Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

drat, this talk of 7 is making me want to load it up again. I think I beat it quite thoroughly when it came out, but my save is on an old ePSXe .MCR memory card file. Even though I do own a physical copy of the game, I emulated it at the time since I didn't have a PS1. Any decent emulators lately support that format of memory card file? My complete SotN save is on it too :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Vittles posted:

Don't doubt yourself, 9 is the best one. 7 was lots of fun at the time but even then felt outdated in some ways. After playing 6 and going back to 7, I found 7 even more disappointing, as it took the really fun job system of 6 and bloated it all to hell. And that's before you even consider the monster jobs. That said, it's still more good than bad and the bad might even be more personal feeling than objective truth, but even considering that the game is so drat long.

All that said, I would buy a 3DS specifically for the DQ7 remake.

You've got to be crazy. 9 isn't even a shadow of 7 or 8. Yeah, it looks better than 7 by a long shot, and the story may be a little tighter, but wow. 9 is probably the weakest DQ game I've seen since, I don't know when. It's way too short and relies too much on silly dressup games. 8 has a much better, more cohesive storyline with more memorable characters. 7 is just better in every other way, and, poo poo, 4 through 6 are the best in the series.. especially if you play the DS remakes.

I really want to gush about 7 because of how amazing it is, but I have to be honest about it. You won't even see your first combat until at least a half hour in, and the game is at least 100 hours long your first run through. That said, it's the most rewarding of the series, imo, because you get to rebuild a world from scratch and that poo poo is loving amazing. The way it's handled while you rebuild the world and AFTER you've rebuilt it is like nothing else I've seen and everyone really needs to play this game. It's ugly. It's like a PS1 port of a lovely SNES game, it's really that bad graphics wise but god drat. If you like DQ, just play it. If you don't, welp, sorry man, you're missing out.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fenrir posted:

You've got to be crazy. 9 isn't even a shadow of 7 or 8. Yeah, it looks better than 7 by a long shot, and the story may be a little tighter, but wow. 9 is probably the weakest DQ game I've seen since, I don't know when. It's way too short and relies too much on silly dressup games. 8 has a much better, more cohesive storyline with more memorable characters. 7 is just better in every other way, and, poo poo, 4 through 6 are the best in the series.. especially if you play the DS remakes.

I really want to gush about 7 because of how amazing it is, but I have to be honest about it. You won't even see your first combat until at least a half hour in, and the game is at least 100 hours long your first run through. That said, it's the most rewarding of the series, imo, because you get to rebuild a world from scratch and that poo poo is loving amazing. The way it's handled while you rebuild the world and AFTER you've rebuilt it is like nothing else I've seen and everyone really needs to play this game. It's ugly. It's like a PS1 port of a lovely SNES game, it's really that bad graphics wise but god drat. If you like DQ, just play it. If you don't, welp, sorry man, you're missing out.

Since I have it, guess I'm starting here!

I do want to bring up a couple things though - DQ9 is short, but has a massive endgame. The characters aren't great because they're blank slates or they're your friends. Few NPCs stuck with me, sure. Gameplay was incredibly fun though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, I don't meant to rip on DQ9 but ...ok yeah I'm gonna rip on DQ9. It was so short, and I guess that just came out of left field after 7 and 8 being two of the longest JRPGs not named Shin Megami Tensei: Something. I know there's only so much content they can fit on a DS cartridge, but drat. I can beat that game in literally 25 hours. The endgame feels big until you realize it's all recycled. It's a fun little game for what it is, but it just doesn't stand up against the rest of the series that well at all, imo.

Most of the endgame/postgame in 9 revolves around farming gear that you'll never actually need except to do more redundant rear end postgame, because you certainly don't need any of that poo poo to beat the game itself and there's not even a legit bonus boss like 6/7/8 had (and even the older games have better bonus content in the remakes, but 6 has by far the best bonus content). I also didn't like how 9 handled the job system, but that's a personal preference thing. I liked it more in 6/7 where you accumulate abilities and always have them once you learn them. I guess it made the games more grindy but, dude it's Dragon Quest. They're all grindy.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 19, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Eh, I don't meant to rip on DQ9 but ...ok yeah I'm gonna rip on DQ9. It was so short, and I guess that just came out of left field after 7 and 8 being two of the longest JRPGs not named Shin Megami Tensei: Something. I know there's only so much content they can fit on a DS cartridge, but drat. I can beat that game in literally 25 hours. The endgame feels big until you realize it's all recycled. It's a fun little game for what it is, but it just doesn't stand up against the rest of the series that well at all, imo.

That sounds great to me, since I was put off by it assuming it would be incredibly long and drawn out. Nearly all of my favourite JRPGs are in the 20 hour mark, from FFVI, Chrono Trigger, the Kingdom Hearts games, and all of the Mario RPGs. I do still have my DW VIII save at the 40 hour mark, which I enjoyed a lot once the job system was introduced, but I just ran out of steam.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fenrir posted:

I also didn't like how 9 handled the job system, but that's a personal preference thing. I liked it more in 6/7 where you accumulate abilities and always have them once you learn them.

That.. is how 9 worked? Each of my characters has pages and pages of abilities from mastering all the classes.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

What're the options for playing DW4? I've found NES English and SNES Japanese options, is there no English translation of the 16 bit version?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm amazed at how many disagreeable opinions get posted in this thread. 9 was amazing! Maybe it's because the game changed so much after 4, but it definitely feels like there's a split between people who prefer the style of the earlier games versus the later ones. 9 nonwithstanding, because it's very much in the style of the eaelier games.

chairface posted:

What're the options for playing DW4? I've found NES English and SNES Japanese options, is there no English translation of the 16 bit version?

There's a DS version of 4 in english as well!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I remember playing dragon quest monsters: joker and it was really grindy for me. Is that normal or was I just playing it wrong?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Fenrir posted:

Eh, I don't meant to rip on DQ9 but ... I can beat that game in literally 25 hours.

That's a selling point to a man my age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I like DQ7 but "it's 100 hours long" isn't the same as "those 100 hours are all fun." There's a lot of boring content in DQ7 that could have been streamlined or made more enjoyable or just shortened and it's really easy to see how people didn't have the patience for it. DQ9 is a lot more in that direction and while it is ~30 hours of gameplay, it's a lot better paced 30 hours of gameplay.

DQ8 is my favorite of the recent games mind you, but even then I think it could have been paced better and there were times it wore its welcome thin.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

chairface posted:

There isn't a SNES version, just an NES one, a PS1 one, and the DS one. You might have been confusing it with VI.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is there a translation of the PS Dragon Quest game(s) that didn't get released in the west?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fenrir posted:

True enough, but I still wouldn't recommend anyone start there now.

No, DW1 and 2 would not sell someone on the franchise - 1 for its lack of content and 2 for its unfairness and poor balance. However, anyone who has enjoyed other entries in the series should, in my opinion, play it to see how it all began.

That loving Sned posted:

There isn't a SNES version, just an NES one, a PS1 one, and the DS one. You might have been confusing it with VI.

I don't believe that the PS1 version of IV ever got an English release. If there's a translation patch of it out there, I've never seen it. The NES version is in English, of course, and the DS version is in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish, which is grand. Mind you, I will never understand why some companies do NA versions and EU versions of games that don't have NTSC/PAL regionalisation. Do they really think that Americans are going to reject a good game because they spell it "armour"?

Luceo posted:

drat, this talk of 7 is making me want to load it up again. I think I beat it quite thoroughly when it came out, but my save is on an old ePSXe .MCR memory card file. Even though I do own a physical copy of the game, I emulated it at the time since I didn't have a PS1. Any decent emulators lately support that format of memory card file? My complete SotN save is on it too :ohdear:

I would probably go this route for VII, as you did. I honestly can't see myself buying the PSX version of DQVII; I only bought VIII for the PS2 because I found the strategy guide at one local rare games shop and the game itself in another two hours later, and was swept up in the emotion of the moment. Portability is a really handy thing; computers are very portable these days, tablets and Smartphones are built around it, and portable game systems are now very powerful (I just got a 3DS and it is very pretty) and reasonably affordable. My not-quite-pathological OCD tendencies would probably love DQVII whilst compelling me to finish every little aspect of it, but doing that on my crappy sofa for 120 hours seems... oddly limiting. PSX emulation is quite good these days and a .pdf copy of the Prima guide to the game can be had if you're clever, so if I ever do get to VII then that's the route I will probably go.

While the devs could probably stand to reduce the grind, if they do a 5-language port of VII on the 3DS like they did with IV, V, VI and IX on the DS, then it's a day-one buy for me.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 19, 2014

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I remember playing dragon quest monsters: joker and it was really grindy for me. Is that normal or was I just playing it wrong?

It depends on what your goal in the game is.

If you just want to beat the main campaign, it's not too bad since you can just keep on grabbing the strongest monsters you can when you get to new areas. That's usually enough to get you through.

But if you want a team of made of special-boss monsters... then yeah, the amount of redundant breeding and grinding required is excessive to say the least.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'm going to have to play through 9 again sometime soon, what I remember is being satisfied but not particularly impressed after playing it the first time. I recall it just doesn't quite feel like a proper Dragon Quest game for some reason. I was happy enough with the interface changes and the visible monsters on the overworld and so on, but the end result was just slightly disappointing in some vague way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm going to have to play through 9 again sometime soon, what I remember is being satisfied but not particularly impressed after playing it the first time. I recall it just doesn't quite feel like a proper Dragon Quest game for some reason. I was happy enough with the interface changes and the visible monsters on the overworld and so on, but the end result was just slightly disappointing in some vague way.

It's unarguably a weird-feeling game. The way party members are handled shouldn't feel weird but does.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It's unarguably a weird-feeling game. The way party members are handled shouldn't feel weird but does.

It's Final Fantasy-like in that they're all blank slates. Makes sense, it's multiplayer.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I love DQ9 and I'll likely play it again once I'm done with the series (I've played it in a weird order and have yet to get through III or VIII) - thing is I quit shortly after the main quest. I didn't get what the endgame was supposed to be and couldn't understand the point of carrying on for clothes and items and whatever that didn't have an end point - did it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
DQ9's post game is pure timesink grinding. Legacy bosses at higher levels hit 3-4 times and can fire off several hundred damage AOEs. I'm not sure guys like Zoma are even beatable towards 99 without extreme rng in your favor. The grottos and such are cool but use the hoimi table if you run them because a 2% drop rate in a non-MMO is bullshit when it's a boss you're fighting.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ah yes. And this would be part of exactly why I wasn't interested three or four years ago. I hate the grind.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Yeah, there is normally no reward for all the grotto grinding other then more grottos. You can get high level gear with very, very low drop rates from certain bosses. Or you can exploit the random number generator to guarantee those drops, which is probably more fun than grinding out 2% drop rates - but if you're getting your fun out of exploiting the random number generator, you're probably better off doing something else.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vakal posted:

But if you want a team of made of special-boss monsters... then yeah, the amount of redundant breeding and grinding required is excessive to say the least.
It's absolutely absurd. But it scratches that itch for me, so I assume I'm the American version of their Japanese target audience for DQM...

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
God damnit, I forgot that you only get one save file in DQ9. So I guess I won't be playing it again anytime soon since I can't bear to delete the file from my first time through the game.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's absolutely absurd. But it scratches that itch for me, so I assume I'm the American version of their Japanese target audience for DQM...

Speaking of which, I'm surprised that the DQM series never really caught on that well over here. I've easily put in more than 10 times more hours playing DQM 1 and 2 than I have with Pokemon, but I seem to be in the vast minority.

The DQM2 remake looks so goddamn good and it's a shame that it's probably never getting brought over.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there a translation of the PS Dragon Quest game(s) that didn't get released in the west?

There's a fan translation for DQ5 for the PS2 with two flavors of spell/name localization if you wanted the higher quality music and slightly improved graphics than the DS version.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

spacebard posted:

There's a fan translation for DQ5 for the PS2 with two flavors of spell/name localization if you wanted the higher quality music and slightly improved graphics than the DS version.

There are also a couple other differences, the most noticable of which is that Debora is only a marriage option on the DS.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deki posted:

Speaking of which, I'm surprised that the DQM series never really caught on that well over here. I've easily put in more than 10 times more hours playing DQM 1 and 2 than I have with Pokemon, but I seem to be in the vast minority.

The DQM2 remake looks so goddamn good and it's a shame that it's probably never getting brought over.
I'd settle for the DQM1 remake. Those games are awesome, although I've probably put more time into Pokemon just because they actually release Pokemon games in America.

Prism posted:

There are also a couple other differences, the most noticable of which is that Debora is only a marriage option on the DS.
Everyone seems to think she's a joke option, but she was my choice by a mile :(

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Her party chat is funny and she's arguably the strongest of the 3 (stat wise for sure, but a little weaker on spell selection), so yeah.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
This is how I feel:
(kagami's line)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9gTjmtil4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't Bianca's plot super loving depressing if you don't marry her? That's mostly what I recall.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't Bianca's plot super loving depressing if you don't marry her? That's mostly what I recall.

It's toned down significantly in the remake, but yeah in the original it's loving awful. Then the game makes sure you know what you should have done when you're stuck with Flora - she only levels up to 20 and is absolutely useless.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 21, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ImpAtom posted:

I've never played the original SNES version, but yeah I've also heard that they made it less depressing in all the remakes if you don't marry Bianca. Also they apparently made Flora more viable, but I wouldn't know due to picking Debora and having no regrets whatsoever. She has an entertaining view on the world from party chat, and there's some great family banter later on as well.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Allarion posted:

I've never played the original SNES version, but yeah I've also heard that they made it less depressing in all the remakes if you don't marry Bianca. Also they apparently made Flora more viable, but I wouldn't know due to picking Debora and having no regrets whatsoever. She has an entertaining view on the world from party chat, and there's some great family banter later on as well.

I chose Bianca my first playthrough on the SNES, but when I got 5 for the DS, it was Deborah all the way. She's hilarious, despite my general bad luck with women named Deborah.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

So I just started Dragon Warrior VII on my PSP. Any tips, thoughts? I've seen talk about easily missed shards, is this going to hinder me? I tend to explore pretty well, and a couple of hours in it seems the game is spoon-feeding them to me.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is that the Playstation game, but you're playing it on your PSP? Or is there another version?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Is that the Playstation game, but you're playing it on your PSP? Or is there another version?

Yeah. His Playstation Portable. (It's the PSX version.)

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeah. His Playstation Portable. (It's the PSX version.)

This, yup. No savestate abuse with this. Because I likely totally would.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
So a(nother) Dragon Quest CCG was released in March of this year, and apparently it's pretty good? I'd buy it if it was in English, at least. Maybe these guys get some inserts made up I'll get some cards and try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Wee Bairns posted:

This, yup. No savestate abuse with this. Because I likely totally would.

It's always fun to roll up to the casino in the old games with $5 in your pocket and just doubling up until everyone is kitted out with platinum armor.

That said, I never had much luck save state abusing the DS DQ games. All the values seem set as soon as you enter the room, so all battles just end up playing out the same. Same goes for the dice rolls on the TnT boards.

I tried a few different emulators with no difference, so I'm assuming it's just how the games are programmed.