Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

BJPaskoff posted:

Does anyone have a list for this mono-green deck? I keep missing it on stream.

They posted a deck tech a little bit ago:

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_monogreen_devotion_w.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

If you give something the "Whenever [x] deals damage..." trigger (through Stir the Pride, say), are at 10 life but taking 11 damage, and you would gain 10 life off the trigger, you die with the trigger on the stack.
With Lifelink, the damage is all dealt and you gain it at the same time.

Related to Lifelink chat, the old "When this creature deals damage..." wording was actually briefly keyworded as lifelink when 10th edition was released, but they reverted it and made it a separate ability when they changed the damage rules with Magic 2010. Luckily only one card with the old ability was reprinted with Lifelink in that brief window: Loxodon Warhammer. Since Wizards goes off of the latest printing when figuring out functionality changes due to rules updates, it's the only card with the old ability that has been errata'd to have the Lifelink keyword.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

Does Tangle Wire sound about as stupid in a Derevi EDH deck as I think it sounds?

I'm only asking because my LCS opened a box of FTV20 and raffled off the contents to the entrants of today's Launch Sealed event (I placed 4th, was coo) and I got Tangle Wire.

It's a great card, but do yourself a favor and get the old one.

Rinkles posted:

Phage was temporarily given the zombie creature type, and now it's avatar? Some of these erratas seem unnecessary.

It was part of the lorwyn creature type changes, where they updated all of the creatures to have the types that you would expect them to have (like Warrior Angel being a Warrior), while eliminating types like "lady of proper etiquette" and "ali from cairo."

Phage was actually part of the second round where they changed more types based on community recommendations. I guess her being a zombie was a lore thing, but when they actually went to reprint her, they looked at her more closely and figured Avatar was more appropriate.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Pulled Jace, Nissa, Lilliana, and a vault in my prize packs (22) and some decent rares as well. Only did one daft so far of m15. First picked phytottitan and went u/g. Went 1/1 and lost to b/r super removal with a siege dragon I passed pack 2. Hopefully more drafts after BBQ.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Mechanics question:

If I hour of need something with ephara's enlightenment on it, I would assume the aura cannot return to my hand?

Mtgo gave me the prompt despite not giving me the card.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I pulled a jace, 2 nissa, foil Garruk, Liliana, foil caves, shivan reef, 2 llanowar waste, 2 waste not, 2 urborg, 1 soul of theros, a scuttling doom engine, 2 sliver hives, 2 yavimaya coasts, a battlefield forge, an avacyn and two chain veils across my box and fatpack and 3 prize packs last night.

Garruk was in the first pack I opened. I think that may be the last sealed product I ever need to open.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 20, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

tirinal posted:

Mechanics question:

If I hour of need something with ephara's enlightenment on it, I would assume the aura cannot return to my hand?

Mtgo gave me the prompt despite not giving me the card.

Nope, it gets exiled first before a creature can enter the battlefield.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

And on the other side I'll be a waitin', with my poo poo eating grin as I tap my mana dorks and my lands and announce, "Chord for three."

G/R does this, too. :ssh:

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?
Dumb EDH question:

If I have a Chief Engineer and an Artifact general that has died multiple times, can I convoke away the 2 mana penalty? Eg, Sharuum, The Hegemon has died once; can I pay BUW and tap five creatures? I am assuming not, but some of commanders from the 2013 decks consider the total cost to cast, so I thought there was a chance.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

apistat posted:

Dumb EDH question:

If I have a Chief Engineer and an Artifact general that has died multiple times, can I convoke away the 2 mana penalty? Eg, Sharuum, The Hegemon has died once; can I pay BUW and tap five creatures? I am assuming not, but some of commanders from the 2013 decks consider the total cost to cast, so I thought there was a chance.

I believe so. Costs are set (base cost +2 for each time it's returned to the Command Zone) and then you can reduce it with Convoke.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

apistat posted:

Dumb EDH question:

You may. Effects that lower the cost of artifacts like Etherium Sculptor also work the same.

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?
Fantastic! Thanks! My playgroup is going to be so annoyed :allears:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

It's a great card, but do yourself a favor and get the old one.

It was part of the lorwyn creature type changes, where they updated all of the creatures to have the types that you would expect them to have (like Warrior Angel being a Warrior), while eliminating types like "lady of proper etiquette" and "ali from cairo."

Miss Demeanor never had her creature type changed (though it is not listed as a valid creature type)

Edit: she's also still listed as a Summon in Gatherer :v: Guess they don't want to be forced to change it OR make it a valid creature type in "real" Magic

LGD fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 20, 2014

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

LGD posted:

Miss Demeanor never had her creature type changed (though it is not listed as a valid creature type)

Edit: she's also still listed as a Summon in Gatherer :v: Guess they don't want to be forced to change it OR make it a valid creature type in "real" Magic

I'm pretty sure none of the Un-sets ever get their Oracle text updated for syntax, keywords, etc. because they aren't legal in anything and occasionally rely on specific wordplay to get the joke across.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Dr. Stab posted:

Phage was actually part of the second round where they changed more types based on community recommendations. I guess her being a zombie was a lore thing, but when they actually went to reprint her, they looked at her more closely and figured Avatar was more appropriate.

Phage isn't undead: she gets her powers from the Cabal's "god" Kuberr. Avatar makes more sense.

The best part of the revision btw was Warmonger:

Monger -> Ox Monger -> Minotaur Monger

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

apistat posted:

Dumb EDH question:

Yes. Convoke just means that you can tap creatures as part of paying the cost. The {2} for commanders is an additional cost.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
A weird way to win a Vintage Dredge game 2 is to just not sideboard anything in and hope your opponent sides out a lot of his threats aggressively. By which I mean, this is a terrible strategy and you should sideboard against Dredge.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chorocojo posted:

Phage isn't undead: she gets her powers from the Cabal's "god" Kuberr. Avatar makes more sense.

The best part of the revision btw was Warmonger:

Monger -> Ox Monger -> Minotaur Monger

The real tragedy is that Spiritmonger hasn't been updated to be a Beast Monger. (As cute as Spirit Monger would be, it wouldn't actually make sense.)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I like watching Sneak & Show vs ANT in Legacy. 5 minute games are a lot more tolerable than Miracles or Delver mirrors going to time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

I like watching Sneak & Show vs ANT in Legacy. 5 minute games are a lot more tolerable than Miracles or Delver mirrors going to time.

Gonna have to agree with that.

Miracles looks like a fun and interesting deck that tests your ability to judge the situation as a player but holy gently caress I don't ever want to watch the mirror if I don't have to.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Gonna have to agree with that.

Miracles looks like a fun and interesting deck that tests your ability to judge the situation as a player but holy gently caress I don't ever want to watch the mirror if I don't have to.

The Miracles mirror is usually really fast. Its essentially over in 4-5 turns, even if it takes another 20 to actually end. Nearly every mirror I've played ended in less than half an hour, unless my opponent was especially inexperienced in it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

qbert posted:

Only because it's a change of pace though. If more Legacy matchups were that uninteractive I imagine you'd get bored with the format really quickly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So everyone really underestimated how good Sign in Blood is.....

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Massive punt on the stream. Protip: FOW that Burning Wish!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

En Fuego posted:

Massive punt on the stream. Protip: FOW that Burning Wish!

I wasn't playing when Storm was first introduced as a mechanic and didn't realize until just now that countering a Storm spell only counters one instance of the spell. No wonder the deck's so resilient.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

qbert posted:

I wasn't playing when Storm was first introduced as a mechanic and didn't realize until just now that countering a Storm spell only counters one instance of the spell. No wonder the deck's so resilient.

Ideally you'd counter them before they have the mana and storm count to win.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

You can also Stifle the Storm trigger if you happen to be playing a deck that actually has Stifle (i.e. RUG Delver)

though that's risky since once they get their mana acceleration going there is a non-trivial chance they can wreck your hand with discard

still really funny when you can pull it off though, since if you have any sort of clock at all they're basically out of the game

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
God I love M15 limited...
Just got back from an M15 sealed tournament. Went 4-0, winning all but one round 2-0. I played RUB (red-blue-black) and took 1st place.
Rares were Soul of Shandalar (with a foil Stormtide Leviathan in same pack), Indulgent Tormentor, Aetherspout, Haunted Plate Mail, Master of Predicaments, and Life's Legacy. Ditched Legacy and ran tempo-control/aggro until I used my lone Generator Servant to dump Shandalar or Stormtide.
Funny moments:
I swung with Shandalar with six untapped, he cast Polymorphist's Jest and double-blocked, and I chronostuttered my own guy to save him from dying.
I swung with Stormtide Leviathan, he Aetherspouted it to the top. Next turn he swing with everyone for lethal, and one of the guys watching said "Wouldn't it be funny if she also...", and I cast Aetherspout.

My roommate played too, and I feel really bad for him. He opened Goblin Rabblerouser, Goblin Kaboomist, The Wanderer Bard, The Chain Veil, Stormtide Leviathan, and a Caves of Kolios. Besides a Cone of Flame, he had absolutely no way to deal with any fliers in his entire pool. He ended up going 1-3, with the 1 being a first-round bye.

Valicious fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 21, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I lost to Feline Longmore on High Tide, the finale culminating in her having the mana to cast infinitely many Capsize with Buyback to bounce her candelabras, then when she had made infinite mana responding to her Top draw activation with a buyback'd Capsize to draw her whole deck. Legacy owns.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sneak & Show player in the semis made two bad decisions that cost him the game. First he Show & Tell'd a Sneak Attack into play, sacs his last fetchland for red mana, opponent sacs HIS fetchland in response and Golgari Charms the Sneak Attack. If he had just sequenced correctly and cracked that fetch before the Show & Tell, he would've won.

Next turn he miraculously draws another Show & Tell, casts it, and chooses to put Emrakul into play instead of Griselbrand. Doesn't see that his opponent has lethal in two turns with Creeping Tar Pit, Goyf, and Deathrite Shaman, and enough permanents to survive an Annihilator trigger and still win.

Really goes to show that knowing how to play your deck is way more important than picking the right deck in Legacy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It feels amazing when your opponent casts Show and Tell and you have Angel of Despair in hand.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It feels amazing when your opponent casts Show and Tell and you have Angel of Despair in hand.

Is there a reason to still play Angel of Despair over Ashen Rider?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

qbert posted:

Is there a reason to still play Angel of Despair over Ashen Rider?

Ashen Rider isn't in the cube :psyduck:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Ashen Rider isn't in the cube :psyduck:

Considering you were posting directly after he was talking about Legacy Sneak and Show why are you surprised that he'd assume you were talking about Legacy :psyduck:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Grindy "fair" games when you're behind are so miserable to play in Legacy. At least when you lose to something unfair you finish up quick and shuffle up for another shot and you don't spend 10+ turns with your foot on your dick.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Grindy "fair" games when you're behind are so miserable to play in Legacy. At least when you lose to something unfair you finish up quick and shuffle up for another shot and you don't spend 10+ turns with your foot on your dick.

But man, coming back feels soooo good in legacy. It's not like modern where you're behind and then suddenly you combo off and win. You actually have to work for it. I've been down at 1 life to 18 against Deathblade and come back for the win, still at 1 life. That's still one of my favorite games I've played.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

qbert posted:

Sneak & Show player in the semis made two bad decisions that cost him the game. First he Show & Tell'd a Sneak Attack into play, sacs his last fetchland for red mana, opponent sacs HIS fetchland in response and Golgari Charms the Sneak Attack. If he had just sequenced correctly and cracked that fetch before the Show & Tell, he would've won.

Next turn he miraculously draws another Show & Tell, casts it, and chooses to put Emrakul into play instead of Griselbrand. Doesn't see that his opponent has lethal in two turns with Creeping Tar Pit, Goyf, and Deathrite Shaman, and enough permanents to survive an Annihilator trigger and still win.

Really goes to show that knowing how to play your deck is way more important than picking the right deck in Legacy.

Isn't this the same guy that lost in the Standard finals? Keep not casting that Voice of Resurgence, it's only like one of the better cards against Mono-Black Devotion...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mcmagic posted:

So everyone really underestimated how good Sign in Blood is.....

Is this a response to something in particular? Debating if they replace Connections in my BW standard deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this a response to something in particular? Debating if they replace Connections in my BW standard deck.

Sign in Blood didn't see much play this weekend at pro tour. Also, one of the major guys who did run it got his rear end kicked apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I have zero idea from personal experience, but Owen Turtenwald mentioned Sign in Blood in his article today, and the takeaway I got was that in most situations where you'd play Sign, Read the Bones is probably better.

• Locked thread