Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kafziel posted:

Please elaborate on this. Can they be marketed? Or sold to a vendor?

You can infinitely claim any ship special console but they have a sale price of 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is the Valdore/Mogai set bonus worth using both consoles?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18079061#post18079061

Borticus basically admits they rushed in everything for the new update without testing and is not understanding why people are annoyed by this.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

MikeJF posted:

You can infinitely claim any ship special console but they have a sale price of 0.

So why is it a big fancy thing that you can claim the consoles on these particular ships repeatedly, that would cause a rush to buy them?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Korgan posted:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18079061#post18079061

Borticus basically admits they rushed in everything for the new update without testing and is not understanding why people are annoyed by this.

I picked up all the ground traits for my science alt and then just crouched at a capture and hold point in the Voth battleground, left to go take out the trash and do some laundry, came back and I was still standing there and the point was captured solo. So yeah, maybe some balance is needed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kafziel posted:

So why is it a big fancy thing that you can claim the consoles on these particular ships repeatedly, that would cause a rush to buy them?

If they were bind on equip, you could trade them or sell them.

ayrsayle
Jan 5, 2013
Speaking of dilithium, it looks like the only dilithium vendor with anything other than hangar pets and pissbeams remaining is a Romulan-only in a Romulan Command Center. Every neutral and faction station I'd looked at tonight didn't have them, but this one vendor had dil blue quality weapons, kit modules, armor and consumables.

Is this just a bug the store is in that one spot now? Apparently it's not an option for Fed/KDF as far as I can tell.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ayrsayle posted:

Speaking of dilithium, it looks like the only dilithium vendor with anything other than hangar pets and pissbeams remaining is a Romulan-only in a Romulan Command Center. Every neutral and faction station I'd looked at tonight didn't have them, but this one vendor had dil blue quality weapons, kit modules, armor and consumables.

Is this just a bug the store is in that one spot now? Apparently it's not an option for Fed/KDF as far as I can tell.

Did you check the Dyson command store too? That's the only other place I know of that sold the unique Romulan plasma weapons.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

good conspiracy theory in tng tonight. btran is harder because devs hate a2b!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They've been trying to reign it in for a while now, by giving various perks to actually having your Aux present. The point has been kinda missed(Aux2Bat at this point is mostly about the cooldown reduction and what THAT entails for damage and survivability) but the perks are good ones.

I've never gone in for it, mostly because of the (laziness)issue of doing a full colonisation chain, then having to get a Critical Success(A success isn't good enough, it doesn't get you a Duty Officer at all as I understand it) on a mission with(as I understand it) a really bad spawn rate to begin with.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Used to spawn at least once a day and it was easy as gently caress to get >30% crit on it. Also there are other sources for those guys if you really don't want to do the cluster chains but there's also no reason not to.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

it is quite a pain from having 4 chances every 4 hours to 1 every 4. i haven't seen it pop up once since the patch.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

At the moment A2B s honestly pretty balanced; it has some big benefits, but is only useful for certain ships and crippling for most others, especially with the steady increase in stuff that keys off Aux power. What Cryptic's dislike forA2B really entails is that it's the only "endgame" duty officer build that doesn't require any investment beyond time, since anyone can eventually farm up some technicians from B'tran. Everything else requires rare and expensive purple duty officers from c-store packs (a notable example of the moment being attack pattern conn pfficers), and I'm positive this is the real reason why Cryptic keeps talking about killing it. The only reason they haven't is probably due to the dev team being overworked and it being a relatively low priority.

There needs to be some sort of cheap re-release of "high demand" doffs, but that will never ever loving happen.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Today in terrible PUG teams, I was running Infected Space and noticed the cube at the beginning took about four times as as long to kill as normal. I looked over at my teammates and there was a Scimitar with mismatched beams and a Star Cruiser with dual beam banks. :negative:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Asimo posted:

At the moment A2B s honestly pretty balanced; it has some big benefits, but is only useful for certain ships and crippling for most others, especially with the steady increase in stuff that keys off Aux power. What Cryptic's dislike forA2B really entails is that it's the only "endgame" duty officer build that doesn't require any investment beyond time, since anyone can eventually farm up some technicians from B'tran. Everything else requires rare and expensive purple duty officers from c-store packs (a notable example of the moment being attack pattern conn pfficers), and I'm positive this is the real reason why Cryptic keeps talking about killing it. The only reason they haven't is probably due to the dev team being overworked and it being a relatively low priority.

There needs to be some sort of cheap re-release of "high demand" doffs, but that will never ever loving happen.

Last time I checked there were literally NO Klingon AP Doffs in the exchange.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Asimo posted:

While not exactly what you're talking about, I did like the duty officer re-release that occurred with the ones that added damage against Elachi (for what little we see of them).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lorak posted:

While not exactly what you're talking about, I did like the duty officer re-release that occurred with the ones that added damage against Elachi (for what little we see of them).

They did the energy weapon doffs for that, but not the AP doffs (which are the ones that are really important).

BuffDaddy
Apr 15, 2003

для матушка Рос&#
I am playing this game again, can you send a channel invite to:

Boofy@B0ofy

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think I found the best scimitar guys. I'm already re-doing all my weapons to match this work of genius.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

g0del posted:

I think I found the best scimitar guys. I'm already re-doing all my weapons to match this work of genius.

How do you even...did they just see the big damage numbers on torps and say 'Oh I gotta get me some of that!'

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

How do you even...did they just see the big damage numbers on torps and say 'Oh I gotta get me some of that!'
Also, a boff beam skill which only affects one of his weapons (the cutting beam specifically states that it's not affected by beam skills).

Strangely enough, he wasn't even the lowest dps in ISE. Just goes to show how absurd the scimitar is - you can run that monstrosity and still not be the worst guy on the team.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Hunter Noventa posted:

I suspect that a fair number of pubbies rely on torps for damage because they don't have their weapon power set to 100.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Something needs to be done about the Tholian red alert because the success rate for them is abysmal and unless you get lucky you're basically throwing your time away.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Woolie Wool posted:

Something needs to be done about the Tholian red alert because the success rate for them is abysmal and unless you get lucky you're basically throwing your time away.

I don't even take that daily anymore. To be fair, I just assumed that it was my poor play or ignorance of objectives that resulted in all the wasted time, but maybe it's not all my doing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

I suspect that a fair number of pubbies rely on torps for damage because they don't have their weapon power set to 100.
I'm dying a lot, I need to set my shields to 100! :downs:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

BuffDaddy posted:

I am playing this game again, can you send a channel invite to:

Boofy@B0ofy

You're invited.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Asimo posted:

When I was a raw noob I actually used the defense preset, it took forever to kill anything. Now when I start an alt and one of my boffs tells me in an early mission to "take a defensive posture" I ignore him.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

I don't even take that daily anymore. To be fair, I just assumed that it was my poor play or ignorance of objectives that resulted in all the wasted time, but maybe it's not all my doing.

The entire team needs to be on the ball and work together, and it needs to be a full team with no missing players. If any of these conditions are not met the Tholians will slaughter you.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

g0del posted:

Also, a boff beam skill which only affects one of his weapons (the cutting beam specifically states that it's not affected by beam skills).

Strangely enough, he wasn't even the lowest dps in ISE. Just goes to show how absurd the scimitar is - you can run that monstrosity and still not be the worst guy on the team.

That's because most things in ISE are unshielded so the torps actually hit unlike every other nonborg stf were he would almost certainly come in last.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Woolie Wool posted:

When I was a raw noob I actually used the defense preset, it took forever to kill anything. Now when I start an alt and one of my boffs tells me in an early mission to "take a defensive posture" I ignore him.

The best defence you can possibly mount in Star Trek Online is to blow up everything that can possibly shoot at you as quickly as possible.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It would be interesting if Cryptic actually rebalanced the game from top to bottom to make tanking actually work as originally intended, especially for the ocean of pubbie tears that would result from all the cookie cutter builds no longer working.

But then maybe the DPS obsession works in STO's favor, by giving it something to distinguish it from World of Warcraft.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 21, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Asimo posted:

Even though I 'know better' now, wouldn't you? You're taking hits, you set the defences up.

I wonder how things were 'meant to be' concerning power every so often. They bothered to set it up, they bothered to give you customisation in terms of power levels plus the three pre-sets. And these days it doesn't matter because everything's running at near-maximum in all systems.

Then again, you can still die even with all power levels maxed.(I still don't understand how exactly the Undine do so much damage, but they do.)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 21, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is there like a guide for that, because I only get such astronomical power levels for brief period when I've got EPTS and EPS Power Transfer up. In my Mogai my power levels (weapons/shields/engines/aux) are usually around 125/50/60/30. The game system is completely hosed at this point, I think. DPS needs to be taken down a few pegs, while tanks and especially offensive sci need a massive boost.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Look up "Aux2Batt." Or buy a plasmonic leech console.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

Is there like a guide for that, because I only get such astronomical power levels for brief period when I've got EPTS and EPS Power Transfer up. In my Mogai my power levels (weapons/shields/engines/aux) are usually around 125/50/60/30. The game system is completely hosed at this point, I think. DPS needs to be taken down a few pegs, while tanks and especially offensive sci need a massive boost.
Are you running plasmonic leech? If not, you should be running plasmonic leech. And then shooting all the things.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's one of the consoles you can't get unless you're KDF or a space gazillionaire, right?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Woolie Wool posted:

The weird thing is is that when it was manual to enter that never happened.

For some reason putting it into a public queue dropped the efficacy of a run down to nearly zero. Probably would help if they forcibly disbarred people who didn't have a suit at least.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Woolie Wool posted:

That's one of the consoles you can't get unless you're KDF or a space gazillionaire, right?

Yeah, but you're an engineer right? You take the trait that gives a bonus to all power levels when you use an emergency power skill and then use Aux2Batt after and you should have max weapons and shields and 80+ engines most of the time.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm an engineer, so I have the trait that gives me power to all when I use Power to X or a battery. I have duty officers that have a chance to give me extra power when I use Power to X(Warp Core Engineer). Also stacking up Duty Officers that have a chance to reduce the cooldown of power to X directly(Damage Control Engineer).

Basically I'm stuck in the 'old way' of 'Power to Weapons, Power to Shields, repeat'.

I have the Plasmonic Leech, but only on one character-a Fed. I've taken the same route on the Romulan KDF(also an engineer) without such. It still works out about the same. I just end up with good power levels all the time in combat.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Even though I 'know better' now, wouldn't you? You're taking hits, you set the defences up.

I wonder how things were 'meant to be' concerning power every so often. They bothered to set it up, they bothered to give you customisation in terms of power levels plus the three pre-sets. And these days it doesn't matter because everything's running at near-maximum in all systems.

Then again, you can still die even with all power levels maxed.(I still don't understand how exactly the Undine do so much damage, but they do.)
Oh yeah, even though I'm being snarky there's a whole lot of problems with mechanics and tutorials in the game that make for a surprisingly huge wall for newbies. Power levels are a big example here; the tutorials you get are minimal at best and the actual effects of power levels are pretty obfuscated (you have to check tooltips of individual stats/skills/weapons, not a simply listed "this boosts <whatever> by X%") so even if a new player knows about and remembers to change power levels, there's no way for them to know that Weapon power is so much more valuable than Shield or Engine power. Especially since if you are struggling you'll take the wrong lessons away ("I'm being hurt a lot! I'll raise shield power instead of using a healing skill, since it's shield power so it will help right?) And then you get the typical problem where the defaults Cryptic tosses you are the "wrong" way of doing things; ships start even across the board, not with weapon power maxed like you really need to.

I'm getting the sneaking impression that power levels as a mechanic really need to go away. It leads to horribly unintuitive decisions, indirectly nerfs science skills, and a bunch of other weird side effects. It'd also force Cryptic to make Engineers not kinda crappy. :smith:

• Locked thread