what she's doing? I'll listen.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

N. Senada posted:

5/6 cherry stouts

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

N. Senada posted:

I might be having a second gin and tonic right now, since you ask.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm finishing off a bottle of wine and eating a sandwich. Revolution's coming along nicely.

e. lovely wine, btw

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I might be having a second gin and tonic right now, since you ask.

god how i envy you

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

N. Senada posted:

god how i envy you

How's the sandwich?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Jimmy Johns, so filled with the blood and sweat of the proletariat; tasting good

too much mayo tho

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Miltank posted:

Do the Killers and Vampire Weekend count as top 40?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIZdjT1472Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k7ueRrKRmo

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

I'm sure one of her puppetmasters' producers has managed to slip something creative through the cracks at some point, of course. Which thing am I supposed to listen to in order to hear the great part of what she's doing? I'll listen.

Any of her hits right now really, Birthday, Dark Horse, Roar etc. Interesting production and the melodies are actually innovative. I mean yes I can dig through music history and say "aha THAT's where those intervals were used before" but you can do that with anything.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

N. Senada posted:

Jimmy Johns, so filled with the blood and sweat of the proletariat; tasting good

too much mayo tho

There's a mayo portioner scoop that we're supposed to use, it's closest to the cash register. You can just peek over and make sure they're using it, or put Easy Mayo in your online/phone order to be sure we do. If you don't, you are definitely in danger of having an entire spatula-full of mayo on your sandwich.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

SedanChair posted:

I mean yes I can dig through music history and say "aha THAT's where those intervals were used before" but you can do that with anything.

I think you're making PsychoInternetHawk's point for him.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

I assumed top 40 meant the literal top 40 songs so no. The Killers are super good though.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

agarjogger posted:

There's a mayo portioner scoop that we're supposed to use, it's closest to the cash register. You can just peek over and make sure they're using it, or put Easy Mayo in your online/phone order to be sure we do. If you don't, you are definitely in danger of having an entire spatula-full of mayo on your sandwich.
You sons of bitches

I am now onto an even worse wine that we've kept for like over 5 months now. Weep for me nation, for truly I am suffering.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
My mouth tastes like mayonaisse, cough syrup, and wood chips.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

I think you're making PsychoInternetHawk's point for him.

It's funny to me how people can't come to grips with the fact that Katy Perry is good. They're like "but have you seen her tits?? How can she be good?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

It's funny to me how people can't come to grips with the fact that Katy Perry is good. They're like "but have you seen her tits?? How can she be good?"

I usually don't like pop music, but if you point me to a good starter song of hers, I'll give it the old college try.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I have never seen her tits, nor do I have a strong opinion about her one way or the other.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Pop music is good.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
is it a good rule of thumb that a politician who actively uses "common sense" as a slogan should be treated with skepticism at best, hostility at worst

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This reminds me of a particular phenomenon I came across in all the Vietnam War research I've been doing for a while now, music as signifier of socio-ethnic blocs within the military during that time. White lifers tended to favor country-western, whereas black draftees unsurprisingly tended more towards Motown, soul, and funk, with white draftees being rockers more often than not (there was some cross-pollination between the last two groups, but almost none with either of them and the first). More than one bar-brawl-turned-race-riot broke out when white lifers monopolized the jukebox in the enlisted club, and blacks got tired of having to listening to, "that hillbilly poo poo."

This is a great fact. Thank you.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I, too, watched Platoon

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

N. Senada posted:

Don't tell me what to do.

Also steely dan is the best band qtiyd or don't I don't care

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

N. Senada posted:

I, too, watched Platoon
:lol:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

SedanChair posted:

Agreed, Katy Perry is truly a once-in-a-generation artist that is radically defining feminism with such ground-breaking music as Teenage Dream

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Advancing feminism: required for music to sound good, be innovative. Stay tuned for developments

Chantilly Say posted:

The erasing of the master for The Second Arrangement is one of the greatest crimes against art in history, worse than the Nazis, hth

Here's what's left:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfP4vsjWtX0

And here's a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgugMZI18pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chantilly Say posted:

Recommend something of theirs, if you're such a big fan!

I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_DyoB4Cjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrmOoR7CShc

And particularly relevant to American gun culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywPcIK-l8Z8

• Locked thread