Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Awww man, as a Catholic I can't holy war all over Romuva pagans with impunity? This sucks :saddowns:

You should be able to. The only caveats would be a restriction on distance, to prevent slow down countries from blobbing outside of their sphere of influence; and their ability to convert to your religion to end a holy war. That goes away if they reform though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nolanar posted:

You should be able to. The only caveats would be a restriction on distance, to prevent slow down countries from blobbing outside of their sphere of influence; and their ability to convert to your religion to end a holy war. That goes away if they reform though.

drat it I must not be close enough. I thought Lithuania wasn't that far from my British Empire but I guess the game is gonna be an anal about this. Where's a good bridge when you need one? :argh:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

drat it I must not be close enough. I thought Lithuania wasn't that far from my British Empire but I guess the game is gonna be an anal about this. Where's a good bridge when you need one? :argh:

You need to be neighboring a pagan/muslim county to holy war them, see if there's any claimants you can gobble up from that area that you can give a quick barony/whatever to and then press their claim.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

You need to be neighboring a pagan/muslim county to holy war them, see if there's any claimants you can gobble up from that area that you can give a quick barony/whatever to and then press their claim.

Yeah that'd be the smart way to do it, thanks.

While I'm on the topic of CBs, isn't there supposed to be a CB to depose an antipope? I don't see any option to beat up the Kaiser for his lovely Antipope and it vexes me.

Edit: Did Paradox nerf vassal levies or something along the way? I feel like everybody's giving me breadcrumbs for levies even at high opinion levels, compared to last time I did this Britannian Empire thing. Admittedly that was two expansions ago or so. Things feel pretty balanced in any case just wondering if it's my imagination.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 20, 2014

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

While I'm on the topic of CBs, isn't there supposed to be a CB to depose an antipope? I don't see any option to beat up the Kaiser for his lovely Antipope and it vexes me.

I've noticed that it doesn't always show up. Why, I have no idea.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

I've noticed that it doesn't always show up. Why, I have no idea.

I guess I'll keep randomly checking the Kaisers diplomacy screen with murderous intent then :argh:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Edit: Did Paradox nerf vassal levies or something along the way? I feel like everybody's giving me breadcrumbs for levies even at high opinion levels, compared to last time I did this Britannian Empire thing. Admittedly that was two expansions ago or so. Things feel pretty balanced in any case just wondering if it's my imagination.

Yeah, with SoA they massively nerfed levies from large realms. Just use retinues, you should almost never need to raise levies. Dropping them to minimum will give you a handy relations bonus too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, with SoA they massively nerfed levies from large realms. Just use retinues, you should almost never need to raise levies. Dropping them to minimum will give you a handy relations bonus too.

Bah humbug to that I say! I love my big numbers.

Nah but seriously I feel like I have to work for things about the right amount now. Pretty happy with where they settled.

Seriously why can't I depose this drat Antipope

Edit: Speaking of levy laws, aren't they more or less totally redundant if your Crown Law is at a certain point?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 20, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So if I as a Merchant Republic take a city off some fucker from outside the realm, does that belong to my family in perpetuity, or does it change hands upon the election of a different Patrician family?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
If you're the Doge at the time, it belongs to the Republic, and will be taken from you when(Not if, at least at first) you lose the Dogeship. Primary reason to work on your palace with the money; so you can start carving a real power base when you're not the Doge.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Chief Savage Man posted:

I have six vassal republics right now. Crimea, Normandy, Mecklenburg, Genoa, Pisa, and Venice. Pisa is a king and really hates me.

I wanna set one up in the Sinai and see if I can get trade going in India.

Hey lots of vassal republics buddy. I got Albany, Kent, Vestlandet, Navarra, Tangier, Mallorca, Venice, and Karvuna, currently gunning for Estonia and Crete.

Being a Norse emperor is a good life, once you get to a certain size your vassals and random Norse adventurers are constantly making new conquests, my vassal King of Scotland recently conquered Rome. I even got to steal it away by forming the ducal title (Latium) and giving it to the subvassal he passed Rome onto. Of course that doesn't always happen and my internal borders are all kinds of hosed.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

So this happened to one of my allies.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So, a question for players of the GoT mod: last time I played it, I found that clicking on the "Religions" tab caused an instant crash to desktop. Anyone else encountering this issue?

(Also, for Ofaloaf and Sam should they see this: psyched for that post-apoc mod, let me know if I can help out at all.)

Veryslightlymad posted:

So this happened to one of my allies.

"Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!"

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 20, 2014

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Bloodly posted:

If you're the Doge at the time, it belongs to the Republic, and will be taken from you when(Not if, at least at first) you lose the Dogeship. Primary reason to work on your palace with the money; so you can start carving a real power base when you're not the Doge.

I don't think it's the case that you lose all your holdings when you lose the election. I think things that go to the doge are:
* All top-level titles
* The capital duchy
* The capital county
* The capital barony

I believe as Venice, I still had the non-capital baronies in the county of Venice after succession.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Sharing a sea zone with a county is often counted as in range for holy wars, but there are (purposefully) some weird adjacencies in the Baltic to stop the Norse from just running riot and owning all of the Romuvan lands really early on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Edit: Speaking of levy laws, aren't they more or less totally redundant if your Crown Law is at a certain point?

I too would like an answer to this; I think I knew how it worked at one point but have since forgotten. :shobon:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I too would like an answer to this; I think I knew how it worked at one point but have since forgotten. :shobon:

They are. Setting the minimum will always override the max setting, even for vassals that loathe you. One of the reasons I actually like max authority, because I can drop levies to minimum, and still get troops.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Flesnolk posted:

So, a question for players of the GoT mod: last time I played it, I found that clicking on the "Religions" tab caused an instant crash to desktop. Anyone else encountering this issue?

There's a new version of the mod to correspond with the CK2 update, maybe try reinstalling? Are you running any submods?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you are popular you get more levies through high levy laws. If a vassal has an opinion of +100 of you, he will give you 100% of his levies at the highest levy laws. With max CA you only get 40%.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Okay so, something is bugging me. I'm out in Estonia killing pagans, and I'm suffering attrition despite the fact that I am both A) Under the supply limit and B) Have a high enough Mil Organization high enough to avoid pagan stronghold penalties.

What could be causing this?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Torrannor posted:

If you are popular you get more levies through high levy laws. If a vassal has an opinion of +100 of you, he will give you 100% of his levies at the highest levy laws. With max CA you only get 40%.

80%, you get 40 at medium.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TaurusTorus posted:

80%, you get 40 at medium.

Right, sorry I rarely play with max CA. So you will still get more from lower CA and high levy laws, but only if your vassals really like you.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Right, sorry I rarely play with max CA. So you will still get more from lower CA and high levy laws, but only if your vassals really like you.

But at max you can turn your levies down to minimum, and still get a ton of men, while also getting money from your vassals. Plus your vassals don't end up too big usually, because it's much harder for them to expand.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I love the pope :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I love the pope :allears:

:catholic::hf::catholic:

Me too man. Meeeee too.

How can I say no to Papal Investiture when he repays me with so much loving money?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

jerman999 posted:

There's a new version of the mod to correspond with the CK2 update, maybe try reinstalling? Are you running any submods?

No submods for the mod proper, but I am running VIET Traits and Events, which hasn't caused any problem before. I'm also running all DLC except Sunset Invasion, because Aztecs showing up out of nowhere to curbstomp Westeros, while maybe a good simulation of the Others, is a bit silly. I'll see if the new version fixes the issue but I was pretty sure I was up to date.

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

Okay so, something is bugging me. I'm out in Estonia killing pagans, and I'm suffering attrition despite the fact that I am both A) Under the supply limit and B) Have a high enough Mil Organization high enough to avoid pagan stronghold penalties.

What could be causing this?

Maybe there are lots of allies or neutral troops on that county. I had that once, can be easy to overlook.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'll grant you that it's convoluted, but it's so much more profitable to push an anti-pope's claim, marry the deposed Pope to your daughter, invite him to your court then imprison and banish him.

Screw asking for SOME of the Pope's money, I'll just take ALL of it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

What are the Goon Approved mods these days? I'm just getting back into this and CK2+ seems to be be quite out of date.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Oh come on game, that's not very nice.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What are the Goon Approved mods these days? I'm just getting back into this and CK2+ seems to be be quite out of date.

Historical Immersion Project for a historical experience. Game of Thrones, Elder Kings and Lux Invicta for fantasy mods. Basically all the mods that got their own subforum are good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My Empire of Bengal ironman game may have had its save break. :negative:

My (idiot, underage) son just inherited and whenever I try to move to the next day the game crashes.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Some people seem to like Project Balance. I just mainly play vanilla now. DallanInvictus, how's CK2+ going anyway? No commits on the github for like 8 days.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'm very fond of HIP, as long as you avoid the SWMH and ARKOPack Interface submods.

I wrote a longer bit on the CK2 mod scene here: http://themittani.com/features/crusader-kings-ii-mod-roundup

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

:catholic::hf::catholic:

Me too man. Meeeee too.

How can I say no to Papal Investiture when he repays me with so much loving money?

The only thing that gets me to switch is when I'm big enough to press my antipope's claim and get even more money.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Is there any video online of what CK 2 looked like before any patches, back with 1.02b?

Edit: Never mind, finally found one, but it took a while.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 21, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FartGhost posted:

Maybe there are lots of allies or neutral troops on that county. I had that once, can be easy to overlook.

There aren't. Which is why I'm really really confused :shepicide:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I do not get why I lose battles sometimes. I have 100 more troops than you! Gosh dang it!!!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Alikchi posted:

I'm very fond of HIP, as long as you avoid the SWMH and ARKOPack Interface submods.

I wrote a longer bit on the CK2 mod scene here: http://themittani.com/features/crusader-kings-ii-mod-roundup

That article makes Lux Invictus sound really cool. Does anybody have any experience with it? What's it like to actually play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

There aren't. Which is why I'm really really confused :shepicide:

There can be several reasons. If the province is a non-coastal tundra province and you have no adjacent holding, the natural supply limit can be really low. Or it can be afflicted with a disease, which also reduces the supply limit.

And lastly, you do remember the attrition revamp? The longer your troops have been away from friendly holdings, the lower their supply, simulating an inability to resupply themselves. If they sailed all the way from Britain to Estonia, they may simply have run out of food. Occupy a holding and see if they are still starving.

• Locked thread