Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

skaboomizzy posted:

Don't do it for me, do it for everyone else. I already have two Dengue Fever albums and a bunch of Ros Sereyosthea songs.
It's great stuff! I know Cement Slippers was them being forced to try to go mainstream, but I even love that.

Here's Thailand, same era. Not as fiery and eclectic as Khmer rock, but still fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8JzYC-HCHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5kCwrDQ9cc

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Recommending The Two Man Gentlemen Band because they sing a truly dignified song about America's greatest* President.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0SigntobjE

*greatness measured by mass

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I wonder if you guys have heard this one. It's by a black man rapping about America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i am now drunk and here to post. hello. i am full of greek food, beer, and also smoked hella hookah.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Swan Oat posted:

i am now drunk and here to post. hello. i am full of greek food, beer, and also smoked hella hookah.

Good post. I like this post.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

i'm also listening to charli xcx, i get an 80s madonna vibe from her music and i really dig it. nuclear seasons is a good song. i'm glad you liked my post :)

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I am working toward 16 oz of bourbon (maybe more!) and listening to Sleater-Kinney while playing Borderlands 2. Eventually I'm gonna get to one of the most torturous recordings ever made; one of Elliott Smith's final performances, where he's already hosed up and an ex-gf heckles him between songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R57A8naur18

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

what do you guys think about kendrick lamar? he's good to me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Japanese television, particularly variety shows, get a bad rap in the west. It's often just seen as mindless physical torture, but this glosses over the psychological torture which is truly the most prevalent and amusing aspect. To be fair, a lot of shows are just mindless derivative smut. Some shows demonstrate a high degree of complexity, often employ meta- and anti-humor.

The show Gaki no Tsukai Ya Arahende!! ('This is no task for kids!!) is famous for the horrific batsu (punishment) games. The key aspect is that you have comedians, who spend all day for a living making each other laugh, forced to run a gauntlet of skits and surreal tableaux designed to make them laugh, where they will be beaten if they laugh. The entire resources and effort of the television production go to constructing a simulation of real life with the sole purpose of making comedians laugh under duress. It's kind of amazing.

In this clip, all five of the main comedians (among the most famous and well respected comedians in Japan) are supposed to be spies. One of them, for no apparent reason, gets punked out by a Dutchman. None of them understand a word of Dutch.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgwqwn_subbed-spy-07_fun&start=189

Also this does not really need any explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07qt94nl2fg

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Love those guys.

I think my favorite one had to be 24 hour tag though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Tag is so solid they keep bringing it back in segments, even though Matsumoto and Hamada are so old they can't really run for their lives anymore.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Swan Oat posted:

A student recommended him to me. It was good.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm smoking my pipe and I spilled hot ash on one leg and when I reflexively jerked I spilled more hot ash on my other leg. :supaburn:

Re: music, here's some Ayreon, apropos of nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsA7sowKO5E

loving love these guys. Prog metal, gently caress yeah :rock:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

he is good to me, as well

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

N. Senada posted:

I wonder if you guys have heard this one. It's by a black man rapping about America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

:madmax:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
plese do not disrespect the office of the President of the United States in this thread, and subforum. thank.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

paranoid randroid posted:

plese do not disrespect the office of the President of the United States in this thread, and subforum. thank.
I think its been a couple of years? Should we have another thread in celebration of The Best President (Ronnie) to properly document his Great Deeds?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
blast from t past

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1076716&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
in the interests of decency, please do not

1) laugh at pictures of Former President Roanld Wilson Reagan and say "woo, who ordered the ugly oatmeal!"
2) post movie posters involving Former President Ronald Wilson Reagan getting second billing to a chimpanzee
2a) append the above with "lmao"
3) post pictures of unsafe cheeses such as casu marzu with captions suggesting that they are pictures of Former President Ronald Wilson Reagan's brain while in office

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 20, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Holy poo poo, 10 literal, actual years.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
god i'm so glad that ronald reagan is dead, here's to dick cheney going next!!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also i was just listening to marc maron's podcast with stewart lee (yeah man) and they were talking about dead bill hicks and how he'd hate what he became after death. so i decided to google imagine search him and it's white text over a black and white picture paradise. also there seems to be a group of people who seem to think bill hicks looks like alex jones? i'm going to assume this is mainly alex jones himself. if not, it further proves that faceblindness is far more common than anyone suspected.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

god i'm so glad that ronald reagan is dead, here's to dick cheney going next!!

Dick Cheney will never die since he's Satan's agent on earth and has already survived (roughly) 2,434 heart attacks.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

is it a good rule of thumb that a politician who actively uses "common sense" as a slogan should be treated with skepticism at best, hostility at worst

Sadly common sense solutions arn't all that common these days. :sigh:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

Dick Cheney will never die since he's Satan's agent on earth and has already survived (roughly) 2,434 heart attacks.
ha-ha, i was just going to do an ironic post about how people say that cheney will never die because he's a robot with no heart but now i can't.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As Benjamin Franklin famously said, life's only certainties are death, taxes, and Cheney.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

R. Mute posted:

also i was just listening to marc maron's podcast with stewart lee (yeah man) and they were talking about dead bill hicks and how he'd hate what he became after death. so i decided to google imagine search him and it's white text over a black and white picture paradise. also there seems to be a group of people who seem to think bill hicks looks like alex jones? i'm going to assume this is mainly alex jones himself. if not, it further proves that faceblindness is far more common than anyone suspected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8kgZ9AAXhU

And there's that.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

personally i think cheney will die some day of natural causes and i plan to celebrate it

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Swan Oat posted:

personally i think cheney will die some day of natural causes and i plan to celebrate it

Maggie Thatcher did eventually kick it, so I guess there's hope after all.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Oh god the unironic defenses of Reagonomics.

GBS is retarded.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
just saw a baby w an opened skull & a headless child, cool, cool, death to israel, cool

xylo don't let francostein gas my i/p thread

goodnight

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

razorrozar posted:

Maggie Thatcher did eventually kick it, so I guess there's hope after all.

What shall we sing to commemorate? Ding dong, the witch is dead again?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What shall we sing to commemorate? Ding dong, the witch is dead again?

Works for me. The classics are always the best.

Unrelated: crosspost because I know comes along bort reads this thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

razorrozar posted:

Works for me. The classics are always the best.

Unrelated: crosspost because I know comes along bort reads this thread.

I actually had this very discussion with someone recently over the following image:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Absurd, you know I'm not really upset at you, right? I was poking fun at myself for saying stupid poo poo. You're a cool dude and you contribute positively to every discussion you post in.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They did the Coke name campaign here in Asia last year and it was all family names like "mother," "sister," "brother" and so on. You can suss out an interesting social commentary from that difference.

Share a Coke is absolutely genius marketing because it's stupid loving sugar water, yet now everyone's running around buying more of it. And it came out of Australia. Good show, boys in flip flops! Time to head down to the nearest hotel and drink until they throw you out at 10 or whatever your crazy laws are! Good on ya, you've earned it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

razorrozar posted:

Absurd, you know I'm not really upset at you, right? I was poking fun at myself for saying stupid poo poo. You're a cool dude and you contribute positively to every discussion you post in.

Aww, shucks. :blush: I know, I just feel the need to follow through on these things, even when I know it's just facetious, on the off chance that I'm misreading and I had actually managed to offend somebody on the internet by proving them wrong on some minor derail thingie. It's good on you for being a sport about it, though; lots of people are much more interested in winning an argument than being right.

Consider someone who decided that this story from Time.com was link-bait. Why? Well, because Buzzfeed is full of this type of nonsense, including using numbers that are no longer valid, unlike Al Jazeera, or other respectable news outlets. But this is Time, not Buzzfeed? Well, Time has been going down in quality lately, unlike Al Jazeera. What, you're saying Al Jazeera is quoting the same inflated 100 researchers killed number? Oh, well, at least they are sourcing their claim. Time is sourcing theirs to the same Australian news agency? Well, they've had poor standards in the past. Won't read the story if you don't copy it to me. What, you've copied it to me? Oh, well, I won't read past the 100 figure which is already known as false. :fuckoff:

Anyway, I always look forward to distorted Riker-face. :shobon:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Didn't Time literally copypaste Tal Fortgang's "Why I'll never apologize for my white male privilege" essay from the Princeton Tory, complete with all the spelling and grammar errors back in May?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Didn't Time literally copypaste Tal Fortgang's "Why I'll never apologize for my white male privilege" essay from the Princeton Tory, complete with all the spelling and grammar errors back in May?

I actually get a print subscription through an air miles program (which I'm not renewing), I don't really follow their online stuff. It wouldn't surprise me, and I'm not all that impressed with them, but their short story on the downed Malaysian Airlines flight wasn't a particular instant where they were giving off a Buzzfeedy vibe. For example, I never click links with titles like "This Cat Was Sad. YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT", because that's really click-bait.

• Locked thread